As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hitman]

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Ooh, if they got rid of the electronic lockpick, that would make sense. It did sorta make some locked doors trivial.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    Personally, i don't really care for the unlocks that much.
    Other than the occasional breaching charge and/or lockpicks, i rarely bring anything with me unless i am going for a specific challenge like poison everyone in colorado.
    It's actually pretty fun to do occasional run on professional where you bring nothing with you.
    Gives such a different experience from just having everything you need from the beginning.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I mean in fairness quite a lot of the unlockables were just fancy skins of things. Another sharp thing, another blunt thing, another explody thing, and so on.

It would just make my brain itch to have virtually half of a game just sitting there, even if I have played it before.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Playing a bit of the new one, and interestingly they now have 3 different difficulty levels. Casual, Professional, and Master, but the game only seems to explain what Professional is (most likely because it's the default/"way it was meant to be played")

edit: Also the new UI having these XP popups when you stealth kill or unlock doors, along with the first tutorial level being set in a swanky modern house you have to break into and then break out of, really gives me a Hitman Absolution vibe off the bat. The rest of the game isn't like that, but still.

There's no weird hat system/disguise meter, or fire trails telling you where enemies will walk.

If you click on the other difficulty modes, they explain themselves.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    My personal list of useful unlocks from Hitman (2016):
    custom 5mm pistol-concealable and silenced
    Krugermeier 2-2-silenced and subsonic made it the most usable discreet general use pistol
    Sieger 3000-great for all your sniper needs
    remote breaching charges and disposable scrambler-for quick and discreet entry into areas of the map one has not yet learned

The best item is not locked at the beginning of play:
    coins

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    My personal list of useful unlocks from Hitman (2016):
    custom 5mm pistol-concealable and silenced
    Krugermeier 2-2-silenced and subsonic made it the most usable discreet general use pistol
    Sieger 3000-great for all your sniper needs
    remote breaching charges and disposable scrambler-for quick and discreet entry into areas of the map one has not yet learned

The best item is not locked at the beginning of play:
    coins

I'd add the lethal poison vial from Paris. Having done a single run through all the new maps, I don't have it unlocked yet, so I've been playing some Paris to unlock it.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    All the poison-related unlocks were incredibly useful for me. I tend to use them over almost any other method, and poisons hidden in levels can sometimes be a pain to reach (and are non-injectable).

• Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    Yeah, the lethal syringe is maybe the most powerful unlock in the game.
    I especially loved it when I wanted to do something intricate with one target but didn’t really want to deal with the other one. You can even just use it right in the open if you want to cause some chaos, but not as much as pulling a gun out

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Yeah, the lethal syringe is maybe the most powerful unlock in the game.
    I especially loved it when I wanted to do something intricate with one target but didn’t really want to deal with the other one. You can even just use it right in the open if you want to cause some chaos, but not as much as pulling a gun out

It can still be a pain in the ass to use sometimes. I'm pretty sure I could inject somebody with a needle (going by the hollywood logic of pricking anywhere on the body and not a required vein) in a crowded room and not have anybody notice. Apparently though people in the Hitman world can see that shit from a mile away.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Now that there's a Hitman 2 lethal syringe and a Hitman 1 lethal syringe, you can bring in two lethal syringes :3

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    I haven't looked through the Hitman 2 unlocks yet but I really want a dartgun at some point, it'd be fun and also hilariously broken.

I've got the Paris poison now, will probably start Miami now, maybe.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    Did they change a bunch of stuff from Season 1 when they ported it to this? Obviously there's now grass and bigger crowds, but I did the Bare Knuckle Boxer opportunity and Novikov did the late season 1 "well you didn't think it'd be that easy" ET thing of vomiting Into a trash can instead of a toilet. His bodyguard also looked at the poisoned sushi I made but decided against eating any.

