As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Keyforge: The Age of Ascension is upon us!

BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
edited May 2019 in Critical Failures
OlYlT9N.png
In the beginning, there was no KeyForge. There were other card games, and they had Netdecking and Predictable Metas. They had countless options, but the "collective wisdom" of online whisperers saw those options reduced by to one-dozen or fewer. Players knew 90% of an opponent's card from the first card reveal.

And then there was KeyForge!

From the offical website: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/keyforge/
Enter a world where anything is possible in KeyForge! In the center of the universe hangs the Crucible, an artificial world built from the pieces of countless planets. Here, in the world’s first Unique Deck Game, created by legendary designer Richard Garfield, two players step into the roles of mighty Archons, racing to forge keys that unlock the Crucible’s hidden Vaults.

Leading their diverse teams, filled with followers from three of the Crucible’s great Houses, the Archons must gather Æmber, stave off their opponent’s progress, and ultimately be the first to open a Vault and gain its incredible knowledge. With a vast array of creatures, artifacts, and abilities and over 104 quadrillion possible decks, every deck is completely one-of-a-kind, and no two battles will ever be the same!

Keyforge is a Unique card game, meaning every deck is generated from an existing pool of cards with a unique card back which means no deck building. Each deck runs about 10 dollars american and contains 36 cards - with 12 cards from 3 out of the seven houses available. On your turn you can activate a house and play all the cards of that house from your hand, no mana curve to worry about. The winner is the first player to gather enough Amber and forge 3 keys.

The seven houses available are:
cLtLOsl.png

Check your local game store for prerelease events going on now, the official release date is November 15th. With a companion app/website planned to launch at the same time to help track your decks and find events near you.

IOoC7Qw.png

Bedlam on

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    While I didn't win either of the two games at my pre-release today, they *were* incredibly close.

Almost pulled out a win on the second one but the opponent was able to, via shenanigans, get enough aember to pull off a Key Charge to get their third key.

I really do like the name of the second deck I got there, "The Intensely Staunch Pirate of Bishopford."

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I am Thorgal J Bumbylewyrm, the Sixth. Brobnar, Shadows and Untamed.

The Brobnar in it can cheat out a lot of non Brobnar activity.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    I got Helqueen, the "Warlock" of Notes: Logos - Dis - Sanctum

Only got one game in which I lost. I had an early lead and plenty of removal but my opponent had graveyard recursion and all 4 horsemen. Eventually he just snowballed and got the Amber he needed while I struggled to maintain a board presence.

Wanted to do another but it was an hour drive home and I needed dinner as well, but I had fun and I'll definitely get a Core Set as soon as I can. (they only had two cores available for sale).

My biggest gripe is that the box they come in kind of sucks for actually storing cards. I dont think Ive ever had to buy a box for magic but I'll have to pick up some deck boxes for keyforge :|

Bedlam on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I want to understand this thread because I'm a card game addict but I'm missing something.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    I want to understand this thread because I'm a card game addict but I'm missing something.
    Heres a youtube video of Richard Garfield demoing the game at Gencon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7qt2H9Im2Q

And heres a "How to play" video that was posted in the board game thread and I have not watched yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUJTn35nCMA

Its pretty unique and not at all a magic clone like other card games tend to be. It was designed with the intent that you never build a deck, and intended by the designer to be more like a procedurally generated video game where discovering what your deck can do is half the fun.

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Storage tip: if you cut the hanger off and flip the hinge with the two prongs around inside, you're left with a terrible tuckbox. I kinda hope that the next waves of decks come in an actual resealable tuckbox containing a sticker for the box spine, or a little window the Archon card can peak through, or some way to tell them apart other than writing on the box with a sharpie.

(I know, I know, you can just put them in a transparent deck box. I'm assuming that not every deck will be worthy of sleeve/box treatment? Maybe the power level is more even than I think it is.)

Frem on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    My first deck is "Threewalker, Spawn of Chronodoor"!

It's a Shadows/Mars/Brobnar deck that seems quite swingy. I have a ton of heavy hitters, but shadow does direct damage, stealing, and other nifty things while Mars just.. builds up if I can spare the turns. I would share the deck list, but I'm not sure if that is a good idea.. like if the QR code can be registered to your keyforge account or something.

My favorite card, hands down, is Yo Mama Mastery. It's just... everything about it is great.

I am kind of confused how to use one card, though. I got a rare card in shadow called "Selwyn the Fence." Its a 3 power, ~ shield elf thief. Its ability is "Fight/Reap: Move 1 Aember from one of your cards to your pool." Except, NONE of my cards have capture or anything that synergizes with that. I guess I do have one card that can use my opponent's artifact as if it were mine... But I dunno. Seems like a target more than anything.

Anyways. I posted this to our store's FB group after the pre-launch event:

Any time I learn a new game, I like to go back and see what rules I messed up, or told people about wrong. Here's the notable ones I've found so far for my games and teaching today:

1) You only shed chains when you draw to refill your hand. So if you have more cards than your draw limit, you don't shed chains.

