As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW] The war fronts moves on Stromgarde!

• Options
    ZenyatooZenyatoo Registered User regular
    Enigmedic wrote: »
    Its literally because people cant dps. Ive gone into the big 35v35 battles in mid with 8-10 healers and it doesnt matter, if your dps suck and cant kill anyone you will lose.

Ive solo healed bgs against teams with 3 healers and we won because my teams dps could push their buttons in a vaguely correct way.

The “focus the healer mantra” will absolutely win the game If people do it. The problem is people are dumb and blow everything on a blood dk with 3 people healing it. Or throw cc at a bladestorming warrior instead of his healers. If people are actually focusing a healer it should die in a couple globals and should maybe get 1 instant cast off before it drowns in kicks, stuns, fears, and silence.

If there's a spec in the game that requires you to kill it first or else you automatically lose, then isnt that spec strong by definition?

Nobody is out here losing bgs because they're pumping DPS into something while 3 fire mages do their thing. You lose because you're DPS'ing something while 3 healers do their thing.

Healers impact in 35v35 is mitigated because you have so much DPS that anyone who walks into the line of fire gets blown up instantaneously, and no amount of healing can save you if you're taking 300k damage per second from 12 players lighting you up. But healers are undeniably strong in smaller encounters, 2v2 3v3, even 5v5. And those happen all the time in battlegrounds.

To try and put this another way, in a typical 5v5 match where everyone is DPS, the order of targets you fight is (mostly) irrelevant. You just need to kill them all before you die. In a 5v5 where one or both sides has a healer, that healer has to either die first, or be cc locked until you've killed everything else. There's no other recourse. That means the healer is by definition the strongest spec there. As soon as the healer exists it must be handled first, either through death or CC, else you lose.

• Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    Its not that healers arent impactful, just they just do not affect the outcome of a fight more than dps. And you even pointed out why. In your 5v5 scenario you said the healer needs to be killed or ccd, and the people that do those things are often dps. If your dps suck and cant do either of those things, you will lose the fight.

There is such an abundance of burst and cc that good dps can makeup for a huge healer imbalance, or completely nullify an imbalance. Dps that can cc off targets and burst a primary target are reducing damage done to their team negating a need for healing and prevent those people from slowing down your teams dps. If a given groups dps is just running in and spamming filler, they are going to end up losing because their damage is going to be blunted by the enemy team being free to do whatever which will include things like bop, darkness, cc, and off heals.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Which is a larger task, do you think? Having the entire DPS population collectively learn to play far beyond their potential talent, or for Blizzard to just ensure BGs are role-balanced?

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Which is a larger task, do you think? Having the entire DPS population collectively learn to play far beyond their potential talent, or for Blizzard to just ensure BGs are role-balanced?

Preventing the heat death of the universe.

• Options
    hippofant wrote: »

Preventing the heat death of the universe.

insufficient data for meaningful response
    Its not that healers arent impactful, just they just do not affect the outcome of a fight more than dps. And you even pointed out why. In your 5v5 scenario you said the healer needs to be killed or ccd, and the people that do those things are often dps. If your dps suck and cant do either of those things, you will lose the fight.

There is such an abundance of burst and cc that good dps can makeup for a huge healer imbalance, or completely nullify an imbalance. Dps that can cc off targets and burst a primary target are reducing damage done to their team negating a need for healing and prevent those people from slowing down your teams dps. If a given groups dps is just running in and spamming filler, they are going to end up losing because their damage is going to be blunted by the enemy team being free to do whatever which will include things like bop, darkness, cc, and off heals.

The problem here is that your DPS have to play well. Your healers just have to play.

It's a well known fact that CC and burst is difficult to do properly. If it wasnt, then arena games would be triple DPS all the way down, because cc and bursting an enemy healer would be easy. But its not. We know it's not.

In the situation where its 5v5 DPS vs DPS, sure the DPS team that cc's and bursts well is probably gonna win, but its not strictly necessary for victory. A healer makes cc and burst a requirement when it would have otherwise not been. No other role or spec does that. No other role or spec requires you to take it out of the entire game or else you lose. That's the point here.

