As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Blood Bowl] Triple Skulls Every Time

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    It's official, the Goblin Team won the league and play off game this season.

My elves, after a bit of a disaster of a last game against some Undead ended up on place 10 out of 18.

The stated goal of the game was to make a bunch of money for the next season and to not lose too many players. After a total of 5 k.o.s (both teams) and one death on my side, the goal had to be a bit adjusted. I tried to stay out of conatact as much as possible, but our armour and injoury rolls were just insane the whole game. It ended with 3:5 casualties which hit me alot harder because of regeneration working every time on the Undead's side. In addition to the first death I also lost one of my ST4 Blitzers after the Apo fudged it (as he always does).

I made a pretty big mistake in the second half when I forgot about his Starplayer Setekh and his MA6 and had my ballcarrier to close and after the ensuing chaos had to score very early which allowed the Undead a comeback to equalize. With my team utterly decimated and him winning the coin toss for overtime, there wasn't much I was able to defend and I lost 2:3.

Silver lining was that none of my players wanted to retire and after the Blitzer's death I was able to buy back the rest of the team for the next season.

Other greenskin related fun fact of the season besides the Gobbo winners: The most succesful thrower of the season is an Orc with I think 15 completions in 9 games.

• Ken OKen O Registered User regular
    Sorry to hear where you ended up in the standings, but I had to awesome a Goblin win. Wow.

http://www.fingmonkey.com/
    Comics, Games, Booze
    edited October 2018
    It is pretty funny. They lost a single game the whole season, against the pass game playing Orcs. I was at least able to get their one draw out of them.

Season was a bit weird. For me, too. I fared pretty well against the supposedly "strong" teams, but against the others? not so much. But that's Nuffle.

The league is also growing nicely. Next season has at least 20 people so far.
    6 teams of Elves of some kind, 2 Chaos Dwarfs, 1, Nurgle, 1 Chosen, 3 Skaven, 2 Norse, 1 Goblin, 2 Orcs, 1 human, 1 Vamps

honovere on
    edited October 2018
    https://youtu.be/RUjVhMhTMW0

I hope the artwork of the dead dwarf is a teaser for a undead booster pack with dwarf, ork, and elf skellies/zombies

honovere on
  • Ken OKen O Registered User regular
    I have 2 completed teams and one that needs painted. I don't need a fourth. I don't need a fourth. They look great, if I keep telling myself I don't need them I might eventually believe it.

http://www.fingmonkey.com/
    Comics, Games, Booze
    Kinda funny that the only running model in that team is the mummy.

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Sports zombies! Best fantasy sports armour yet imho. All of them.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    First match of a new league today, everyone is playing new teams so should be fun. Playing Chaos and my first match is against humans, so my only real plan is to inflict some horrific ultraviolence.

• TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    I have 2 chaos warrior blockers with dodge in my league now. Maybe I'm just not meant to play bashy teams

TIFunkalicious on
    I have 2 chaos warrior blockers with dodge in my league now. Maybe I'm just not meant to play bashy teams

It lets you blitz the important targets easier!

Our league ist starting into the new season today. We're up to 26 teams now, sorted into 6 groups acoording to positions after playoffs in the last season and new players get their own groups to give them a ease in period before they can meet more advanced teams.

There will be a total of three phases where groups are redrawn. Then a Playoff game for a total of 10 games for everyone.

For the first phase my group is humans, orks, undead, and my elves.

I need to level up a lineelf or my second thrower fast. I really want another kicker. My game really suffered after loosing the last one.

edited November 2018
    3-2 for the Elves! Whooo! After 3 losses in a row last season that's a nice change.

It started a bit shakey, because we happened to play on astrogranite and +1 to armour rolls in a game against orks didn't seem like much fun and the first Elf was off badly hurt in the first turn only because of that +1, but later ob the Orks didn't manage to make much of the injury rolls so CAS ended up 2-2 with only badly hurts on both sides.

Best move of the game was again by the Star Blitzer who managed to get the ball loose deep in the enemy half, then got surrounded by four Orks (including a BO and a tackler), managed to dodge free, blitz one of the three orks away from the ball, picked it up on 5+, made two more dodges out of that scramble and scored, all without a re-roll. Proper Elfball.

Also one of the throwers racked up two more casualties, making him my second most successful blocker. I suspect he might be a Dark Elf.

Next game is against the undead who obliterated my team in the play offs. It's time for revengeance.

