As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

2018 Congressional/Senate Election Results Thread

• RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »
    I think in spite of tom foolery we might prevail in AZ.

I am less optimistic about FL, but that would be a tremendous Coup as well. 52 48 is reasonable given the horrid situation that the Dems were in.

52 48 is a resounding victory, especially considering we'd be trading MO, ND and IN. For AZ, FL and NV all states likely easier to hold onto and a liberal shift in our caucus.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    Sinema is still in the lead in Arizona with 99% of votes counted! It’s slender as a hair, but it’s a lead! Results Page

• HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Afaik the amount of votes still to tally in AZ is still significant (several hundred thousand) so things may still take a turn. Still, hopeful.

Any news since Rick Scott’s bonkers assertion of police powers to ensure that further efforts to *checks notes* count the votes in his own electoral contest stops happening?

Hakkekage on
    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    Afaik the amount of votes still to tally in AZ is still significant (several hundred thousand) so things may still take a turn. Still, hopeful.

Any news since Rick Scott’s bonkers assertion of police powers to ensure that further efforts to *checks notes* count the votes in his own electoral contest stops happening?

Only that an entire locked ballot box was found that had been taken and hidden away at one of the polling places.

• ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Does anyone know what statute Scott is actually suing over in FL?

• AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular

The Noooooooo Miiiiiiine Gimme Statue

• monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    Rudy Giuliani, the president's really bad lawyer:

??? What is the logic here???

Free and fair elections are unconstitutional.

The "Dont make me the next Dewey" statute.

• grumblethorngrumblethorn Registered User regular
    Cant say I know what statute he is suing over. I think the optics of the standing governor ordering the state police to sieze broward county ballots in a tight race is is leading is awful. But Snipes has a proven history of malfeasance.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/broward/fl-sb-broward-elections-supervisor-broke-law-snipes-canova-20180514-story.html

• durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    I feel like particularly as these close races come in we can call this a hell of a wave.

The fact that one of the heartbreaker races was a 2% loss in a race for fucking Texas senator is wild.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
    Cant say I know what statute he is suing over. I think the optics of the standing governor ordering the state police to sieze broward county ballots in a tight race is is leading is awful. But Snipes has a proven history of malfeasance.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/broward/fl-sb-broward-elections-supervisor-broke-law-snipes-canova-20180514-story.html

All the more reason to get those votes hand counted by a bi-partisan appointed group.

• grumblethorngrumblethorn Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    Yes we need to turn out the vote

Yes we need to end gerrymandering

Fuck no we don’t need to kowtow to deep red bigots and dilute our progressive branding to try to win over people who will never vote in good faith

“You’d do better if you were a lot shittier” is not a logic or a brand I’m willing to tolerate.

Gerrymandering needs to stop, on both sides full stop.
    https://www.politico.com/story/2018/11/07/federal-judges-toss-maryland-congressional-map-for-partisan-gerrymandering-973245

• ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    Rick Scott saw what Brian Kemp did in Georgia and thought to himself, "Ooh, that looks fun!"

Because he's an asshole.

• RedTideRedTide Registered User regular

Fuck no we don’t need to kowtow to deep red bigots and dilute our progressive branding to try to win over people who will never vote in good faith

“You’d do better if you were a lot shittier” is not a logic or a brand I’m willing to tolerate.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/11/07/federal-judges-toss-maryland-congressional-map-for-partisan-gerrymandering-973245

It's always telling that Maryland is the only state that gets trotted out for this.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
    Sure, on both sides. Everyone's at fault. Like 98% of cases are Republican and racially motivated, but lets treat those 2% of cases as just as bad as the 98%. Both sides are bad. Vote republican.

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    RedTide wrote: »

It's always telling that Maryland is the only state that gets trotted out for this.

Maryland is heavily gerrymandered. And it is the only one that is heavily done so by Dems so it is the only target. But was part of the catch all lawsuits that have targeted a bunch of the Republican ones.

Resetting Maryland to a more fair districts isn't a bad thing and probably needs to be done. Just as resetting <insert Republican state here> needs to be done. And one of the more interesting sets of wins from this election was a number of states moved to third party independent commissions instead of letting politicians draw the lines. This will effect Dems and Republicans. Just will effect Republicans much much more.

u7stthr17eud.png
    Right, but that isn't ever the context of this conversation. It's "well EVERYONE grerrymanders!" when the endemic, racially oriented districting that systematically disenfranchises our poor, minority, and urban centers. But, hey, Maryland is also bad so lets treat the 38 or so states the Republicans have fucked up with the same "tut tut, the shame" rhetoric and minimize the evil that has been done since the reconstruction.

The Noooooooo Miiiiiiine Gimme Statue

Apparently, yes.
    a. Section 119.07(1)(a), Florida Statutes, provides: Every person who has custody of a public record shall permit the record to be inspected and copied by any person desiring to do so, at any reasonable time, under reasonable conditions, and under supervision by the custodian of the public records. b. Section 119.07(5), Florida Statutes, provides: When ballots are produced under this section for inspection or examination, no persons other than the supervisor of elections or the supervisor’s employees shall touch the ballots. If the ballots are being examined before the end of the contest period in s. 102.168, the supervisor of elections shall make a reasonable effort to notify all candidates by telephone or otherwise of the time and place of the inspection or examination. All such candidates, or their representatives, shall be allowed to be present during the inspection or examination. 8. Ballots are public records subject to “the inspection requirement of section 119.07(1), Florida Statutes.” Fla. Att’y Gen. Op. 2001–37 (2001).