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    Enigmedic, I feel like your argument basically boils down to "because a team's chances of success depend on having competent players in role A, role B is less important", which is not logical. You're conflating two unrelated things. I could just as easily say "because having good or bad healers can determine whether you get a win or loss, dps doesn't matter as much".

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    But thats the opposite of what im saying. You could have a theoretical best healer in the game in a group against a group with some rando healer and the team that has dps who use more than filler will win. I guess really the argument is that healer skill ceiling and floor are much closer together and therefore the impact of a healer is much more binary. Theyre either there or not and you can only stretch that resource so far. Whereas a single dps that knows what theyre doing can often carry a whole team.

Well considering youre basically asking is it harder to push 4 instead of 2 buttons or blizzard to devote a single dev to anything pvp related, id say the latter. Im not asking for people to singlehandedly cc 4 different people while bursting, just need some dps who can use a dps cooldown then use their hard hitting abilities. I dont think that is well beyond the porential of anyone.

Enigmedic on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    How does parry work these days?

I've been leveling my DK. He's 116 now.

And I'm thinking of fights like Fetid Devourer (for example). Can special attacks that are all-physical like Fetid's Terrible Thrash be parried?

What about magical abilities? Can those be parried? Can boss abilities be parried at all, or just boss auto attacks?

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    How does parry work these days?

I've been leveling my DK. He's 116 now.

And I'm thinking of fights like Fetid Devourer (for example). Can special attacks that are all-physical like Fetid's Terrible Thrash be parried?

What about magical abilities? Can those be parried? Can boss abilities be parried at all, or just boss auto attacks?

Most of those are a case by case basis, but in general magic abilities cannot be parried while physical attacks can. The exception to the above is for boss abilities where it trivializes the mechanic, such as Fetid, which cannot be parried.

• Options
    Alright, another question for my DK. This time it's about gear.

I've heard people say many times here lately that it is easy to get to 320/340 these days. Can someone please explain exactly what I need to do once I hit 120 to rapidly gear?

Because my experience is all from week 1 of BfA. I haven't leveled a character to 120 since that first week. And my experience back then was that gearing was not easy. I ran many normals just to get to 310. I ran many Heroics just to get to 325. I ran many M0's just to get to 340. So if they have added shortcuts since then, I need to know what to do to get there quickly.

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    The goal is to get to 320 by the time a warfront is available since the waterfront will fill you in 340. The way i did it on an alt in about a week or less is doing wq that give gear, getting lucky on weekly boss, doing Headless Horsman for rings, buying a cape from rep, doing all the Arathi rares in the non-instanced version of it, and doing like 2 or 3 heroics.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Wqs, hitting both world bosses and rolling, arathi rares, also most crafted gear/boe blues and purples are pretty cheap on the ah. I was at like 302 on my monk, spent 10k gold and now its 328 after hitting 320 and doing the warfront. Also doing arenas can get you to 330 pretty quick as well. I got to like 345 the first playsession after my shaman hit 120 doing mainly arena. Thats probably the most reliable way to get at least a 345 weapon too.

• Options

I've heard people say many times here lately that it is easy to get to 320/340 these days. Can someone please explain exactly what I need to do once I hit 120 to rapidly gear?

Because my experience is all from week 1 of BfA. I haven't leveled a character to 120 since that first week. And my experience back then was that gearing was not easy. I ran many normals just to get to 310. I ran many Heroics just to get to 325. I ran many M0's just to get to 340. So if they have added shortcuts since then, I need to know what to do to get there quickly.

how much are you into pvp?

The conquest rewards mean that if you wanted to farm 5000 conquest you could get a full set of 355's with a 370 weapon (and 1 piece ugpraded from 355->370 with the warlord trophy).
    Its probably not the fastest, but its completely 100% consistent.

