As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Painting Miniatures] What colour is the best colour to paint your miniatures?

• NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Purple
    That's a good use of spare gunpla beam sabres. XD

It’s a trick I’ve done before
    H3myMZs.jpg

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    A different, worse colour
    Norgoth wrote: »

H3myMZs.jpg

It's always good to keep your poison clearly labeled.

• KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    Purple
    Mayday wrote: »
    Khraul wrote: »
    Mayday
    How do you get those orbs to look that bright and glowy? They're positively fluorescent

They are! I'm using VMC Green Fluo, highlighted with a mix of Green Fluo and yellow.

Whelp... Guess I gotta order that

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Purple
    So I'm sub assembling for the firs time, my Primaris Librarian. I'm using some flat head nails as the mounting posts and they work great...but the museum putty I got is not really strong enough to hold the pieces securely to them while I'm painting or airbrushing a piece. Any sub assembleres here with a suggestion on how to tack the models to the posts? I thought I heard someone mention blue tack in a video I was watching earlier, but I've never used it.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Purple
    DrOU9AoV4AACmba.jpg

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Purple
    Norgoth wrote: »

H3myMZs.jpg

I recall feeling similarly and sharing to my local group when you posted it then. ;)

edited November 2018
    Purple
    Ain't no party like a base-coat party, cuz a base-coat party don't stop!

Took a few hours, but every miniature that I own is now base-coated! edit Primed

Take all those awesomes back... the basecoat is a lie :lol:

v7936j0qzsce.jpg

Khraul on
    Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    Black carapaces and light flesh is a bold color scheme to pick for a horde army. I salute you in your efforts.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
    edited November 2018
    Purple
    Badablack wrote: »
    Black carapaces and light flesh is a bold color scheme to pick for a horde army. I salute you in your efforts.

Sadly not the case... Just the Vallejo primer

After a fifteen hour shift at work and three hours of airbrushing yesterday I kept thinking basecoat when they're just primed....

...I think it's good that I went to bed after I posted last night.

Naggaroth night carapace and pale skin is the end goal. I just based black on the carapace so the purple would be as dark as I want and based the skin white as it's a pain layering pale colors over black basecoats

They'll end up a nice traditional hive fleet Leviathan color scheme when they're done

I should also invest in some gray primer to make this process simpler

Khraul on
    Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
    Purple
    Basecoats happen today/tomorrow :D

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
    Purple
    This guy was the test mini...

mmli63htrzkd.jpg
    wbgi3s1y2azi.jpg
    bxsxxw321qtc.jpg

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    I had forget what it was like to primer with a stick
    As I painted my hand as well
    rfg6cdcfilsa.jpg

Brainleech on
  • italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    Purple
    Next time you paint your hand remember to use multiple thin coats. You'll get better coverage that way.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
    It was thin coats just the soap was not cutting it so I was going to wait till it dried and try again

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Black fingernails are so goth.

Purple
    I use a spray bottle of Simple Green post priming. Fast Orange or other automotive hand soaps also work really well, which I mention because, at least locally, there seems to be a strong correlation between war-gamers and people who do their own car maintenance.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
    I used to have a bottle of lava soap with granules of pumice in it to really tear the filth off your dirty hands. Took all the dried paint right off, along with some skin.

Well this is the first time I had primered in about 10 years so I had forgotten about how you can "accidently" spray yourself and I have none of those soaps on hand as I used to

Still I am looking at airbrushes since it was too hot to primer most of the summer or I was too busy as it would not take much to build a spray booth and this way I can do various other projects and large items that I feel spraying would get uneven coats

• bobAkirafettbobAkirafett Registered User regular
    Badablack wrote: »
    I used to have a bottle of lava soap with granules of pumice in it to really tear the filth off your dirty hands. Took all the dried paint right off, along with some skin.

That soap is the best damn soap I've ever used to remove stuff off my hands. Never hurt my skin/hands.

akirasig.jpg
    Purple
    Using my airbrush for an extended paint last night (2/3rd of a pot of ushabti bone based onto my Tyranid swarm) and all of a sudden a blast of what was almost entirely water shot out of the airbrush.

I hadn't thinned the paint at all, as it was a GW airpaint and the airbrush was dry when I started.

I don't know what happened.... Does my airbrush compressor moisture trap have something I should be doing with it? It looks like a little plastic bubble on the bottom of the valve that I don't really know what to do with.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
    I’ve had that happen before, I think it’s when the compressor starts getting hot and moisture builds up. Maybe let it cool down a bit.

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Also, most moisture traps have a release valve so you can force the water out with more air. Try that.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Purple
    I think it's just a practical joke by airbrush manufacturers.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • TheColonelTheColonel ChicagolandRegistered User regular
    Do you have an in-line moisture trap in addition to the one on the compressor?