I'm looking forward to the result of today's game where last season's winner,gobbos, has to go up against last season's second most bloodthirsty team, Orks.

honovere on
  • BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    Funnily, my Goblins are actually heading to the Final match in our league, as well, following an enormous upset where I beat the (until then) undefeated Norse favorite, knocking them into the 3rd-4th place match. The score went 2-1 after a one turn, throw teammate touchdown on turn 16.

My hands were shaking. Guys, Doom Divers are so good.

I'm actually hoping that I lose the finals and come in second overall, in a weird way, because if I won the whole shebang I'd feel obligated to take the team into season 2, and I've been working on a custom Tomb Kings team that I'm really excited about.

• Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Funnily, my Goblins are actually heading to the Final match in our league, as well, following an enormous upset where I beat the (until then) undefeated Norse favorite, knocking them into the 3rd-4th place match. The score went 2-1 after a one turn, throw teammate touchdown on turn 16.

I'm actually hoping that I lose the finals and come in second overall, in a weird way, because if I won the whole shebang I'd feel obligated to take the team into season 2, and I've been working on a custom Tomb Kings team that I'm really excited about.

Maybe you'll win with 90% casualties!

edited November 2018
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

Maybe you'll win with 90% casualties!

One can only dream!

My team is currently tied in the league for most deaths suffered, with a particularly unlucky Dark Elf coach who had a very rocky start to the season. In particular, I've lost four Goblin 'Ooligans over the course of the season, and they're not even good players. Now I just rehire them to spite Nuffle.

BloodySloth on
    I was playing PC Bloodbowl trying out the undead team because hot damn those models, and against a goblin team my wizards fireball killed five players including a troll.

That feels about right for goblins.

The new Undead team looks great, but I'm drooling over the new dice for my Tomb Kings:

thumb_undeaddice.jpg

edited November 2018
    The Nagarythe Nomads - these guys:
    m1zjde1muw4u.jpg

now have a club logo
    naygsucrxsdx.jpg

I might make a few more changes, but for now I'm happy.

edit:

This season is starting to go bonkers right of the bat.
    - The first three games on the first day had a total of 17 touchdowns including a 5:3 with 12 completions by both teams in total (HE-WE).
    - The Gobbo team won their first game against the Orks (CAS runner up last season)
    - The "most CAS"team of last season, Chaos Chosen, lost thier first game against Dark Elves 0:1, with two! dead Chaos players and one -AV while making no CAS themselves against the Elves.

Oh, and next game I have to play against a Zombie that used to be my Blitzer.

honovere on
    edited November 2018
    Played the second game of my local league yesterday. Managed a 1-1 draw against nurgle, which is a miracle because at one point my dugout looked like this

yMBkBvy.jpg

Norgoth on
    Hmmm, that Chaos pitch is nice! I haven't bothered with the Elf pitch for my team so far, because it's just a bit boring looking. In my opinion probably the weakest design of all the team pitches.

Do you have a picture of your full team? They look great!

honovere wrote: »
    Hmmm, that Chaos pitch is nice! I haven't bothered with the Elf pitch for my team so far, because it's just a bit boring looking. In my opinion probably the weakest design of all the team pitches.

Do you have a picture of your full team? They look great!

Heres some before they got based.

I really like the chaos pitch because the tiled floor matches the grid, making it the only GW pitch where you can clearly see the squares.

edited November 2018
    I once found a reference sheet online for the new BB that had pretty much all the stuff on it that the regular reference sheet from the box set did not have. It even used the same design and layout.
    But I lost the file and can't find it anymore. Anyone has any idea where that came from maybe?

edit:found it. :) It was a reddit thing :/ But it looks nice. :)

I also made two variants for the logo. Maybe I shoud've take the time to make the quality a bit higher but eh, for just messing around a bit, it's okay.
    9az9s9wtvbka.jpg
    yjeghw0dkb63.jpg

honovere on
    edited November 2018
    Well I won the finals of our league! It was my Goblins, the Blightwater Stranglers, vs the opponent's Skaven, the Packer-ers. The final turn was an intense mess where it ended with me forming a circle around the ball, and him diving for it, where it ended up scattering 5 times and landing on a linerat who had already moved. He succeeded at the catch, which he tried to re-roll into a failure so that he could get it to a rat who could actually score, but re-rolled into another success, ending his chances of taking the game into overtime.

We weren't 100% sure on the RAW on if you can actually use re-rolls on successful rolls, but it felt like the right call at the time.

The game ended 2-1. My biggest fear was that it would be a closeout in one way or the other, which can happen with both Skaven games and Goblin games, and in fact my previous 2 games against that team had ended in a 3-0 and an 0-3. But no! Weather effects, a Goblin being eaten, both of us using the new League rules to have Star Players rostered, thus skirting the inducement clause for post-season matches, my Miggz failing his Wild Animal nearly every single turn of the game, a level 0 Goblin with no experience stunning a Rat Ogre... it was bananas.

