As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures] Finn is a Big Deal

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Striker pack has nothing new in it, so...

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Striker pack has nothing new in it, so...

I know. So it means "Hey! We'll basically sell none of these to new players." This is a nice way to go for their old players, I was very confident they would go "HAHA IDIOTS HAVE FUN BUYING THESE SHIPS AGAIN" with brand new awesome pilots and upgrades.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    It kinda seems like they want you to pick a faction and stick with it

and after Wave 3 everyone will have 3 ships, I think?

I guess it makes sense if you look at it that way?

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    Unless the arc comes with rebel cards/cardboard, I think that still leaves Rebels at 2. The packaging makes it look like it's only republic.

• Options
    edited November 2018
    Unless the arc comes with rebel cards/cardboard, I think that still leaves Rebels at 2. The packaging makes it look like it's only republic.

U-Wing.
    Mr. G wrote: »
    It kinda seems like they want you to pick a faction and stick with it

and after Wave 3 everyone will have 3 ships, I think?

I guess it makes sense if you look at it that way?

This kind of makes sense the other way. Stick with one faction would be consistent releases for all factions. Staggering it makes it seem like they're counting on you to buy shit because it's new and there aren't any other ships for your faction so fuck it might as well get into the Separatists.

Imps will have 4 ships (TIE Fighter, Advanced, Reaper, Striker), and Scum will have 5 (YT-1300, Firespray, Fang, Mining Guild Tie (wave 2) Z-95) to 3 for Rebels. There's no way that's the case. It's called X-Wing. They're the marquee faction.

ChaosHat on
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular

Rebels have the X, Y, and U-Wings

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Did they release a standalone yet? I wasn't really counting Saw's Renegades, and you can't get the unique pilots from the conversion kit for the U-wing yet.
    If you count that and the TIE Reaper, Rebels have 3 expansions (X, Y, SR) and Imps have 4 after wave 3 (TIE, TIE Adv, Striker, Reaper).

After Wave 3, Scum will have 5 expansions as well (Z-95, Fang, Firespray, Lando's Falcon, Mining Guild TIE). I assume that's because they were able to find new ships to release because of Solo.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Anyone notice the vulture fighter with 3 unique pips instead of one?

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    Wee, Vulture droids!

...Wait, twenty bucks each?

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    Athenor wrote: »

Kinda looks like there are ones with 2 as well. Maybe you can field 1 for each pip?

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018

Kinda looks like there are ones with 2 as well. Maybe you can field 1 for each pip?

That's my assumption. The names are still generic, but it makes sense for one of the defining characteristics to be "programmed" droids.
    Ianator wrote: »
    Wee, Vulture droids!

...Wait, twenty bucks each?

They bumped up the price of the figs with 2nd edition across the board. Baseline is $20, the larger blister pack that fits the Slave One or the Arc-170 is $30, and the large ship box we've seen so far (Millenium Falcon, squadron packs) is $40.

given the fact that the paint jobs and quality of the minis is increasing, as well as the overall inflation since the game launch, I can understand this. But it really sucks if you are looking to build any kind of swarm squad.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    oh lord is the vulture going to be cheaper to field than a tie fighter

that's a terrifying prospect

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular

That’s exactly how they work.

• Options
    edited November 2018
    Wait, in those spreads...

Are those a new obstacle type in the new faction starters?

Edit:

Droid starfighter config card can be made out, just barely. Basically - open the wings, walk across a rock, do 90 degree turns on a rock, etc. etc... for some interesting mobility options.

Polaritie on
  • Options
    One of the configs for the jedi starfighter gives it +1 attack -1 agility and +2 shields. One of the "obstacle" looking things looks like it might be the trash Obi-Wan jettisons to escape Jango.

There's some kind of new token in the ARC pack.

Looks like there's some sort of buzz Droid thing?

• Options
    Some actions are purple too. Probably will have to spend a force token to use them? Did we already point that out?

• Options
    Vermeil, Iden, Seyn, Del, Howl is doing good for me. That block of four TIEs is brutal while Vermeil brings support crew.... and honestly could be replaced probably? But meh.

