As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

2018 Congressional/Senate Election Results Thread

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    RedTide wrote: »
    Maine becomes a lot more probable with ranked-choice voting.

Susan Collins had a red year to run in last time and was at least free of one Supreme Court Justice vote on her resume.

The base is going to be gunning for her scalp this cycle.

If he weren't so old, there's part of me which would love Stephen King running for the seat and blowing her out.

He'd have a great platform to campaign on but then he'd fuck it all up on election night.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    Maine becomes a lot more probable with ranked-choice voting.

Susan Collins had a red year to run in last time and was at least free of one Supreme Court Justice vote on her resume.

The base is going to be gunning for her scalp this cycle.

If he weren't so old, there's part of me which would love Stephen King running for the seat and blowing her out.

He'd have a great platform to campaign on but then he'd fuck it all up on election night.

His campaign speeches would be terrifying

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Are we speaking of Stephen King the author or Steve King the Nazi?

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    Inkstain82Inkstain82 Registered User regular
    To go into more detail on CA-39, Cisneros was down by 3600 votes going into today, they counted another 10k ballots and he gained 700, so he's now down 2900. The votes keep getting bluer as they count, due to the nature of what's being counted.

LA Times reporter covering it:

If there's even 45k votes left to be counted, that's probably enough, and she's estimating more than that.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Are we speaking of Stephen King the author or Steve King the Nazi?

Author. Maine fucking loves him, and he's not a fan of Collins. And he's rather outspoken on politics, honestly.

But we've veered WAAAAAYY off topic, so let's leave it at that. Sorry for the tangent.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    DunderDunder Registered User regular
    So how long until we see republicans start introducing bills and state constitutional amendments that severly limits how long vote counting can go on for

• Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    So if we assume Sinema has in fact won, then our range of Senate outcomes is:

net 0 (51 49 R)- Espy pulls off a miracle, Nelson pulls out Florida
    net -1 (52 48 R) - one of the above
    net -2 (53 47 R)- Espy loses, Scott wins

Looking ahead to 2020:

Dems are defending: Oregon (Merkley), Minnesota (Smith), New Mexico (Udall), Illinois (Durbin), Michigan (Peters), Virginia (Warner), Delaware (Coons), New Jersey (Booker), Massachusetts (Markey), New Hampshire (Shaheen), and Alabama (Jones).

So one likely loss, a couple potential swings, but overall not bad.

GOP: Alaska (Sullivan), Arkansas (Cotton), Colorado (Gardner), Georgia (Perdue), Idaho (Risch), Iowa (Ernst), Kansas (Roberts), Kentucky (McConnell), Louisiana (Cassidy), Maine (Collins), Montana (Daines), Nebraska (Sasse), North Carolina (Tillis), Oklahoma (Inhofe), South Carolina (Graham), South Dakota (Rounds), Tennessee (Alexander), Texas (Cornyn), West Virginia (Capito), and Wyoming (Enzi)

Also, whoever wins the Mississippi runoff in three weeks has to defend their seat.

Colorado is an obvious opportunity as that state has been trending Democratic. Maine loves its moderate Republicans, maybe the bloom is off that particular rose though finally. Then it depends on how things develop. Could get Iowa back with the right candidate (and continued tariffs) I think, North Carolina is doable, Georgia and Texas you need Abrams or Beto level candidates like say... Abrams and Beto, we could clone Jon Tester in Montana.

Also obviously anywhere weird you can recruit a great candidate and suddenly make things competitive. And there are some real assholes we'd love to take out on that list, like McConnell or Graham.

Winning the Senate seems doable, but it gets a hell of a lot easier if we get the Nelson win in particular. Especially since Espy would have to defend it again.

Just as an aside, McConnell is actually pretty unpopular in Kentucky. If the Democrats put up a reasonable candidate here and fund them properly, McConnell is far from unbeatable. Historically speaking, though, the Democrats pretty much refuse to do that, so we'll see. Hopefully this blue wave push will make them consider it.

There are also rumblings that our current shitty governor Matt Bevin is thinking about challenging McConnell in the primary, which would be fantastic. Bevin is a monster, but if he manages to primary McConnell somehow, that's a massive victory before we even get into his chances against a Democrat.

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    i would trade mcconnell for someone worse than mcconnell just to see him lose

of course, then we'd have to find someone worse than the person who's worse than mcconnell just to see them lose

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    i would trade mcconnell for someone worse than mcconnell just to see him lose

of course, then we'd have to find someone worse than the person who's worse than mcconnell just to see them lose

I mean, logistically, this shouldn't be a problem.

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Y'all remember those reports of straight ticket voting switching votes from beto to cruz?

THANK GOD.

These machines are total garbage. Why in the hell would you select an option by spinning a little wheel? WHY?