BloodySloth on
    What's the post season clause for inducements?

Game sounds like it was a blast. Also Gobbos!

Had the second game of the new season yesterday. Against the same undead I lost the playoff game last season with 2:3 in overtime and two dead elves.

It started pretty much the same as last time with him breaking through every armour except once in the first half. He scored in turn 6 but I got a bit luckier with the rolls for the heat and he was down three players including a mummy for the next drive while only a single elf blitzer needed a rest in addition to the one casualty I already had and most k.o.ed players came back, too. I equalized on turn 8 without problems and a mummy also almost got taken out due to gfi, but that damn regeneration.

We started with nice weather into the second half.
    I ran up the sideline but made a pretty dumb mistake with positioning while trying to clear the path from a mummy. A lucky ghoul block and catch and then counterblock later the ball went off the pitch and after some scattering ended up in the hands of the other mummy.

To prevent a cage I got into a bit of scrum, managed to get the ball free, ag5 catcher got in and passed the ball away to the remaining thrower.

The thrower circled around half the pitch, chased by a Wight, to get a clear line of sight to the Endzone. Of course snake eyes fumble.

The undead snatched the ball and made it within 3 squares of the endzone after the ST4 tackle blitzer with reroll didn't manage to get anything better than a push on the ball carrier.

Turn 15: cue the ag5 catcher, again. 3 dodges, gfi, block, pow, catch. Last turn the elves rush 23 squares, touchdown. Of course one catcher gets app for a pass and the other for the TD, while the lineelf that caught the pass and carried it to the scorer gets nothing. Such is life in a pro elf team.

Very exciting and fun game.

honovere wrote: »
    What's the post season clause for inducements?

Just the bit where you can't use inducements to enlist the help of Star Players in playoff games. It specifies inducements, which don't enter into the equation if you're using treasury money to keep them rostered.

Ah, okay. Missed that so far.

Hmmm. Catcher with block and dodge and ag5. Next skill sidestep or leap? I fear leap without wrestle, tackle, or strip ball might not be all that great.

Leap is fantastic for a dude trying to get away from or past a defence; you get to move two spaces for the cost of two movement but only one agility roll, and you get an extra path which no-one ever guards.

Sidestep is safer in general, especially if you're up against a lot of Frenzy. Leap is an active thing you can do on your turn, though, and a successful leap can turn a game around where a Sidestep usually won't. With 5 Agility the riskiest part of Leap is already taken care of about as much as you can hope it to be without long legs, so at that point I think it's more a strategy preference. You're right that Leap is a lot more useful if you can also throw something like Wrestle or Strip Ball on him, but Leap still makes a player a really slippery ball carrier without any offensive skills.

• MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Well I won the finals of our league! It was my Goblins, the Blightwater Stranglers, vs the opponent's Skaven, the Packer-ers. The final turn was an intense mess where it ended with me forming a circle around the ball, and him diving for it, where it ended up scattering 5 times and landing on a linerat who had already moved. He succeeded at the catch, which he tried to re-roll into a failure so that he could get it to a rat who could actually score, but re-rolled into another success, ending his chances of taking the game into overtime.

We weren't 100% sure on the RAW on if you can actually use re-rolls on successful rolls, but it felt like the right call at the time.

The game ended 2-1. My biggest fear was that it would be a closeout in one way or the other, which can happen with both Skaven games and Goblin games, and in fact my previous 2 games against that team had ended in a 3-0 and an 0-3. But no! Weather effects, a Goblin being eaten, both of us using the new League rules to have Star Players rostered, thus skirting the inducement clause for post-season matches, my Miggz failing his Wild Animal nearly every single turn of the game, a level 0 Goblin with no experience stunning a Rat Ogre... it was bananas.

I play goblins a lot, and my total biggest fear is Skaven. Their gutter runners can totally devastate you because you don't have the usual strength 3 players to get 2 dice in a blitz against them.

My current league my goblin team is 0-3-1 (technically 1-3-1, but the one win was an absence forfeit so I don't count it). I was just getting slaughtered by serious business dwarf and elf teams, usually at around 200-280 higher value.

I just got my first real win against one of the top teams, a high elf one. I had 330k in inducements. Usually I go for bribes (to keep secret weapons in play), a wizard, and maybe a bloodweiser. This time I said fuck it and went with a halfling chef (spending 20k petty cash to get a bribe).