• Options
    I'm playing some games tonight!

I have an XXY list ready to go, but stuck trying to think of Imp or Scum builds to run.

Glad Polaritie just posted an imp list, I'll look into something like that.

Anyone else got any imp or scum lists they're looking at? I'd also welcome suggestions on ships to run and go from there.

• Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Boba plus two Fangs is pretty fun

• Options
    SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    I'm alive!

Crimsoncoyote kicked my ass.

• Options
    Sokpuppet wrote: »
    I'm alive!

Crimsoncoyote kicked my ass.

Good game sir!

I ended up running two fangs (fearless fenn+I1 generic), trickshot Han with Qi'ra, and L3 in the escape shuttle.

Pics to come soon!

• Options
  • Options
    edited November 2018

A-Wings could theoretically always rotate their guns around to shoot behind (or up/down but that doesn't really matter in this game). What's more interesting is "releases along side two other Resistance expansions in the fourth quarter of 2018." Resistance X-Wing annnnnd...? I don't think the conversion kit counts.

I bet it's that dumb bomber. The Resistance falcon would make me too happy so they won't do it.

ChaosHat on
  • Options
    Yeah, they point out they could rotate in the article, but it was never reliable

• Options
    Even better, it's a locked forward/back rotation that you really can't do on a whim.

Hey, everyone remember SirWilli's Microhangers and Gear Boxes?

Want to help him get them ready for 2.0?
    Wow, just checked my FB page, over 600 subscribers! I'm flattered... Thank you!

Unfortunately I still hadn't any chance to continue with something new (my focus at the moment lies only on X-wing, until I've been able to catch up), but since someone on the FFG forum asked if there was any way to help, now there is:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1JnaoOvMCYFZCctxGn32qcQ-9uKhik8a_qjoZWtFHA1c/edit?fbclid=IwAR0q5f7FSakTxmopBmLzUCyUAW3KXzWnvYs_Sq29U08OkAHzYOzzMqFbJ7A#gid=715241759

The new GearBoxes involve some time consuming excel work, since all the new pilot names and ini values have to be entered with simultaneous consideration of the amount and size of ship tokens. If anybody out there is willing to help, feel free to take a look at this online excel sheet, where everybody with a few minutes time can fill the blue "DUMMY" cells with some life...

• Options
    So there are definitely more ships in wave 2. I looked on the FFG webpage and the first items in wave 2 are the conversion kits. Fang Fighter is SWZ17, and the conversion kits are SWZ18, and SWZ19. 20 and 21 are the Resistance/FO dial upgrades. 22 is the A-Wing, 23 is the Mining Guild TIE, but 24 is nothing as far as I can tell. 25 is the T70 followed by the TIE FO at 26, but 27 and 28 don't exist. So there are three unaccounted for product numbers. Minimum at least one of them is a First Order ship, it's hard to suss out since the A-Wing and T-70 are non consecutive numbers. I would hope the other two product numbers are Rebel and Imperial, but I could very easily just see it being medium or large based ships for FO/Resistance. After all, they'd be the only faction released without differently sized options.

The stuff that is spoiled in wave 3 goes numerically without gaps so either that's actually all for it or they got smarter about not skipping numbers. If we've actually seen everything in wave 3, I'm going to guess a missing product is a Rebel one to offset the TIE Striker in wave 3 so they will have the same number of ships available after wave 3. My other thought is that maybe the ARC-170 comes with Rebel AND Clone Wars cards which would be very consumer friendly of FFG.

• Options
    SvenskaSvenska Registered User regular
    If I wanted to start playing this, what all would I need to buy to be able to fly a beginner friendly imperial list? I'd like to keep the number of ships low(ish) if possible.

Since your name means "swedish" in swedish, I just assumed you were, ya know, swedish.

eNozN1RVNTYwUDVRNVUzUjOsMVQzRCON1UyApAmYbQZRYwaRBlOqZSYA7ZUOyQ==
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Svenska wrote: »
    If I wanted to start playing this, what all would I need to buy to be able to fly a beginner friendly imperial list? I'd like to keep the number of ships low(ish) if possible.

