As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Diablo 3] old thread is old

• fortyforty Registered User regular
    It feels so arbitrary, that damage I deal comes from pets but on hit does not, and cold pets aren't cold skills. I would assume using the ice golem's cold blast would count as a skill (since it's clearly like casting a spell and is on cooldown), but commanding the skeletons isn't? And yet some things in the game are really clear on that point like Inarius's set says "...increasing the damage they take from the Necromancer by 3750%" and you know that doesn't mean pets.

Anyway on a different note...I was trying to do the season challenge to beat a torment X regular rift in 6 minutes and kept getting terrible maps with stretches where you'd walk for 5 seconds with nothing at all. And somehow on one map there were like 7 treasure goblins clustered together which was insane! It wasn't the blue one that splits, there was a green one and a white one and a red one and a bunch of gold ones. I don't know if it was incredible luck or if that's a programmed thing that happens rarely.
    Yeah, there are a few unintuitive interactions, but the game is so much more consistent and honest about things than D2 ever was, with its constantly lying character sheet and all sorts of skills and uniques that wouldn't interact with each other. Most of the time in D3, if something seems like it should synergize with something else or increase damage, it actually does.

• ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    Treasure goblin hordes are a thing, you just got lucky is all

Its usually tough as hell to get all or even most of them down

If you've got a Captain America built Crusader, they're not so bad.

The hard part is getting the Captain America build.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »
    https://kotaku.com/sources-blizzard-pulled-diablo-4-announcement-from-bli-1830232246
    When Blizzard’s sole Diablo announcement at this year’s BlizzCon turned out to be a game for phones, it set off a firestorm of angry reactions from fans who had hoped for a new Diablo on PC. As it turns out, Kotaku has learned, Blizzard had originally planned to tease Diablo 4, but pulled those plans at the last minute.

The original plan for BlizzCon 2018, according to two people familiar with Blizzard’s plans, was for Blizzard to announce the mobile game Diablo Immortal and then end on a video in which company co-founder Allen Adham told the audience that a proper Diablo 4 was in development but not ready to show just yet. Instead, at last Friday’s keynote, Blizzard revealed Diablo Immortal to a quiet, uncomfortable crowd and then ended the show

Ha, Blizz shot themselves in the foot something fierce. (Schreier is highly unlikely to have run this without solid sourcing, he's one of the better actual reporter games folk)
    This is baffling to me.

Like, I will go on record as being... I'll be polite and say "very put off" by the intensity of the fan reaction to Diablo Immortal, but also I'm stunned by how poorly Blizzard announced it. I saw some articles with headlines that Blizzard is very surprised by the negative fan reaction? If that's true, then they are the dumbest dummies in the entire world. But also, I kind of don't believe it, because being surprised means that they never once went to r/Diablo, and if that's true then their market research department needs to be fired immediately.

They 100% should have announced Immortal as the very first thing in the lineup. People would still have been excited (instead of being bored by no major announcements), and if the audience reacted to the announcement with silence, well hey here's a really pretty Overwatch cinematic, and let's giggle at the poor Hearthstone guy's mic not working or whatever, here's Saurfang y'all love Saurfang, anyway see you next year! ...But actually, before we go, check this shit out *screen says "D4", entire audience faints* WE LOVE YOU GOOD NIGHT

Fucking, hire me, Blizzard.

I can't find the link right now but I did read that Blizz did not at all intend Diablo: Immortal to be the show closer. Technical difficulties exacerbated an already bad situation, forcing D:I into the closer slot it was never intended to be in.

• rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    D:I had the premier floor space and panels and demos set up, I find it hard to believe that it wasn’t at least close to last.

Also it’s looking to me like the biggest impedement to a D4 announce is that the title may yet be Titan’ed, since they are rumored to have gone through two directors and a big change in direction each time. Now on the third director they could practically be at the drawing board again at this point.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    valiance wrote: »
    Delduwath wrote: »
    SNIP
    SNIP

I can't find the link right now but I did read that Blizz did not at all intend Diablo: Immortal to be the show closer. Technical difficulties exacerbated an already bad situation, forcing D:I into the closer slot it was never intended to be in.

I didn't know blizzard opened a new office in the great state of Excuseachusetts. I guess their dog ate the twitter release on that?

is there a list of switch d3 people?

