As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Diablo 3] old thread is old

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    It's important to do the story mode so you can properly make fun of how bad the story is.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • fortyforty Registered User regular
    So, in d2 and d3 back when it launched I really liked the difficulty, i.e i was happiest when there was the chance the party could wipe to a tricky elite mob etc. I picked it up for the switch last week after not playing since d3's launch year and i'm really..eh..with the difficulty? It's just beeen a cakewalk the entire time. I'm up to torment 6 now on my first character and i was assuming torment 1 was where it'd start getting challenging, but it's still just everyone racing from point a to point b as fast as they can disintegrating everything with no risk..Does it ever get hard? It seems by the time i gear up to go up a difficulty level so things don't 1 hit me, they don't hurt me at all and it's a cakewalk. I'd like some equilibrium :( I started on expert and switched up to master and torment as soon as they were available.

You got lucky drops or the Season Journey set then. T1 is typically a wall (a short one for an experienced player) and T6 is where you go when you finally got that 6 piece bonus. If T6 is too easy, why not try T10? It goes to 13, I doubt you'll say it is a cakewalk when you bump it up. ALSO: ensure you aren't getting a false sense of power/security from other players. Sometimes I think I'm annihilating everything but realize it was my brother's insane Crusader Sweep build wiping packs out in 1 shot.

I've actually pretty much just been running rifts and greater rifts w/ the odd bounty so I haven't made any progress on the season journey set at all. And yeah since torment 1 it's been if I flick up to the next torment level too soon I get instantly annihilated, it just seems like it's binary so far. I.e Torment 3 will be a cakewalk and 4 will have things that one shot me, then i'll get say (this actually happened) a chestplate that increases my condemn damage by $texas and something else that reduces its cooldown and with that tier 4 will be a cakewalk where I heal faster then i take damage and 1 shot groups. Then t5 will one shot me until it switches to the opposite and I one shot everything. The next level up always seems to be "olol one shotted by everything impossible" or "olol one shot everything" the ramping is..bad? I dunno.
    Eh, it shouldn't be that binary. Each increase in Torment level increases monster damage by about 50%. If something is one-shotting you in T4, that same hit would do 2/3 of your health on T4, which you'd definitely notice.

• themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    As a PC player I didn't understand how season rewards work on the Switch so I just kept completing more of my journey expecting something to pop up on screen. Finally after finishing journey parts 1 - 4 I figured something was amiss and noticed there is a rewards button in the journey screen. I basically went from zero to 6 piece set so that was a nice bump.

“Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • WraithvergeWraithverge Registered User regular
    As a PC player I didn't understand how season rewards work on the Switch so I just kept completing more of my journey expecting something to pop up on screen. Finally after finishing journey parts 1 - 4 I figured something was amiss and noticed there is a rewards button in the journey screen. I basically went from zero to 6 piece set so that was a nice bump.

Yeah that's definitely not communicated well. I had no idea either until my brother told me. I suddenly has 4 pieces I didn't know I was entitled to!

• KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    I tried knocking out Belial on Master difficulty last night, spending an hour and a half trying to get past his fireball spam attack only to find out its a hard enrage and I'm not doing enough damage. It's WoW all over again. I'll have to save that for later, I guess.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    It's important to do the story mode so you can properly make fun of how bad the story is.

This is so sad. I absolutely loved Diablo 2's story. But 3 was a mess. I do like the bits with Tyrael in Heaven though. That was pretty cool.

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Kreutz wrote: »
    I tried knocking out Belial on Master difficulty last night, spending an hour and a half trying to get past his fireball spam attack only to find out its a hard enrage and I'm not doing enough damage. It's WoW all over again. I'll have to save that for later, I guess.

Is this your first clear? On story mode?

Belial is a a tough boss the first time you encounter him. He can be a bit of an endurance check. Depending on what your goal is, I'd say just drop the difficulty and do him on Normal and move on with the game.

