As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Keyforge: The Age of Ascension is upon us!

• PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular

Oh hey, neat. Special holiday-themed KeyForge playmat sold through the website.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    So I picked up two decks over the weekend; one while I was at GameHoleCon (aka WorstNameCon), the other from my FLGS. That "Wang, the Suddenly Bruised" deck came from GHC, I met the guy who pulled it lol.

Anywho, my two decks are...

Student Vaultinghause
    Logos - Dis - Mars

I'm a big fan of Dis so I was happy to get it in one of my decks. It has two rare cards in Logos; Transposition Sandals and Spangler Box. The Sandals are an Upgrade that gives a creature "Action: Swap this creature with another friendly creature in the battleline. You may use that other creature this turn." Seems strong but I have yet to really experience it. The Spangler Box is an artifact that, when used, purges a creature in play and then the opponent gains control of the Box. If the Box is removed from play, all cards purged by it are returned to play. That seems pretty awesome if the opponent doesn't have Logos as a faction.

There's also a rare card in Dis; Hecatomb destroys each Dis creature and that creature's controller gets one Aether. Good for lategame swings perhaps? And then I have...

Sister Firarios Sanders
    Mars - Shadows - Sanctum

One of the rares is Mars' Phylyx the Disintegrator, who is a 1 power Elusive creature whose Action causes the opponent to lose 1 Aether per each other friendly Mars creature. The other rare is Sanctum's Oath of Poverty, which destroys each of my artifacts and gives me two Aether for each. The deck's artifacts are not spectacular, so that's a reasonable card but if drawn early it is super dead weight.

Gonna go play some games after work and get a feel for both of these decks. The second one is probably more powerful, it has a lot of healing and stealing/capturing in it. But the first looks more fun.

• ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    So are we calling it Ember, Amber, or attempting to type Æmber every time?

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Amber.

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I think it's on purpose so everyone is split on how to pronounce it

It was pretty much equal between "amber" and "ember" at the events I went to

6F32U1X.png
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    It's funny that Magic officially removed "Æ" from their design dictionary and shortly after Garfield designed a game with it baked into the core mechanics.

For some reason I keep on calling it Æther. I have no idea why.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    The official pronunciation is “amber;” used by FFG in their videos about the game. This is silly and wrong, which is apparently the point.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/9/21/the-long-and-winding-road/
    While we were at it, we struggled for a new name for the "amber" that had replaced the initial prototype's “gems.” We didn't want to use the name of any real-world element or compound, because we wanted to keep it sounding and feeling strange and mysterious. After discarding terms like "gemonite" and “quintessence," someone pitched “æmber.”

“Isn't that goofy?” someone said.

“That's what's brilliant about it. It's like something from a Saturday morning cartoon. It's perfect.”

Frem on
    A lot of things about this game’s aesthetic make a lot more sense once you hear them use the words “Saturday morning cartoon”

6F32U1X.png
  • MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Ok, quick question before I go Deck hunting at the local store. Is there a way to tell what a given deck’s name will be before you crack it open?

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • bobAkirafettbobAkirafett Registered User regular
    Matev wrote: »
    Ok, quick question before I go Deck hunting at the local store. Is there a way to tell what a given deck’s name will be before you crack it open?

If you didn't go on prerelease you might have to wait until the 15th, and you can't see the deck name outside the cardboard, but the actual deck is shrinkwrapped and I think you can see the name from there.

akirasig.jpg
    Theres no way to tell anything about a deck without ripping the cardboard seal.

• MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Well, that makes it harrowing.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I wish to play this now, please.

What is this I don't even.
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    I cannot wait to get a deck. I was going to hit up a pre-release but it didn't work out.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Entaru wrote: »
    I cannot wait to get a deck. I was going to hit up a pre-release but it didn't work out.

Yeah, I was busy

What is this I don't even.
    il_570xN.1721559241_lznc.jpg
    il_570xN.1702239313_95h3.jpg
    This is the deck/token box I just ordered off Etsy, it can hold 4 decks and sets of tokens, I think it'll work perfectly for me

6F32U1X.png
    Yodeling Rogue :bigfrown:

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    I'm hearing scary rumours of insufficient starter box stock being delivered to stores... I now have the fear for my order, especially as it is by mail.