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Excuseachusetts is good, I'm going to steal that one

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    mojojoeo wrote: »

That's a good idea. I am on the list.

I think online I've also seen skeldare, Wraithverge, and TimFiji, and I know there were a couple others too.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    I'm up to GR60 now and I can still do them with like 5 minutes to spare but I die at least once every time.

Should I switch to doing really easy ones like 20 or 30 just to complete them quickly and level up gems faster until they get to that level?

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • TarantioTarantio Registered User regular
    You get an extra upgrade if you don't die (on the PC at least) and better rewards at higher levels.

5 minutes to spare is plenty of time, so either go for the highest you can consistently do without dying, or maybe change your build around for survivability.

edited November 2018
    I think I need the legendary gem Molten Wildebeest's Gizzard mainly, a lot of people seem to say that greatly helps survivability with minimum effort.

Right now I only have one socket on my jewelry anyway so there is a lot of room for improvement.

UncleSporky on
  • NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    For low level gems, consider travel time as well as killing speed. By that I mean, it might take the same amount of time to clear a 30 as a 20. If you're empowering the rift with gold the 20 is cheaper, but the 30 will give more XP and can give more items.

The rest of the time, it's important to understand how the upgrade chance works. It's guaranteed if the GR level is 10 higher than the gem. It drops off below that ( 90% at +9, 80% at +8, ... ) but holds at 60% from GR=gem+6 down to GR=gem. It drops to 30% and lower once the gem level exceeds the GR level.

So, for mid-level gems, you want to go at least 12 GR levels higher to guarantee that all 3 upgrades will occur. If you aren't dying, you'd need to be 13 higher, and if you're empowering you'd need to be 14 higher. That is, you'd need GR44 to take a gem from 30 to 35.

For high-level gems (high being relative to your record), going 12-14 levels higher may be difficult / impossible, so you can fall back on that 60% chance window. If you just wanted to get a lvl 59 gem to 60, you'd have that same 60% chance in GRs 59-65.

TL;DR- 60% at GR=gem, 100% from "12-14 levels higher than what the gem is before upgrades" ...or... "9 levels higher than what the gem will be after upgrades.", whichever you find easier to remember.

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • MorranMorran Registered User regular
    I'm currently running through act 5 in plain ordinary solo play mode to see the new content i did not play before (only played the game on release).

After that, what is the most fun way of playing the remaining classes? I assume adventure mode? Would a seasonal character make sense given a somewhat limited time budget for gaming and focus on single player mode?

I gave up on seasons due to not playing enough to even complete the journey before the season ends. YMMV because getting that full set is pretty sweet I hear.

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    Morran wrote: »
    I'm currently running through act 5 in plain ordinary solo play mode to see the new content i did not play before (only played the game on release).

After that, what is the most fun way of playing the remaining classes? I assume adventure mode? Would a seasonal character make sense given a somewhat limited time budget for gaming and focus on single player mode?

Yeah, Adventure Mode. It's Diablo 3 with all the story cut off, leaving you with just missions and loot.
    Depending on how limited your time budget is, start a seasonal character so you can get the seasonal set gear. Saves you time and frustration of hoping that it drops for you.

If your time budget is limited to the point where the season journey is not doable, then there's no real benefit to starting one, though since you keep all your seasonal gear and levels, there's no real downside to starting a character out as a seasonal either.

• IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    I like to play Act 1 with every new character I create before switching over to adventure mode but that's just me.

Incindium on
    steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • fortyforty Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    Morran wrote: »

Yeah, Adventure Mode. It's Diablo 3 with all the story cut off, leaving you with just missions and loot.
    Depending on how limited your time budget is, start a seasonal character so you can get the seasonal set gear. Saves you time and frustration of hoping that it drops for you.