Buy the starter set, which comes with 2 TIE Fighters and 1 X-Wing in addition to all the components for playing the game.

From there... Get a TIE Advanced to try out a slightly different ship. 3 ships will be plenty for learning with.

• Options
    Id like to jump into regular games, since I'm only new to xwing, not gaming in general.

I like the look of the Advanced, what else should I add to that to get to 200?

Since your name means "swedish" in swedish, I just assumed you were, ya know, swedish.

• Options
    A standalone TIE fighter would be good as well. There's... not much out for Imperials at the moment. Only wave 1 of second edition has released so far. Next thing that's up is the TIE Striker, though you could get a TIE Reaper, as it includes both 1.0 and 2e components.

Your only other options would be to dig into 1.0 stuff and buy a conversion kit, but I can't recommend that in good conscience to a new player.

• Options
    Kk, sounds good. I guess I'll head out to snag a starter, and go from there.

• Options
    edited November 2018
    crimsoncoyote on
  • Options
    Unless theres a surprise rerelease pack, yeah.

• Options
    I'm still maintaining there are three ships not yet revealed.

• Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    Guys I'm packing for PAX Unplugged as we speak, and I haven't played 2E yet. I've got all the tokens and figures though. Can someone give me three sample lists for Rebels, Empire, and Scum? I like X-Wings and Tie Fighters, and a bit of variety is nice, but I'm mostly just needing something to bring to play casually (and easy to pack).

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    Six TIE aces will eat stuff alive and is like one total upgrade (marksmanship for Seyn).

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Guys I'm packing for PAX Unplugged as we speak, and I haven't played 2E yet. I've got all the tokens and figures though. Can someone give me three sample lists for Rebels, Empire, and Scum? I like X-Wings and Tie Fighters, and a bit of variety is nice, but I'm mostly just needing something to bring to play casually (and easy to pack).

Okay, for this, I recommend using the quick-build rules and printing out a Rebel, Imp, and Scum handout that has the ships' stats and abilities rather than trying to bring all the upgrade cards (unless you're playing somewhere "for real" and actually need them, in which case bring them, too).
    • Rebels (Threat 8)
      • Luke Skywalker (Threat 3)
        • Instinctive Aim
        • R2-D2 (Astromech)
        • Servomotor S-Foils
        • Proton Torpedoes
      • Wedge Antilles (Threat 3)
        • Outmaneuver
        • R4 Astromech
        • Proton Torpedoes
        • Servomotor S-Foils
        • Shield Upgrade
      • Gray Squadron Bomber (Threat 2)
        • Ion Cannon Turret
        • R5 Astromech
        • Proton Bombs
    • Imperials (Threat 8)
      • Darth Vader (Threat 4)
        • Supernatural Reflexes
        • Cluster Missiles
        • Afterburners
        • Fire-Control System
        • Shield Upgrade
      • Howlrunner (Threat 2)
        • Juke
        • Shield Upgrade
      • Night Beast (Threat 2)
        • Predator
        • Hull Upgrade
        • Shield Upgrade

Lemme think some more about Scum, since I don't play them as much ...

• Options
    I decided to upgrade to a checked-in luggage, so I'm bringing all the conversion kits along with a large assortment of ships. I really need a smaller solution for carrying this game around casually, when I don't want to bring my entire collection. Thanks for the lists Elvenshae. Keep 'em coming. And send me a PM if anyone's going to be at PAX and wants to play a few games.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    Holy smokes. Who knew that all of the L5R cards + all of the conversion kits weighed so much! And there's no room for my Kill Team. Compromises must be made... I guess I don't need fresh underwear every day. (joking)

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    In most tourneys you can't change decks around, so I usually only pack 1-2 decks. The only exception was Netrunner Worlds, where I knew some casual stuff was happening that I wanted to get in on.

BTW, FFG just updated the official points lists. No articles on what they changed or why, and they won't be legal for a couple weeks. But they can be found under the support section of the FFG website.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/x-wing-second-edition