As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WH40K] Previews galore!

• TheColonelTheColonel ChicagolandRegistered User regular
    GW actively works to get kids in this age bracket already, with what I think we can all agree is "generally" not age appropriate stuff. Offering something a bit more in line for that age range and letting them ease up into the genocide once they're a little older and more equipped to discuss with their parent/gaming guide figure/whoever what the background really means seems a-ok with me.

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Khraul wrote: »
    I anticipate the kids books not even mentioning anything even vaguely related to genocidal corpse gods and their regimes

GW is a huge company and this is a brand new branch of products. You can guarantee these books will have been focus-grouped to death to make sure they're age and content appropriate.

Right, but that also seems bad, which is my point. It seems like a no-win scenario; you either have something that should be aimed at teens and early 20's like regular WH40K, or you have something that is so different it becomes questionable how much crossover appeal it could have with regular WH40K.

Edit: sorry, this will be my last post on the subject. I don't mean to harp on it.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    TheColonel wrote: »
    GW actively works to get kids in this age bracket already, with what I think we can all agree is "generally" not age appropriate stuff. Offering something a bit more in line for that age range and letting them ease up into the genocide once they're a little older and more equipped to discuss with their parent/gaming guide figure/whoever what the background really means seems a-ok with me.

Speaking of actively appealing to kids, have you all seen the randomized boxes of Space Marine heroes?
    4hiyb4fibwej.jpg

Here's the missing Brother-Captain Thassaruis:
    s-l300.jpg

Here's the Japanese promo for comparison:
    71Ejb14gCuL._SL1000_.jpg
    The missing Brother Toriad & Brother Promethor:
    file.jpgfile.jpg

So it looks like America is missing out on a few: Brother Dolor, Calistos, Aethor, and Torad, which is a shame considering their load-outs and unique poses.

There's a second series of Blood Angel Terminators as well:
    SM-heroes-2.jpg
    I assume that the last one is a "Secret" and that's not his name. But I don't collect Blood Angels, so who am I to say.
    and they're all snap-fit. Combo that with one of those Start painting boxes (which are strangely being removed from GW store shelves), and you've got your first nugget of crack for young Jesse.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • TheColonelTheColonel ChicagolandRegistered User regular
    Damn those Terminators. I want them. The Space Hulk Terminators plus those leave me wanting to start painting Blood Angels badly.

• italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    Do Blood Angels not have unique Terminators? The Dark Angel Deathwing models are so beautiful that I can't help but include them all regardless of viability.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    The four marines that are missing are the ones that come in the 40k boardgame they sell at Barnes & Nobles.

Those Terminators look great. I'm in the same boat re: the awesome Space Hulk sculpts and wishing I had done a BA descendant chapter. I probably would have painted them by now if that was the case.

• JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    I think there's not really an issue with liking the Imperium.

I mean, the main reason that the Empire of Man is so authoritarian just....doesn't exist IRL. Chaos, Tryanids, and Orks aren't in real life.

It's like like people who cos play as Imperials in Star Wars. I don't think there is anything wrong with that.

The line, no me at least, is when you start allow that to effect how you think and act in everyday life.

• KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Ehh for Star Wars Imperials that whole organization is made more from malice and does not have the plethora of external, internal, and historic factors that explain why the Imperium is as it is. The Imperium is a tragedy based on relatively good intentions (for humanity), the Empire is not.

There’s nothing wrong with the cosplay and I also agree with the last line.

• No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    Do Blood Angels not have unique Terminators? The Dark Angel Deathwing models are so beautiful that I can't help but include them all regardless of viability.

The Spacehulk board game has unique BA termies

• NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    So hey, apparently the robot in Blackstone Fortress
    Is a man of iron. Pretending to be an mechanics robot.

• OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    I haven't read a ton of 40k novels, but I feel like the Ciaphas Cain books didn't have a whole lot of Imperial fascism and brutality in them. The Valhallans could be regular future-joes from almost any setting. The new stuff seems like the same thing, except with kids.

The 40k video games like Dawn of War and Space Marine don't go out of their way to make you feel bad for playing the Imperium, either. Maybe one bit with a commissar. I'm guessing the books featuring Ultramarines tend to be rah-rah good guys vs. bad guys, too.

• KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    Played another 1500pt test match today against my buddy for the event we're in later this month.

