As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PS4 PRO + Samsung 4K TV + HDCP 2.2 Receiver = No Video, Yes Audio

MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNARochester, MNRegistered User regular
Hi everyone, as the title explains, that's my problem.

Samsung UN50HU8550 50-Inch 4K Ultra HD 120Hz 3D Smart LED TV (2014 Model)
Onkyo TX-SR343 2.2 HDCP Compliant 5.1 Receiver
Sony PS4 PRO

I have HDCP 2.2 compliant cables from monoprice.com.

I have enabled "UHD" color in the television screens, but every time I try to enable UHD Resolution from the PS4 Pro, it states my television isn't compatible.

I've triple checked that HDMI 4 (ARC) is UHD Enabled via the television menu and yes, I am connected to HDMI 4 (ARC).

Thoughts?

I am in the business of saving lives.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Oh, both the PS4 Pro and my television have the latest software updates.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Hi everyone, as the title explains, that's my problem.

Samsung UN50HU8550 50-Inch 4K Ultra HD 120Hz 3D Smart LED TV (2014 Model)
    Onkyo TX-SR343 2.2 HDCP Compliant 5.1 Receiver
    Sony PS4 PRO

I have HDCP 2.2 compliant cables from monoprice.com.

I have enabled "UHD" color in the television screens, but every time I try to enable UHD Resolution from the PS4 Pro, it states my television isn't compatible.

I've triple checked that HDMI 4 (ARC) is UHD Enabled via the television menu and yes, I am connected to HDMI 4 (ARC).

Thoughts?

Have you tried directly connecting to the TV instead of through the receiver? At the very least, you can eliminate the receiver as a cause of this problem. You can also turn off HDCP (not that this is a long term solution) and see if that's a problem.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Directly through the TV works, so figured something is up with my receiver, but then I tried PS4 Safe Mode and turned it to HDCP 1.4 and THAT won't go through the receiver either.

PS3 of course worked with no problem, so I am guessing it's a receiver thing?

• Options
    Well, after hours of switching cables and options, this is what I learned.

1. That television is 4k compatible with HDCP 2.0, but not HDR or HDCP 2.2 - which sucks.
    2. Even by setting the PS4 to HDCP 1.4 via Safe Mode, I still can't get it through my HDCP 2.2 AV Receiver.

I got it finally to work on a separate HDMI source, just ugh, what a pain in the ass.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    That TV is old enough that HDCP 2.2 was kinda non-existent, and Samsung doesn't really follow HDR standards. That's why even the top end Samsung TVs today don't support Dolby Vision, but instead use their own HDR10 standard.

That said, most receivers can't pass through UHD HDR content properly. Most decent UHD Blu-Ray players now have two HDMI outputs, one to the TV and one to the receiver for audio. You're likely stuck sending the video straight to the TV and sending audio back to the receiver via either ARC (ugh) or Optical.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Yeah that's what I ended up with, a different HDMI port and then optical for sound.

It raises a sticky question about my future projector and getting 4k through a receiver...

Anyway, this can be locked.

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    what if you used HDCP 2.0 cables?

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »
    what if you used HDCP 2.0 cables?

No such thing. There are two types of HDMI cable: standard HDMI, and High Speed HDMI. The latter you probably have if you bought the cable sometime in the last five or so years. Otherwise the only difference is whether they are in-wall rated or not.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter