As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Canadian Politics] No, we're never going to stop talking about pot legalization.

• Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    I can absolutely imagine prominent CPC members being catfished intentionally. Just a matter of the circumstances emerging to initiate it.
    Otherwise, I dunno, the behaviour is pretty standard for the times and I don't think we'd have much of an issue if he wasn't both A) married and B) a conservative.

• Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    What someone wants to do in their free time is up to them....

Unless they are members of the "Fuck you for doing things you enjoy in your free time" Party.

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Disco11 wrote: »
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/tony-clement-sexting-1.4894889

Seems to usually be conservatives that get caught with their hand in the cookie jar...
    "Over the last three weeks, I have shared sexually explicit images and a video of myself to someone who I believed was a consenting female recipient. The recipient was, in fact, an individual or party who targeted me for the purpose of financial extortion," Clement said in a statement.

[...]

Clement is also a member of the top secret national security and intelligence committee — a special joint parliamentary committee composed of MPs and senators that oversees the work of the country's intelligence agencies, including the Canadian Security Intelligence Service (CSIS), the Communications Security Establishment, the Royal Canadian Mounted Police and the Canada Border Services Agency.

It is fucking terrifying to contemplate the potential consequences of this.

Any guesses on who was behind it? My Russia-sense is tingling...

sig.gif
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018

Seems to usually be conservatives that get caught with their hand in the cookie jar...

Hey man. Do as I say, not as I do.

Seriously though, what in the nine hells is going through your head when you decide to send pictures and video of your bits to someone you’ve never met?

“Surely, they will be impressed.

Surely.”

Edit: I don’t think I believe him when he says he was targeted for extortion, though. That the other person decided to go for it, sure. But targeted?

I could see scammers of some sort going after politicians and other high-profile public figures in the hopes they could get some money out of them.

WHIhSfSh.jpg

sHcjfTMh.jpg

Like scammers are phishing with these amongst the general public, I could see a non-internet savvy MP getting hit by a more sophisticated kind of scam

Brolo on
  • Options
    The Beaverton is good.

Health Canada announces it will cover treatment for Canadians forced to imagine Tony Clement sexting
    The government will not only be paying the costs to cover treatment of the physical symptoms (nausea, extreme nausea, uncontrollable laughter, shuddering so hard one breaks teeth and/or bites through dental appliances), but the costs of counselling for every Canadian who can’t stop thinking about what’s in that video.

sig.gif
  • Options
    CorporateGoonCorporateGoon Registered User regular
    The extortionists really went the wrong way on this one. They could've made a ludicrous amount of money by letting the country know they had pics of li'l Tony, and threatening to release them if we didn't pay up. They'd have been bitcoin billionaires overnight!

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »
    I see New Brunswick's added getting destroyed physically to their getting wrecked politically this week. Yeowch.

Hope any PAers there have as few trees as possible in their living rooms this morning.

(And that it's not a repeat of the storms last year which knocked the whole province off the grid for what seemed like weeks at a time...)

My power literally just came back on today - it's been since Saturday and I live in the main suburbs of Fredericton. I am so furious with Gaetan Thomas - CEO of NB Power.

People are raising legitimate concerns about the province's infrastructure. Trees aren't being trimmed and many power poles are rotten. A pole in my friend's backyard snapped right in half; when he got out to look at it he said he could literally tear the pole apart with his bare hands due to how rotten through it was.

Thomas was on CBC yesterday where they were pressing him about people's concerns and deflected it to "Yes, well we have a lot of supporters too and I want to thank them for their patience and support they're showing our linespeople.". I almost drove my care into a tree when I heard that.

I would love to see a politician get pissed about this but the argument immediately turns to "You're not respecting the hard working linespeople!". The fact that you can't have a nuanced opinion as simple as "I respect the work of the workers but want to hold the corporation responsible" is super frustrating.

• Options

Whooops

This is especially bad since the US is barring Canadians from entering if they admit to smoking weed.

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

Whooops

This is especially bad since the US is barring Canadians from entering if they admit to smoking weed.

I thought they backed off from that? I know they said they're no longer banning NSLC employees from entering the US as long as they don't sell the stuff there.

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    Yeah the most concerning thing about the Clement thing to me is this:
    Clement is also a member of the top secret national security and intelligence committee — a special joint parliamentary committee composed of MPs and senators that oversees the work of the country's intelligence agencies, including the Canadian Security Intelligence Service (CSIS), the Communications Security Establishment, the Royal Canadian Mounted Police and the Canada Border Services Agency.

The guy should be fucking smarter than to fall for what he did. Its good that he resigned from that committee.

• Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular

Whooops

I thought they backed off from that? I know they said they're no longer banning NSLC employees from entering the US as long as they don't sell the stuff there.

They have not at all backed off from the ability to ban individual pot users. I got a panicked call last week from my mom who lives just south of us in Bellingham, WA, telling us, "I don't care if you've ever smoked pot or not, but if they ask you about it at the border, lie your ass off." (I laughed because it happens that neither myself nor my husband have ever tried pot, because we're just that lame.) Apparently border bannings are all over the local news there. I had a hard time finding corroboration myself, but I did find an article about it happening on the Saskatchewan border.

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Clement has been asked to leave caucus now as well.

I should be a better man and not take satisfaction in this most public of falls. Sadly, I am not a better man. The only way I could enjoy this any more is if he was literally falling from the highest point of the House of Parliament. While on fire. Clement made the lives of public servants hell when he was the head of the Treasury Board. Indeed, I would imagine that there are few long-term public servants who aren't secretly enjoying this.

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

I should be a better man and not take satisfaction in this most public of falls. Sadly, I am not a better man. The only way I could enjoy this any more is if he was literally falling from the highest point of the House of Parliament. While on fire. Clement made the lives of public servants hell when he was the head of the Treasury Board. Indeed, I would imagine that there are few long-term public servants who aren't secretly enjoying this.

We should absolutely take pleasure in the downfall of these shitheels. Fuck em, could only have happened to a few better targets.

• Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    Your kitten avatar makes me happy.

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options

I was (more or less) in the federal civil service while he was heading the Treasury Board and I absolutely guarantee there's a lot of schadenfreude in that sector.

(He's probably why I'm not still in my previous role, which I enjoyed immensely and where my employers actively wanted to keep me permanently, so yeah, good riddance.)

• Options
    Canada's Deep State: Basically just people who want to be treated humanely on the job. :P

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    I see New Brunswick's added getting destroyed physically to their getting wrecked politically this week. Yeowch.

Hope any PAers there have as few trees as possible in their living rooms this morning.

(And that it's not a repeat of the storms last year which knocked the whole province off the grid for what seemed like weeks at a time...)

My power literally just came back on today - it's been since Saturday and I live in the main suburbs of Fredericton. I am so furious with Gaetan Thomas - CEO of NB Power.

People are raising legitimate concerns about the province's infrastructure. Trees aren't being trimmed and many power poles are rotten. A pole in my friend's backyard snapped right in half; when he got out to look at it he said he could literally tear the pole apart with his bare hands due to how rotten through it was.

Thomas was on CBC yesterday where they were pressing him about people's concerns and deflected it to "Yes, well we have a lot of supporters too and I want to thank them for their patience and support they're showing our linespeople.". I almost drove my care into a tree when I heard that.

I would love to see a politician get pissed about this but the argument immediately turns to "You're not respecting the hard working linespeople!". The fact that you can't have a nuanced opinion as simple as "I respect the work of the workers but want to hold the corporation responsible" is super frustrating.

It's a good thing you didn't. I hear that's causing blackouts all over, despite the hard efforts of lineworkers compensating for disinvestment.

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular

Hey man. Do as I say, not as I do.

Seriously though, what in the nine hells is going through your head when you decide to send pictures and video of your bits to someone you’ve never met?