Anyway, played through Miami today and got to Colombia, and these levels are fucking massive so far. It's almost oppressive and paralyzing big. Just so much stuff to see and do. Seeing your target as a little red dot super far away always makes me sigh and say "Oh come on".

Also it's weird Miami had the Hokkaido "no items" specification thing, at least to start. You can't even bring coins due to "heightened security". I assume it's because they want you to try the level regularly first, but it's a race track. Are they afraid people will throw coins onto the track?

steam_sig.png

• Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I haven't looked through the Hitman 2 unlocks yet but I really want a dartgun at some point, it'd be fun and also hilariously broken.

There's a tranq pistol in the opening mission of Hitman 2.

Why yes, that is exactly as hilariously good as it sounds.

• Options
    They kept the sedative vials, which are still useless. You usually want poison to kill someone or make them sick and force them into a more private area to throw up so you can kill them there. Having a poison that instantly makes them go to sleep isn't particularly useful when someone just wakes them up

steam_sig.png

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Did they change a bunch of stuff from Season 1 when they ported it to this? Obviously there's now grass and bigger crowds, but I did the Bare Knuckle Boxer opportunity and Novikov did the late season 1 "well you didn't think it'd be that easy" ET thing of vomiting Into a trash can instead of a toilet. His bodyguard also looked at the poisoned sushi I made but decided against eating any.

I did the Bare Knuckle Boxer, and he went to the bathroom. It could be based on timing, so if someone else was in the bathroom so it was seen as unusable, he got re-routed? Or maybe it's based on difficulty (I was playing on Professional)?

Just tried to play a bit and the server's apparently down for maintenance, providing a wonderful example of why the whole always online thing is still as BS as ever. Is there anything anywhere that gives schedules and estimates for when/how long this happens?

klemming on
    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Suriko wrote: »

There's a tranq pistol in the opening mission of Hitman 2.

Why yes, that is exactly as hilariously good as it sounds.

yessss

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    I know the game is very early, but on PC, I'm really looking forward to patching. Most obviously, the "hanging on loading"--sometimes from saves, sometimes from just booting up the game--that probably has to do with not getting a confirmation notice from the server and just sticking there, wheels spinning, can get really annoying.

I've got a GTX 1080ti, and performance seems worse than the last game, even on the first season's levels imported into the game. Though despite some things like those incredible reflections, I think it's more to do with my aging i5...lowering resolution from 2160p to 1440p still saw drops in large crowds like in Miami. Granted the game only came out 3 days ago, some performance improvements would be nice but it's not like the game is unplayable by any means.

• Options
    Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    I mean I'm gutted my unlocks don't carry over but hey gives me a reason to murder all again. Mastery to 20 shouldn't take to long knowing the lay of the land up to patient zero.

Did anyone noticed the crew member tasting the food in the training area now has a bandage on his head, as somehow it's like he's been hit with a fire extinguisher a million times. Ha! Never change IO.

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Also one of the other things about re-unlocking everything is that mastery isn't 100% tied to challenges any more. It's still the fastest way to unlock stuff but you can just play casually or in whatever manner you want to get things done as well.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I have this preordered and ready to unlock tomorrow and will be streamin' my terrible failures, how do you get the unlocks from the first game? I own 'em both on steam. I saw something about booting up the first game and downloading something but I didn't see an option in that menu. Maybe won't show up until it unlocks for me tomorrow?

• Options
    I mean I'm gutted my unlocks don't carry over but hey gives me a reason to murder all again. Mastery to 20 shouldn't take to long knowing the lay of the land up to patient zero.

Did anyone noticed the crew member tasting the food in the training area now has a bandage on his head, as somehow it's like he's been hit with a fire extinguisher a million times. Ha! Never change IO.

Yeah, I was mildly miffed about that (then again, I originally thought this was going to be a massive expansion on top of the original release, but I understand the various commercial reasons that would rule that out, even before the technical ones.

Though so long as it's easy to do--much easier--I won't mind too much. I had a fun time playing Paris a couple times.

