As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Diablo 3] old thread is old

• SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Flat damage or area damage, but yeah you're on the money

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Hey real quick!

I finally got a ring I've been needing for ages, Circle of Nailuj's Evol.

I need the cube power I currently have so I've got to wear this thing at the moment. However it doesn't have a socket.

I know there's a site that will let me put in my whole build and all the modifiers and everything but that's a lot of work (copying info over from console) just to answer this one question.

Should I replace:

65-134 damage
    chance to deal 17% area damage on hit
    456 intelligence
    30% critical hit damage

I'm thinking the critical hit damage is possibly the biggest thing there, although that depends on if it applies to all the pets too.

Maybe the 65-134 damage?

If the area damage can net you a socket, I think I'd go with that one personally.

I don't know if the consoles will let you do it, but with the PC version you can link to a character on Battle.net to share what you've built.
    Like this for my Witch Doctor: https://us.diablo3.com/en/profile/See317-1508/hero/6372685

• UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Nope, at least the Switch version has no connectivity with Battle.net at all.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    If I remember correctly, on rings Flat Damage isn't worth it unless the ring is Ancient. But this is in a case of an "ideally" rolled ring. Area Damage totally depends on your build: some builds love Area Damage, and some don't need it at all. Not sure about a skelly necro.

• ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Hey real quick!

I finally got a ring I've been needing for ages, Circle of Nailuj's Evol.

I need the cube power I currently have so I've got to wear this thing at the moment. However it doesn't have a socket.

I know there's a site that will let me put in my whole build and all the modifiers and everything but that's a lot of work (copying info over from console) just to answer this one question.

Should I replace:

65-134 damage
    chance to deal 17% area damage on hit
    456 intelligence
    30% critical hit damage

I'm thinking the critical hit damage is possibly the biggest thing there, although that depends on if it applies to all the pets too.

Maybe the 65-134 damage?

Personally, I always cube out area damage.

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    First time playing D3, quick question:
    DrrB3TAU4AA6Uhq.jpg:large

Are the weapon damage numbers based on the weapon itself (so arrows in the case of what I have equipped now)? If so, that probably means I want to use the dagger cuz I'll get faster CDs and I'm a wizard.

Zetx on
    76561197966849367.png
  • SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    All damage is based off a percentage of your weapon damage, so you'll want to use the best weapon you have at any given time, in this case, yeah go for it, the tiny bit of extra damage on the bow should be made up by the attack speed and cooldown on the dagger.

Realistically, just equip the highest level stuff you have until you hit 50+.

Snicketysnick on
    7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    Thanks! I got confused when I actually started shooting arrows after running out of mana. >_>

76561197966849367.png
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    attack speed is already factored into the "dmg" number at the top, the cooldown reduction is the only reason to use the dagger over the bow in this case.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    Yeah honestly I'd probably use the bow over the dagger. But I mean, you'll find a better weapon within minutes of playing at your stage of the game. Don't sweat it.

• KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    The description of the Exquisitness achievement states that you must "reforge a weapon property to a socket at the mystic". There are two problems with this:

1) There are two vendors who could reasonably be considered "mystic", one of whom has a (very expensive) option called Reforge Legendary.

2) What they actually require is called "enchanting", not "reforging".

I just spent hours doing sets of bounties to gather enough materials, to reforge a legendary item twice, to get two sets of stats, neither of which included a socket. What I was supposed to do, apparently, was buy a few cheap weapons from the blacksmith and have them enchanted for like 10,000g a pop until I got the option to add a socket.

Don't be like Kreutz, kids.

• fortyforty Registered User regular
    Ouch.

• BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Kreutz wrote: »
    The description of the Exquisitness achievement states that you must "reforge a weapon property to a socket at the mystic". There are two problems with this:

1) There are two vendors who could reasonably be considered "mystic", one of whom has a (very expensive) option called Reforge Legendary.

2) What they actually require is called "enchanting", not "reforging".

I just spent hours doing sets of bounties to gather enough materials, to reforge a legendary item twice, to get two sets of stats, neither of which included a socket. What I was supposed to do, apparently, was buy a few cheap weapons from the blacksmith and have them enchanted for like 10,000g a pop until I got the option to add a socket.

Don't be like Kreutz, kids.

Yes, but the bonus is that you "have" to play the game longer. WOO! So win-win!
    No, it's not and you should be ashamed. Just kidding.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
    However it is also part of the season journey to reforge a legendary once, so it wasn't that much of a waste!

