As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

As cool as winter, as hot as summer Dresden and other Books-Cinder Spires 2 is out!

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    I only really watched the first episode of the television show and all I remember is that I hated how Bob was portrayed.

I love the idea of Bob as just a skull. With the proper CG work and voice-acting I don't think it would limit his expressiveness in the slightest.

Plus the visual of Bob spinning around on his shelf to bang his bony forehead against the wall every time Harry says something dumb is funny.

On my re-read so far (Up to White Knight) I've come to realize that Bob really doesn't get much screen time. He's usually only around for a chapter or two to answer Harry's questions.

I also think it's pretty integral to his character that, as amiable as Bob is, he is definitely not human.

RT800 on
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »
    I only really watched the first episode of the television show and all I remember is that I hated how Bob was portrayed.

I love the idea of Bob as just a skull. With the proper CG work and voice-acting I don't think it would limit his expressiveness in the slightest.

Plus the visual of Bob spinning around on his shelf to bang his bony forehead against the wall every time Harry says something dumb is funny.

On my re-read so far (Up to White Knight) I've come to realize that Bob really doesn't get much screen time. He's usually only around for a chapter or two to answer Harry's questions.

I also think it's pretty integral to his character that, as amiable as Bob is, he is definitely not human.

Yes, Bob not being human is important.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    WACriminal wrote: »
    Doodmann wrote: »
    I wonder what would lend itself best to the books? I would be worried 10 ep seasons would be too many and you also probably don't want to combine mystery novels.

There are probably some of the books that could be combined, but I couldn't begin to guess which ones off the top of my head.

I think season length needs to be variable for this. Skin Game needs a different number of episodes from Ghost Story.

Honestly I think they could start with book three. The first two are very 'similar' in many ways, and probably would not lend well to getting multiple seasons of a series. Book three starts out with an introduction to Michael and what hes about. one and two could be done in flashbacks or short one-offs.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »
    Doodmann wrote: »
    I wonder what would lend itself best to the books? I would be worried 10 ep seasons would be too many and you also probably don't want to combine mystery novels.

There are probably some of the books that could be combined, but I couldn't begin to guess which ones off the top of my head.

I think season length needs to be variable for this. Skin Game needs a different number of episodes from Ghost Story.

Honestly I think they could start with book three. The first two are very 'similar' in many ways, and probably would not lend well to getting multiple seasons of a series. Book three starts out with an introduction to Michael and what hes about. one and two could be done in flashbacks or short one-offs.

I think you could merge 1 and 2 pretty easily and get about as much content and character moments as any other book. And it's not like Dresden doesn't often have multiple baddies.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    kime wrote: »
    Weren't there also indications that younger wizards are less incompatible with newer tech? Like, really old wizards had problems with milk curdling and physical devices. Dresden's generation is okay with mechanical stuff, but has issues with electronics.

Like as the technology seems less magical to the wizard, it's less incompatible with magic, or something.

Pretty sure
    Molly
    has a cell phone? Am I misremembering that?

Full series spoilers
    After she becomes the Winter Lady, she uses a cell phone and it freaks Harry out mentally

But thats because
    seeing her use a cell phone suggests that shes no longer human.

• Options
    Weren't there also indications that younger wizards are less incompatible with newer tech? Like, really old wizards had problems with milk curdling and physical devices. Dresden's generation is okay with mechanical stuff, but has issues with electronics.

Like as the technology seems less magical to the wizard, it's less incompatible with magic, or something.

Pretty sure
    Molly
    has a cell phone? Am I misremembering that?

Full series spoilers
    After she becomes the Winter Lady, she uses a cell phone and it freaks Harry out mentally

But thats because
    seeing her use a cell phone suggests that shes no longer human.

I mean, yes? That's why it freaks him out, yeah. Sorry if that wasn't clear :)

Steam profile
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    The people of the paranet can use tech because they are all very low-powered talents. harry being naturally rather powerful (but lacking experience and control) is why things tend to blow up around him.

azith28 on
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I think it would be funny if it's almost only Harry and McCoy that have this problem and he is just working from a wonderfully broken sample.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    The people of the paranet can use tech because they are all very low-powered talents. harry being naturally rather powerful (but lacking experience and control) is why things tend to blow up around him.
    Harry does know how to dampen his effect on tech, but it's mentally taxing and reauires constantly focusing on it. Presumably his seniors could manage longer, but it's impractical.