WOW what a difference that made. Rolled a '2' for both halves (getting a '1' suuuuuucks), giving me 5 rerolls but more importantly reducing him to only 1. SUCH a big difference when even a hugely superior team suddenly can't afford to make any risky plays. Lots of times he had to accept subpar rolls, not wanting to spend the only reroll he had. Once the one reroll was gone, tons of turnovers started happening whenever an unlucky catch or dodge happened; having one or two more rerolls would have allowed devastating plays to be carried out against me.

Another bright spot was my chainsaw looney. I used him for my blitz every turn, making sure to cage him after every play to protect him. He ended up inflicting FIVE casualties and taking almost half the elf roster out of the game. Have you ever seen a game where the goblin team has zero players out of the game at half time? Meanwhile elves could only field 6 players during the 2nd half. Glorious.

MrBody on
    Thanks for the advice. I went with tackle in the end as our league is dodge leaning this season. Not as exciting as leap on offense or as annoying as sidestep on defense, but I have so many situations where my catchers are the only players fast enough to take out some dodgy receiver that I think it might be worth it.

Champions of Death:

https://warhammer-community.com/2018/11/30/30th-nov-the-champions-of-deathgw-homepage-post-2fw-homepage-post-3/

The trainer's name is one of the lazier ones I can remember from GW. Even I as someone who knows nothing about the NFL was able to figure it out.

• ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    I got as far as, "They’re dead good,**** able to go toe to toe with an Ogre or Troll, and will easily push around Strength 4 opponents," in the Mummy entry and had to stop to consider the fuckability of mummies for longer than I am comfortable admitting.

The new undead dice are even cooler in person, having a super-matte finish on them that almost gives them a stone (or bone) like texture.

The new wizard for Tomb Kings, Necromantic, and Undead teams is awesome, being able to turn an opponent incorporeal (thus losing tackle zones and the ability to hold the ball) or to give every skeleton and zombie in the game +1MA, +1AG, and +1AV for a turn. You have to roll for both and they only work on a 3+, so it's a bit more of a gimmick than a workable strategy, unfortunately. Still sounds incredibly nice to have as Tomb Kings if you can swing the inducement cost.

Big discussion in our league right now is how to handle old and new star players. So far we used the new ones along with the old naf list. But now star players begin to double up and you got hack n slash next to Bryce the slice, two undead chainsaw players. It's up for a vote right now.

Also we're ignoring a bit from the 2018 almanac where the FAQ rolled the petty cash rules back to the way it worked in the LRB which would make using money from your treasury totally useless. The 2016 version made much more sense.

So how do you play it exactly? The new FAQ seems more like a clarification of one part of the process?

edited December 2018
    '16 rules didn't say that you add petty cash from your treasury to TV before comparing TV. LRB and FAQ do that.

For comparison:
    '16 rules:
    Player A TV 1.000.000 vs. Player B TV 1.140.000

TV gets compared for petty cash.

Player A gets 140k in petty cash. he decides to add 10k to afford a wizard for 150k.

FAQ/LRB:
    Player A TV 1.000.000 vs. Player B TV 1.140.000

player A decides to add 10k from the treasury which immediately gets added to his TV,

Only now TV is compared so Player A TV 1.010.000 vs. Player B TV 1.140.000

Player A only gets 130k for inducements, so spending money from his treasury means he can afford less Inducements.

Theoretically Player B could outspend Player A with the '16 rules but stuff like Expensive Mistakes makes it really risky to hoard money under the new rules.

honovere on
    Managed a 2-2 draw against eleven union with my Chaos when my agility 4 beastman made an interception on my opponents turn seven and then proceeded to make the pass on my turn eight for a last turn touchdown.

I played a whole season of Chaos vs Agility teams last year and it made me want to pull my hair out

I played a whole season of Chaos vs Agility teams last year and it made me want to pull my hair out

I managed five casualties from it, giving me three warriors with block and the ag 4 beastman all 1-2 spp away from second level so at least it was very lucrative experience wise.

I’ve got a few more games left, and then the leagues cutting into two groups for play offs. I’m currently only at one loss, everything else is a win or a draw. Considering I started with the brand new Chaos team this is pretty good, it takes a good while to get a Chaos team “ready” to actually win games. Means I’ll be going into the top set of play offs with a shit load of mighty blow warriors and a ball carrier with big hand or something.

Hope fully in my last couple of pre-playoff games I can get a claws on a player to really be up and rolling.

Can you carry them over to a new season? My league gives every roster a 2-season lifespan so nobody gets an out-of-control mutation team but it still doesn't feel like enough time if you aren't rolling hot. Claw is like a 3rd skill on most of the players I would take it on

• Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular

Grab is an under rated skill.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.