• Options
    Zenyatoo wrote: »

The conquest rewards mean that if you wanted to farm 5000 conquest you could get a full set of 355's with a 370 weapon (and 1 piece ugpraded from 355->370 with the warlord trophy).

Not at all into PVP. I don't even know what conquest is.

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    Smrtnik wrote: »
    The goal is to get to 320 by the time a warfront is available since the waterfront will fill you in 340. The way i did it on an alt in about a week or less is doing wq that give gear, getting lucky on weekly boss, doing Headless Horsman for rings, buying a cape from rep, doing all the Arathi rares in the non-instanced version of it, and doing like 2 or 3 heroics.

Honestly even if it is not technically your factions "time" in the wz the world bosses in arathi are still available they are just once per full cycle. My last alt I went there got 3 340 items then just banged out some world quests and PVP. The chests in pvp drop often and you can get some solid gear up to 330 out of them. WQ are good ways to bring up specific items that are lagging behind.

• Options

Not at all into PVP. I don't even know what conquest is.

Basically once per day the random battle grounds give a win bonus of conquest points. You can get 105 points just winning one epic BG and one normal bg in a day. If you have a friend the arena stuff is stupidly good now that they adjusted it. You get like 35 points a win in 2v2 for matches that take a couple minutes. I got almost 1500 conquest in one day just messing around with a friend. Even if you are not a huge PVP'er I do HIGHLY recommend doing at least 500 conquest points worth of PVP. You don't lose progress so you can do it over weeks but the first reward is a 345 weapon that you get to pick between a couple options on. Given how hard it is to reliably get a good weapon it is REALLY worth doing at least the first conquest reward worth of pvp.

• Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    Time walking starts on Tuesday right? That’s a real easy way to get to 320 in a few hours , hell I still have some 345 gear because it’s crit haste and haven’t found anything better.

• Options
    The problem with the timewalking gear is that the stats scale really weird. I had a quest ring that was like 289 and got a 320 from timewalking at the 320 had about half the stats as the 289. It will give you ilvl but youll be weaker for wearing it.

• Options
    All he is doing is trying to get into warfronts so it shouldn’t really be an issue too long. Also that’s a weird bug , haven’t noticed anything weird on the pieces I use.

• Options
    The problem with the timewalking gear is that the stats scale really weird. I had a quest ring that was like 289 and got a 320 from timewalking at the 320 had about half the stats as the 289. It will give you ilvl but youll be weaker for wearing it.

dont the timewalking rings have less secondaries because they have mainstat on them?

This is a super old example from legion but whatever

wUk1H6d.jpg

• Options
    Time walking starts on Tuesday right? That’s a real easy way to get to 320 in a few hours , hell I still have some 345 gear because it’s crit haste and haven’t found anything better.

Oh yes forgot that was coming up that is very true. I had like 3 pieces of 345 gear that lasted a good long time.

• Options

But once you have the ilvel you can do things like warfronts to get a full set of legit purple 340+ items so it speeds up the process for the world quests to give you their max level stuff and bootstraps you past the ilevel speed bump.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    I finally found some time to play the WoW Classic demo this weekend before it ended. God damn that brought back some feels. I guess a few things I tended to forget weren't there, like minimap tracking and such, but overall the nice, tedious but fun grind I remembered :3 Honestly the main thing that didn't feel authentic was how well the game ran. Since it's running off, essentially, the modern day WoW engine, it ran pretty dang smooth. I was waiting to find like, mobs stuck in evade and half-spawned inside terrain all over :P This wasn't the buggy mess I remember! :P hehehe

I wonder if they patched out the Blizzcon time limit because it never tried to kick me out. Maybe if I would have kept playing, but doing a couple quests was enough for me (honestly it's Westfall... even in vanilla that zone was kinda dull... wish the demo was Elwynn or something). Never really played Mage in vanilla but I might go with that this time. It was my original plan way way back when, but Rogue was a "new" class when I got into closed beta and I kinda fell in love with it at the time. It was even nice - I forgot to buy food and water (silly me thinking they'd actually put stuff in my bags for the demo....) but oh look, I can make my own! Yay I don't have to go back to town :3 Which is good because I could fight like 2 things before running out of mana. Which is a weird thing to be happy about, but it felt good somehow. Like, "oh, I can't just rush through this, pulling everything and AOEing it down... I have to actually take my time." There's something kind of wonderful about that feeling.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    edited November 2018

dont the timewalking rings have less secondaries because they have mainstat on them?