Also:

q4u08z8btdoe.jpg

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    Ooh I got a shipping notice for my pre-order

• crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    I might run up to the ffg store during lunch Thursday and see if they have any cores available...

Article up talking about the Master Vault a little bit.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/11/13/the-master-vault-1/

persona4celestia.jpg
    Matev wrote: »
    Well, that makes it harrowing.
    You are 100% getting "Becky, who ugly cries" and theres nothing you can do about it! :rotate:

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Literally the only reason I'm getting a starter is for the tokens and a couple random decks.

... I found out another employee here at work ordered an entire case of decks. Man. Way more than I'm willing to drop!

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    Athenor wrote: »
    Literally the only reason I'm getting a starter is for the tokens and a couple random decks.

... I found out another employee here at work ordered an entire case of decks. Man. Way more than I'm willing to drop!

A different deck for every day of the week!

There appears to be a worldwide shortage of starter sets. I'm hearing of shops getting barely a fifth of their order.

On the plus side I was offered 5 decks instead so I'll take that and live with improvised tokens.

MhCw7nZ.gif
    It’d be a bummer if I can’t get mine, but I only want it for the starter decks to teach with, I already have two decks so I COULD teach with those, but I’d rather use what they specially designed for learning with

6F32U1X.png
  • CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    The only really important bit would be the chain tracker, I think? Nothing you can't use an app for, I guess.

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    FFG's intro blurb for Organized Play belongs in the OP!
    FFG wrote:
    In the beginning, there was no KeyForge. There were other card games, and they had Netdecking and Predictable Metas. They had countless options, but the "collective wisdom" of online whisperers saw those options reduced by to one-dozen or fewer. Players knew 90% of an opponent's card from the first card reveal.

And then there was KeyForge!

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    Carnarvon wrote: »
    The only really important bit would be the chain tracker, I think? Nothing you can't use an app for, I guess.

You don’t even need that if you can just remember that past every multiple of 6 you draw to one less

1-6 is draw to 5, 7-12 is draw to 4, and so on

6F32U1X.png
  • bobAkirafettbobAkirafett Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Carnarvon wrote: »

You don’t even need that if you can just remember that past every multiple of 6 you draw to one less

1-6 is draw to 5, 7-12 is draw to 4, and so on

Just using a d6 placed on the deck would be enough. Each d6 is -1draw.

akirasig.jpg
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    FFG's intro blurb for Organized Play belongs in the OP!
    FFG wrote:
    In the beginning, there was no KeyForge. There were other card games, and they had Netdecking and Predictable Metas. They had countless options, but the "collective wisdom" of online whisperers saw those options reduced by to one-dozen or fewer. Players knew 90% of an opponent's card from the first card reveal.

And then there was KeyForge!

Someone needs to hold a Yugioh-themed Keystone event, where everyone buys their deck at the start and then plays cards as emphatically as possible.

Sponsored Archon names?!

b08ifrnpqby11.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=0ede156799b7f8ed37d33b523eacfbfb5f199194

Yes it's a website. No you don't want to check that at work.

Blimey, what a thing to have been randomly generated.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
  • DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
    Sponsored Archon names?!

b08ifrnpqby11.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=0ede156799b7f8ed37d33b523eacfbfb5f199194

All cards exposed streaming service. She even shows her QR-code.

steam_sig.png
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Sponsored Archon names?!

Especially when it's Fraulein instead of Frau.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    There's no way that's real...

• Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    I'm hearing scary rumours of insufficient starter box stock being delivered to stores... I now have the fear for my order, especially as it is by mail.

Also:

q4u08z8btdoe.jpg

Seeing new funny names is never going to get old.

I though the boy who basically headbutts heaven was peak funny name but elephant punching is somehow funnier

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
    edited November 2018
    There's no way that's real...

I find it more likely that their random syllable conjoiner made an unfortunate combo than someone went to the effort of faking that.

We'll know soon enough. All decks registered in the app will apparently be publicly searchable.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    A good article on the universal strategy of Keyforge.
    https://medium.com/@jaysonsethlindley/how-do-keyforge-universal-strategies-for-piloting-in-the-crucible-4ebce8c7a744
    In this way, I would postulate that almost every deck in Keyforge is best thought of, first and foremost, as a Midrange deck. Midrange decks in other card games are decks that adjust their strategy in response to the boardstate and what the opponent is doing, and almost every deck in Keyforge needs to play that way.

*erection*

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767