2) You collect Æmber from a card FIRST, before any of its effects are triggered. (this mattered for a card that stole Æmber).

3) You retrieve your archive after you choose a house. Not a huge deal as you can look at your archive anytime, but still notable.

4) Your character needs to survive a fight in order to trigger its "Fight" ability.

5) The active player chooses if Assault or Before Fight traits trigger first.

6) Technically, the archives are a facedown area in front of your archon card, and the purge area is a facedown area under your archon card. I was telling people the archives were under the archon card.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    I hate the dumb stupid ugly dumb martians

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    I like how mill decks and mana screw are impossible. :D

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    I'm hoping to try this at Unplugged. I originally bought Epic (the card game) as a hopeful replacement for Magic, where I would enjoy the game and not want to buy new cards or need to build decks.
    Buying one deck for $10 or less sounds good. However, if it means then buying more and more decks then that doesn't sound good. Really warning up to the concept though.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    The one game I played tonight at one point I was literally down 2 full keys, they had 2 and I had none, and I managed to swing all the way back to victory

my deck is Brobnar/Dis/Mars, the three factions I was least interested in, but it turns out that shit works together real well

I have 3 rares in here, one of which is the Banner of Battle, a Brobnar artifact that increases EVERY friendly creature's power by 1

and considering I had anywhere from 4-9 creatures on the field for the majority of the game...stuff got crazy

I love this game

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular

Much as I know it’s fools errand to wishlist a blind random distribution system, Mars is the house I’m really hoping for! I love the look of those goofy cartoony guys.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    I'm going to 2 prereleases this weekend

I got the pin I was really after, Logos, and I can't decide what I should grab as my second one

I can't get Mars because I will just look like a conspiracy theorist if i walk around with a lil green guy on my stuff

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    BigPointyTeethBigPointyTeeth run away! run away! MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    My deck is Brobnar/Sanctum/Untamed, and by the second game, I found some neat combos in there.

I had to wrap my mind around the fact that you don't always need to be fighting. By the second game, I was only doing so in service of gaining more amber, or denying amber, or getting rid of specific enemies. Basically, fighting was a means to an end.

In our two games, I went through my entire deck both games, while my friend had a lot of cards that let him pull cards back into his hand from discard or archive cards. For a while, I thought he had multiple copies of a creature, but it turned out I had to kill the same one three times before it was finally gone.

I picked up a second deck, and got the exact same houses, but looking through the cards, it plays way different than my first one.

Anyway, as someone who wanted to like Magic and the various LCGs, but just couldn't quite click, I really enjoyed Keyforge and am planning on going to some of the tournaments at my FLGS.

• Options
    edited November 2018
    "Okay, you're all signed up. Would you like to buy tokens for the tournament?"
    "Wait, this is Bring Your Own Tokens?"
    "Yes, it is."
    "I will be riiiight back D: "
    *Runs to the car to get the Iron Clays*

Thanks for the excuse!

If the app ever lets us barcode our decks into online play, I would buy far more packs.

Cantido on
  • Options
    Yeah I didn't realize it was gonna be bring your own stuff, thankfully enough other people did

also I don't know how much I'm even going to be using the official stuff?

I'll use the amber and maybe the damage, but it feels like this game needs better and more kinds

the stun and power-up cards take up way too much space, those should just be lil tokens, and the armor system is too fiddly to NOT have tokens for it

Fortunately just grabbing some Destiny shield tokens works a-okay

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    I'm on the camp that is really cherishing Garfield's efforts to purge the tryhard-ness out of card games. I don't want to collect. I don't want to deck build, and I don't want to netdeck. I espcially don't want the majority of the game to be spent huddled on the floor, sleeving and organzing cards by House and type and plucking what I need every time I want to make a deck. The most I will do is buy packs for the purpose of deck variety. Especially when digital card games make this so easy.

That is a hill I will die on.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Yeah I didn't realize it was gonna be bring your own stuff, thankfully enough other people did

also I don't know how much I'm even going to be using the official stuff?

I'll use the amber and maybe the damage, but it feels like this game needs better and more kinds

the stun and power-up cards take up way too much space, those should just be lil tokens, and the armor system is too fiddly to NOT have tokens for it

Fortunately just grabbing some Destiny shield tokens works a-okay

I'm gonna shout out Burger Tokens here. Although I wish he could do larger key tokens, having all the other things like health and amber as little pennies is great.

I really need to reach out to the guy and see if he's reached the point where my store can just carry them.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    Nowhere near me is doing prerelase events. I'm sad. I do have the core box and 2 more decks pre-ordered, so... I'm excited!

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    The decks don't come with any tokens? Or was this just a prerelease thing?

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    The decks don't come with any tokens? Or was this just a prerelease thing?

