As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - The Gnoll Set

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited November 2018 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - The Gnoll Set

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    buggybuggersbuggybuggers Registered User regular
    Philosophy? I didn't sign up for this!

• Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    Gabe asking the real questions here.

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

That's just the tip of the iceberg. We should also be asking if Taurens and Pandarens are animals. And if so, what does that make Worgen.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    RottonappleRottonapple Registered User regular
    Gnolls are humanoid according to wowhead, soooo, not an animal?

• Options
    TigrerojoTigrerojo Registered User regular
    A handjob and a pawjob aren't the same in the yiff glossary; therefore, gnolls have two paws, and two hands. Case Closed. Furries fix everything again.

• Options
    RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    Gnolls are humanoid according to wowhead, soooo, not an animal?

Also Forsaken are humanoid and not undead. Don't let the rotting flesh fool you.

But wait... we're talking about vanilla wow here. Which means Forsaken can be Turned and Druids can be Scare Beast'd once again... glorious...

• Options
    sokpupetsokpupet Registered User regular
    Using taxonomic ranking (and a splash of pedantry), of course gnolls are animals. Just like humans, orcs, elves, dwarves, taurens, pandarens, etc. are animals. The question Gabe should really be asking, is their level of sentience.
    Provided of course the Azerothan sciences have yet to create their own version with a separate 'mystical' kingdom or, dare I to dream, 'mystical' domain.
    Seriously though, if there isn't already a wiki out there where this has already been written I will be surprised.

• Options
    RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    Baloo is clearly bipedal and sentient, and he calls his hands paws. He is actually an expert on the subject, knowing as he does that you don't use the paw to pick a pear from the prickly pawpaw.

• Options
    TheSchaefTheSchaef Registered User regular
    I was not told there would be math.

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    The difference between people and animals doesn't exist. People are animals. Both literally, as in taxonimically, human beings are animals, and figuratively, as in we're all assholes.

• Options
    DramegnoDramegno Registered User new member
    edited November 2018
    well according to Merriam Webster:
    Definition of paw

(Entry 1 of 2)

1 : the foot of a quadruped (such as a lion or dog) that has claws broadly : the foot of an animal

2 : a human hand especially when large or clumsy

Dictionary.com
    noun

the foot of an animal having claws.
    the foot of any animal.
    Informal . the human hand, especially one that is large, rough, or clumsy: Keep your paws off my property.

and Cambridge Dictionary:

B2 [ C ] the foot of an animal that has claws or nails, such as a cat, dog, or bear:
    I found paw prints in the kitchen.
    Compare
    hoof noun

[ C usually plural ] informal humorous a human hand:
    Take your filthy paws off my nice clean towel!

So it would seem that a humanoid hand can be defined as a "paw" if only informally, which means 3 good sources for Gabe (animal remark not withstanding) and 0 for Tycho...

Somehow this feels wrong so very wrong... Why do I feel dirty?

Dramegno on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    This conversation about fictional races is making me uncomfortable

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    the only good gnoll is a dead gnoll. rip and tear until it is done.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    IRL though, do chimps and similar have two arms and two legs, with hands and feet? Or do they have four arms and four hands?

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Gnolls were a noble and proud race, once. The brute savagery now associated with them merely represent the desperate measures they have to resort to in order to survive, after centuries of slanderous rumors of dark magics and barbaric practices used as an excuse to drive them out of their settlements in order for the attackers to claim their lands for themselves.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    ok but we all know the real question is: would you rather have a dog with hands instead of paws or a cat with a human face?

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    If I had a dog with hands maybe I could play video games with him. On the other hand, I don't think I want to see the full range of cat emotion play out on a human face. If the cat was feeling extra lovey it would make me feel really uncomfortable, and if the cat was feeling really aloof then I wouldn't want to deal with its disdainful bitch-face.

Edit: On the other other hand, a dog who likes to, er, self-service would be impossible to live with if it learned how to use hands. God that would be a nightmare.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular

215501068_okkvi-1050x10000.jpg

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    I like how when Tycho says this question has made life difficult for him, Gabe just says "okay."

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    I like how when Tycho says this question has made life difficult for him, Gabe just says "okay."

My interpretation is that his "Okay" means "go on" because he knows he will anyway.

• Options
    KredKred Registered User regular
    I was thinking more like "Okay, I don't really care, in fact it gives me some degree of satisfaction to know this caused you grief"

I also like to think the last line is not a real argument, it's just Gabe throwing something out there he knows Tycho won't be able to stop obsessing over for the next week or so.