Much easier to use a dumb phone or magic to ask someone without that issue to help. I wouldn't be surprised if the Council has some non-wizards on staff for exactly that for instance.

Remind me - does Ivy ever use tech? If any wizard can pull it off it's her.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Harry does know how to dampen his effect on tech, but it's mentally taxing and reauires constantly focusing on it. Presumably his seniors could manage longer, but it's impractical.

Much easier to use a dumb phone or magic to ask someone without that issue to help. I wouldn't be surprised if the Council has some non-wizards on staff for exactly that for instance.

Ivy isn't a wizard, and non mortals don't affect tech the same way.

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

Ivy isn't a wizard, and non mortwod don't affect tech the same way.
    Ivy is absolutely a mortal human. The Archive is basically a heredity mantle that confers the entirety of human knowledge and the duty of the oblivion war.

She always seemed to be depicted as functionally a wizard but with a thpusand lifetimes of experience putting her in a class of her own.

I mean, it's possible she's not technically a wizard and just uses magic in similar ways, but...

Polaritie on
  • Options

I know, im just clarifying that the paranets purpose was to catch small and early talents and give them a way to be aware of the wizarding world so they dont break the laws instead of just ignoring those people 'too small to train' as the white council was doing. So most of the paranet are able to use computers and cell phones without a problem.

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

Ivy isn't a wizard, and non mortwod don't affect tech the same way.
    Ivy is absolutely a mortal human. The Archive is basically a heredity mantle that confers the entirety of human knowledge and the duty of the oblivion war.

She always seemed to be depicted as functionally a wizard but with a thpusand lifetimes of experience putting her in a class of her own.

I mean, it's possible she's not technically a wizard and just uses magic in similar ways, but...
    It's also possible that the knowledge gives her such control over her powers that she can use technology without risk.

• Options
    RhinocerousRhinocerous Registered User regular
    Apropos of nothing but thinking about breadcrumbs dropped over the course of the series:
    We're definitely going to see the Jade Court at some point, yes?

• Options
    NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    Apropos of nothing but thinking about breadcrumbs dropped over the course of the series:
    We're definitely going to see the Jade Court at some point, yes?

From Jim himself, I don't believe so. He describes them as a group that keeps to themselves and doesn't leave their territory. So unless Harry takes a trip to China....

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I could see 'them' appearing somewhere in the finale.

Assuming Butcher makes it all the way to the end, the capstone to the series is allegedly supposed/planned to be an 'Apocalyptic trilogy'. I could see a lot of things we've had for cameos showing up, and cameos for things that have only been mentioned in passing. Might even be a few things that aren't given proper names, just described in an action sequence or large battle scene. It'd very much fit his general style.

Of course, to loop that back around, at this rate I may be 60+ before the finale is written.

I'd suggest that maybe he aim for something less than another 8'ish books, but expect I'd be called a heathen/warlock and booted from the thread.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Forar wrote: »
    I could see 'them' appearing somewhere in the finale.

Assuming Butcher makes it all the way to the end, the capstone to the series is allegedly supposed/planned to be an 'Apocalyptic trilogy'. I could see a lot of things we've had for cameos showing up, and cameos for things that have only been mentioned in passing. Might even be a few things that aren't given proper names, just described in an action sequence or large battle scene. It'd very much fit his general style.

Of course, to loop that back around, at this rate I may be 60+ before the finale is written.

I'd suggest that maybe he aim for something less than another 8'ish books, but expect I'd be called a heathen/warlock and booted from the thread.

I want 8 books, but I also want them out faster than 1 every 5 years. I can't wait that long!

Steam profile
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    I mean they'll definitely pick and choose from the books. There's 15 of them so far with a 16th on the way so even if they divided it up two per season they'd have eight seasons, and very few shows warrant that.

