As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Artifact] Call to Arms set released. Give mid or feed!

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    I guess they're not making an official deck sharing website, but are making it a little easier for anyone who is making one.

Also, I guess it'll be pretty easy to share decklists.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    That's smart. Reminds me of old NES passwords haha.

• Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    Official API support has me excited, I'll share more when I feel I have something interesting to show.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Q. Who can host a tournament? Who can join?
    Anyone can host a tournament! When you create a tournament, you can choose to invite individual friends or share an open public invitation. At launch, user-created tournaments don't support prizes or entry fees.

Q. What types of custom tournaments can I make?
    At launch, Swiss and single-elimination formats are supported in a huge variety of configurations. You can also choose what types of cards are allowed. For example, you can create a commons-only constructed tournament, or a tournament where all participants use the Call to Arms pre-constructed theme decks.

...I have a feeling we're going to be getting some mileage out of this.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    Game looks neato keen. Any word on a mobile version of it?

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Carnarvon wrote: »

They've said there will be a mobile version later. I don't think they've specified when.

• Options
    So it is exactly the Magic Online business model. Get fucking hype, man.

I've been wanting a version of Magic Online for years that doesn't have a shitty client.

• Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    Peewi wrote: »
    Carnarvon wrote: »

They've said there will be a mobile version later. I don't think they've specified when.

IIRC, all they have said was 2019.

• Options
    Preorder is up!

Tournament stream is up!

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Disappointed that there's no way to just, like....trade cards between players.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular

Valve needs its cut.

• Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    I think it looks extremely polished and well made but also kind of slow and boring.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    The broadcast today was awful in general. Was ok once they actually got into gameplay and the game client looks pretty cool and gameplay decent. But to much time at the start with them just sitting there talking about stuff that we had no context for.

I also have questions about the spectator mode they were showing us. The showed both players cards which I’m assuming the mode we get wouldn’t have except for replays or maybe available on delay?

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Garthor wrote: »

Valve needs its cut.

I mean, they're also selling the packs you're getting all the cards from

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Hex had a million fuck ups, but the fact that Hex died with as much of a wet fart as it did doesn't make me hopeful that the MtgO players are really looking to drop their money elsewhere.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    KetBra wrote: »
    Garthor wrote: »

Valve needs its cut.

I mean, they're also selling the packs you're getting all the cards from

valve needs its OTHER cut
    also there's a door fee

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    So you have to pay $1 every time you want to play Draft? And that's apparently the best mode in the game?

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    So you have to pay $1 every time you want to play Draft? And that's apparently the best mode in the game?

I don't know if they've said the exact pricing on how many tickets it'll take for a event yet. I assume that different formats of events will cost more tickets, and have better rewards. For instance, I assume that phantom drafts will be a lot cheaper since you don't keep the cards you draft, but there's still prizes at the end depending on how you do. And it was mentioned that you *can* get event tickets as rewards, so you might be able to go infinite.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »

I don't know if they've said the exact pricing on how many tickets it'll take for a event yet. I assume that different formats of events will cost more tickets, and have better rewards. For instance, I assume that phantom drafts will be a lot cheaper since you don't keep the cards you draft, but there's still prizes at the end depending on how you do. And it was mentioned that you *can* get event tickets as rewards, so you might be able to go infinite.

Well, it's $5 for 5 event tickets, so unless one of those takes less than 1 event ticket, it's at least $1 per go.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    d'oh

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    They updated the FAQ from that Twitter link.

You get 1 ticket back for getting at least 3 wins in an event out of five.

• Options
    Reading the updated FAQ, it's about what I expected. I'm actually surprised they put global matchmaking in there after they said they wouldn't.

I don't know what the community is complaining about, this business model is definitely cheaper than Hearthstone, it just requires an up front cost and doesn't allow you to "grind" for new cards without paying some money. When I say the community, I don't mean PA, discussion here has at least been reasonable. Other places on the internet have been a dumpster fire, though.

I think the psychological trick of "but it's FREEEE" is hiding the fact that they will probably spend less money on this game than on a free to play game, when it comes down to it. Free to play games suck tons more money out of your wallet than you think, because they're designed to use psychological tricks against you. This business model is being more honest about the whole thing, yet everyone is shitting on Valve for it. It's weird.