Any loot he drops at <70 doesn't matter. Everything is replaceable, and nothing that drops during the story will be worth keeping. Better to just move on.

The real "meat" of Diablo 3 is adventure mode, and you are much better off completing the story without giving yourself any unnecessary headaches. Trying to force a boss on a higher difficulty isn't worth the effort or frustration.

• UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    urahonky wrote: »

This is so sad. I absolutely loved Diablo 2's story. But 3 was a mess. I do like the bits with Tyrael in Heaven though. That was pretty cool.

Chapter 5 was cool too IMO. But yeah at first I thought I enjoyed getting more logs and bits of info but when it amounts to "I will surely defeat you pitiful human" 25x it feels really cheesy, bog-standard and boring.

Worldstone lore was good because it was background info. Just learning more about the nature of the world and what Sanctuary is.

i.e.

e62AQvt.png?1

its tough because im really cool so dont mind me im just gonna jam out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uxg5W5wKvLE

something interesting to note is the sound of the town music in torchlight 1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVnRj3mxlKA&amp;t=141s

(at 2:21 if link doesnt work)

thats what it woul dhave sounded like if matt uelman had decided to pastiche himself for d3 >:O

what is sad for me is that the best thing about the older soundtracks was his strange (and pretty goth) habit of using electric guitars in strange places. he dropped that successively for torchlight 1 and 2 with more focus on other instruments and continued to use his interesting drum setups, but bring back the cheesy leads matt >:(

@surrealitycheck bumping up your jam out because after playing quite a bit of Diablo 3 the music is really its greatest failing. Just completely. There is nothing memorable or good. The only thing memorable in the least is New Tristram because it's a pale imitation of old Tristram, just some guitar noodling.

I went to fight Diablo again at the end of act 4 and the music as you run up the stairs to him is embarrassing.

I played the older Diablo games a lot more than 3 so far so you could say the music is more memorable just due to familiarity but I really doubt it will grow on me.

I totally agree on the use of electric guitars, but also his habit of dropping in surprising riffs here and there, you're going along with something 100% atmospheric and dark and all of a sudden a little flute comes in out of nowhere.

I feel like all the Diablo 1 and 2 music is drilled into my head forever, there are so many distinct sections to each track. Wilderness that you posted up there is one of the best ones. Series motif followed by the return of the trademark far off siren noise and "bones clattering" sound and then the rad part comes in and it fades out with the lonely guitar.

Another good Diabloish piece from Torchlight was in 2, it's kind of calm and slow but it reminded me of the orchestrated stuff from LoD, and then he also brings back the Torchlight 1 town at 4:20:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFeeM673Zrg&amp;list=PLC6EEcpJoxIssHfNbBEzTfwzwQ4ux1Hx9&amp;index=3

I dunno I just miss his work, it was so much of the heart and soul of the game. I guess in this game it would've been drowned out by the excessive dialogue and explosions.

I am looking forward to the Darkening of Tristram event in January to play with the D1 music.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • eMoandereMoander Registered User regular
    I'm up to Torment 6 on my demon hunter, just got to do some greater rifts to finish the season for that one. I'm thinking about starting up a necro as well, so happy to do some co-op leveling as well.

Friend code: 3304-2356-9421

Xbox: Travesty 0214 Switch: 3304-2356-9421 Honkai Star Rail: 600322115 Battlenet: Travesty #1822
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    I know it's kinda bad, but so much hatred for the story makes me kinda sad.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular

It's perfectly serviceable, and the game itself is fun.. It's just always a shame, because the animation often looks so great. If blizzard had great stories, they might give pixar a run for their money. But gameplay is more important in the end.

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
    edited November 2018
    I feel like all the Diablo 1 and 2 music is drilled into my head forever, there are so many distinct sections to each track. Wilderness that you posted up there is one of the best ones. Series motif followed by the return of the trademark far off siren noise and "bones clattering" sound and then the rad part comes in and it fades out with the lonely guitar.

