Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Bloodborne] "Behold! A Paleblood sky!"

1616263646567»

Posts

  • azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Klatu wrote: »
    Having to farm vials was what killed the game for me the first time as well. Gave it a few months and came back, worked out well. Then there was a few bosses that roadblocked me. Fun times. Don't let it frustrate you too much, but don't slam your head in to the wall for the sake of it, take a break if needs be :D

    Vials were never a problem for me past the first area. I would just make a habit every time i went to level up before i did something dangerous to spend all the 'left over' currency on buying blood vials, no matter if i needed them or not. it adds up very nicely sitting in the bank until i die and need them. once you get multiple levels and xp costs are very high you will have even more to spend on vials.

    Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
    LD50ReynoldsfurlionKlatu
  • KlatuKlatu Registered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »
    Klatu wrote: »
    Having to farm vials was what killed the game for me the first time as well. Gave it a few months and came back, worked out well. Then there was a few bosses that roadblocked me. Fun times. Don't let it frustrate you too much, but don't slam your head in to the wall for the sake of it, take a break if needs be :D

    Vials were never a problem for me past the first area. I would just make a habit every time i went to level up before i did something dangerous to spend all the 'left over' currency on buying blood vials, no matter if i needed them or not. it adds up very nicely sitting in the bank until i die and need them. once you get multiple levels and xp costs are very high you will have even more to spend on vials.

    As I said here though, this was the first time I played and took a break, the thought at the time of spending my excess souls on vials never occurred to me back then.

    Steam id:Klatu - PS id: Klatu_PA - 3DS FC: 0920-0528-6680
    Karoz
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    My 2c is that while the Blood Vial system is interesting, and the way that enemies drop vials can let you explore way longer, the Estus system from Dark Souls is ultimately better due to never leaving you without any resources after a loss to a boss. Maybe a combination of the two, where you have a certain stock on respawn, but you can spend resources to increase that respawn amount, and you can sometimes get recharges off of enemies, would be best?

    YggiDee wrote: »
    Having teenaged RPG leads is really cool until you stop being a teenager yourself. Do you remember being seventeen? You're a dumbass at seventeen! I wanna be saved by the guy who's twenty-seven. He's at least payed taxes. He knows how to do shit. He can drive.
    Kalnaur
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited October 31
    that last one is actually what nioh does, and it works pretty well

    i'm pretty neutral on blood vials. they're not so onerous now that you can stock up a lot of them (it was a nightmare at launch when storage capped at 99), but i also don't feel like they add much. you can go longer between lamps, it's not like a big deal, especially if they'd added resting at lamps to reset the stock and not required the loads to the dream and back. all three dark souls games had adequate healing systems that were less punishing to new players i think.

    Elendil on
    Qanamil
  • ReynoldsReynolds Raving Rabbit Registered User regular
    DS2 had a good idea with the Estus plus gems. They just messed up by starting you with only one Estus.

    Start you with 5 Estus equivalents that you can upgrade to 10/15/20 as you progress, but have vials/grass/gems you can farm or purchase, but give them a low cap on what you can hold at one time as well. Maybe it starts at 5 as well but never increases, so you don't just also farm up 20 for every run. Also encourages you to keep using them since you'll find more, keeping you topped up as you go.

    OGueI9Q.gif
  • KlatuKlatu Registered User regular
    edited October 31
    Reynolds wrote: »
    DS2 had a good idea with the Estus plus gems. They just messed up by starting you with only one Estus.

    Start you with 5 Estus equivalents that you can upgrade to 10/15/20 as you progress, but have vials/grass/gems you can farm or purchase, but give them a low cap on what you can hold at one time as well. Maybe it starts at 5 as well but never increases, so you don't just also farm up 20 for every run. Also encourages you to keep using them since you'll find more, keeping you topped up as you go.

    I could agree with that, but change it to 5 rather than 1. Otherwise you run the risk of having a similar issue to the special blood in Bloodborne. I've only ever used Iosefkas blood or prostitutes blood once and I was in an emergency, and I had to dive in to my inv to get it, because why waste an item slot on them?