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Thanks to advice from this thread, I mastered the Marauder dungeon yesterday (after a lucky Manticore drop. I probably could have done it without the Manticore, really). It's kind of ridiculous how much easier it was than the Unhallowed Essence dungeon.

edited November 2018
    I mastered the Rathma set dungeon on my first try. I expected to fail completely and just wanted to finish in general, in case that was all that was needed for the season journey (I don't think the wording said "master") but it just sort of happened. Raise 100 skeletal mages and accumulate 500 seconds of cooldown on army of the dead...I have no idea how I achieved the second. The dungeon felt too small and I felt like I didn't use it often enough that that would've happened, but it did. Maybe the requirements were relaxed in a recent patch or something?

Guides say you have to temper your DPS a bit so you can use army of the dead more times, so I guess that means I don't have good DPS. :P

Now mostly I've been working on leveling gems to augment my gear, not going crazy the first time around, just hitting reasonable levels like 60 just to get a good chunk of int on there. I was pissed earlier when I found out the random gem I decided to level was capped at only 50 (iceblink) so now I have to google that. I still put it on a piece though, better than nothing.

I'm looking at recommended builds for pushing endgame stuff and I don't know if I'm going to try that. For the gear I have it'd be the thing where you use the skeletal mage rune that summons one (or two with Evol ring) super powerful mages in exchange for ALL essence (when your essence is doubled from simulacrum). It works out to like +1800% damage but it sounds a lot more tricky to manage, having to actually think about when I summon, bounce up and down between max essence and none, use simulacrum and land of the dead...big change from what I'm used to. I dunno.

UncleSporky on
  • NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    With Rathma + Singularity mages it’s more important that you keep as many mages as you can, especially 4+ for the set bonus, and then you worry about casting ones with higher/max essence.

Hold down devour or make sure to hit it after casting mages. Another good time to cast with max essence is when there’s a big clump of enemies for bone spike- the bonus essence per enemy hit from Reilena’s Shadowhook can add up fast.

Battletag: Noggin#1936
    Noggin wrote: »
    With Rathma + Singularity mages it’s more important that you keep as many mages as you can, especially 4+ for the set bonus, and then you worry about casting ones with higher/max essence.

Hold down devour or make sure to hit it after casting mages. Another good time to cast with max essence is when there’s a big clump of enemies for bone spike- the bonus essence per enemy hit from Reilena’s Shadowhook can add up fast.

Oh can you just hold down the devour button? That's not too bad. Right now I'm using the aura form of it but if I can hold down a button it'll be identical to that.

I think so, I haven’t played on console but I read that the console version of the “autocast via numlock” trick was to set a skill to a trigger button and keep it held down.

Now mostly I've been working on leveling gems to augment my gear, not going crazy the first time around, just hitting reasonable levels like 60 just to get a good chunk of int on there. I was pissed earlier when I found out the random gem I decided to level was capped at only 50 (iceblink) so now I have to google that. I still put it on a piece though, better than nothing.
    Let me just give you a heads-up on augmenting items. This may be obvious to everyone, but it wasn't obvious to me, and maybe I can save you a moment of frustration: If you use the cube to augment an ancient with a legendary gem, and then augment the same ancient with a legendary gem again, the second augment won't add to the item, it will just replace the first augment.

So, if you augment an item with a level 60 gem, and then try to augment it with a level 65 gem, you will not have an item with [(level 60 augment) + (level 65 augment)], you will have an item with just [level 65 augment].

It make sense in hindsight, otherwise it would be very easy to just farm trivial low-level grifts and pump up your items by tiny increments (which, honestly... I would be fine with? If someone just wants to spend hours an hours doing low-level grifts, I really don't mind?), but I didn't realized that this is how it worked and I was a little annoyed the first time I tried it.

Delduwath wrote: »
    Let me just give you a heads-up on augmenting items. This may be obvious to everyone, but it wasn't obvious to me, and maybe I can save you a moment of frustration: If you use the cube to augment an ancient with a legendary gem, and then augment the same ancient with a legendary gem again, the second augment won't add to the item, it will just replace the first augment.

So, if you augment an item with a level 60 gem, and then try to augment it with a level 65 gem, you will not have an item with [(level 60 augment) + (level 65 augment)], you will have an item with just [level 65 augment].

It make sense in hindsight, otherwise it would be very easy to just farm trivial low-level grifts and pump up your items by tiny increments (which, honestly... I would be fine with? If someone just wants to spend hours an hours doing low-level grifts, I really don't mind?), but I didn't realized that this is how it worked and I was a little annoyed the first time I tried it.

Yep I know about this.

I am going to try to get a gem to 75 or 80 for my Witching Hour belt, since it's not a set item and could help with the challenge for level 45 greater rift with no set items on.

Also I watched season 2 of Castlevania on Netflix and now the enchantress reminds me of Sypha, although mostly in voice/role, she's nowhere near as sassy.

