As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[BATTLETECH/MechWarrior] Thread Bombed From Orbit [Closed]

• FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    It also makes sense to mount the headlights low considering that to find enemy mechs it has a much more advanced sensor-suite. However, to find enemy infantry and obstacles...

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Low in this case is relative, that light on the knee is still 10 feet in the air.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Considering that tripping and falling in a mech would hopefully only result in a concussion, yeah, I'd want lights down where there can actually illuminate obstacles and not up where they make an easy target out of my precious brainmeats.

• FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Of course leglights would require some kind of stabilization mechanism to work properly. Not like the one true choice for mech connoisseurs, the crotchlight. 800,00 Lumens of blinding groin glory.

Fiendishrabbit on
    "The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Of course leglights would require some kind of stabilization mechanism to work properly. Not like the one true choice for mech connoisseurs, the crotchlight. 800,00 Lumens of blinding groin glory.

Sorry, I can't hear how wrong you are over the sound of the correct true choice of mech groin options:

RUX2vtQ.gif

• McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    80s-robot-fist-bump-thumbs-up-bros-1366585357k.gif

website_header.jpg
  • NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    That's...quite the hardpoint.

Nips on
    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Redspo0nRedspo0n Registered User regular
    Purple laser!?

"Hey, want a Skull Servent? He's Evil."
    XFIRE:redspo0n (Yep, Zero in there) XBL: Pinkspo0n
  • ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Redspo0n wrote: »
    Purple laser!?

There's a graphics mod that turns large lasers (I think it's large) purple. As far as I understand, though, it's strictly client-side and you won't see it if you don't run the mod.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    McGibs wrote: »
    80s-robot-fist-bump-thumbs-up-bros-1366585357k.gif

I used to say, "Crash and burn" over all comms before every battle. It took a long time before anybody knew what I was talking about.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Spent quite a bit of time working practicing with my WHM-6D since it has the worst W/L average (but oddly best K/D)

The TL;DR is that I'm living a lot longer, and therefore contributing a lot more. Even on losses the worst I got last night was the "=".

The problem is the losses are still coming, and it's mostly on objectives where a light fast mech ran around grabbing all the points in Conquest (or our base in Assault) and our own lights were long dead. Or Skirmish where our Assaults tried to take on the whole enemy team in a open field (except a massive building which happened to protect the enemy team's flank), so they were getting shredded leaving the rest of us to get steamrolled.

edited November 2018
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    Purple laser!?

There's a graphics mod that turns large lasers (I think it's large) purple. As far as I understand, though, it's strictly client-side and you won't see it if you don't run the mod.

I'm unsure of where to go with this: A, thats awesome - B, if you werent onboard already, it was a continued Jox refference, but I realized it was the green lasers that were the secret weapon.

I also need Mecha-Q to video-diary console cause reading is over-rated.

Redspo0n on
  • ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Purple laser!?

I'm unsure of where to go with this: A, thats awesome - B, if you werent onboard already, it was a continued Jox refference.

I also need Mecha-Q to video-diary console cause reading is over-rated.

I remember I watched that movie way back when (VHS rental). It kinda didn't stick.

I hang my mech-jockey head in shame.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    What's multiplayer and skirmish like in battletech? Is it basically the tabletop game?

• chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    Purple laser!?

It changes the colors of the heavy lasers. Large becomes purple, medium becomes teal, and small becomes kinda orangish. I run it mostly because it looks cool.

steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • nonoffensivenonoffensive Registered User regular
    Campaign feels. I leave the battlefield when Darius drags me off of it.

2lqxna.jpg

Campaign feels. I leave the battlefield when Darius drags me off of it.

2lqxna.jpg

Kill 'em all and let Kerensky sort 'em out... After I get my salvage.

• Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    7qHF6UG.jpg

I AM A GOLDEN GOD

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Going to submit a website UI redesign proposal to PGI that's just me howling unintelligibly for 45 minutes.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Going to submit a website UI redesign proposal to PGI that's just me howling unintelligibly for 45 minutes.