    Besides, you already have 1 use heal items in souls games with the divine blessings?

    Klatu on
    Steam id:Klatu - PS id: Klatu_PA - 3DS FC: 0920-0528-6680
  • ReynoldsReynolds Raving Rabbit Registered User regular
    But I said 5...

    OGueI9Q.gif
    Klatu
  • KlatuKlatu Registered User regular
    Ignore me, I'm blind ..nothing to see here :D

    Steam id:Klatu - PS id: Klatu_PA - 3DS FC: 0920-0528-6680
  • NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    Playing DS3 made me wish lamps worked liked bonfires, instantly respawning the enemies is so much better than having to leave & return

    Battletag: Noggin#1936 || PSN: Noggin37 || Steam
    ReynoldsKlatuQanamil
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    I hate the Nightmare of Mensis. Nothing like fighting snake-infested wolves, in an area where stepping out from cover means constant damage, and having invasions enforced when I'm straight-up garbage at the PVP; never won a fight when invaded, ever.

    I'd go back to the DLC areas, but 3 too many deaths from nearly full health to his fastest-startup attack has put me off of that for a while.

    YggiDee wrote: »
    Having teenaged RPG leads is really cool until you stop being a teenager yourself. Do you remember being seventeen? You're a dumbass at seventeen! I wanna be saved by the guy who's twenty-seven. He's at least payed taxes. He knows how to do shit. He can drive.
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    I hate the Nightmare of Mensis. Nothing like fighting snake-infested wolves, in an area where stepping out from cover means constant damage, and having invasions enforced when I'm straight-up garbage at the PVP; never won a fight when invaded, ever.

    I'd go back to the DLC areas, but 3 too many deaths from nearly full health to his fastest-startup attack has put me off of that for a while.

    Just employ the classic Souls exploration strategy: run your ass off to the next bonfire and ignore everything else.

    I've actually never had had an issue with the Nightmare, simply because I just skip the part that's obnoxious.

  • knitdanknitdan Registered User regular
    Play offline, never get invaded

    Fuck Firearm Fetishism
    86 45
    ReynoldsKalnaurfurlion
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular


    More cut content datamined. Snek ball.

    PSN: Donnicton - Switch FC: SW-6944-1374-2020 - Wii/3DS FC: 1633-4230-5354 - Steam: Donnicton - BNet: Donnicton#11763
    Karoznever dieGolden YakNinja Snarl PKoopahTroopahfRAWRst
  • KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    Play offline, never get invaded

    Or at least until you kill the bell maiden.

    Reynolds
  • NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    Hello, thread. So as a Souls fan without a PS4, I kind of resigned myself to never playing Bloodborne. But then PSNow comes along and it actually works pretty well so I've been able to play it! I've been reading some spoiler things so I would know how to get to Cainhurst and such but mostly avoiding this thread, but I have a story I feel I need to share.
    ]One of the things I read about was how to be friends with Djura, which I wanted to do. So I fight Darkbeast Paarl and I had a lot of trouble with him, he keeps jumping around makes it hard and my main weapon is the Tontius which isn't effective against him, so I have to use an alternate. I spend probably 40 or so Blood vials to kill him, trying a couple different times until I level up, but I finally do it.
    So then I go through the back door, run around Old Yharnam getting chased by beasts to get to Djura. But I accidently miss going up his ladder and walk in front him so he starts shooting at me, and he accidentally hurt one of the beasts. Oh well, I find the ladder and go up thinking maybe we can still be friends, but he just shoots me with his shotgun and i let him kill me hoping I can try again and befriend him. So I go the same way, run from the beasts again and go up the ladder without getting shot at. I get to the top hoping he'll be friendly but instead of Djura I just see an item. I pick it up and it's the Poder Keg Hunters badge. He must have accidently jumped off the tower after killing me! I just wanted to be your friend Djura!
    Overall I'm really enjoying the game. As a souls fan who also likes Gothic and Cosmic Horror the game was pretty much made for me. PSNow has also worked surprisingly well, I have died due to lag sometimes but it is impressive that it can handle this.

