As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

2018 Congressional/Senate Election Results Thread

• ViskodViskod Registered User regular

Oh look its:

"We never paid any attention to the numerous stated policy positions of the candidate because we're bad at our jobs and there was something else about them we were easily distracted with like a baby shown a jingling set of keys." PART II: The candidate had charisma. Also see our previous installment of this documntary PART I: Emails.

Nearly every journalist in the United States might as well be Perd Goddamn Haply.

• monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited November 2018

They really seem to hire amazing and terrible writers in equal measure.

I really hope the infrastructure that Beto helped setup gets kept alive for the next election.

moniker on
  • ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    Rudy Giuliani, the president's really bad lawyer:

??? What is the logic here???

"These specific people are creating fake ballots to rig the election" strikes me as a ... bold thing to put in writing that publicly, especially when the people you're saying it about are actual practicing law-ologists.

Like, I'm assuming there's a potential difference between "my political opponent is a jerk" and "that guy's committing major felonies right now."

• PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    moniker wrote: »

They really seem to hire amazing and terrible writers in equal measure.

I really hope the infrastructure that Beto helped setup gets kept alive for the next election.

The Atlantic is a shadow of its former self, so that's no surprise. The historical magazine pretty much died when it was bought and moved to D.C. to be a thinkpiece-focused policy wonk journal, and then that died when the Internet turned it into a shell that hires a lot of freelancers seemingly at random for content.

Phillishere on
  • ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    spool32 wrote: »
    You can see a Broward county sample ballot here:

If this is what the actual ballot looked like, I'm not seeing the argument for missing the Senate race. It's the first one on the list, top left.

That's the "sample" ballot for review purposes; the bubbles lead me to suspect it is not an example of an actual ballot they used anywhere.

Cross post from local thread, this one looks like a real ballot (in that it matches the font and style of the I one got):
    Broward ballot:
    http://www.timaross.com/recommendations/

If that's a legit ballot, I can see it. Senator is right under the Hatian language instructions (which are under the Spanish instructions). A little tunnel vision, a 9 page ballot, and a rush to get out of there could miss it.

Results for specifically that precinct (E006) in the "main" central column on that ballot
    Gov: 2965
    AG: 2920
    CoA: 2891
    CFO: 2883

Vs those under the instructions:
    Senator: 2873
    Dist Rep 22: 2845

The drop is slight, but consistent across precincts.

Skimming through, I don't see any case where Senator gets more than CFO.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    That's not a whole lot of difference. You'd have to not read top to bottom left to right to miss it. I think there's a lot that's wonky in florida, but that ballot looks just fine to me.

• PhasenPhasen Hell WorldRegistered User regular
    That ballot sucks from a design perspective. People gloss over instructions all the time.

psn: PhasenWeeple
  • QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    So what are the big outstandings? AZ, FL, MS?

• Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    AZ-sen and FL-sen yea. MS is probably done and dusted, just a matter of time before that one is lost in the runoff since we didn’t get the bad republican, sadly.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Phasen wrote: »
    That ballot sucks from a design perspective. People gloss over instructions all the time.

Yeah, that just looks like a bad design but not a malicious one. Instructions should be presented on a separate page, or on a top banner. I can certainly see why people would miss that option. The test would be if there were also weird missing votes for the house rep, which is right underneath. If those votes are missing too, it's just shitty design, if those votes are present I'd say it's likely malicious or malfunctioning counting machines.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
    Uh.... Am I the only one that finds this tweet from the President kind of telling? Since no one as "found" votes but are just continuing to count them, and no one has blamed Russia for sabotage or interference in the election thus far.

You mean they are just now finding votes in Florida and Georgia – but the Election was on Tuesday? Let’s blame the Russians and demand an immediate apology from President Putin!

• KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Turns out Trump is an idiot who makes dumb arguments in bad faith, who knew

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    That's not a whole lot of difference. You'd have to not read top to bottom left to right to miss it. I think there's a lot that's wonky in florida, but that ballot looks just fine to me.
    As I noted, the other races below Senator suffered a similar slump; suggesting a correlation with reduced participation.

I missed it initially, and I was looking for it. I saw a wall of text in increasingly unfamiliar language and filtered out that whole left column. Perhaps they rested their hand on that bit thinking they had only obscured instructions.

We're not talking about a lot of people making this oversight.

Sen: 682,073
    CFO: 691,051
    Gov: 707,021

Calculating the miss rate by assuming anyone who voted for CFO would have surely had an opinion on Senate, and it's like 1%. For every 100 people in a rush to get to work, shuffling 4 double sided ballot pages, one missed it: seems reasonable.

Comparing to Governor, it's 4% (3% for just R+D). That does seem high for human error; but maybe I'm being overly generous to humans.

Alternatively: Nelson supposed that the scanners may be miscalibrated or have issues reading that region; but (up here) our ballots can be fed into the machine in any orientation. So I don't know if that tracks, but I would think it would evenly affect the lower left and upper right races of all pages.

(Unless we're naturally biased to feed them in a certain way...)

I abjectly refuse to download the raw counts and crunch them all manner of ways; but I really want to.

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

If this is what the actual ballot looked like, I'm not seeing the argument for missing the Senate race. It's the first one on the list, top left.

Jesus christ, that's a ballot? It looks like a chinese restaurant menu they hang on your door.

• KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

Jesus christ, that's a ballot? It looks like a chinese restaurant menu they hang on your door.

That's fucking insane

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Inkstain82Inkstain82 Registered User regular
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »
    Rudy Giuliani, the president's really bad lawyer:

??? What is the logic here???