Honestly, I kind of wish it would be the next replacement for Supernatural and just run for like 20 seasons and maybe cross over with Patricia Briggs Mercy Thompson since they might as well be in the same universe.

If I were plotting it out I'd put the first three books into season one, 10 episodes 1 hour each.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
    Honestly, if we are picking something that was just a mention in one of the books to come back for the apocalyptic trilogy....

I gotta go with
    Kemmler

• Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    I would rather they do each book in order, and make each season whatever is the appropriate length for each book. Book 1 could probably be done in like 4 or 5 episodes and be pretty faithful. Some of the longer/more complicated books might take as many as 10 episodes.

But that would only really work on a streaming service--I doubt any cable network would put up with such a strange format.

My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    Rchanen wrote: »
    Honestly, if we are picking something that was just a mention in one of the books to come back for the apocalyptic trilogy....

I gotta go with
    Kemmler
    Nah, that stuff already got an encore, and Kemmler is long dead. The wardens made very sure of that.

• Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    Update on my readthrough-with-partner. We just finished Fool Moon this afternoon. One of the first things she said:
    "I'm glad he's working things out with Susan. I'm really warming up to her the more we get to know her."

Grave Peril is gonna be rough.

• Options
    RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
    Update on my readthrough-with-partner. We just finished Fool Moon this afternoon. One of the first things she said:
    "I'm glad he's working things out with Susan. I'm really warming up to her the more we get to know her."

Grave Peril is gonna be rough.
    Changes is going to be very bad

• Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    Also worth noting that she had essentially the same reaction as... Whoever it was a few pages back that is on their first read of the series.

"Wait, you're saying it gets even more intense as the series goes? How?"

• Options
    I will say that the first time I read through Changes, when I first finished the book, I was pissed.
    I couldn't see how he could write his way out of that and didn't appreciate all the build up with the character going to waste (seemingly) in that fashion. To have Dresden killed like that, after everything he went through in that book, felt like a major betrayal.
    I was livid with Butcher. These books get to me like no other have.

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Nitsua wrote: »
    I will say that the first time I read through Changes, when I first finished the book, I was pissed.
    I couldn't see how he could write his way out of that and didn't appreciate all the build up with the character going to waste (seemingly) in that fashion. To have Dresden killed like that, after everything he went through in that book, felt like a major betrayal.
    I was livid with Butcher. These books get to me like no other have.
    Butcher had to kill Harry, and had to kill him with nobody else around. Recall that one of the Denarians used his Death Curse as "Die Alone!" against Harry. It neatly tied off that thread, allowed Butcher to write some short stories from a world without Dresden, and let him dig into necromancy with Dresden in a unique way.

• Options
    True, though that wasn't expounded upon until the next book, but it still ticked me off. I think that is a sign of how attached to the character I am. Dresden is one of my favorite modern literary characters.

• Options
    Yeah, that ending works better with the subsequent books, but when you read it right when it comes out? Massive WTF moment.

• Options
    I did read it when new, yeah.

• Options
    I feel like a character who would be well-suited to a surprise appearance in the final books is
    Tera West. Listens-to-Wind mentioned her, so she's definitely still got points of contact with the wizarding world. She's trustworthy in a way that a lot of people Dresden deals with aren't -- she's just a wolf, not interested in accumulating power. She takes care of her pack, and that's it.

I expect she'd come out of hiding if Billy and Georgia ran into trouble and she heard about it. She's not a super-powerful ally, but she'd be a reliable one.

• Options
    I feel like a character who would be well-suited to a surprise appearance in the final books is
    Tera West. Listens-to-Wind mentioned her, so she's definitely still got points of contact with the wizarding world. She's trustworthy in a way that a lot of people Dresden deals with aren't -- she's just a wolf, not interested in accumulating power. She takes care of her pack, and that's it.

I expect she'd come out of hiding if Billy and Georgia ran into trouble and she heard about it. She's not a super-powerful ally, but she'd be a reliable one.
    Yeah, she's totally going to be the "secret backup plan" that Dresden had all along, but we only realize in the culminating moments.

Steam profile
  • Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Upon finishing my re-read of White Knight
    Lash's sacrifice for Dresden felt a little flat.