That would be quite the upgrade

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Man I'm on the second story mission, think it's the second, when "shit get's real" according to characters. Breaking a prison out or something. I keep getting destroyed early on. I move forward, take out the first two turret generators and then proceed forward to the next 4. As I'm in the process of taking them out as priorities, every time in the 3 times I play it, one of the turrets + tanks just destroys one of my mechs. From no hits to CT destroyed. Maybe it's just avoiding the turrets on the right side, but I'm not advancing far, just getting in range for the turret generators, and every time without fail. When I'm down to just one left, one turret just goes and crits a mech blowing it up.

Is it bad luck or am I doing something wrong and missing something?

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »
    Man I'm on the second story mission, think it's the second, when "shit get's real" according to characters. Breaking a prison out or something. I keep getting destroyed early on. I move forward, take out the first two turret generators and then proceed forward to the next 4. As I'm in the process of taking them out as priorities, every time in the 3 times I play it, one of the turrets + tanks just destroys one of my mechs. From no hits to CT destroyed. Maybe it's just avoiding the turrets on the right side, but I'm not advancing far, just getting in range for the turret generators, and every time without fail. When I'm down to just one left, one turret just goes and crits a mech blowing it up.

Are you using Sensor Lock + indirect fire?

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Are you going right path or left path? I think left is probably a touch easier (after you go center to get those the first turret generator.) I think your best bet is to use cover, keep your mechs clustered, and try to have one enemy in view per turn so you can kill it and not take missile fire from out of sight enemies.

Are all of your mechs jump capable? This is a big mission for positioning.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    I'd go left and try to take out the turrets or the turret generators before moving anyone forward.

Alternatively I've had success rushing the generators and kicking them to death quickly but this can also trigger something which I won't say :)

edited November 2018
    RickRude wrote: »

What mechs are you using? Getting taken out in one attack sounds like a light mech. 4 mediums is recommended.

Also going directly for the 4 gens is a big gamble and can be a trap as it exposes you to fire from all 4 turrets and all 5 vehicles at once.

Having a couple mechs with jump jets is useful for spotting and evasion. I always go down the road on the right. The big hill blocks line of site for the left turrets and vehicles. The two vehicles on the right will come up the road to you, so stay back and let them. If you take them out before phase 1, the turrets won't be able to use their large lasers and AC2's to hit you from beyond visual range. Once they're dead, end the turn out of range, then move up and attack the two turrets directly. Turrets always go last, and both are light so you should be able to take them both out without them ever firing a shot. Move into the forest for cover as you move left to engage the remaining vehicles. Once you have LOS on the left two of the 4 generators, feel free to take them out. You'd be exposed to return fire for unnecessary turns trying to move far enough to engage the turrets directly. Don't waste ammo on the other 2 generators as you've already destroyed the turrets. Focus fire as much as possible to take things out quickly. You'll want to be healthy as possible for the next section.

SiliconStew on
    One other thought based on your comment, if any of your mechs have ammo in the center torso, move it out of there immediatley. Risk of CT ammo explosion completely destroying the mech is too high.

• DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    I want Flashpoints to hurry up and get here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gt4_rDJaMBQ&t=219s

3basnids3lf9.jpg

Didja see how tall the Vapor Eagle is?
    I can't imbed from my phone properly, but PGI posted scale pics and it's shoulder high to an Atlas.

Gonna cross my fingers that means high hardpoints, on a tall frame = lots of weapons on target easily

• NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    It turns out the secret tech I was missing on my DRG-5N was unlocking arms in settings. Had a much better run on it this time.

• BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    I can't imbed from my phone properly, but PGI posted scale pics and it's shoulder high to an Atlas.

Gonna cross my fingers that means high hardpoints, on a tall frame = lots of weapons on target easily

Here you go.
    becc63e0e883209b410ff59f21f3de82.jpg
    d8f0bbefb85ac9b768f41ed015571031.jpg
    fadb5cca787000704788a3841d53dd38.jpg

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • monkeykinsmonkeykins Registered User regular
    Still having fun with MWO. "Joined" Clan Ghost Bear ('cause MW2) whatever that means. The real-money pricing in this game is a joke, right? For the price of a full retail game you can get a whopping 4 mechs!