Edit: the houston chronicle is a newspaper

rhylith on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    So if we assume Sinema has in fact won, then our range of Senate outcomes is:

net 0 (51 49 R)- Espy pulls off a miracle, Nelson pulls out Florida
    net -1 (52 48 R) - one of the above
    net -2 (53 47 R)- Espy loses, Scott wins

Looking ahead to 2020:

Dems are defending: Oregon (Merkley), Minnesota (Smith), New Mexico (Udall), Illinois (Durbin), Michigan (Peters), Virginia (Warner), Delaware (Coons), New Jersey (Booker), Massachusetts (Markey), New Hampshire (Shaheen), and Alabama (Jones).

So one likely loss, a couple potential swings, but overall not bad.

GOP: Alaska (Sullivan), Arkansas (Cotton), Colorado (Gardner), Georgia (Perdue), Idaho (Risch), Iowa (Ernst), Kansas (Roberts), Kentucky (McConnell), Louisiana (Cassidy), Maine (Collins), Montana (Daines), Nebraska (Sasse), North Carolina (Tillis), Oklahoma (Inhofe), South Carolina (Graham), South Dakota (Rounds), Tennessee (Alexander), Texas (Cornyn), West Virginia (Capito), and Wyoming (Enzi)

Also, whoever wins the Mississippi runoff in three weeks has to defend their seat.

Colorado is an obvious opportunity as that state has been trending Democratic. Maine loves its moderate Republicans, maybe the bloom is off that particular rose though finally. Then it depends on how things develop. Could get Iowa back with the right candidate (and continued tariffs) I think, North Carolina is doable, Georgia and Texas you need Abrams or Beto level candidates like say... Abrams and Beto, we could clone Jon Tester in Montana.

Also obviously anywhere weird you can recruit a great candidate and suddenly make things competitive. And there are some real assholes we'd love to take out on that list, like McConnell or Graham.

Winning the Senate seems doable, but it gets a hell of a lot easier if we get the Nelson win in particular. Especially since Espy would have to defend it again.

Just as an aside, McConnell is actually pretty unpopular in Kentucky. If the Democrats put up a reasonable candidate here and fund them properly, McConnell is far from unbeatable. Historically speaking, though, the Democrats pretty much refuse to do that, so we'll see. Hopefully this blue wave push will make them consider it.

There are also rumblings that our current shitty governor Matt Bevin is thinking about challenging McConnell in the primary, which would be fantastic. Bevin is a monster, but if he manages to primary McConnell somehow, that's a massive victory before we even get into his chances against a Democrat.

I know. I'm bummed McGrath lost for this reason.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »
    Y'all remember those reports of straight ticket voting switching votes from beto to cruz?

THANK GOD.

These machines are total garbage. Why in the hell would you select an option by spinning a little wheel? WHY?

It’s been this way as long as I can remember. Might as well have just set up a bank of Commodore 64s or Vote by Wiimote, waggle only.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I don't have a cite cause they're internal numbers

But democrats abroad have our absentee participation up by 800% over 2014.

So the fact that absentee ballots are making a difference isn't a surprise.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited November 2018

THANK GOD.

It’s been this way as long as I can remember. Might as well have just set up a bank of Commodore 64s or Vote by Wiimote, waggle only.

Just solder the name of your candidate on this motherboard...

moniker on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »

THANK GOD.

"Here's a rubix cube. Each colour represents a specific candidate. Place a complete side with the appropriate colour under the camera to vote."

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular

THANK GOD.

Waggle 1-30 times for republican, precisely 31 times for democrat, 32+ for third party. Which one? Doesn't matter we'll pick for you.

• Options
    edited November 2018
    By the way, the Marquette poll continues to be spooky in Wisconsin:

They were kiiiinda on an island in the governor's race as the only ones to give Walker a good chance, basically.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular

THANK GOD.

“We must replace the current electronic machines with an electronic machine that produces a verifiable paper trail,” Trautman said. “The problem, of course, is the funding.”
    Pens are pretty cheap

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    moniker wrote: »

THANK GOD.

"Here's a rubix cube. Each colour represents a specific candidate. Place a complete side with the appropriate colour under the camera to vote."

That actually might be easier than some.ballots...even if it takes a little longer.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    A bunch of mail-in ballots in Miami-Dade may have not been delivered in time and counted because a mail center was locked down/evacuated due to the mail bomber back in October:
    https://www.rawstory.com/2018/11/postal-facility-locked-pro-trump-mail-bomber-may-thousands-ballots-democrat-heavy-district/

BronzeKoopa on
  • Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    So NY-11 was the last densely urban GOP congressional seat, the last one in NYC, the last really conservative bastion. It's the one with Staten Island, and it flipped in the midterm. When the news has talked about it, it's been cast as "the suburbs abandoning the GOP" like in other districts, but Mother Jones just published a story about how a group of Arab-American women jolted into political action by Trump and his racism powered the flip via phone banking, GOTV drives, and so on, and not just flipped the Congressional seat but also the state senate seat, which helped the NY state senate go Democratic for the trifecta.

It wasn't just a thing that happened. People made it happen.

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    A bunch of mail-in ballots in Miami-Dade may have not been delivered in time and counted because a mail center was locked down/evacuated due to the mail bomber back in October:
    https://www.rawstory.com/2018/11/postal-facility-locked-pro-trump-mail-bomber-may-thousands-ballots-democrat-heavy-district/

This is some bullshit. An official in Florida is saying those ballots are now invalid because they weren’t delivered in time, through no fault of the people who put the ballots in the mail in time.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Just caught up on this thread.