He's suing over a public records statute, not election malfeasance. His own citations seem to indicate that "during the middle of a count that is already behind schedule" is not a "reasonable time" to divert staff to cater to his disclosure requests.

So this is 100% saber rattling. Saber rattling aimed at undermining public faith in the election.

Lovely.

Lawsuit filing linked here
    https://www.local10.com/news/elections/rick-scott-files-a-lawsuit-against-broward-supervisor-of-elections

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    RedTide wrote: »

Maryland is heavily gerrymandered. And it is the only one that is heavily done so by Dems so it is the only target. But was part of the catch all lawsuits that have targeted a bunch of the Republican ones.

Resetting Maryland to a more fair districts isn't a bad thing and probably needs to be done. Just as resetting <insert Republican state here> needs to be done. And one of the more interesting sets of wins from this election was a number of states moved to third party independent commissions instead of letting politicians draw the lines. This will effect Dems and Republicans. Just will effect Republicans much much more.

The amusing part to me is looking at 538's gerrymander project Maryland is actually poorly gerrymandered. It should be pretty easy to eliminate any republican reps from the state just because of how D it tends to vote.

Even a party match redistricting would likely only result in the GOP getting one more seat from Maryland. Also, probably not in the last election with the size of the wave. The current gerrymander actually kept Hogan safe.

None of the above is an argument against fixing Maryland. All the districts should be fixed regardless of which party benefits. I just find amusement in complaining about a state that is like D+30 only sends a single GOP congress critter while ignoring NC's sending a majority GOP when they didn't even get a plurality of votes over the state.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
    edited November 2018
    Sunshine Laws, cause of and solution to Florida's problems. Every time.

To my fellow Floridians, waking up this morning: This is a looooong shot for success. But remember:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UngXu2zwF9E

Enc on
    edited November 2018
    Enc wrote: »
    Hakkekage wrote: »

Only that an entire locked ballot box was found that had been taken and hidden away at one of the polling places.

This is mentioned in that article: They're saying that its locked because it now contains equipment they left behind. Last night I read that it was originally used for provisional ballots on Tuesday, but they were collected in a big orange envelope and whisked off along with the rest if the ballots, as presumably is appropriate.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    "Votes keep coming in, and they're not for MEEEEEE"

and they keep complaining about our generation being the ones requiring instant gratification.

assholes.

It's always projection on the right.

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Southern Republicanism is All An Act Vol. 1264346

THE FUCKIN BLOW-INS RUINED IT FOR US

omg I'm gonna need about 10% of you new-boots types to go back where you came from.

edited November 2018
    This is extra infuriating because Broward county is routinely mismanaged: to the detriment of the left.

It is super blue.

When they fuck up and lose things, it hurts Democrats.

When they fail to get their absentee ballots in the mail on time: it hurts Democrats.

When their chads don't punch out or they make ballots that cause 2% of voters to entirely overlook the Senate race: it hurts Democrats.

And when those missed Senate votes go 2:1 to your opponent, Gov. Scott, it helps you.

The GOP should give Snipes a fucking medal for not being run out of town a long time ago.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Fuck yeah Cindy McCain's vote should be counted.

ALL the fucking votes should be counted, even the ones that I despise.

That's how this shit works, you fucks.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
    spool32 wrote: »

omg I'm gonna need about 10% of you new-boots types to go back where you came from.

I thought you were from Maine?

You can see a Broward county sample ballot here:

If this is what the actual ballot looked like, I'm not seeing the argument for missing the Senate race. It's the first one on the list, top left.

I'm a naturalized Texan! 23 years and three anchor babies ;)

Updating mental image to include 5 gallon hat.

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Fuck yeah Cindy McCain's vote should be counted.

ALL the fucking votes should be counted, even the ones that I despise.

That's how this shit works, you fucks.

Nah, bruh. Democracy is best served by not counting all the votes. How else do you put America first?

• ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    You can see a Broward county sample ballot here:

If this is what the actual ballot looked like, I'm not seeing the argument for missing the Senate race. It's the first one on the list, top left.

Okay yeah. Its literally the first one you'd look at so Broward missing a whole bunch of votes just for Senate is extra super fucking suspicious.

Viskod on
  • DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular

*Checks clipboard* and uh...where do you currently live sir?

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
    Doodmann wrote: »

*Checks clipboard* and uh...where do you currently live sir?

No more questions. Somebody get an intern to wrestle this guy for the mic...

• kaidkaid Registered User regular

I concur its wrong when dems do it as well as when the GOP does it. People pick their politicians not visa versa.

I’m a native Texan and Spool is like my brother so by the transitive property and by the fact he can make excellent chili without beans, with the power vested in me I proclaim him naturalized

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    I’m a native Texan and Spool is like my brother so by the transitive property and by the fact he can make excellent chili without beans, with the power vested in me I proclaim him naturalized

Help! Help! Texas is being invaded by outside people! Chain migration!

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    kaid wrote: »

I concur its wrong when dems do it as well as when the GOP does it. People pick their politicians not visa versa.

I don't think anyone has said it's OK when Dems do it. But if one side is doing it all the time and the other side is doing it in one place and, seemingly, no other, that would indicate that a 'both sides' reaction is misplaced.

SyphonBlue wrote: »

Help! Help! Texas is being invaded by outside people! Chain migration!

I am a Texan! Just one that no longer resides in-state

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular

That article screams “prewritten and published the instant the race was called.” Nobody who gets within 2 points of a Texas Senator ran a bad race, full stop.

ACsTqqK.jpg
This discussion has been closed.