Having he lock pick (now "Mk II") behind a level requirement...even a low level requirement on the first Hitman 2 formal chapter, though, is kind of dumb. You pretty much have to play Miami once, and clear it, if you want to play the first season with the lock pick (which it's hard to imagine not doing).

• Options
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    I have this preordered and ready to unlock tomorrow and will be streamin' my terrible failures, how do you get the unlocks from the first game? I own 'em both on steam. I saw something about booting up the first game and downloading something but I didn't see an option in that menu. Maybe won't show up until it unlocks for me tomorrow?

You can't get the unlocks (lockpicks, guns, poisons, etc) from the first game, but if you've got the game, you can get all the levels as free DLC for 2.
    You will need to do the challenges again, but I guess that's unavoidable with the publisher switch and whatever.
    They have changed the unlock orders around a bit too, so you'll get things in different orders. The really significant unlocks (things like poison or electronic lockpick) seem to be tied in to doing 3 specific story missions (this years opportunities) in each level.

As to how you get it, it depends on the platform. PC is easy enough, just get to the main menu of 2 and it can tell you have the old game, and it'll be added to your downloads when you quit.
    Consoles seems a bit more complicated, but there's a full guide here: https://ioi.dk/hitman-legacy-faq/

• Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    I'm really enjoying Season 2 so far after spending most of the weekend on a binge of the first three missions. The first three missions do feel very familiar, almost as if they're intentional nods to the basic mission structure of Paris, Sapienza, and Marrakesh. After playing through each of them a few times, I don't know that any of those levels feel quite as wonderful and as intricately connected as Paris did; I'd say everything so far has been about on par with Sapienza -- multiple targets, each of whom tends to stay in their own well-guarded but self-contained little areas, and it takes a lot of jumping through hoops if you want them to enter into the same space. (Or at least, that's how it seems to me so far.) There is an absolutely hilarious quest line in the third mission that I didn't expect to see, in which Agent 47 lets someone else do the heavy lifting, so to speak.

Before shutting down for the night I loaded into the fourth mission to discover that it's a kind of homage to one of the best levels from Blood Money
    Taking down a couple targets in a very well-guarded suburban community
    . The level of execution on that map, though, remains to be seen.

• Options
    KandenKanden Registered User regular
    They kept the sedative vials, which are still useless. You usually want poison to kill someone or make them sick and force them into a more private area to throw up so you can kill them there. Having a poison that instantly makes them go to sleep isn't particularly useful when someone just wakes them up

Unless you could let's say, put that poison into a ventilation system and knock out all the guards in the house in one go.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4SK3hh-WFk

Watching these goofs play a Hitman game is one of the best things about Youtube.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Also, I'm not normally into Hitman games personally, but I gotta say Hitman 2 is looking real good. Might have to pick it up at some point. Watching different gameplay videos though, makes me wish someone would make a slasher game in the style of Hitman. Singleplayer in big open world levels, and you play as the Jason Voorhees style slasher-man or woman, finding creative and gruesome ways to kill your targets.

I guess something like Party Hard, but third-person and not in pixel graphics.

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    I'm increasingly thinking that the game really needs to start out with more basic equipment.

The lockpick is painfully obvious. There's no reason you shouldn't have that after completing the tutorial except maybe that there are more crowbars in most levels. But I wanted to do the "blow up Viktor Novikov with a bomb in a camera" mission in Paris, only to find out..I don't have any explosive that works (something the game very inadequately failed to convey). I'd have to get from the attic, which I don't have unlocked as a starting point either.

It's not game breaking, but it is annoying.

• Options
    Synthesis wrote: »
    I'm increasingly thinking that the game really needs to start out with more basic equipment.

The lockpick is painfully obvious. There's no reason you shouldn't have that after completing the tutorial except maybe that there are more crowbars in most levels. But I wanted to do the "blow up Viktor Novikov with a bomb in a camera" mission in Paris, only to find out..I don't have any explosive that works (something the game very inadequately failed to convey). I'd have to get from the attic, which I don't have unlocked as a starting point either.