• Options
    I spent a shit lod of money on SolForge which was a free to play lane based strategic p2p card game developed/designed with richard Garfield and I don't regret any of it, even though the game is 'dead' now. But I was also able to play for free infinitely because I had good cards and skill and was in the game since the beginning.

I pre-ordered this, too. Pretty excited. It looks good and I hope it lives with the weight of valve behind it, unlike SolForge

• Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    Reading the updated FAQ, it's about what I expected. I'm actually surprised they put global matchmaking in there after they said they wouldn't.

I don't know what the community is complaining about, this business model is definitely cheaper than Hearthstone, it just requires an up front cost and doesn't allow you to "grind" for new cards without paying some money. When I say the community, I don't mean PA, discussion here has at least been reasonable. Other places on the internet have been a dumpster fire, though.

I think the psychological trick of "but it's FREEEE" is hiding the fact that they will probably spend less money on this game than on a free to play game, when it comes down to it. Free to play games suck tons more money out of your wallet than you think, because they're designed to use psychological tricks against you. This business model is being more honest about the whole thing, yet everyone is shitting on Valve for it. It's weird.

Cards packs were the original Loot Box.

• Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    What's the value in pre-ordering besides the headstart on being able to play around with it?

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options

i hesitate to say that this business model isn't using psychological tricks against you to suck out your wallet

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Hmm yeah that was probably incorrect wording. Suffice to say, I don't plan on buying packs straight out. Like any card game with a draft mode, if I want an individual card, I'll probably just buy the individual card. Most of my collection will probably come from drafting.

• Options
    Tcheldor wrote: »
    What's the value in pre-ordering besides the headstart on being able to play around with it?

What headstart?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    If you watch only one matchup from the beta tournament, I'd say this is the one to watch. Exciting all the way through.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XI_wWxcD9k

MMR for competitive modes are kinda dumb IMO. It's a system that sorta guarantees you can never go infinite despite your skill. As you must hit 60% win-rate every single time you start a new run or you will eventually run out of tickets and have to buy more tickets or sell of the rest of the prizes, which will give you less and less back over time as the market gets slowly flooded by others who do the same.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    That was an amazing series, I agree. It's the best example I've seen to date of the complexity of decisions that players can make during a match that changes how the rest of the match plays out.

• Options
    Excellent video from Kripp teaching us stuff that that they should done more of during the tourney over the weekend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDqPVSar8jU

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    So the NDA is over and I'm watching Kripp stream. Apparently you can open basic cards from packs, which is all kinds of question marks. Kripp got 7 Svens out of his 10 packs, but Sven is a part of the starter decks, so he has duplicates that are both literally useless and cannot be sold because they are equally useless to everyone else.

Yilias on
  • Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    Well, you kinda have to because of Draft. Otherwise Draft mode can never have Svens.

3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    Dracil wrote: »
    Well, you kinda have to because of Draft. Otherwise Draft mode can never have Svens.

You can just set it as eligible to be opened in draft boosters but not in non-draft boosters. One of the advantages of digital over physical games is the ability to set toggles like that. You're already getting passed fake boosters anyway.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    I was under the impression that Sven is not actually a Basic card, but a Common.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    Everybody gets the same starter decks which include cards like Sven, Ogre, and others. Heroes are 1 ofs in constructed so once you have a copy more are pointless.

• Options
    I think Valve messed up by marketing this game as a digital trading card game and then not allowing people to trade cards with each other. That seems like a pretty huge oversight.

The community seems pretty angry about the business model. I don't share their anger, but I understand it. Card games are pretty expensive. Artifact does look like it will be cheaper than Magic, which is what I was looking for.

I think it's really fascinating the social dynamics at play here. People think Valve are being a greedy corporation when it looks like this will be cheaper than most physical card games, which is the business model they're emulating. They aren't trying to capture Hearthstone players, I don't think. They're trying to attract disaffected physical card game players. But that's running up against people who have played digital F2P card games for years, and those people think Valve are trying to fleece them.

• Options
    Honestly, I could see Valve being a little gunshy about allowing trading after the whole skin gambling thing their other games had. I do hold out hope that it’ll be in there eventually.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    I actually think this will be more expensive in the long run than MTG Arena given there isn't any free to play. The upside is the whole Esports stuff with a chance to win real money from play. Athlough it sounds like MTG Arena will have that at some point soon as well.

steam_sig.png