As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Plug 'n Play Paradise: The Most 'Mini' Thing About Genesis Mini 2 Is How Many They'll Make

• fortyforty Registered User regular
    I'd like to hope they licensed it or got approval or something, but there's decent odds that's not the case.

• DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    I believe I remember it being revealed that Nintendo was using ROMs from the internet in Virtual Console.

I heard people just kind of jumped to conclusions and that wasn't really based on anything concrete either way?

• SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    forty wrote: »
    I'd like to hope they licensed it or got approval or something, but there's decent odds that's not the case.

Pretty sure they did, or at least they give credit in the copyright info area on the system.

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Dirty wrote: »
    I believe I remember it being revealed that Nintendo was using ROMs from the internet in Virtual Console.

I heard people just kind of jumped to conclusions and that wasn't really based on anything concrete either way?

There was some data showing at least some of them came from the internet.

It is perfectly legal for Nintendo to do that so they didn't have a huge reason not to.

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    SteevL wrote: »
    Another fun fact:

The emulator being used on the Playstation Classic isn't created by Sony. It's PCSX ReARMed, an open source emulator which I use on my SNES Classic.
    It feels weird given that they already had made emulators for the PS3, PS2, PSP, and Vita so it shouldn't have been amazingly difficult to do that again for the Classic, but I guess that might have been too expensive for them.

Edit:
    https://kotaku.com/playstation-classic-plays-fine-but-it-s-a-bare-bones-e-1830294616
    Oddly, many of the games on the PlayStation Classic were the European versions. When I booted up Final Fantasy VII, for example, I got the classic “Licensed By Sony Computer Entertainment of America” splash screen. But when I ran Battle Arena Toshinden, Grand Theft Auto, or Tekken 3, the screen said “Licensed By Sony Computer Entertainment Europe.”
    There’s a QR code that will load up manuals on the PlayStation website, but it wasn’t functional during the preview event.
    Why is that something that needs to be done with a QR code and not just part of the system?

Couscous on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    Edit:
    https://kotaku.com/playstation-classic-plays-fine-but-it-s-a-bare-bones-e-1830294616
    Oddly, many of the games on the PlayStation Classic were the European versions. When I booted up Final Fantasy VII, for example, I got the classic “Licensed By Sony Computer Entertainment of America” splash screen. But when I ran Battle Arena Toshinden, Grand Theft Auto, or Tekken 3, the screen said “Licensed By Sony Computer Entertainment Europe.”
    There’s a QR code that will load up manuals on the PlayStation website, but it wasn’t functional during the preview event.
    Why is that something that needs to be done with a QR code and not just part of the system?

I'd say laziness, but scanning in existing manuals takes maybe an iota of more effort than making a QR code. Very weird. This whole thing is seeming half-baked.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    Hey, Cnet guy, there was no Game Genie for Playstation. ;)

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »
    Edit:

I'd say laziness, but scanning in existing manuals takes maybe an iota of more effort than making a QR code. Very weird. This whole thing is seeming half-baked.

The Nintendo Classics had the same exact design. A manuals option that popped up a giant QR code (and the website if you had to type it yourself for whatever reason).

Considering the alternative is storing all those jpg's, at a high enough resolution so they'd be readable on your TV from 10 feet away, I really don't see what the problem is here.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    I watched the preview videos and just feel the need to state again that Crash Bandicoot sucks and I don't care that it's not on this console.

• KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular

There was one hell of a Game Shark, though. I was devastated when my OG PS broke and all I could find to replace it didn't have the serial port.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Kreutz wrote: »

There was one hell of a Game Shark, though. I was devastated when my OG PS broke and all I could find to replace it didn't have the serial port.

Yeah man Game Shark was awesome on the PSX.

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    That bit about European versions troubles me. They'd better not be PAL versions running at PAL speeds. Back then, the conversion between NTSC and PAL could be a real problem - PAL runs at 576i resolution and 50Hz. Taking a game written for NTSC's 480i and 60Hz and doing a straight port could - and sometimes did - result in games with massive squashed letterboxing (since the extra resolution was ignored) and a 17% speed reduction.

Tekken 3 will be the one to test, its PAL version was exactly like that, it was one of the laziest PAL versions of anything. Extremely vertically squashed and nearly a full fifth slower than the NTSC release.

Not coincidentally, that was the first PS1 game I turned to importing back in the day.

Here's hoping everything on the Classic is running at the right aspect ratio at 60Hz. Which, duh, it's HDMI, it should. But I need to verify it.

Jazz on
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Yeah. Surely, they will do it right. Surely.

Kreutz wrote: »

Yup, the exact same thing happened to me. When I got my replacement PS I was shocked to find no place to insert my GameShark. Besides the trash... :(

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Damn, I was going to get it for Puzzle Fighter, Coolboarders, MGS, and Syphon Filter, but if it's a poop initiation I might just make my own. Puzzle Fighter doesn't emulate very well though.

• BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Damn, I was going to get it for Puzzle Fighter, Coolboarders, MGS, and Syphon Filter, but if it's a poop initiation I might just make my own. Puzzle Fighter doesn't emulate very well though.

Is it cheaper to buy an old PS One and the game?

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular

Puzzle Fighter is on PS3 as well.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular
    Also GBA, for what it's worth.

I still have Puzzle Fighter for PS1 and it plays on my PS3, but I haven't noticed any issues with the game running on my SNES Classic either.

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    To show how slow I am on the uptake, I just realized that the PS Classic includes Puzzle Fighter, not Pocket Fighter, the actual game I would've wanted.

Well, that's strike three for me I suppose.

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Super Puzzle Fighter is also on the XB360, but it was for the authenticity I guess. I might just get it off that marketplace. Have another reason to keep that old boy plugged in besides RDR and the MGS collection.