It's not game breaking, but it is annoying.

So you have to find the tools in the level? That's the point. Unlocks are generally there as shortcuts so you don't have to scour the level for poisons or keys every time.
    The fact that you will have the lockpick unlocked by beating Miami once (It's almost impossible to finish that level without getting a couple of mastery levels) makes it pretty easy to get, but I've gone through the first game missions without it no problem.

Apart from sniper rifles and a few advanced ones like the ninja challenge, I don't think any challenges require you to take specific loadout gear.

• Options
    If you're trying to bring a mine upstairs, don't let things like "armed guards" and "frisks" stop you. Try thinking laterally/vertically, or hiding in plain sight. Or sometimes you have to make the target come to you.

It's not that the game doesn't start you with a lockpick, it's just that the first level (Hawke's Bay) has no loadout screen and is full tutorial, and Miami has the weird Hokkaido-esque "no loadout slots till you beat it once", probably to force you/new players to try opportunities? You're telling me the race track is so locked down I can't have coins? Either way, the game def has a lockpick to start, you just don't realize it.

I'm also trying to get used to the briefcase. It's essentially an awkward 3rd item slot, no? Can people detect illegal items inside of it?
    Kanden wrote: »

Unless you could let's say, put that poison into a ventilation system and knock out all the guards in the house in one go.

Well now I want to smuggle the emetic poison into the level where that works, to make everyone start hurling at the same time.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    It's really good

• Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    I might try this out. Never played a Hitman game, but Steam refunds exist I guess.

Any tips for a first timer? Run in and shoot everyone right, that's how this works?

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    I might try this out. Never played a Hitman game, but Steam refunds exist I guess.

Any tips for a first timer? Run in and shoot everyone right, that's how this works?

I haven't played 2 yet (gonna stream it tonight) but in the first one it had a solid tutorial and will generally give you some good guidance on some of the clever setups for ways to assassinate people. Just gotta walk around and listen for clues.

• Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular

It's a society stealth murder game. Find a costume, fit in, find another costume, repeat. You'll do some sneakin' and peekin' but you'll usually be in costume and can stand out and not worry too much. Pick up everything, try to come up with a fun plan to murder. Save but don't be afraid to just leg it and see what the consequences are. There is a way to do special setups each map, those are fun and a good way to get around a level the first time. You won't play a level just once, so do whatever kill you feel like and then either do the next map or load it up again and look at the challenges and pick some fun ones to go for.

• Options
    BlueshiftBlueshift Registered User regular

Yeah plan on playing through the tutorial for a couple hours maybe. It's a very, very good intro on how to play.

• Options
    I think I'm gonna buy the Hitman 1 pack and play through the Hitman 1 stuff first, I think.

I will report back later.

• Options
    I think I'm gonna buy the Hitman 1 pack and play through the Hitman 1 stuff first, I think.

I will report back later.

Definitely the way to go. a) because Hitman 1 is a fantastic game and b) because the story in Hitman 2 is basically a continuation of Hitman 1 (not that you necessarily need to care about the story).

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    Yeesh Hitman 1's levels are an extra 30 gigs of download. Wish they could have imported from my existing install somehow, ah well.

Gonna stream some Hitman 2 if anyone cares to see it! twitch.tv/sniperguygaming

• Options
    Plus all of Hitman 1 for like $20 is a crazy good deal. Especially since if you play them in Hitman 2 you get to keep the unlocks

• Options
    I played through the Prologue.

I poisoned a dude to make him go throw up and then I drowned him in the toilet.

This is certainly a video game. I'm having fun! I did all the challenges in the first mission, not sure if I want to try to do all the challenges in the second before moving on or not.

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Is the car battery a new item? It goes well with sink clogging.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png