“Surely, they will be impressed.

Surely.”

Edit: I don’t think I believe him when he says he was targeted for extortion, though. That the other person decided to go for it, sure. But targeted?

I could see scammers of some sort going after politicians and other high-profile public figures in the hopes they could get some money out of them.

WHIhSfSh.jpg

sHcjfTMh.jpg

Like scammers are phishing with these amongst the general public, I could see a non-internet savvy MP getting hit by a more sophisticated kind of scam

Okay, but he was profiled in that article as being quite internet savvy, although they said it in the most “explaining normal social media behavior in the least normal way” way possible. Did you know he likes and shares posts by acquaintances and strangers alike?

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    Hey, how ya doin', Ontario?

Yup, seems aboot right.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Hey, how ya doin', Ontario?

Yup, seems aboot right.

wtD8UdI.png

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Feds to send $420M directly to Ontario institutions, businesses — skipping Doug Ford's government

Money from Low Carbon Economy Fund will go to cities, hospitals, schools

Seems the Federal government is determined to flip the bird at Ford in some fashion.

I’m fairly certain the Weed Number being involved is entirely coincidental.

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    My wife and I are going to be in Yellowknife this coming weekend (flying up from Calgary, vaguely hoping to see aurora but the current forecast looks cloudy so dunno how that'll go) -- any tips for things to do/see/eat? Tripadvisor et al have a bunch of suggestions, but I'm not sure how much those are aimed at canadians. (for example, the 'don't forget to pre-book your cold weather clothing rentals' doesn't really apply, we have hats and gloves aplenty already)

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    My wife and I are going to be in Yellowknife this coming weekend (flying up from Calgary, vaguely hoping to see aurora but the current forecast looks cloudy so dunno how that'll go) -- any tips for things to do/see/eat? Tripadvisor et al have a bunch of suggestions, but I'm not sure how much those are aimed at canadians. (for example, the 'don't forget to pre-book your cold weather clothing rentals' doesn't really apply, we have hats and gloves aplenty already)

The forecast isn't a good judge on if you'll see the Aurora. @Nova_C will know better but think this the time of year where it's dark at least 18 hours a day, thus lots of time to see Aurora the hour the day

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    We get about 8 or so hours of light this time of year, but be of a mindset where getting to see the aurora borealis is a nice bonus, and not the reason for the trip. It has been overcast constantly, the past few days, which is not unusual, and even if its clear, the aurora doesn't happen all the time.

But if you do get to see it when you're up here, it's pretty great.

The good news is that winter has been very mild so far. The coldest we've gotten to yet has been -19. The past few days have been closer to -10 or -12. Today is even warmer, I think. Lots of snow, though. LOTS of snow. At least for here.

For things to do and see? I'm very much not a tourist, even when I'm traveling, let alone when I'm at home, but

The museum up here is reportedly very good (I still haven't gone, it's on my list). There are dog sled tours. With how much snow we've been getting you may be able to go snowshoeing, if that's your thing.

Hm. Yeah. I'm not good for this sort of thing. You're coming at an awkward time for tourism. Summer is over, and the winter stuff really happens in Feb/March when the snow castle opens and we have the Long John Jamboree. :/

Nova_C on
  • Options
    NC3QIKf.jpg
    As a senator calls for a nationwide review of the forced sterilization of Indigenous women, a lawyer representing a proposed class action detailed the accounts of being sterilized without proper and informed consent.

"In the throes of labour ... they would be approached, harassed, coerced into signing these consent forms," said Alisa Lombard, an associate with Maurice Law, the first Indigenous-owned national law firm in Canada.

The women would be told that they could not leave until their tubes were tied, cut or cauterized, she added, or that "they could not see their baby until they agreed."

At least 60 Indigenous women are pursuing a class-action lawsuit launched last year, alleging they underwent forced sterilizations over the past 20 to 25 years in Saskatchewan. Each woman is claiming about $7 million in damages.