    furlionEtiowsa
  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Neaden wrote: »
    Hello, thread. So as a Souls fan without a PS4, I kind of resigned myself to never playing Bloodborne. But then PSNow comes along and it actually works pretty well so I've been able to play it! I've been reading some spoiler things so I would know how to get to Cainhurst and such but mostly avoiding this thread, but I have a story I feel I need to share.
    ]One of the things I read about was how to be friends with Djura, which I wanted to do. So I fight Darkbeast Paarl and I had a lot of trouble with him, he keeps jumping around makes it hard and my main weapon is the Tontius which isn't effective against him, so I have to use an alternate. I spend probably 40 or so Blood vials to kill him, trying a couple different times until I level up, but I finally do it.
    So then I go through the back door, run around Old Yharnam getting chased by beasts to get to Djura. But I accidently miss going up his ladder and walk in front him so he starts shooting at me, and he accidentally hurt one of the beasts. Oh well, I find the ladder and go up thinking maybe we can still be friends, but he just shoots me with his shotgun and i let him kill me hoping I can try again and befriend him. So I go the same way, run from the beasts again and go up the ladder without getting shot at. I get to the top hoping he'll be friendly but instead of Djura I just see an item. I pick it up and it's the Poder Keg Hunters badge. He must have accidently jumped off the tower after killing me! I just wanted to be your friend Djura!
    Overall I'm really enjoying the game. As a souls fan who also likes Gothic and Cosmic Horror the game was pretty much made for me. PSNow has also worked surprisingly well, I have died due to lag sometimes but it is impressive that it can handle this.

    Dang.

    That's exactly how I killed him, except when I did it I meant for him to die.

  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited November 12
    Donnicton wrote: »


    More cut content datamined. Snek ball.

    Reviving deleted enemies is all fun and games until he accidentally activates the eldritch rituals buried in the code, putting the world at the mercy of Snek Ball.

    Ninja Snarl P on
    Karozfurlionnever dieKoopahTroopah
  • SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Picked this up again after getting to the last fight but not actually completing it. I started the DLC, didn't have much trouble against Maria, but Orphan? Oh boy, that was a pain, but once you get the hang of it, it actually becomes a pretty cool and intense fight.

    I'm currently trying to platinum the game, already got all DLC related trophies, right now I just need to beat the game again for the other ending, and finish 2 more Chalice dungeons.

    BTW, I love the dungeons, I have heard people dislike them but the whole setting, items and such, is incredibly sinister, I love it.

    baudattitudenever die
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Null Registered User regular
    The only issue with the chalice dungeons is there's too many "story" ones, to get to the point where you can farm for end game gems.

    B.net: Naphtali#1830 | Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | PSN: EI-Naphtali | Wish List
    Elendil
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    central pthumeru is a total waste of time and lower pthumeru could really stand to be a layer shorter

    all the depth four and five chalices are fine

    the option to skip to depth four would also have been appreciated

    SatsumomoNaphtaliQanamil
  • SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    True, I think I had to go through too many "basic" dungeons to get to the good parts now. Also, blood echoes for days.

  • baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    Picked this up again after getting to the last fight but not actually completing it. I started the DLC, didn't have much trouble against Maria, but Orphan? Oh boy, that was a pain, but once you get the hang of it, it actually becomes a pretty cool and intense fight.

    I'm currently trying to platinum the game, already got all DLC related trophies, right now I just need to beat the game again for the other ending, and finish 2 more Chalice dungeons.

    BTW, I love the dungeons, I have heard people dislike them but the whole setting, items and such, is incredibly sinister, I love it.

    I am really grateful for the trophy making me go in and try the dungeons out. I completely skipped them when I was just playing the game normally and I wound up loving them.

    Well... the ogre type enemies that kept one-shotting me. I could have lived without those. And maybe the red spiders.

