As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Board Games] aren't worth playing until you add at least five expansions

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    It's hard to beat Skull.

Ah, but its so easy to break Skull. I wish the coasters had protectant.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Played Fist of Dragonstones over lunch.

Very fun! Very interesting watching what people did or did not bid on, including near the end of the game when there were a lot of avenues to win. Of course.. I got stolen from 4 rounds out of 5, and the only reason I wasn't on the last round was because the thief didn't appear by the time the game was won.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    JonBob wrote: »
    Masquerade has a bunch of setup between games.
    That doesn't sound right. Reset to 6 coins, shuffle, and deal.
    That's the setup for Coup, minus 4 coins.
    The setup for Masquerade is that, plus everyone scan the table for the cards you care about ... okay now flip them over. Okay now the first 4 people swap-cards-maybe with someone else. Okay now the game starts.

My argument has always been there are more approachable games for this. Coup, Cockroach Poker and Skull, off the top of my head.

No? I genuinely do not believe that Mascarade is at all significantly more difficult or hassle than any of those games you listed. If anything, I find it easier, depending on the crowd and situation.

For me, the biggest divider between those games is the number of players in the group; Coup is the best at 2-4, Skull works for about 4-6, and if I have 6-10 I'd much prefer to be playing Mascarade.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    shrug
    I am glad everyone else is having such an easy time cracking out Masquerade.

All that Yomi talk a few weeks ago really got me thinking about the game again. I've held on to my 1st edition release copy through the years but haven't gotten anything newer than that first box. I'd like to get into playing it more, and should probably seek out the second season decks just to have it all. Then again, maybe this is also an elaborate deflection to keep "playing fighting games" while I'm doing an awful job committing to playing fighting actual games ... Heh.

• psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    My experience with Catacombs is only a couple of plays but it was utterly miserable and we all sort of agreed that it leaned heavily on the DM pulling their punches to give the players a fighting chance.

Very pretty though

That's why I made an excel spreadsheet that lets the heroes select their characters and then recommended a series of rooms of certain difficulty and final boss based on the power level of the heroes. You can download it from bgg.

If I had more skill it would be an app...

Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    Yomi is easier to improve at then fighting games, imo.

*chants 'Doooo it! Doooo it!' from a nearby bush*

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited November 2018

It doesn't have execution as a factor, so basically by default. I would say most (all?) board games are easier to improve at than fighting games.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    played Champions of Midgard tonight and really really liked it

we played with both expansions, and the mountain one seems kiiiiiinda superfluous, it seems like maybe only put that in play with 5 players? but the Valhalla stuff ruled, that game's really good

6F32U1X.png
  • WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Yeah, the Mountains one was a bit of an afterthought, which was a shame, the archer dice were pretty strong. Valhalla one is IMO similar to Waterdeep's Skullport expansion in that it injects an additional interesting layer into the whole thing.

We have tried cramming in six players, and it's still manageable, but the first player marker is sooo important, because six dudes makes things hella cramped and it's always a race to the good spots. We added an extra overseas monster slot, and it's worked out so far, but only just. Never do this if even one of you has AP, though.

Valhalla is a good example of the best kind of expansion, which is take something you didn't even realize sucked about the game and seamlessly revamps it into an essential part of the experience

others that come to mind are Flamme Rouge's Peloton expansion, and it sure seems like the upcoming Seasons of Inis will do the same thing

6F32U1X.png
    So, something kinda nuts that I just found looking for info on when the Riverfolk expansion for Root will be reprinted: they're just openly talking about and sharing work-in-progress images of the second expansion for Root?
    two new factions:
    - Murder of Crows, all about secrets and espionage
    - Moles, about digging and hand management

2 new maps:
    - Spring, featuring a large mountain range that you can hire mercenary moles to dig you tunnels through that create shortcuts around the map and score points for whoever rules certain tunnel spaces each turn
    - Summer, featuring a lake the players can navigate that is run by either the Riverfolk player or, if the Riverfolk aren’t present, a barge that goes from shore to shore when people use it

Murder of Crows:
    - the Crows infiltrate other players’ buildings and force them to take their Agent cards, card that do nothing but take up space in their hand, and if they get rid of them the Crows get the cards back and then score points
    - they don’t battle, they don’t build, and they can move anywhere
    - they have Plot cards with schemes they are trying to bring to fruition that let them do things like destroy the buildings they have infiltrated, or steal cards from other players, or cause other factions to fight each other
    1WDPCZR.jpg
    WIP Crow playerboard

tcUZ4qU.jpg
    WIP Summer map

KJQexfb.jpg
    WIP Spring map

This is all just in a Google Drive Leder Games openly links to on their website?