Flyrant with claws and heavy venom cannon
    Broodlord
    Maleceptor
    3 x ripper swarm
    A dozen genestealers
    Three warriors with talons and spinefists
    3 impaler hive guard
    3 biovores
    1 meleefex
    2 carnifexes with talons, one had a heavy venom cannon and the other had paired devourers

His grey knights had...
    Grand master in baby carrier
    chapter ancient
    librarian
    A squad of termies
    a couple other squads of MEQ
    The termies and ancient were in a stormraven

Turn one I basically moved up to hold some objectives and shot with the biovores and hive guard. His turn one got him right up in my grill with everything, he shot half my stealers and my broodlord off the map between the GM and stormraven. Turn two I got stuck in after some rather weak shooting (other than the biovores who consistently either deal mortal wounds or drop spore mines that I can use to fuck with him) but most of the soft targets were still footslogging or still inside the stormraven. I waded in with the carni's and flyrant to try and smash his grand master to zero avail. With all his stuff piling out of the stormraven my maleceptor was largely out of position and got smashed to death but the ancient and termies and shooting from the stormraven's meltas. My flyrant survived to turn three due to regaining three wounds on a stratagem and his GM went down largely due to mortal wounds from biovores and his rolling doubles on psychic tests. We only had time to play to the end of turn three during which all my carnifexes picked different melee squads to charge and mashed a bunch of them. My last genestealer finished off one of his strike squads and I lost a biovore to shooting. I think in two more turns I would have tabled him if we'd had time, but the draws on mission objectives were NOT in my favor.

I didn't get rolled, but it really didn't go well... he won on points (maelstrom mission/cards) 9-5. I couldn't figure out how to kill that goddamn grand master. With power and stratagems he had about three turns of a 2++ and the goddamn thing can Gate turn one. I wasted an entire turn of melee from my flyrant and all three fexes and barely dented the thing. He in turn knocked my flyrant down to one wound in one turn of melee.

I don't know how I should be getting the best out of my flyrant... he's super nimble, but he doesn't seem to have that much oomph against armored targets, His shooting seems lackluster at 1d3 shots, even though they're fairly strong if they do hit.

I need to submit my list in two days and I'm really on the fence about how it'll perform. It's not a competitive event, as it's a fun fundraiser, but I'd like to at least put on a good show.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Chaos, Tryanids, and Orks aren't in real life.

That's a dangerous assumption that could cost us one day.

H9f4bVe.png
  • BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    I’m getting tired of fighting super alpha lists that blow up my hive tyrants turn 1. Thinking of trying a Leviathan list with lots of tyrant guard. I get a tyrant save, feel no pain, then any wounds get flipped to the guard with a second feel no pain.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    I think the extent to which warhammer is not for kids gets vastly over stated.

Please note this commentary is based on second edition so maybe warhammer is actually super dark now

The sex stuff that everyone loves to mention is basically not part of the game or lore. Slaneesh is a prepubescent 14 year olds idea of debauchery. The descent of the emperors children into debauchery can basically be summarized as ‘rocking out too hard’

The fascism stuff is also kind of irrelevant, and really not that different from your average war movie. Space marines are often portrayed heroically but the first page of the second edition rule book was basically saying THE IMPERIUM IS REALLY REALLY EVIL OKAY that was unsubtle enough for even 12 year old dodgeblan to understand

I might even go so far to argue that an appreciation of 40k early might help you to understand as you get older that ‘your side’ isn’t necessarily the good side.

Compare that to Indiana Jones or other boy coded war entertainment that usually doesn’t go further than ‘we are the good guys because we are the protagonist’. The whole Starship Troopers trope of being able to wipe out our enemy simply because they are our enemy is universal to the non-40k entertainment I consumed as a boy. At least in 40k they beat you over the head with the fact that it’s kinda fucked up.

The only part that I don’t feel comfortable completely ignoring is the violence. At 12 i re-read a passage in the chaos codex hundreds of times that lovingly and brutally describes noise marines using sonic weapons to crack the spines and liquefy the organs of guardsmen. About the only thing I can say about that is for whatever reason our society doesn’t seem to give a fuck about exposing kids to written descriptions of violence

Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
    edited November 2018
    And the final thing is that when you get down to it, 40k is just really really silly and basically made up exclusively of things that 11 year olds think are awesome. The darkness is an aesthetic, it’s not actually dark like The Road or something

40k is Iron Maiden not Cannibal Corpse

DodgeBlan on

Badablack wrote: »
    I’m getting tired of fighting super alpha lists that blow up my hive tyrants turn 1. Thinking of trying a Leviathan list with lots of tyrant guard. I get a tyrant save, feel no pain, then any wounds get flipped to the guard with a second feel no pain.

I was sure this didn’t work, but I checked tyrant guard and for some reason they are the only unit with this kind of ability that checks when wounds are lost, not suffered, so it does. Little weird but neat.