To Brian Kemp, Rick Scott, and the GOP in Arizona, I want to say, "Fuck off with your complaints about slow vote counting."

Kemp was Secretary of State. Scott was Governor. Arizona Republicans have held the Governorship and SecState for the past five elections.

You could have fixed this shit. You chose not to. Fuck off with your whining.

Especially Rick Scott. This has been an issue since at least 2000. You knew about it. You did nothing about it. Eat shit. Hope you lose.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »

To Brian Kemp, Rick Scott, and the GOP in Arizona, I want to say, "Fuck off with your complaints about slow vote counting."

Kemp was Secretary of State. Scott was Governor. Arizona Republicans have held the Governorship and SecState for the past five elections.

Especially Rick Scott. This has been an issue since at least 2000. You knew about it. You did nothing about it. Eat shit. Hope you lose.

This is by design though. They're only bitching about it now because it's finally being used against them instead of for them.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

This is by design though. They're only bitching about it now because it's finally being used against them instead of for them.

Oh, I know. Hence "Eat shit. Hope you lose."

Nothing more satisfying for the soul than a dick being dicked by their own dickery.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular

So they are seriously just not going to count these votes? I don’t under stand these arbitrary time limits. What’s the point of lame duck periods if there’s such an important hurry.

• Options
    Viskod wrote: »

So they are seriously just not going to count these votes? I don’t under stand these arbitrary time limits. What’s the point of lame duck periods if there’s such an important hurry.

Big areas take longer to count, are more Democratic.

• Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »

Big areas take longer to count, are more Democratic.

The big one.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular

See: Every conservative whining on my new rep's page that majority rule means their voices aren't being heard fairly after nearly three decades of majority rule Republican representation.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Further proof people still don't understand 'no taxation without representation'.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »

See: Every conservative whining on my new rep's page that majority rule means their voices aren't being heard fairly after nearly three decades of majority rule Republican representation.

The single stupidest thing I continue to read anytime the Dems get control is always the "remember the minority" as if the the fucking GOP ever does that god damn ever, except "remember to fuck over minorities."

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

Election writer, editor of the Cook Report, etc.

This is gonna make having to drive past the Richard Nixon Presidential Museum every day a little more palatable.

• Options
    grumblethorngrumblethorn Registered User regular
    Woops, I counted 22 invalid votes in this batch, better make them official! See this is the kind of crap that gives credence to even the most outlandish statements from Scott. This woman has a spotty track record, defied court orders and add this to boot. How she is in charge of elections is baffling.
    https://www.miamiherald.com/latest-news/article221478875.html

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    The person in charge in Broward County was appointed by Jeb and Scott didn't have a problem with them before.

• Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    If you've mixed a handful of invalid votes with a large armful of good votes, better to include a few people who shouldn't have voted than exclude a bunch of people who did nothing wrong. (Also, excluding ballots based on a signature mismatch can be awfully overzealous.)

• Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    Yeah like I said after I voted they were really pushing back on my signature and my buddy had an even worse issue with it

Signature is a dumb way to validate

616610-1.png
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Woops, I counted 22 invalid votes in this batch, better make them official! See this is the kind of crap that gives credence to even the most outlandish statements from Scott. This woman has a spotty track record, defied court orders and add this to boot. How she is in charge of elections is baffling.
    https://www.miamiherald.com/latest-news/article221478875.html

It seems that Snipes is bad at her job. We can absolutely talk about changing vote counting procedures for next time. That's an excellent idea.

In the meantime, we have a bunch of votes sitting here. We kinda need to figure out what to do with them! If there are 200 valid votes mixed with 20 invalid ones, it seems we have two choices: one, we ignore them all, throwing off the totals by 200 votes; or two, we count them all, throwing off the totals by 20 votes.

We should find some sort of statistics expert to help us determine which of those numbers is bigger.

Now, if there was reason to believe all of those 20 votes were deliberate fraud, you might have a good case for tossing the whole batch, because you would be introducing a known systematic bias. But most likely, the invalid votes are random fuckups that wouldn't introduce any systematic bias.

But this is all irrelevant, because the only reason Republicans want to ignore these votes is because they come from a democratic leaning area.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    I think that Rick Scott likes keeping Brenda Snipes around as a foil, figuring that her toxic blend of dishonesty and incompetence is not enough to be fatal but is enough to fire up Republican voters. It was nearly fatal this time, however. I suspect that the first thing that new Governor DeSantis will do is fire her.

• Options
    Not to mention that the *reason* those 20 votes are "invalid" is the completely ridiculous flim-flammery that is "invalid signature match."

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Inkstain82 wrote: »
    Not to mention that the *reason* those 20 votes are "invalid" is the completely ridiculous flim-flammery that is "invalid signature match."

That would have definitely invalidated my vote. I never sign it the same way twice.

This discussion has been closed.