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/thecurrent/the-current-for-november-13-2018-1.4902679/indigenous-women-kept-from-seeing-their-newborn-babies-until-agreeing-to-sterilization-says-lawyer-1.4902693

I hope the women get every cent, and everyone who pushed for this as a policy should go to jail.

• Options
    edited November 2018
    Montreal police have issued an arrest warrant for one of the Daily Stormer's main contributors for wilful promotion of hatred. The guy they're after was also a booster of a neo-Nazi group which has been involved in at least five murders in the last few years, and has been busy trying to recruit to similar organizations in Canada.

WPH is a serious/sufficiently tightly defined thing in Canadian law that each case requires the attorney general to personally sign off before the charge can be filed at all.

Zibblsnrt on
  • Options
    NC3QIKf.jpg
    As a senator calls for a nationwide review of the forced sterilization of Indigenous women, a lawyer representing a proposed class action detailed the accounts of being sterilized without proper and informed consent.

"In the throes of labour ... they would be approached, harassed, coerced into signing these consent forms," said Alisa Lombard, an associate with Maurice Law, the first Indigenous-owned national law firm in Canada.

The women would be told that they could not leave until their tubes were tied, cut or cauterized, she added, or that "they could not see their baby until they agreed."

At least 60 Indigenous women are pursuing a class-action lawsuit launched last year, alleging they underwent forced sterilizations over the past 20 to 25 years in Saskatchewan. Each woman is claiming about $7 million in damages.

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/thecurrent/the-current-for-november-13-2018-1.4902679/indigenous-women-kept-from-seeing-their-newborn-babies-until-agreeing-to-sterilization-says-lawyer-1.4902693

I hope the women get every cent, and everyone who pushed for this as a policy should go to jail.

Jesus fucking Christ, what was even the rationale for this?

• Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    NC3QIKf.jpg

Slow genocide.

"don't let them make more" straight up racism.

Couched in Bullshit about birth control and lies about procedures being reversible.

• Options
    Yep. They can sugarcoat it however they want, but the intent of that policy is "First Nations people, y'know, exist too much." I wouldn't be the tiniest bit surprised if you'd see the people involved in those procedures admitting that outright if pressed only a little bit.

• Options
    It really makes me wonder if any part of this policy was ever written down.
    Like is there some sort of record of the director of a provincial public health ministry saying "yo genocide this ethnic minority" ?

• Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    People say this stuff all the time.

"oh look, one of them off to get a welfare cheque and have 3 more kids"
    It's disturbingly common and I have no trouble believing this was a conversation in these places.

Written policy? Probably not. Not that that should save these fucks.

• Options
    Like is there some sort of record of the director of a provincial public health ministry saying "yo genocide this ethnic minority" ?

The residential schools - which, remember, were explicitly intended to wipe out the First Nations - only finished shutting down in '96, meaning that federal policy to that effect was on the books as recently as 22 years ago.

I can absolutely believe some provinces - or, more likely, the administration of some individual hospitals - clung to that sort of bullshit for years afterwards, either out of didn't-update-the-paperwork inertia or actively digging in their heels to keep up what they considered to be the good work. The sterilization stories sound too similar to ones going on in the seventies and eighties for there not to be some serious continuity there.

• Options
    Aridhol wrote: »
    NC3QIKf.jpg

Slow genocide.

Couched in Bullshit about birth control and lies about procedures being reversible.

Genocide is the result, what was the rationale? You don't put down "genocide the native population" in law or records in 2017. So what was the claim as to why this was still on going?

The article suggests they are suing all the way up the food chain so either they are massively overreaching or this wasn't just like one racist doctor in some hospital and someone was either not noticing or looking the other way or signing off on some excuse for this.

• Options
    Remember, the res schools existing means we did have some variation on "get rid of the native population" on the books in 1996. That was not a long time ago.

