As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

2018 Congressional/Senate Election Results Thread

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    OremLK wrote: »
    Yeah, the actual ballot part of that looks fine to me.

It makes a lot of basic graphic design / UX mistakes for no particular reason. It certainly isn't as bad as the butterfly one's, but we really need to hire actual designers for this stuff.

There are even books and other resources about it.
    https://www.aiga.org/election-tools-resources

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Phasen wrote: »
    The ballot is a mess because of all the languages tossed onto the same page. The instructions on page one could cause people to just skip over the two very important choices directly below them because the instructions blend into the selections right below if you arent taking your time.

That Florida ballot is garbage. Here's ballotpedia's copy.
    https://cdn.ballotpedia.org/images/7/74/Florida_sample_ballot_(Broward_County).pdf

Compare it to my ballot: https://vt.ncsbe.gov/RegLkup/SampleBallot?CountyID=92&ElectionID=85&BallotStyle=G028

The ballot is also a mess because there are at least 5x as many people to vote for as there should be, which is also by design.

You can defend that ballot a little bit based on the election being a complex series of choices and options, HOWEVER, there's no reason that the instructions needed to be in the same column as the senate vote position. No question that 1% of voters didn't see those options there. Its easy to miss because a lot of people will skip the instructions. Instructions should be available printed on the wall of the polling booth, NOT on the ballot.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Pretty sure it's Haitian creole.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    shouldn't have anything in line with the instructions.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    et al. That is not what the ballot looks like

http://www.timaross.com/recommendations/

is what the ballot looks like.

That is actually worse then the sample one. There's no sense to the layout, no consistency to the sizing of anything. It's a visual fucking mess.

Like, ballots do not have to look like this.

shryke on
  • Options
    PhasenPhasen Hell WorldRegistered User regular
    This isn't really an lol florida moment(i live in NC for cryin out loud) so please dont take it that way but Browder County should do better for its citizens. The election machine there obviously have issues.

psn: PhasenWeeple
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Enc wrote: »
    You mean, your locat Vermont ballot that is anglo-centric, assumes you've voted before, and prevents portions of your local population that don't speak english from being able to do it?

Florida's ballot is fine. The fact they all looked like this but only one county had a reporting problem indicates its not the ballot that is the issue.

It's from NC. Having ballots in multiple languages is good, but they need to just have a spanish ballot, an english ballot, and I think that is portuguese but I am not very familiar with the other language.

Eh. I understand the idea and with good faith actors, sure, that's fine. I think in the current environment it'd be real easy to "run out" of spanish ballots.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Broward County really does need to do better.

Browder is probably a New England county known for tasty cream based seafood stews.

• Options
    Man, chowder sounds real good right now guys.

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular

Browder is probably a New England county known for tasty cream based seafood stews.

It’s Browdah, say it Frenchie.

• Options
    Broward seems like a place that would want to stock up on Spanish ballots.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I wonder someone could start a non-profit to redesign ballots.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    et al. That is not what the ballot looks like

http://www.timaross.com/recommendations/

is what the ballot looks like.

That is actually worse then the sample one. There's no sense to the layout, no consistency to the sizing of anything. It's a visual fucking mess.

Like, ballots do not have to look like this.

Yeah, the one where I live is MUCH better than this, and thats even considering that there are always federal, state, state props, city (with ranked choice voting) and city props on the ballot. Spacing and fonts are better, and draw the eye, instructions are consistent, and placed in a way which is clearly distinct from the 'voting' area. You also get your ballot like 2 weeks before election day so that everyone can vote by mail if they want, so you have days to vote, not a few minutes being rushed in a booth.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options

We literally just came down from a discussion on how the county is poorly managed re: elections.

• Options
    this is what my ballot looks like

https://www.philadelphiavotes.com/ballot_paper/1cc7ffc1-b68e-6b98-6a1e-5bb101e5239b.pdf

it's not great, but you're never gonna miss a race.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    I think I’d find it easier to vote on a Spanish-language-only ballot than an insane mashup of 6 languages (and I don’t speak Spanish.) It confuses the eye, probably deliberately.

• Options

We literally just came down from a discussion on how the county is poorly managed re: elections.

I think the implication was voter suppression. Poor management is kinda the lay of the land at the moment regardless of whether the ballot is designed poorly.

• Options
    Marathon wrote: »

It’s Browdah, say it Frenchie.

I'll never go non-rhotic! NEVAH

Wait, noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    This was my ballot:

https://elections.maryland.gov/elections/2018/general_ballots/frederick.pdf

The first column is in line with the instructions, but everything is separated out, boxed, crystal clear what you're supposed to do

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    Doodmann wrote: »
    I wonder someone could start a non-profit to redesign ballots.