The core set comes with the tokens, the prerelease events just let people get a single deck and some stores were provided with a single core to pull some tokens from so people can play, but most people had to bring their own proxy tokens

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Unfortunately Archon decks dont come with anything but the deck itself.

The core set does have 4 decks for $40 so you are essentially getting the tokens for free. You get two non unique decks for teaching and two unique Archon decks. I imagine that teaching the game will be easier with the core decks.

The store I went to was like: "here grab a handful of dice" and we figured it out. Everything was pretty chill.

Bedlam on
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    I’m just using the tokens from a Star Wars Destiny core set right now. You’ll need tokens to represent damage, aember, +1 power, and stun. We only used a couple of power and stun tokens in the games I played.

Oh, and six tokens to represent forged keys, I guess. I was just pulling random large die from my D&D dice bag and declaring them keys. :-P

Frem on
  • Options
    "Call of the Archons" is a lame subtitle and I kind of wish it didn't even have one

but I'm guessing the way they release new stuff is by having new sets be called "Keyforge: blank blank blank made up lore?" I dunno, I'm very curious what the plan for additional content will be

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    For some reason, despite all logic, I find myself wondering about picking up a couple of decks

The art and graphic design are some of the worst I've come across in any game. It must be deliberate but I can't figure out why

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    man I had SUCH a good time playing this for like 4 hours today

I played 3 games and won 2 of them! I never win card games!

Both times I've won with my Brobnar/Dis/Mars deck, I get an extremely come-from-behind victory, literally down 2 whole keys and I'm able to get huge amber gains and delay them long enough that I can catch up

The Martian spider card the one game I lost had thirty amber sitting on it

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    For some reason, despite all logic, I find myself wondering about picking up a couple of decks

The art and graphic design are some of the worst I've come across in any game. It must be deliberate but I can't figure out why

It's goofy bright Saturday morning cartoon fun. I love it. Fits with the whole ethos of the game which is more about experimental wacky enjoyment than super serious competition.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    I've been browsing Archon names on Reddit. There is some gold in that random generation.

hjrm9sj5nsx11.jpg

e2fym2kxhux11.jpg

wxpwbox6xjx11.jpg

uyyhy5qqqsx11.jpg

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    LindLind Registered User regular
    Those are so great. Sadly with my luck I’ll end up with the most genereric of all possible names

• Options
    my two archons are "Branwen G. Fabricrucian, the Fourth," which is plain but effective, and "Bleys, the Lieutenant of Hornmuchty," which I don't even know what that means

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    When I die I want, "The boy who headbutts heaven" on my tombstone.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Oh my!

94w8n9vpcjx11.jpg

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    The boy who basically headbutts heaven is so good

• Options
    I don't have any Shadows or Sanctum decks yet and I can't wait til I do

Shadows seems like entirely my shit, and while I think Sanctum is currently easily my least favorite house to play AGAINST (armor is a nightmare thing), boy do I want a Horsemen deck pretty bad

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    I suddenly feel very sad that I won't get those decks myself.

• Options
    Bait & Switch seems like it might be this game's Scorched Earth

For those who don't know, Scorched Earth was a Netrunner card that would do 4 damage to a runner player if you had placed a tag on them, and since your maximum starting hand size is 5, it was very easy to win with if the runner had any less than 4 cards, so before the card was banned, runners going against decks that had it pretty much had to always keep at least 4 cards in hand and remove tags as soon as possible

so whenever people play against a Shadows deck that has Bait & Switch in it, it seems like you never want to go above 7 amber, and never take enough of theirs that Bait & Switch would be useful

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    You know those four horsemen cards? If you get one you always get all four.

kf01_cardfan_a16-4-horsemen.png

I've seen a few decks with two of each horseman, and internet scuttlebutt says a triple horsemen deck exists.

Given the ability of Death that's... more than a little crazy! Get a Death loop going and you're going to steamroll in short order.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    You guys are making me very excited to check this out

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Bait & Switch seems like it might be this game's Scorched Earth

For those who don't know, Scorched Earth was a Netrunner card that would do 4 damage to a runner player if you had placed a tag on them, and since your maximum starting hand size is 5, it was very easy to win with if the runner had any less than 4 cards, so before the card was banned, runners going against decks that had it pretty much had to always keep at least 4 cards in hand and remove tags as soon as possible

so whenever people play against a Shadows deck that has Bait & Switch in it, it seems like you never want to go above 7 amber, and never take enough of theirs that Bait & Switch would be useful

Scorch was never technically banned; it was just "rotated" when they replaced the core set.

And by that point they had created a card that dealt 7 damage so...

• Options
    That Wang deck seems like it would get banned.

Also I have some steal Amber in my deck, but ended up discarding them because my opponent was slow to start and then snowballed later. I think knowing what to keep and what to pitch will be a big learning curve.

And there were at least two horseman decks at my event so they cant be that rare. Can confirm death is bullshit.