Transparency? in games? what even is this?

6F32U1X.png
  • 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    played Champions of Midgard tonight and really really liked it

we played with both expansions, and the mountain one seems kiiiiiinda superfluous, it seems like maybe only put that in play with 5 players? but the Valhalla stuff ruled, that game's really good

I don't know the Mountain events only ever take gold and don't kill your guys so they are much less punishing then the ocean.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    Leder has been really open in development all the way back to before the release of Vast. You can print-and-play all the stuff they are working on. This is almost necessary for their model, since asymmetry on this scale demands lots and lots of testing.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Root was available as both print-and-play and a TTS module before it was Kickstarted.

• Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Arkham Horror 3rd edition is impossible.

• Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    Played Dungeon Degenerates for the first time. It was fun, and significantly smoother than the rulebook made it out to be. I love the way combat resolves. I love the art. It's a fun fantasy adventure game, though I don't know if there's anything there that would change your mind if you didn't like fantasy adventure games. I'm glad I grabbed a good deal on a used copy.

Polaritie wrote: »

It doesn't have execution as a factor, so basically by default. I would say most (all?) board games are easier to improve at than fighting games.

If you want a fighter without Touch of Death, now is a great time to meet your lord and savior Soul Calibur.

• MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    Arkham Horror 3rd edition is impossible.

After 2 attempted playthroughs of the card game, we determined that normal difficulty was impossible 2 player (even when we knew what was coming the 2nd run). Switching to easy mode made the difficulty juuuuuuust right.

FFG lost the ability to scale well back in Arkham Horror 2nd edition.

• BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    I am now the owner of a slightly over-priced copy or Root. It is gorgeous and I'm pretty sure I will be buying all the expansions just to fondle the components and gaze longingly at the art.

• AetherAether Registered User regular
    Just finished the last case of Mythos Tales, with a whopping 32 points. During the whole box we only failed one case, case 6. From what I can gather on the BGG forums, many consider Case 6 to be bullshit anyway. We managed to get the "best" solve for a three of the cases, including the last.

Now that we've completely finished the box, I stand by my statements from after the first few. Easier than Consulting Detective, I prefer the theme of Consulting Detective, but Mythos Tales is mechanically better. The time tracker is so-so, but gives you a good idea about how much time you should be using. The requirement cards really make it shine though, and go some way to prevent some of the sequence breaking that can happen in SHCD. If there are more Sherlock cases coming, I hope they "borrow" the mechanic.

There were a few errors, even in the second printing, but it only was a problem in the Dream Arkham case, and we managed to find errata because we were so confused during that case
    directions to a location given didn't make sense on the map
    Laughed when we worked out that Armitage was being kept in his office, took more than the 10 leads to finish, but we foiled the Order so it didn't matter.

On to Detective, which seems to have divided opinions, and hopefully by the time we've worked our way through that Chronicles of Crime will have had a general release.

Bogart wrote: »
    I am now the owner of a slightly over-priced copy or Root. It is gorgeous and I'm pretty sure I will be buying all the expansions just to fondle the components and gaze longingly at the art.
    Well those are the game's strong points, so that's a good plan. ;P
    But for serious, good stuff. I really do hope people get long-term enjoyment out of this game.

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Man, it's not fair. I got some people in my play group into the Keyforge hype when they'd heard nothing about it before, and now they get to go to a pre-release event whilst I'm not free!

Days extra I'll be waiting, days!

MhCw7nZ.gif
    The weird thing is Leder is also openly saying they might use some of the factions fans have been homebrewing

Like I think the moles they’re working on were originally created by a fan on BGG, which...I don’t know how that works, legally or ethically

6F32U1X.png
  • FremFrem Registered User regular
    Man, it's not fair. I got some people in my play group into the Keyforge hype when they'd heard nothing about it before, and now they get to go to a pre-release event whilst I'm not free!