I guess it's supposed to be inferred that Dresden had been rubbing off on her throughout the past three books or so, but it only ever actually gets mentioned in one chapter of White Knight. Most of the foreshadowing has been about her influencing him. I was actually kinda surprised when I realized that this was the book in which she dies - the relationship between them felt so underdeveloped that I thought it wouldn't happen for another few books.

But then she just kinda shows up as he's about to die and is all "You're too good for Lasciel!" and takes a psychic bullet for him. It just felt kinda rushed.

RT800 on
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular

Yeah, she's totally going to be the "secret backup plan" that Dresden had all along, but we only realize in the culminating moments.

That's not a great secret backup plan since by the final books he's going to be fighting some combination of Cthulhu and Sauron.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Man, Changes and Ghost Story sure is a lot, even knowing what's going to happen going in

Full Series Spoilers
    Honestly, Molly's whole arc from Changes on makes me real sad

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    I don't disagree with you and I am actuallly in the same place as you for my re-read! Just finished White Knight last night, but. . .
    It. . . kind of was setup books ago. You first hear her presence in Dresden's mind at the end of Death Masks and then you start to see Hellfire-turbo-charged spells throughout Dead Beat and Proven Guilty is when I think they have their first meeting. At the beginning of White Knight you find out that Dresden (or his Id) named Lasciel's Shadow 'Lash'. That simple act of naming that presence something else is enough to give it individuality and with individuality comes freedom of expression and choice. I will admit that the climax of that foundation during the bomb sequence was rushed, but Lash is quick to realize that Dresden's willingness to die for his principles and his friends is what makes him better than Lasciel was, is, or deserves. So Lash helps him out.

That whole idea of naming something comes back in a big way in Turn Coat when we found out that him calling The Archive, 'Ivy', has some serious ramifications for her power and position within the Unseelie Accords.

This all ties back to the first book when Dresden explains the power of names to contact and influence individuals.

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    My name is Harry Blackstone Copperfield Dresden, conjure by it at your own risk.

I've really liked that line whenever I've seen it.

• Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    I don't disagree with you and I am actuallly in the same place as you for my re-read! Just finished White Knight last night, but. . .
    It. . . kind of was setup books ago. You first hear her presence in Dresden's mind at the end of Death Masks and then you start to see Hellfire-turbo-charged spells throughout Dead Beat and Proven Guilty is when I think they have their first meeting. At the beginning of White Knight you find out that Dresden (or his Id) named Lasciel's Shadow 'Lash'. That simple act of naming that presence something else is enough to give it individuality and with individuality comes freedom of expression and choice. I will admit that the climax of that foundation during the bomb sequence was rushed, but Lash is quick to realize that Dresden's willingness to die for his principles and his friends is what makes him better than Lasciel was, is, or deserves. So Lash helps him out.

That whole idea of naming something comes back in a big way in Turn Coat when we found out that him calling The Archive, 'Ivy', has some serious ramifications for her power and position within the Unseelie Accords.

This all ties back to the first book when Dresden explains the power of names to contact and influence individuals.

There's a bit more to the name thing too
    Harry's habit of giving nicknames to all the big bads isn't just him being a dick. It's actually to deflect and mitigate their power, even just a smidge. At one point in time he makes a nickname for Uriel and they flip out because it is effectively erasing part of their being

• Options
    Moridin889 wrote: »

Harry's habit of giving nicknames to all the big bads isn't just him being a dick. It's actually to deflect and mitigate their power, even just a smidge. At one point in time he makes a nickname for Uriel and they flip out because it is effectively erasing part of their being

I don't think he does that intentionally, does he?

Steam profile
  • Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular

I don't think he realized the extent of its import but it was definitely intentional

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

I don't think he realized the extent of its import but it was definitely intentional

I assumed that his tendency towards giving his opponents nicknames was more him just being Harry and exercising a juvenile sense of humor rather than any intentional strategy on his part. It seems pretty classic from the PI Detective playbook: Insult your enemy, get them angry, hope they make a mistake, then hope that mistake is one you can survive.
    The fact that it may have an actual effect on them beyond just making them angry is unintentional.