Another good Diabloish piece from Torchlight was in 2, it's kind of calm and slow but it reminded me of the orchestrated stuff from LoD, and then he also brings back the Torchlight 1 town at 4:20:

I dunno I just miss his work, it was so much of the heart and soul of the game. I guess in this game it would've been drowned out by the excessive dialogue and explosions.

I am looking forward to the Darkening of Tristram event in January to play with the D1 music.
    I appreciate Uelman's work, but for me the good songs like Wilderness, Rogue, and of course Tristram are the exception. I actually happen to have the D2 OST as the current CD sitting in my car's CD player, and probably about 75% of the soundtrack just makes me go "meh." It's just kind of noise and ambiance, which doesn't make for good car listenin'.

forty on
  • NogginNoggin Registered User regular

I love the cinematics and overall story. I don’t think the Saturday-morning-cartoon villainy even phased me, the first time through.

After playing every class and seeing the story like 25 times, not so much.

Battletag: Noggin#1936
    edited November 2018
    forty wrote: »

I appreciate Uelman's work, but for me the good songs like Wilderness, Rogue, and of course Tristram are the exception. I actually happen to have the D2 OST as the current CD sitting in my car's CD player, and probably about 75% of the soundtrack just makes me go "meh." It's just kind of noise and ambiance, which doesn't make for good car listenin'.

I was also just listening to all of it in my car!

All the town themes are good IMO. I would assume extra work and care was put into them because the player would be hearing them a lot. I don't know if I could list too many standouts among the rest but I still like them. I like the generic dungeons of act 1 like the forgotten tower.

And I love all of LoD, it's different but still has that DNA, and none of it is just ambiance. Whether Harrogath, or the battlefield, or the path to the worldstone (menu music).

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • ToothyToothy Registered User regular
    I think the problem Blizzard has isn't the exact story beats or the arrangement of events, but the presentation of the game changed from horror to arcade. The dissonance with the fans of the first to can't really be reconciled, despite how much I like D3. It just feels like a different series.

LoD's soundtrack is definitely more listenable, with its full orchestra and less meandering pieces. To me, the D3 soundtrack reminds me more of LoD's, with orchestral and more bombastic songs.

• Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    The best music to play diablo to has always been Slayer anyways

:P

• IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    I think one of the most hilarious things about the story is in act 2, where like...no one buys Belial's fake identity. Not even for a hot second. He's just around for an hour or so chilling and everyone's like "Yea fucking right." There's no suspense, no slowly unraveling clues, Lord of Lies sucks ass at lying.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
    edited November 2018
    And it's a bit of a shame too because fantasy horror hadn't been done much at the time, there was Alone in the Dark and we were entering the era of Resident Evil type stuff but it still isn't explored that often except notably Dark Souls and also indie games (Crawl for example). Like I said before it was a little Cthulean in style. The tomes you found were like reading bits of the Necronomicon, or logs from people trying to stop the horror from reviving. A small town that's rotting like Innsmouth, all that. But all couched in familiar RPG tropes and crunchy stats.

Now it kind of feels like Warcraft all over again. Warcraft isn't bad, but they already have Warcraft. Two similar-in-tone franchises except one doesn't have a whole bunch of playable races.
    Ilpala wrote: »
    I think one of the most hilarious things about the story is in act 2, where like...no one buys Belial's fake identity. Not even for a hot second. He's just around for an hour or so chilling and everyone's like "Yea fucking right." There's no suspense, no slowly unraveling clues, Lord of Lies sucks ass at lying.

I thought it would've been cool if
    the kid was actually the legit ruler being watched and surreptitiously helping you out. They could've even done a whole thing where he disappears at the end of the act and we retread a bit of Diablo 1 - he's the new Albrecht, innocent host for the lord of terror. You think the kid is the Lord of Lies doing a sucky job but it turns out Belial is actually Leah or Adria. That way you can still get betrayed by "Leah" and have the tragedy of a kid being sacrificed for Diablo, plus his city thrown into chaos with no ruler.