Get ‘em to bring back a couple decks so you can try it! My FLGS has a limit of two for the pre-release.

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Frem wrote: »

Get ‘em to bring back a couple decks so you can try it! My FLGS has a limit of two for the pre-release.

Hopefully my starter box with four decks (two set, two random) will have come through the post by the time I see him next anyway and that seems to be plenty to be going with. I'm, just very impatient/jealous.

MhCw7nZ.gif
    I think at my prerelease you get to keep the deck they give you, but...that's just one deck, so I still can't show it to the people in my group until it comes out

which is only 4 days, but still

6F32U1X.png
    Gonna be so many keys forged on that day.

I'm sure this has come up a few times, but I never had to pay attention before - are there any recommended games to pick up on the android ecosystem? I had a moment of "OH, MAYBE!? ..." with Yomi this morning before the ensuing disappointment that it was only on iOS. :(

• WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Random Lords of Waterdeep thought, idea for an expansion:

- Bards as wildcard resources (a different shade of green from the Green player... lime? EDIT: or pink??), can be used for any adventurer token requirements, but only in quests - shenanigans via Intrigue cards will only affect bards if they are explicitly stated.
    - Revamp the first turn action source to enable bidding for first turn a la Caylus. Wondering if this space can also give you a bard, or a chance to play an Intrigue card, or whatever you choose.
    - Finally add the house-ruled action space that wipes out the buildings for sale. Possibly place restrictions on it, or something.

Wearingglasses on
  • JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    The weird thing is Leder is also openly saying they might use some of the factions fans have been homebrewing

Like I think the moles they’re working on were originally created by a fan on BGG, which...I don’t know how that works, legally or ethically
    Legally there's almost no question they are in the clear. It could be ethically murky. Given the company history I would wager they would work with the creator to give proper credit/compensation.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • BedlamBedlam Registered User regular

I emalied the local game shop and their event isnt actually planned for the 10th :(

Theres a sealed tournament I can go to that night though but its an hour away. Good news is it looks like they have an extra swag package they are giving out? Bad news is trying to navigate a city Im not familiar with when its going to be dark because fuck daylight savings.

Got the regular board game group as a fallback at least. Just no keys to be forged there.

• Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    Gonna be so many keys forged on that day.

I'm sure this has come up a few times, but I never had to pay attention before - are there any recommended games to pick up on the android ecosystem? I had a moment of "OH, MAYBE!? ..." with Yomi this morning before the ensuing disappointment that it was only on iOS. :(

Through the ages
    Neuroshima Hex

I think those are the only two I have installed. I'd bet there are more.

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    I have star realms on my phone as my only app version of a board game and it's good, but I just don't play a ton of mobile games

initiatefailure on
  • mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    @ArcticLancer Yomi is out on Steam, if you want to play online. Highly recommend coordinating play over the sirlingames forums, cause quickmatch is pretty dead.

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
    FFG says that Keyforge tournament play will require opaque sleeves down the line, shoppers beware.

Cantido wrote: »
    FFG says that Keyforge tournament play will require opaque sleeves down the line, shoppers beware.

will require opaque sleeves? wouldn't that allow for people to cheat and deckbuild?

6F32U1X.png
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »

... seems like that would make it hard to see the cards ...

• BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Every deck comes with an identity card that tells you what all the other 36 cards that can be in the deck are.

So no, not really.

Also, citation needed on that claim.

Bedlam on
    Bedlam wrote: »
    Every deck comes with an identity card that tells you what all the other 36 cards that can be in the deck are.

So no, not really.

but unless people are going to be inspecting every deck before every game, people can still just slip cards in there and, since you don't have the very very easy solution of "the cardback is the same across a whole deck," go "yeah that was in there"

it seems like it should be the exact opposite, they should require TRANSPARENT sleeves

6F32U1X.png
  • AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    If the card backs are actually unique, couldn’t a determined player use that information to know what cards are in their opponent’s hand?

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Astaereth wrote: »
    If the card backs are actually unique, couldn’t a determined player use that information to know what cards are in their opponent’s hand?

Unique per deck, not per card

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
This discussion has been closed.