• WraithvergeWraithverge Registered User regular
    I think so, I haven’t played on console but I read that the console version of the “autocast via numlock” trick was to set a skill to a trigger button and keep it held down.

Can confirm. Hold it down, it's better than the Aura because you can heal (for survival) and it reaches off screen.

• DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Thanks to advice from this thread, I mastered the Marauder dungeon yesterday (after a lucky Manticore drop. I probably could have done it without the Manticore, really). It's kind of ridiculous how much easier it was than the Unhallowed Essence dungeon.

Glad to know I'm not the only one having trouble with the Unhallowed Essence set dungeon. That dungeon can go dunk itself.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
    I didn't even bother. You need to master a set dungeon, the Season Journey doesn't care which set, and the Marauder really is simple. The two goals are: Don't allow any enemies to reach melee range, and kill N enemies (90 I think?) while you have 3 turrets up. I had a Bombardier's Rucksack and took the Custom Engineering passive, so I was just spamming the turret button non-stop. Always had 3 turrets, so the first goal was easy.

The second goal basically just means "Don't over-eagerly Vault into a pack of enemies, and keep moving so the worms that pop out of the ground don't make you fail". I just didn't Vault unless I had to backtrack a cleared out passage, and I constantly watched the mini-map because the worms show up on it a few seconds before they pop out of the ground. Easy enough to note a new enemy suddenly popping up and just start moving.

Man, the speed with which D3 drains the Switch battery, and the degree to which it heats up, is a little disconcerting to me. I'm left wondering if I'm wearing down the hardware too much with all my demon-slaying.

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    Man, the speed with which D3 drains the Switch battery, and the degree to which it heats up, is a little disconcerting to me. I'm left wondering if I'm wearing down the hardware too much with all my demon-slaying.

That just adds to the authentic hell-fire experience.
    If your fingers aren't blistering from heat, are you really slaying demons in the bowels of hell?

Perhaps I should consider relocating to one of the ice-hells of myth.

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    They went with the PUBG sound design approach. The game where the sound of gunshots actually damages your hearing.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig

Can confirm. Hold it down, it's better than the Aura because you can heal (for survival) and it reaches off screen.

For some reason I have a really hard time holding it down and playing. Put it on a trigger even. It just feels wrong and weird and I was getting confused about what buttons to press constantly so I went back to the aura version. TBH at high level play I don't need the healing anyway because just about everything will one hit kill me. And I think you have to press it again every new floor, it just felt like it was acting weird in general, wasn't sure if it was working.

I'm doing the uber singularity mage thing now. It's very different, I am dying a lot because I'm not surrounded by 100% uptime minions but I do clear things pretty quickly. The necromancer bracers that make health globes give you resource is the last thing I need to complete the set but they have never dropped once. My cube powers are almost done, it's like one of 6 cubeable legendaries I have never seen ever. I am dumping every blood shard into bracers too.

• fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    The necromancer bracers that make health globes give you resource is the last thing I need to complete the set but they have never dropped once.
    Reaper's Wraps? Aren't those a blacksmith crafted item?

forty on
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    yeah you just need to kill malthael to get the pattern

WHAT

• DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    WHAT

Yeah...I've done this myself with items which drop from bounty caches only.

steam_sig.png
  • RussadRussad MARegistered User regular
    Last season I couldn't get Wisdom of Kalan to drop, but I had everything else for my build. I started gambling exclusively for it, and crafting rares to upgrade. I don't even know how many shards and death's breaths I used.

Crafting rings.

edited November 2018
    I love the bracers that spawn elite packs when I touch a pylon but those are actually starting to get more dangerous than they might be worth due to being right next to the monsters. With the health globe passive and Devour I get so many health globes, this will give me more essence than I know what to do with which is great.

UncleSporky on
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    yeah you just need to kill malthael to get the pattern

on torment 1 or higher

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • HexDexHexDex Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Well, I can't find a thread for Torchlight, so I'll mention it here.

Torchlight Frontier is having an Alpha this weekend. I got an invite in my email today.

I don't know if it is a good thing or a bad thing their alpha is going public this quickly.

I'll let you guys know Friday!

https://www.torchlightfrontiers.com/en/news-article/11013693

HexDex on
    If you are reading this add me.
    D3: HexDex#1281, PSN: DireOtter, Live: DireOtter

I loved Torchlight but I am suspicious of this because Runic died as a company...so what is this? Who is this? Shell of a couple people who now own the property trying to make a quick buck?

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I didn't even know a new Torchlight was happening. I loved the first two.

I only beat the first one once and bounced of the second for some reason I can't remember. I should probably give it another try.