They dropped obvious hints about everything so often. "Odd, he seemed to dodge your question." "Only nephalem can enter this place! We will see what sort of person you are!" etc. etc.

UncleSporky on
  • ToothyToothy Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    As soon as you see him in the sewers without any guards or protection, it's blatant. I would've liked one of the guards you rescue at the start of the act to have been him. Unnamed and inconsequential until you hear about him destroying all the civilians you saved and your impromptu camp while you were farting about with Mr. Kulle.

Then you have to find a safe place and your hiding merchants. Act continues as normal.

Toothy on
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular

I think Blizzard story writing definitely took a turn in general. Starcraft --> Starcraft 2 was the same way.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    the main problem with the story prior to act 4 is that the antagonists are like, the keystone kops of hell. Belial seems to be terrible at his central thing, Azmodan is incompetent, etc. When you do finally fight them they come across as though they're throwing tantrums. In act 1 the coven teeter on the edge of being comic relief.

I get that the idea is Hell has a lot of minor factions that Diablo has manipulated to facilitate his resurrection, but you'd still like them to be some amount menacing

also Cain's recitations about the various mobs you fight are often so overwrought that I kinda chuckled, which seems like the opposite of what they should evoke

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
    I actually can't tell which Act 2 story beat was worse, the Prince/Belial turn or the "twist" of Zoltun Kulle turning on you immediately after you revive him. Like, you knew you were going to be killing the dude at some point, but having it happen right away was just such a groaner.

• Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    also Cain's recitations about the various mobs you fight are often so overwrought that I kinda chuckled, which seems like the opposite of what they should evoke

*extremely old man voice*

the BLANK offfff BLAAAAAAAAAANK

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    edited November 2018

Did they patch this out later or is that just another feature of the Switch version?

I know I can go in the menu and listen to Cain read each mob's info but it didn't happen as I was playing, it just popped up saying "new data: Fallen" or something. However now in the postgame when I went to one of the later patched-in areas, Cain suddenly was talking about the new enemies as I was playing.

EDIT: Dammit sometimes Michael Gough says "Dee-ahh-blow" and sometimes he says "Dee-ab-low."

EDIT2: It took me this long to realize this is Cain:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gya8ZtPebFw

UncleSporky on
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular

It's perfectly serviceable, and the game itself is fun.. It's just always a shame, because the animation often looks so great. If blizzard had great stories, they might give pixar a run for their money. But gameplay is more important in the end.

I disagree, it's not serviceable, it's actively awful. And it's not a result of sacrificing story for gameplay, it's just bad because they're bad at it.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • soylenthsoylenth Portland, ORRegistered User regular

I think Blizzard story writing definitely took a turn in general. Starcraft --> Starcraft 2 was the same way.

Weird thing about both is how much the story seemed like a complete retread of the previous iteration anyway. It's like bad fan fiction.

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    the main problem with the story prior to act 4 is that the antagonists are like, the keystone kops of hell. Belial seems to be terrible at his central thing, Azmodan is incompetent, etc. When you do finally fight them they come across as though they're throwing tantrums. In act 1 the coven teeter on the edge of being comic relief.

I get that the idea is Hell has a lot of minor factions that Diablo has manipulated to facilitate his resurrection, but you'd still like them to be some amount menacing

I still think it was a mistake to ever start giving them real dialogue beyond being nebulous monsters that wanted to eviscerate you simply because you exist. Or at the very least, keep direct vocal interaction to a minimum("looking for Baal?"). Once you start giving away too much about them, all the mystery disappears and they become rather bog-standard villains.

• rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Donnicton wrote: »
    I still think it was a mistake to ever start giving them real dialogue beyond being nebulous monsters that wanted to eviscerate you simply because you exist. Or at the very least, keep direct vocal interaction to a minimum("looking for Baal?"). Once you start giving away too much about them, all the mystery disappears and they become rather bog-standard villains.

Yeah the literal director of the game doing Diablo's voice isn't amazing storytelling either. It only worked because they didn't constantly push it in your face.

rahkeesh2000 on
    @UncleSporky Please add me to your Switch player list, 1865-7515-8884.

edited November 2018
    Updated Officially Official List of Nintendo Switch Diablo 3 Players

UncleSporky - 5443-2358-9118
    skeldare - 3353-5433-5137
    Wraithverge - 0125-6851-0236
    TimFiji - 2322-2047-3148
    Stormwatcher - 5961-4777-3491
    TNTrooper - 6905-2510-1809
    DoctorArch - 6732-9515-9697
    Lindsay Lohan - 4979-2868-8944
    themightypuck - 1501-9129-2620
    urahonky - 0354-0000-5457
    Kyanilis - 2835-3370-3810
    eMoander - 3304-2356-9421
    Kreutz - 1865-7515-8884
    Russad - 5307-0485-5998
    Entaru

Rehab
    mojojoeo
    DarkMecha

By the way, even though I'm making this list I don't know if I will play online much or at all. I have kinda bad internet and I tried playing with a friend for a bit and it was lag city, I had like 1 FPS (in terms of network frames, not graphically). Everything suddenly warping around all the time. But we'll see.

I might see if I can get some help doing harder season path stuff like the "play acts 1-5 in an hour" where you work together to clear out stuff in each zone while one person waits in town to turn it in. Unless most people don't care about that. I think it'd be cool to get to the end of the path if I can.

UncleSporky on
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    The three easiest ones are boss mode (kill all bosses within so many minutes), avarice (gold streak) and thrill (45 greater right no set items).

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
    edited November 2018
    Betsuni wrote: »
    The three easiest ones are boss mode (kill all bosses within so many minutes), avarice (gold streak) and thrill (45 greater right no set items).

Yeah I'm doing bounties right now to do Avarice that way, easier with double. I need to do like 5 full clears basically. I know there's a faster way, I need the mats anyway.

UncleSporky on
  • themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    I figure Thrill becomes laughable one you have much paragon points.

“Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    I figure Thrill becomes laughable one you have much paragon points.

It also depends on the weapons combos plus accompanying gear for insane damage. So like example, Cindercoat with Yang's and Dead Man's with some cooldown gear (Leoric's Crown with Diamond) can make a 45 easy without much Paragon Points.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • KlatuKlatu Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi OiRegistered User regular
    Some classes can also accomplish Thrill much easier than others. DHs like Betsuni mentioned and Barbs as well with a HOTA or SS build are 2 that come to mind.

But yes, if you had something like 1k para, then the thrill is easier than if you had 20 para.

Steam id:Klatu - PS id: Klatu_PA - 3DS FC: 0920-0528-6680
  • RussadRussad MARegistered User regular
    If anyone wants to be console buddies, my switch code is SW-5307-0485-5998

Nemesis system still fun. I just avenged @TNTrooper !

Big thanks to @themightypuck for the Nemesis that so graciously donated three legendaries to my inventory. Also, my apologies to whoever gets my own well-fed Nemesis.

Hey real quick!

I finally got a ring I've been needing for ages, Circle of Nailuj's Evol.

I need the cube power I currently have so I've got to wear this thing at the moment. However it doesn't have a socket.

I know there's a site that will let me put in my whole build and all the modifiers and everything but that's a lot of work (copying info over from console) just to answer this one question.

Should I replace:

65-134 damage
    chance to deal 17% area damage on hit
    456 intelligence
    30% critical hit damage

I'm thinking the critical hit damage is possibly the biggest thing there, although that depends on if it applies to all the pets too.

Maybe the 65-134 damage?