I linked to the AIGA (professional association for graphic designers) resource guides at the top of the page. The thing is, most any changes to ballot design will be involved since it likely requires changes in law rather than just hiring someone who knows inDesign. These resources are available and free. You just need to get all 3,000+ counties to apply them.

Also, stop actively disenfranchising people before they even get a better designed ballot to begin with. But that requires everyone actually believing in democracy and free and fair elections as a philosophical prior.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I think I’d find it easier to vote on a Spanish-language-only ballot than an insane mashup of 6 languages (and I don’t speak Spanish.) It confuses the eye, probably deliberately.

It's more having one ballot for everybody is cheaper and easier.

The suppression is a bonus.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular

Nate Silver is a guy who predicted 96% of the elections correctly.

I think we need Ranked Choice everywhere.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »

Iam primum post delenta est

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited November 2018

Yes please.

FL gov is just sitting there with a sub-40k gap, and 100k votes cast for non-starters.

And, as already discussed at length, it wouldn't hurt to revisit our ballot design.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Man, looking at all of these, I'm amazed at how badly designed some ballots are. Those Florida ones are awful.

The NJ one is not going to win any beauty contests, but it's one of the clearest ballots I've ever encountered:

http://media.nj.com/hudsoncountynow_impact/photo/jc-election-mockupjpg-e27de3ba04465e8f.jpg

No weird formatting, no disjointed selections inline with instruction sections. Just choose one from each row. Parties organized into columns.

minor incident on
    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular

This is small potatoes stuff, but my community chorus switched to Ranked Choice voting for picking out our repertoire every year about two years ago, and people are FAR happier with the results. Radiolab also recently had a segment about Ireland's elections (which are Ranked Choice. They called it proportional representation by the single transferable vote, but that and Ranked Choice/Instant Runoff amount to the same thing).

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    Holy crap the Democrats are edging towards taking 40 seats in the House. As it stands that’s the biggest gain since... well, since Watergate :biggrin:

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    I should have figured it would become the official GOP position that counting the votes is stealing the election.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    I should have figured it would become the official GOP position that counting the votes is stealing the election.

oh my god I thought that was a parody account for a second. But no, he really said that.

• Options
    Holy crap the Democrats are edging towards taking 40 seats in the House. As it stands that’s the biggest gain since... well, since Watergate :biggrin:

It's less than 2010, but 2010 also had 10% unemployment after a Depression finally bottomed out months before the election.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »

This is small potatoes stuff, but my community chorus switched to Ranked Choice voting for picking out our repertoire every year about two years ago, and people are FAR happier with the results. Radiolab also recently had a segment about Ireland's elections (which are Ranked Choice. They called it proportional representation by the single transferable vote, but that and Ranked Choice/Instant Runoff amount to the same thing).

Yeah, Condorcet-compliant methods of solving multi-choice races are ideal for a lot of things.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    I always figured "great people of" was just a fancy way of referring to everybody in a state.

• Options
    I will not sit and wait for all the votes to be counted is certainly a take on elections.

Of course knowing how bush v gore went, I’m not confident either way. But it also makes me think Nelson might have the numbers to take it as otherwise Scott would be content to wait and win.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Inkstain82Inkstain82 Registered User regular
    All these blatantly false accusations of fraud in Arizona and Florida are not funny or cute because they are futile at the moment. They are a warning about what they are planning in the future because it's *always* projection.

• Options
    DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    I always figured "great people of" was just a fancy way of referring to everybody in a state.

Nah means the ones who agree with me.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • Options
    Inkstain82 wrote: »
    All these blatantly false accusations of fraud in Arizona and Florida are not funny or cute because they are futile at the moment. They are a warning about what they are planning in the future because it's *always* projection.

Past. They spent years suppressing people leading up to these elections.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular

*Looks over at Georgia*

Yes, the "future"

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    Inkstain82Inkstain82 Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Knight_ wrote: »

Past. They spent years suppressing people leading up to these elections.

Voter suppression and election fraud may be on the same continuum, but they aren't interchangeable.

Inkstain82 on
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Viskod wrote: »

oh my god I thought that was a parody account for a second. But no, he really said that.

He's a genuine piece of shit. I could not fathom his appeal in a pre-Trump world.

I wish I saved the attack mailers from his first run, because I can't remember the context but I do remember being shocked that they were from an official campaign.

Of course, that some time ago, they might seem normal now.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular

I see the projection as less of what they are going to do in the future, but as an admission of what they themselves have done in this election. Kemp stole the election from Abrams through sabotage, Scott stole the election from Gillum and Nelson through sabotage.

This discussion has been closed.