Betsuni wrote: »

Here you go.
    becc63e0e883209b410ff59f21f3de82.jpg
    d8f0bbefb85ac9b768f41ed015571031.jpg
    fadb5cca787000704788a3841d53dd38.jpg

That actually looks a bit short for a 55 ton mech. A Cataphract is pretty short. Isn't the Shadowhawk one of the tallest IS mechs in the game?

• Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    monkeykins wrote: »
    Still having fun with MWO. "Joined" Clan Ghost Bear ('cause MW2) whatever that means. The real-money pricing in this game is a joke, right? For the price of a full retail game you can get a whopping 4 mechs!

Stuff is cheap on sale and theft at normal prices.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    That is such a sexy looking ride, but goddamn is that camo pattern an eyesore.

Like, Padre-levels of eyesore.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
    monkeykins wrote: »

There are lots of bad deals to choose from if you aren't patient. PGI still prices things like they are selling a $60 game. Wait a bit, sales are frequent and you should have a really good idea what mech you want before you start dropping MC on stuff.

Chances are you'll really only want to drive one Hero mech most of the time, and you can easily pick up a Hero for $20 or under, even assaults. Wait for a MC sale, sometimes I think it's 50% off. Then wait for a 50% off hero sale. Or buy Mechbays when they go on sale, or activate some premium time to start racking up CBills. Don't be in a rush to buy regular mechs, you'll get plenty of CBills playing the game and there's really no need to have the 30% hero bonus most of the time. If you aren't having enough fun to "grind" up to buy more mechs, it isn't worth spending real money on anyway.

Watching NGNGs preview stream, in-cockpit the Eagle is eye-to-eye with the atlas

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Huh, the head on that thing looks really Zentradi inspired. It almost looks like a Macross/Zentradi Frankenmech.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Macross in Mechwarrior? As if.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Apparently it's unseen but it's a bit of a weird one. From Sarna:
    These images by Victor Musical Industries, Inc. were created for BattleTech but were removed to prevent the possibility of future legal issues. Note that while the IIC images (with the exception of the Jenner IIC) are obviously inspired by images taken from SDF Macross, they were removed only because they were created by an "out-of-house" source

And from Wikipedia:
    JVC Kenwood Victor Entertainment Corporation, formerly Victor Entertainment, Inc. and Victor Music Industries, is a subsidiary of JVC Kenwood that produces and distributes music, movies and other entertainment products such as anime and television shows in Japan.

Further from Sarna:
    In the early 1990's, Victor Music Industries released Japanese ports of the original 1989 MechWarrior game for the Sharp X68000 computer, the NEC PC-9801 computer and the Super Famicom. Since these games were primarily using licensed designs from Japanese anime, they opted to commission new redesigns of all the venerable designs as they did not possess the licenses for the anime they'd come from (there have been several Macross games released for PC-9801 at the time of Mechwarrior's release, which could lead to potential confusion of the customers).

FASA would later make use of the art VMI created in America, with the BattleMech art for the X68000 port becoming the Clan IIC 'Mechs introduced in Technical Readout: 3055, the unused concept art from the game's production getting redrawn and introduced as the non-IIC Clan mechs in Technical Readout: 3055 and the new art developed for the Super Famicon game becoming the new 'Mechs introduced in the ComStar sourcebook. Despite being legitimately acquired, in the wake of the Unseen lawsuits FASA chose to treat all designs developed "out-of-house" as Unseen to try and avoid any future disputes. Ultimately all the affected 'Mechs would receive new Reseen art in Technical Readout: 3055 Upgrade.

Well that's fucking neat and a bit of BT/MW history I didn't know about. So, the Vapor Eagle is based on an anime mech but was given enough of a makeover to ensure it would be legally distinct.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
    edited November 2018
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    So, the Vapor Eagle is based on an anime mech but was given enough of a makeover to ensure it would be legally distinct.

I believe the Vapor Eagle was actually an original design by VMI. It only got tossed because they dumped ALL the VMI designs out of caution, not just VMI's redesigns of the earlier Macross/Dougram/Crusher Joe mechs.

SiliconStew on