Purple
    TheColonel wrote: »

There isn't one inline... there's a little plastic bubble trap below the valve that the hose attaches to, but nothing inline between the valve and the airbrush.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
    Purple
    I'm basing my Dark Eldar with sand, and I'd like to give it a sort of Tron: Legacy off the grid feel with its shiny, obsidian like rocks. Any suggestions on how to achieve that?

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • WatcherWatcher Registered User regular
    Would black sand finished off with gloss sealer work?

Purple
    I'm basing my Dark Eldar with sand, and I'd like to give it a sort of Tron: Legacy off the grid feel with its shiny, obsidian like rocks. Any suggestions on how to achieve that?

You can grab decorative stones (glossy black obsidian is an option) on ebay and amazon.

I grabbed some small amethyst chunks to finish off my Tyranid bases with purple crystals for like $7 usd on amazon.com

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • JustTeeJustTee Registered User regular
    Purple

There isn't one inline... there's a little plastic bubble trap below the valve that the hose attaches to, but nothing inline between the valve and the airbrush.

I've heard that you should get a hose that *also* has an inline moisture trap. But I haven't found any good ones to try out yet. I'll be painting up some Gloomhaven minis soon though, so I'll have cause for trying it out.

Diagnosed with AML on 6/1/12. Read about it: www.effleukemia.com

I vaguely remember what the tron rocks look like, but didn’t they have a faint glow? Something like incubus darkness washed with gloss nuln oil would leave a little color on the edges.

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Just paint some lines with radium paint on all your models and bases.
    Please don't

honovere on
  • TheColonelTheColonel ChicagolandRegistered User regular
    JustTee wrote: »

I've heard that you should get a hose that *also* has an inline moisture trap. But I haven't found any good ones to try out yet. I'll be painting up some Gloomhaven minis soon though, so I'll have cause for trying it out.

A lot of it depends on your climate and how hard you run your compressor, but having an additional moisture trap somewhere in the air hose path is definitely recommended. What brand of brush are you using?

• KneelKneel Ten thick coats Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Guys.

Guys.

I am painting a thing:

40gtm3ayxzwb.jpg

Kneel on
    Want to see more of Kneel's slapdash slatherings?
    Visit him at Monstrous Pigments' Instagram and Facebook pages!
    3EnCIQg.jpg
    Purple

I should grab one at some point... To Amazon!

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
    Purple

A lot of it depends on your climate and how hard you run your compressor, but having an additional moisture trap somewhere in the air hose path is definitely recommended. What brand of brush are you using?

Personally, just a super cheap masters.

But I ordered a Paasche that has some different needles and tip sizes that gets here today.

I think I'm finally getting good enough to upgrade

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
    Purple
    So I hit my (finally) completed Gravis Captain with Vallejo gloss varnish today, to seal him up. I was going to hit him with a coat of Tester's Lusterless afterword...but now I might not? The light gloss finish actually looks really good I think. It makes the gold pop and doesn't make the blue that shiny.

How are you guys sealing your models? Gloss than matte, or just leaving the gloss finish?

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • KneelKneel Ten thick coats Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    So I hit my (finally) completed Gravis Captain with Vallejo gloss varnish today, to seal him up. I was going to hit him with a coat of Tester's Lusterless afterword...but now I might not? The light gloss finish actually looks really good I think. It makes the gold pop and doesn't make the blue that shiny.

How are you guys sealing your models? Gloss than matte, or just leaving the gloss finish?

I generally stick with a matt finish. If I want something to look shiny, then I'll paint the shine effect by hand (the exception is TMM).

Want to see more of Kneel's slapdash slatherings?
    Visit him at Monstrous Pigments' Instagram and Facebook pages!
    3EnCIQg.jpg
    Purple
    Anyone else get nervous when starting to work on an expensive model? I'm about to start getting my Knight ready for prime and base coat and my stomach is in knots, lol. Such an expensive model and also a center piece of my army. My other center piece (Rbooty) I had someone else paint I was so nervous about it.

I deal with the nervousness of putting paint on super expensive and detailed models by just never painting anything.

It has a 100% success rate.

• NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Purple
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Anyone else get nervous when starting to work on an expensive model? I'm about to start getting my Knight ready for prime and base coat and my stomach is in knots, lol. Such an expensive model and also a center piece of my army. My other center piece (Rbooty) I had someone else paint I was so nervous about it.

Honestly. No. There’s a pretty good reason for this, and it’s because big expensive models (like a knight, or a baneblade, or a riptide) are actually in my experience way easier to paint than almost anything else. The knight in particular is basically a bare metal frame and a bunch of large plate panels. You could just basecoat, wash and dry brush the frame and then paint the panels in a base colour and then line wash the edges and it would look perfectly fine tabletop quality.

It’s the smaller pieces that take time. For my current project I can tell you firewarriors can fuck right off.

Ironically the inverse is true. Painting tiny models 10-15mm stuff is also real easy because basecoat, wash and highlight is about as detailed as you can get anyway.

This discussion has been closed.