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    In 40k who's good and who's bad is very fluid even among the same faction. Every faction has some sub-factions that I would portray as having mostly good intentions, while other sub-factions are far more nebulous. For example in the Imperium I think the Ultramarines are generally borne of good intentions, especially now that Roboute is back. The Inquisition on the other hand is far more nebulous, bordering on downright evil. At best they are a sub-faction for whom the ends always justifies the means, no matter how brutal the means.

I think that pattern mostly plays out in all the factions, aside from a few outliers like the Orks, Tyranids or Drukhari. The former two being almost a force of nature for whom the concepts of "good" and "evil" have no meaning, and the latter being straight up mustache twirling villain evil.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    The whole Starship Troopers trope of being able to wipe out our enemy simply because they are our enemy is universal to the non-40k entertainment I consumed as a boy. At least in 40k they beat you over the head with the fact that it’s kinda fucked up.

Can I just take a moment of irony for the masterpeice that is Verhoeven's Starship Troopers, and how the entire satirical tone of it went completely over everyone's head when it was released? The Starship Trooper's trope of being able to wipe out our enemy simple because they are our enemy wasn't the fucked up thing. The fucked up thing was that the general moviegoing audience thought that a movie about fascist government tricking a bunch of highschoolers to go commit space genocide was just a par-for-the-course summer popcorn flick.
    Starship Troopers is probably one of the most 40k movies ever made. Go watch it again. It beats you over the head just as hard as 40k does.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    I can see an Imperial class room being lectured about how art does not matter while cutting up big bugs, yes.

McGibs wrote: »
    The whole Starship Troopers trope of being able to wipe out our enemy simply because they are our enemy is universal to the non-40k entertainment I consumed as a boy. At least in 40k they beat you over the head with the fact that it’s kinda fucked up.

Can I just take a moment of irony for the masterpeice that is Verhoeven's Starship Troopers, and how the entire satirical tone of it went completely over everyone's head when it was released? The Starship Trooper's trope of being able to wipe out our enemy simple because they are our enemy wasn't the fucked up thing. The fucked up thing was that the general moviegoing audience thought that a movie about fascist government tricking a bunch of highschoolers to go commit space genocide was just a par-for-the-course summer popcorn flick.
    Starship Troopers is probably one of the most 40k movies ever made. Go watch it again. It beats you over the head just as hard as 40k does.

Sorry, when i said ‘starship troopers trope’ what I meant was the other childish war movies that Verhoven is satirizing.

I agree with you that starship troopers is hellah 40k. The point I was trying to make is that saying that 40k is bad for children and they should consume more sanitized war stories where the good side is beyond moral reproach is to me more fascistic than lampshading that your shiny space army men carry out their heroics in service of oppression.

• KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    I can see an Imperial class room being lectured about how art does not matter while cutting up big bugs, yes.

With all the frescoes, statues, paintings, cathedral ship designs, and propaganda in the Imperium in its media I would say they do value art in a way.

• BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    Blackstone Fortress, is it like a co-op game or is it a vs game?

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    The thing about Warhammer 40k (and this is has of course been discussed before) is that it was conceived by a bunch of punks in 80s United Kingdom with a... let's say skeptical view of their then-government, which was on display in their work; there was biting satire and indictment of authoritarianism. Then, at some point, Games Workshop grew and started trying to reach far and wide with their sales, people were hired whose interest wasn't in sitting and contemplating how the Imperium has some really messed up policies or how Space Marines are actual literal inhuman monsters, but rather in creating effective marketing strategies. This led to very earnest "check out our dope all-the-time-superhero good guys the Space Marines" interpretations of the setting.

So now you have a setting where the original satire sits side-by-side with complete earnestness, and you can have different impressions of the setting depending on which area (and which layer) of lore you look at. Yeah, sure, you have steadfast defenders of humanity standing between the little guy and roiling demon hordes - but you also have the government shoveling thousands of psykers into an oven on a daily basis to keep a mostly-corpse slightly-alive, and oh yes, they have been doing this for ten thousand years.

edited November 2018
    I still love that mag uruk thraka is still kicking around in the new codex.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

yarrick won't let him die until he personally kills him

Even GW recognises this. It’s not a surprise when the first guard plastic kits after the movie ape the designs so hard. Several characters are based on the movie (iron hand strake anyone?) and that guardsmen newspaper has its tone ripped straight from the movie.

PiptheFair wrote: »

More in regards to this.
    Delduwath wrote: »
    a... let's say skeptical view of their then-government

website_header.jpg
  • Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    Bizazedo wrote: »

Co-op, kinda PVE I guess, in video game parlance? The board and enemies will act automatically according to their behaviour tables and the nature of the scenario being played whilst the players have to work together to try not to all die. The AoS versions are quite good fun!

More in regards to this.
    Whoa, wait, was he supposed to be a dig at Margaret Thatcher?

• TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    40K has always been a somewhat-Punk "Grin-Dark". If you take it seriously, you miss the point.
    Bizazedo wrote: »

Co-op, kinda PVE I guess, in video game parlance? The board and enemies will act automatically according to their behaviour tables and the nature of the scenario being played whilst the players have to work together to try not to all die. The AoS versions are quite good fun!

Both. Either co-op against the game, or wither a player taking control of the enemies. There's behaviour tables, or you can just get the bad guy to activate them as he wants.

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

More in regards to this.

that is the fan theory, but I don't think it has ever been officially confirmed

Kadoken wrote: »

With all the frescoes, statues, paintings, cathedral ship designs, and propaganda in the Imperium in its media I would say they do value art in a way.

The Imperium values art in the same way as say, the old USSR. It’s seen as another propaganda tool for strengthening compliance and promoting mandated values, and is appreciated only as far as it furthers the goals of the State. Art made for the sake of art would be seen as a pointless waste and probably get you arrested.

• TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular

More in regards to this.

that is the fan theory, but I don't think it has ever been officially confirmed

Mag Uruk Thracka, took out a civilisation of miners...hmmm

edited November 2018
    Badablack wrote: »
    Kadoken wrote: »

The Imperium values art in the same way as say, the old USSR. It’s seen as another propaganda tool for strengthening compliance and promoting mandated values, and is appreciated only as far as it furthers the goals of the State. Art made for the sake of art would be seen as a pointless waste and probably get you arrested.

I feel like this idea of ultra-conformity is at odds with the depiction of actual planets and people in 40k media. Like, there are hundreds of different human cultures who do their own thing and have their own values. I feel like there’s probably a couple of planets that have stuff like rock and roll and opera and shit that is art for art’s sake. Like, back to Gaunt’s Ghosts, they have bag pipes for official reasons and for just music times. They have poooorn in Caiaphas Cain and the Ravenor books. A dude has an ipod built into his room in the first Ravenor book. There’s that dude in Necropolis with an entire garden of metal shit programmed to act like a real garden. I don’t think it’s clamped down on.

Kadoken on
    From what I understand, art for art's sake was allowed and even encouraged in the USSR (provided that the Party didn't take issue with it) (they took a lot of issues with a lot of art) - but then when that art was done, the propaganda machine held it high in the air and shouted both at the public within and the world without "CHECK OUT HOW GOOD OUR FUCKIN' ART IS WE'RE THE BEST AT ART COMMUNISM MAKES GOOD ART PO-TEM-KIN PO-TEM-KIN PO-TEM-KIN".

giphy.gif

website_header.jpg
    Yeah I agree with all of this, but I imagine it’s like a USSR that is barely (if at all) holding on to control. The Imperium sends in its culture death squads to root out Heresy, burn down all the illicit art, and enact pogroms, but then the other 90% of the population keeps on keepin’ on. The point is that despite all its efforts, the Imperium is slowly losing its grip on its impossibly vast galactic empire, and despite increasingly draconian measures the populace continues to dream and hope.

The problem is that the dreaming, hoping mass of humanity is empowering a literal Giant Throbbing Hell dimension, and all the measures are a desperate attempt to crush the human spirit, destroy its curiosity into the unknown, and curtail the eventual demise of the Imperium as it changes from within. All in vain.

edited November 2018
    I feel like that’s how it was in the ultra-grim dark 2nd edition. Again, at odds with the black library, RPGs and games.

Like the Imperium has actual dangerous cultists to send out death squads against. That feels at odds against just random nazi shutting down of jazz clubs and whatever that you are presenting. Even the excessive really fucked up pogroms the Ordo Hereticus usually actually have some probable cause that they take too far like people actually summoning daemons or something like what happened in Necropolis where an entire hive that was turned to chaos could have probably been prevented if an inquisitor had been working in it. If the warp becomes too entrenched on a planet than that’s a reall bad thing that could kill trillions as that planet serves as a base for Chaos to make more attacks on. Similarly for genestealers (more ordo xenos) or tyranid infestations or orks.
    Edit: like if someone were to put down a rock show with this idea in mind, they’re not doing it because it’s evil music that makes people hope. They’d probably be doing it because a slaaneshi cultist or noise marine is literally using it to sacrifice people.

Edit 2: like bottom line, the Imperium is not Ingsoc

Kadoken on
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Norgoth wrote: »

Even GW recognises this. It’s not a surprise when the first guard plastic kits after the movie ape the designs so hard. Several characters are based on the movie (iron hand strake anyone?) and that guardsmen newspaper has its tone ripped straight from the movie.

Still i am disappointed this joke is why we don't have other plastic guard kits