    Also going through all of the Chalice dungeons before playing the DLC meant that I was ridiculously over level and one-shot Orphan of Kos without realizing he was supposed to be hard. :)

    sig.gif
    Satsumomo
  • President EvilPresident Evil Let's Rock Registered User regular
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    Picked this up again after getting to the last fight but not actually completing it. I started the DLC, didn't have much trouble against Maria, but Orphan? Oh boy, that was a pain, but once you get the hang of it, it actually becomes a pretty cool and intense fight.

    I'm currently trying to platinum the game, already got all DLC related trophies, right now I just need to beat the game again for the other ending, and finish 2 more Chalice dungeons.

    BTW, I love the dungeons, I have heard people dislike them but the whole setting, items and such, is incredibly sinister, I love it.

    Also going through all of the Chalice dungeons before playing the DLC meant that I was ridiculously over level and one-shot Orphan of Kos without realizing he was supposed to be hard. :)

    I was the opposite; dungeons were the last thing I did, which meant I was going through non-scaling areas at level 180 or so. It was a good time.

    baudattitudeKaroz
  • baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    Picked this up again after getting to the last fight but not actually completing it. I started the DLC, didn't have much trouble against Maria, but Orphan? Oh boy, that was a pain, but once you get the hang of it, it actually becomes a pretty cool and intense fight.

    I'm currently trying to platinum the game, already got all DLC related trophies, right now I just need to beat the game again for the other ending, and finish 2 more Chalice dungeons.

    BTW, I love the dungeons, I have heard people dislike them but the whole setting, items and such, is incredibly sinister, I love it.

    Also going through all of the Chalice dungeons before playing the DLC meant that I was ridiculously over level and one-shot Orphan of Kos without realizing he was supposed to be hard. :)

    I was the opposite; dungeons were the last thing I did, which meant I was going through non-scaling areas at level 180 or so. It was a good time.

    That might be the better order of things. I must have bounced off defiled amy a good twenty times before leaving and grinding HP until I could survive him landing a single hit. Even with that, he would occasionally kill me so fast that my bloodstain would be in the hallway before his room.

    sig.gif
  • President EvilPresident Evil Let's Rock Registered User regular
    I know some people play strictly offline, but some of my fondest memories of this game involve running a three-man train on every god-damn dungeon I remembered to queue up for.

  • President EvilPresident Evil Let's Rock Registered User regular
    edited November 26
    I’m suddenly reminded about the time I ran multiple levels with some guy who named his character Simon Belmont and used nothing but the threaded cane. :heartbeat:

    President Evil on
    Karoznever dieQanamil
  • KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Honestly playing through the first time offline was the right move IMO.

    There are people (like me) who just want to rush to the boss or show you every little thing that can ruin the sense of exploration and killing bosses on your own always feels rad.

  • ReynoldsReynolds Raving Rabbit Registered User regular
    I liked the design of the chalice dungeons more than most of the stuff in the main game. Although Cainhurst, late game stuff and the last 2/3 of the DLC wound up better. I just wish the dungeons were better integrated into the main game, I also started grinding through them a bit too late, making the first half way too easy. I loved the enemy variety, traps and general weirdness of them compared to the first 2/3 or so of the main game and DLC. The only bits I disliked were reused bosses and the cursed half HP dungeons. Those were bullshit.

    OGueI9Q.gif
  • McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    Karoz wrote: »
    Honestly playing through the first time offline was the right move IMO.

    There are people (like me) who just want to rush to the boss or show you every little thing that can ruin the sense of exploration and killing bosses on your own always feels rad.

    And people like me who are too cheap to have PS+.

    steam_sig.png
    Karoz
  • SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited November 26
    Yeah those dungeons were you have 3 summoners getting something like 18 red spiders chasing you around are really something.

    Edit:

    I think one of the best things about the dungeons is that they just make you better at the game. There's no memorization and there's some really difficult sections. I got tired of face planting against the Orphan so I went and did a bunch of dungeons (Which also helped me level up) but I got so much better at just reading what he was about to do and react accordingly.

    Satsumomo on
Sign In or Register to comment.