As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The trial(s) of [Paul Manafort] - flippin' Friday

1192021222325»

• Options
    LabelLabel Registered User regular
    Manafort might also have seen the news a few weeks ago about the murder of notorious mob boss and FBI informant Whitey Bulger.
    https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/30/us/james-whitey-bulger-killed/index.html

As in, if I was Manafort and scared of mob efforts to "tie up loose ends," whether Putin's or otherwise, seeing that guy get murdered in prison might chill my spine.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Is it possible Manafort just agreed to cooperate as a stalling tactic, and never intended to be of any assistance? If he's looking at spending the rest of his life in prison, then every moment he can delay is a moment he doesn't have to face reality.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    My assumption is that Manafort is like everyone else in this administration, and thinking he’s smarter than he really is, is trying to give them the bare minimum and convince them that’s all there is (with Mueller et al. naturally already knowing more than he thinks they do).

• Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »
    Hey so, things are apparently not going well with Manafort. Via ABC news.
    Talks between Special Counsel Robert Mueller and former Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort have grown increasingly tense over Manafort’s apparent lack of cooperation with the investigation, according to multiple sources familiar with the matter.

Prosecutors from Mueller’s office have been asking Manafort about a wide range of topics in nearly a dozen meetings since Manafort agreed to cooperate in September, sources said, but the Mueller team is “not getting what they want,” said one source with knowledge of the discussions.

The consequences of failing to fully cooperate could be dire when it comes time for Manafort to be sentenced.
    It doesn't go into the nature of what isn't being given. Like it's not clear if Manafort oversold what he can offer, or if he's suddenly backing down from sharing what he promised. Either way he's completely fucked if he doesn't change his attitude.

Who's leaking this?

I can't see what the play for Manafort's people is here. Fishing for a pardon still?

"multiple sources familiar with the matter", apparently. Also: A spokesperson for the special counsel declined to comment. A spokesperson for Manafort declined to comment. Which does narrow down the choices.

That all means nothing.

Historically Mueller's people don't leak anything. So who else is leaking this?

Perhaps I'm acting in bad faith, but my first thought was Manafort's own team, fishing for a pardon as he valiantly resists giving up the goods. The 'giving Mueller what he wants" phrasing in particular seemed to be designed to cast doubt on Mueller.

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Is it possible Manafort just agreed to cooperate as a stalling tactic, and never intended to be of any assistance? If he's looking at spending the rest of his life in prison, then every moment he can delay is a moment he doesn't have to face reality.

Except he is already incarcerated pending sentencing.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Didn't he already give most of his testimony already?

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    Didn't he already give most of his testimony already?
    No, Manafort was to be on-call for all cooperation necessary in anything the Mueller team is pursuing. His plea deal specifically noted future needs from the Mueller investigation were to be met.