If your time budget is limited to the point where the season journey is not doable, then there's no real benefit to starting one, though since you keep all your seasonal gear and levels, there's no real downside to starting a character out as a seasonal either.
    Well, the downside would be not having access to your non-seasonal gold, stash, materials, and leveled-up crafters.

edited November 2018
    Officially Official List of Nintendo Switch Diablo 3 Players

UncleSporky - 5443-2358-9118
    skeldare - 3353-5433-5137
    Wraithverge - 0125-6851-0236
    TimFiji - 2322-2047-3148
    Stormwatcher - 5961-4777-3491
    TNTrooper - 6905-2510-1809
    DoctorArch - 6732-9515-9697
    Lindsay Lohan - 4979-2868-8944
    themightypuck - 1501-9129-2620
    urahonky - 0354-0000-5457
    Kyanilis - 2835-3370-3810
    eMoander - 3304-2356-9421
    Kreutz - 1865-7515-8884
    Entaru

Rehab
    mojojoeo
    DarkMecha

UncleSporky on
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    I very much wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

I'll post my FC tonight.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    I would say that if your time budget is limited, there's an even better reason to start seasonal this season: double bounty caches. That means double the gold and blues/yellows (aka basic crafting materials), which is nice, but even more importantly this means double the chance at the cache-only legendaries (I remember farming Act 1 for the RORG back in that day and it was torture; I had several from this season after a few days of play) and double the cache-specific crafting materials, which are useful early on for all the cube recipes.

• KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    I'll have to check my FC again but I've been sinking plenty of time into D3 Switch so

• themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018

I think online I've also seen skeldare, Wraithverge, and TimFiji, and I know there were a couple others too.

I'm mightypuck. Just got D3 for Switch. No idea how online works on the platform. Code is SW-1501-9129-2620

themightypuck on
    “Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    I pretty much exclusively play seasonal for a few reasons:

1. to me the fun of Diablo 3 is getting a new character from Shit to God
    2. doing the seasonal journey maps pretty directly onto that path, with the booster L70 set and goals that line up with basically everything you want to do to get Swole plus a couple not-bad little diversions
    3. doing so once every ~4 months is just often enough to keep the game fun and fresh despite receiving little in the way of changes in over a year
    4. organizing my non-seasonal stash is a Drag so instead I just never log onto non-seasonal characters. remember when diablo 2 deleted your bnet characters if you didn't log on for a bit? that's non-seasonal, to me
    5. the seasonal events so far have been pretty minor but not bad

I'm mightypuck. Just got D3 for Switch. No idea how online works on the platform.

To play anything online now you need to play for their online service, which is $20 a year, or $35 for a family group of up to 8 people for a year. Some people around here may have a family group they could add you to for free/cheap (mine is full). There aren't any limitations for being in a group, it's identical to just paying for yourself and you can leave again at any time, though the group owner could be a real asshole and set you as a child account to limit your options, but I think most people wouldn't do stuff like that.

On the main screen you go to your icon on the top left and look at your profile for your friend code to distribute to others, or you can do it the other way around and add others' codes and they will get friend invites from you.

• RussadRussad MARegistered User regular
    To play anything online now you need to play for their online service

Isn't it dependent on the publisher to make this determination? Thought I saw something about, for example, Fortnite not requiring a Switch Online sub.

Russad wrote: »
    To play anything online now you need to play for their online service

Isn't it dependent on the publisher to make this determination? Thought I saw something about, for example, Fortnite not requiring a Switch Online sub.

Yes but it's very rare. Fortnite might be one of two exceptions. In their case they want as many people playing their game as possible to buy into their ecosystem, they make their money based on people being able to play for free.

I'm mightypuck. Just got D3 for Switch. No idea how online works on the platform.

To play anything online now you need to play for their online service, which is $20 a year, or $35 for a family group of up to 8 people for a year. Some people around here may have a family group they could add you to for free/cheap (mine is full). There aren't any limitations for being in a group, it's identical to just paying for yourself and you can leave again at any time, though the group owner could be a real asshole and set you as a child account to limit your options, but I think most people wouldn't do stuff like that.

On the main screen you go to your icon on the top left and look at your profile for your friend code to distribute to others, or you can do it the other way around and add others' codes and they will get friend invites from you.

So I'm guessing it is not like the PC where you can join a public game.

― Marcus Aurelius

You should still be able to join randos as long as you have that switch online subscription.

• taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    So, in d2 and d3 back when it launched I really liked the difficulty, i.e i was happiest when there was the chance the party could wipe to a tricky elite mob etc. I picked it up for the switch last week after not playing since d3's launch year and i'm really..eh..with the difficulty? It's just beeen a cakewalk the entire time. I'm up to torment 6 now on my first character and i was assuming torment 1 was where it'd start getting challenging, but it's still just everyone racing from point a to point b as fast as they can disintegrating everything with no risk..Does it ever get hard? It seems by the time i gear up to go up a difficulty level so things don't 1 hit me, they don't hurt me at all and it's a cakewalk. I'd like some equilibrium :( I started on expert and switched up to master and torment as soon as they were available.

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • KlatuKlatu Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi OiRegistered User regular
    The difficulty comes from Greater Rifts these days. You will reach a point where the damage output is too much for you to survive.

Steam id:Klatu - PS id: Klatu_PA - 3DS FC: 0920-0528-6680
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    @UncleSporky you can add me but I'm a filthy casual. Only an hour a day for gaming at the moment so I won't be on enough to help anyone out lol.

• WraithvergeWraithverge Registered User regular
    So, in d2 and d3 back when it launched I really liked the difficulty, i.e i was happiest when there was the chance the party could wipe to a tricky elite mob etc. I picked it up for the switch last week after not playing since d3's launch year and i'm really..eh..with the difficulty? It's just beeen a cakewalk the entire time. I'm up to torment 6 now on my first character and i was assuming torment 1 was where it'd start getting challenging, but it's still just everyone racing from point a to point b as fast as they can disintegrating everything with no risk..Does it ever get hard? It seems by the time i gear up to go up a difficulty level so things don't 1 hit me, they don't hurt me at all and it's a cakewalk. I'd like some equilibrium :( I started on expert and switched up to master and torment as soon as they were available.

You got lucky drops or the Season Journey set then. T1 is typically a wall (a short one for an experienced player) and T6 is where you go when you finally got that 6 piece bonus. If T6 is too easy, why not try T10? It goes to 13, I doubt you'll say it is a cakewalk when you bump it up. ALSO: ensure you aren't getting a false sense of power/security from other players. Sometimes I think I'm annihilating everything but realize it was my brother's insane Crusader Sweep build wiping packs out in 1 shot.

edited November 2018

D3 is all about Greater Rifts which get exponentially harder. PoE is a little better at this but they have also discovered that you need to appeal to the masses.

themightypuck on
    ― Marcus Aurelius

• taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular

You got lucky drops or the Season Journey set then. T1 is typically a wall (a short one for an experienced player) and T6 is where you go when you finally got that 6 piece bonus. If T6 is too easy, why not try T10? It goes to 13, I doubt you'll say it is a cakewalk when you bump it up. ALSO: ensure you aren't getting a false sense of power/security from other players. Sometimes I think I'm annihilating everything but realize it was my brother's insane Crusader Sweep build wiping packs out in 1 shot.

I've actually pretty much just been running rifts and greater rifts w/ the odd bounty so I haven't made any progress on the season journey set at all. And yeah since torment 1 it's been if I flick up to the next torment level too soon I get instantly annihilated, it just seems like it's binary so far. I.e Torment 3 will be a cakewalk and 4 will have things that one shot me, then i'll get say (this actually happened) a chestplate that increases my condemn damage by $texas and something else that reduces its cooldown and with that tier 4 will be a cakewalk where I heal faster then i take damage and 1 shot groups. Then t5 will one shot me until it switches to the opposite and I one shot everything. The next level up always seems to be "olol one shotted by everything impossible" or "olol one shot everything" the ramping is..bad? I dunno.

steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    So I'm a new player...I started with the Story, was that not the right option? I feel like a lot of folks are playing Adventure.

• DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Most players play adventure but there's nothing wrong with the story mode, it's just a pretty specific, static experience while adventure mode just opens up the game so you can do everything and more

• KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Story mode is good once, but adventure mode is where the exp and loot is

2x39jD4.jpg
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    Story mode is good once, but adventure mode is where the exp and loot is

Story mode kinda blows in D3. They forgot the whole less is more thing.

― Marcus Aurelius

• soylenthsoylenth Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Do the story once just to see it, and then romp in the blood-soaked fields of adventure mode.

• KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    So my friend code is 2835-3370-3810!

• Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Mine is 4979-2868-8944 but I probably won't be on again until Saturday.