Past that... If there is a formal rationalization as opposed to an unwritten gentlefuckheads' agreement among hospital staff, it probably involves some word salad invoking terms like "wards of the state" and "likelihood of neglect" alongside a totally-sincere invocation or two of "informed consent." People who can hear the whistle know what's actually going on and just get super selective in the application.

It's the same way with a lot of ethnically-targetted laws or policies, kind of like how Canadian sundown towns might not have explicitly said "whites only after dark" in their local codes, but golly gee were the cops sure interesting in terms of how they started enforcing vagrancy or loitering laws around dusk.

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Scrapping labour reforms is damaging Ford’s popularity: poll
    Rolling back labour reforms — including cancelling paid sick days and freezing the $14-an-hour minimum wage — is taking its toll on Premier Doug Ford’s popularity, a new poll suggests.

The Campaign Research survey found Ford’s Progressive Conservatives, who won the June 7 election with 40.5 per cent of the vote, have dropped to 34 per cent.

I don't know how to feel about this. In my head, I'm angrily yelling at the 6.5% for being total idiots who are shocked, utterly and totally shocked, that the scorpion they voted for turned around to sting them, but ... well, I guess they're not the other 34 per cent.

hippofant on
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    NC3QIKf.jpg

Slow genocide.

Genocide is the result, what was the rationale? You don't put down "genocide the native population" in law or records in 2017. So what was the claim as to why this was still on going?

The article suggests they are suing all the way up the food chain so either they are massively overreaching or this wasn't just like one racist doctor in some hospital and someone was either not noticing or looking the other way or signing off on some excuse for this.

Rational of all of the targeted minority are on social assistance, and shouldn't be allowed to procreate while on it.

Pretty much the genocidal version of drug tests for welfare.

I feel sick to my stomach that these crimes are still being perpetrated, and we the public won't find out for years after.

I hope that this policy was ended when it was first discovered, and it has just taken this long to get to the courts and be publicized. But my faith in humanity is a bit shaken right now.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    It really was one of the stupidest rollbacks. Like, "are you reading your proposal outloud" kind of policy change from paid to unpaid days.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options

The residential schools - which, remember, were explicitly intended to wipe out the First Nations - only finished shutting down in '96, meaning that federal policy to that effect was on the books as recently as 22 years ago.

I can absolutely believe some provinces - or, more likely, the administration of some individual hospitals - clung to that sort of bullshit for years afterwards, either out of didn't-update-the-paperwork inertia or actively digging in their heels to keep up what they considered to be the good work. The sterilization stories sound too similar to ones going on in the seventies and eighties for there not to be some serious continuity there.

Hell, we had a Canadian Senator defending the Residential Schools genocide as a good thing, openly and in the record, a year or two ago.

sig.gif
  • Options
    NC3QIKf.jpg

Slow genocide.

Rational of all of the targeted minority are on social assistance, and shouldn't be allowed to procreate while on it.

Pretty much the genocidal version of drug tests for welfare.

I feel sick to my stomach that these crimes are still being perpetrated, and we the public won't find out for years after.

I hope that this policy was ended when it was first discovered, and it has just taken this long to get to the courts and be publicized. But my faith in humanity is a bit shaken right now.

I mean, that's one rationale you see, yes. But is it the one used here? How many are signing off on this? What's the scope of this issue?

Like, it's easy to throw out what we think it might be or what we think might be going on here and what some people might be thinking but there seems scant actual information about wtf is actually going on and how widespread it is and basically all of the other relevant questions about this issue.

I think the snarky "oh course it's X" responses are less then useful here when there are bigger questions like "Is this an official or defacto official policy of the Saskatchewan provincial health system?" or basically "How far up the chain and how common is this shit?". Because that's stuff we really need to be finding out.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I'm trying to parse this theory of "oh they're totally doing it to commit genocide"... when it's being done to a mother who has already had children.

Either your theory is just stupid, or whoever is doing this is stupid because they got the order of operations wrong. Either way, something doesn't add up.

It's still horrifying regardless.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."