"These specific people are creating fake ballots to rig the election" strikes me as a ... bold thing to put in writing that publicly, especially when the people you're saying it about are actual practicing law-ologists.

Like, I'm assuming there's a potential difference between "my political opponent is a jerk" and "that guy's committing major felonies right now."

Like in terms of getting into legal trouble for saying it? Not really.

On matters of national, political importance, it's pretty much impossible to get sued for libel.

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    KetBra wrote: »

I think we're also seeing a taste of the bullshit he'd have spewed if he had actually lost in 2016.

The playbook is simple: I won because everything was perfect vs I lost because of massive, obvious, undeniable voter fraud.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular

Good lord I've seen cleaner GeoCities websites.

Who the fuck designed that thing?

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited November 2018

That's fucking insane

No, it's a half-letter-size pamphlet that comes to you in the mail. The ballot is the one marked "SAMPLE BALLOT", and is perfectly clear.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
    SeñorAmor wrote: »

Good lord I've seen cleaner GeoCities websites.

Who the fuck designed that thing?

We are really bad at elections.

• KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    This is the tail end of the Atlantic Article

" Yet one could also argue—and quite convincingly, at that—that such a campaign never stood a chance of breaking through in a state as historically red as Texas. That the national party so desperately wanted it to signifies, perhaps, just how weak the Democratic field looks ahead of 2020. Because O’Rourke, like Rubio, in his youth and charisma and energy, is something of a Platonic ideal of a presidential candidate: It was incumbent upon the Democratic Party to manufacture a narrative of success for O’Rourke, no matter the outcome of the race itself. (Luckily for them, the media has already bought into it: Reuters reported that, win or lose, O’Rourke was “set to emerge victorious.”)"

This writer desperately needs an editor

• Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    thats not how the actual ballot looked in broward though.

aeNqQM9.jpg
    et al. That is not what the ballot looks like

is what the ballot looks like.

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

That's fucking insane

No, it's a half-letter-size pamphlet that comes to you in the mail. The ballot is the one marked "SAMPLE BALLOT", and is perfectly clear.

If that's considered perfectly clear that explains a lot about 2000.

• CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    I have voted in the UK and the USA. In the UK, ballots are tiny cards. In the USA, ballots are complete messes, with so much random text in random languages, and the instructions and voting options all mixed up together.

Ballots should be in one language only. The poll workers should ask you which language you want. Instructions should be on the back. No options should be on the back (even referendums.)

CelestialBadger on
  • CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Overly messy ballot papers should be considered “literacy tests” because you couldn’t be a struggling reader and successfully fill out that form. Dyslexics wouldn’t have a hope. People whose native language was not on the card because it is a rare language would be perplexed.

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

That's fucking insane

It's literally just a list of names, it even has different colored shading for each separate section to differentiate them, with a dot to fill in right next to each name

How is this not clear?

Like, I get LOL FLORIDA but come on

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular

On a positive note NPR on Up First this morning did not shy away from pointing out that him and Scott (as well as Kemp in Georgia) are making these claims without any evidence.

https://www.npr.org/2018/11/09/666018707/trump-scott-spread-claims-of-voter-fraud-as-florida-race-narrows?utm_

That's fucking insane

It's literally just a list of names, it even has different colored shading for each separate section to differentiate them, with a dot to fill in right next to each name

How is this not clear?

Like, I get LOL FLORIDA but come on

If you are looking at the colored one then it is not what the ballot actually looks like.

• OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    Yeah, the actual ballot part of that looks fine to me.

My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular

Yes, this one here is what ballots look like in Florida. I have no idea where that other sample ballot came from, but I've never seen a ballot like that in any FL election I've voted in.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    H0b0man wrote: »

Yes, this one here is what ballots look like in Florida. I have no idea where that other sample ballot came from, but I've never seen a ballot like that in any FL election I've voted in.

This is almost exactly what mine looked like, with different county/local things.

The ballot is a mess because of all the languages tossed onto the same page. The instructions on page one could cause people to just skip over the two very important choices directly below them because the instructions blend into the selections right below if you arent taking your time.

That Florida ballot is garbage. Here's ballotpedia's copy.
    https://cdn.ballotpedia.org/images/7/74/Florida_sample_ballot_(Broward_County).pdf

Compare it to my ballot: https://vt.ncsbe.gov/RegLkup/SampleBallot?CountyID=92&ElectionID=85&BallotStyle=G028

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular

it came from the Broward County election website....

good to hear the actual ballot doesn't look as messy, but starting the voting halfway down a column is just derp.

• DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    There is no meaningful break between instructions and ballot. Its a pretty big design flaw.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
    You mean, your locat Vermont ballot that is anglo-centric, assumes you've voted before, and prevents portions of your local population that don't speak english from being able to do it?

Florida's ballot is fine. The fact they all looked like this but only one county had a reporting problem indicates its not the ballot that is the issue.

• H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    Oh ya, it's a terribly designed ballot for sure. As for the other sample coming from the Broward County website I'm somehow not surprised. As we can all see right now they don't really have a full grasp on this whole "election" thing.

FFXIV: Agran Trask

It's from the browder county website.

My "sample ballot" in Central Florida looked just as goofy. Its a mailer, not a scantron.

Enc wrote: »
    You mean, your locat Vermont ballot that is anglo-centric, assumes you've voted before, and prevents portions of your local population that don't speak english from being able to do it?

Florida's ballot is fine. The fact they all looked like this but only one county had a reporting problem indicates its not the ballot that is the issue.

It's from NC. Having ballots in multiple languages is good, but they need to just have a spanish ballot, an english ballot, and I think that is portuguese but I am not very familiar with the other language.

This discussion has been closed.