Honestly, need a better Tetris Collection then the Puyo Pop one on Switch. Super Puzzle Fighter and Tetris Attack please!

KoopahTroopah on
    Super Puzzle Fighter is also on the XB360, but it was for the authenticity I guess. I might just get it off that marketplace. Have another reason to keep that old boy plugged in besides RDR and the MGS collection.

Honestly, need a better Tetris Collection then the Puyo Pop one on Switch. Super Puzzle Fighter and Tetris Attack please!

Be warned that the 360 Super Puzzle Fighter has cheevos that aren't divisible by five. Drove me crazy until I was able to find doable non-five cheevos to even it out.

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    I'm still trying to figure out how to get Sexy Parodius running via MAME core on my SNES Classic. Once I do, Pocket Fighter arcade version will be my next task.

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited November 2018

I was going to say, if you ever find yourself with an Xbox One, RDR and MGS collection (all of it) play on it. Annoyingly, Super Puzzle Fighter doesn't, so problem not entirely solved, I'm afraid. Still worth noting!

Synthesis wrote: »
    I'm still trying to figure out how to get Sexy Parodius running via MAME core on my SNES Classic. Once I do, Pocket Fighter arcade version will be my next task.

I haven't played it in years, but yeah, Sexy Parodius is good times.

Jazz on
  • rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    So the license on this emulator lets you include it in commercial products. Only catch is IF you modify it, you have to release the source code.

What are odds the game picks were hampered by emulator compatibility since they don't want to dive into fixing it for X game.

Mini console news:

The Christmas Edition of the Neo Geo mini you've all asked for is coming:

Someone actually is making an attempt at a "PC Classic":
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sjbrqR36w4

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »
    Mini console news:

The Christmas Edition of the Neo Geo mini you've all asked for is coming:

*Citation needed

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    They're ALREADY adding games to the NeoGeo thing? After the first one just came out a couple months ago?

Way to piss off your fanbase, there.

• anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    I hate saying it, but I think I'll be canceling my PS1 classic preorder. I was already disappointed by the lineup of games and the lack of what I consider the PS1 greats, but now that more info is out it just sounds like Sony was really lazy with the thing (no filters, manuals, menu music, etc.) NES and SNES classics are so well done, and I expected just as much from Sony so this is pretty disappointing. Honestly, most of the PS1 games I want to play I already own or can buy for my vita, which is both funny and sad considering how fast Sony abandoned it. It was and still is a better PS1 classic than the actual PS1 classic.

The final nail in the coffin for me is the price. Why Sony believes that their classic and it's sub par lineup of games is worth 40/20 dollars more than the NES/SNES classics and their amazing libraries is beyond me. I'll always love the PS1. It was my second console of my life after the SNES and I remember being blown away by the graphics at the time when I got it for Christmas. It has so many amazing games, but I have a vita, a PS1, a few PS2s, and a CRT so I have plenty of ways to play these games, even authentically if I want to. As much as I love the PS1, I just can't support this half ass attempt to cash in on the mini/classic craze.

Steam: offday
  • IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Ok so what are we thinking on PC Classic? Are we going for more of a DOS era or Windows 95? King's Quest? Xargon? Jill of the Jungle? Monster Bash? Commander Keen? Ultima? Zork? Myst? Tie Fighter? The Incredible Machine?

(Pardon if any details are actually given in the video I can't watch it currently)

Ilpala on
    FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • JOE_1967JOE_1967 Registered User regular
    Honestly, I'd pay good cash money for an Apple ][ Classic, except I can't remember the names of any of the games I played on it over at my friend's house.

• Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    An Apple ][ that could connect to HDMI without jumping through hoops would be great.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    paratrooper is life

NES Classic ... amazing library.

Wut? Half those games are trash, bruh.

Yes, thank you.

The majority of the games on that thing are ones I would be sick of after 5 minutes. Not to say the PS Classic library isn't disappointing, but let's not pretend the NES Classic had a solid baseline collection.

• anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular

Yes, thank you.

The majority of the games on that thing are ones I would be sick of after 5 minutes. Not to say the PS Classic library isn't disappointing, but let's not pretend the NES Classic had a solid baseline collection.

Then the NES and it's games probably just aren't your thing. And that's A OK.

Everyone is going to have their opinions and that's alright/makes the world go round/blah blah but the majority of those are solid games on the NES or at least played a significant part in Nintendo's history. Yeah, the original Metroid might not be great by today's standards, and even frustrating, but that's a staple of it's time and one of those titles that has to be included just because it was the starting point for an amazing series that is loved by many today.

And @Dirty, I respect you, but don't get me started on your taste in games. You're basically my polar opposite when it comes to what games I enjoy, and I don't have a unique or niche taste in video games, and again that's ok, but trash? Come on man.

Right, so garbage games like Metroid, Zelda 2, and Balloon Fight get a pass for "historical value", but the shit on the PSmini doesn't tickle our nostalgia boner as much. I totally get it.

Don't forget system sellers like Donkey Kong, Galaga, Ice Climber, Mario Bros., and Pac-Man.

• BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Right, so garbage games like Metroid, Zelda 2, and Balloon Fight get a pass for "historical value", but the shit on the PSmini doesn't tickle our nostalgia boner as much. I totally get it.

Don't forget system sellers like Donkey Kong, Galaga, Ice Climber, Mario Bros., and Pac-Man.

Maybe my sarcasmometer is off but I legit think at least half of these games are great.

Edit: I guess I should add, in case it somehow gives me more street cred, that I never owned an NES? I mean maybe I'm still more susceptible to looking at games within the context of their time period than other people, but I still have a lot of fun with these old titles.

BloodySloth on
    I'm also starting to become convinced that Dirty and Forty are the same person.