This is a super old example from legion but whatever

wUk1H6d.jpg

Yeah they have mainstats, and for freshly dinged characters they're usually the best rings because of that. Generally if it's an equal or better ilvl upgrade, you should always choose the timewalking ring.

edit: unless some specs have really lopsided stat preferences again.

Bliss 101 on
    MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    Vol'dun Loh report: still buggy as shit.

• Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    Oh Boy tomorrow's the day my DH gets her BoA 'mog from timewalking Black Temple.

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    Second week in a row my pvp chest has nothing but sadness

• Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    Ok maybe not today. BT scailing is a bit wonky in the Mother and Reliquary of Souls fights. Causing Way to much damage.

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    soylenthsoylenth Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    I'm leveling a mistdancer monk, and like most healing classes the dps rotation is not complex or all that fast. that said, there's a noticeable decrease in kill time moving into legion content. I'm at 98 again, but the transition just feels ... off. None of the major content transitions feel quite smooth in terms of difficulty. That said, as a healer I'm glad to be killing things relatively quickly.

Also, I'm glad they're looking at the leveling curve, because it feels ever more tedious at times. And dungeons don't really feel rewarding enough anymore to bother at 60+ levels. And the 20 minute wait time as healer suggests not too many people are running them anyway.

• Options
    soylenth wrote: »
    I'm leveling a mistdancer monk, and like most healing classes the dps rotation is not complex or all that fast. that said, there's a noticeable decrease in kill time moving into legion content. I'm at 98 again, but the transition just feels ... off. None of the major content transitions feel quite smooth in terms of difficulty. That said, as a healer I'm glad to be killing things relatively quickly.

Also, I'm glad they're looking at the leveling curve, because it feels ever more tedious at times. And dungeons don't really feel rewarding enough anymore to bother at 60+ levels. And the 20 minute wait time as healer suggests not too many people are running them anyway.

I don't understand why they still lock some dungeons to the max level for that respective expansion. Basically means nobody does them.

• Options
    soylenthsoylenth Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    I basically think they should steal roulettes from FF14. Leveling roulette, big once daily xp bonus, all dungeons at or beneath your level up for grabs, bonus varies to offset loss of dungeon mob xp for lower levels.

People get bored leveling in ff14 too, but they at least try to keep it fresh. they have whole alternative leveling content just to mix things up (Palace of the Dead for instance). I think WoW could REALLY use some fresh leveling side-content. I mean, it would be grindy, but what if island expeditions were semi-decent xp for leveling alts? I don't think that would be terrible. You could always go back to questing or dungeons if you get bored.

soylenth on
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Finally got Fetid tonight. Some raid members had good bonus rolls, but I got a rock as is tradition. The real kick in the pants was when two of the other hunters got the spear off Zek'voz tonight (hunter number three already had it), and I got skunked again.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    I basically think they should steal roulettes from FF14. Leveling roulette, big once daily xp bonus, all dungeons at or beneath your level up for grabs, bonus varies to offset loss of dungeon mob xp for lower levels.

People get bored leveling in ff14 too, but they at least try to keep it fresh. they have whole alternative leveling content just to mix things up (Palace of the Dead for instance). I think WoW could REALLY use some fresh leveling side-content. I mean, it would be grindy, but what if island expeditions were semi-decent xp for leveling alts? I don't think that would be terrible. You could always go back to questing or dungeons if you get bored.

They're significantly cutting xp requirements down, for what its worth.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Can someone explain something about Warcraft Logs to me? Sometimes when I click on an actual log, my parse %s are different than what I see on my character's summary. For example:

kufaz34tq1du.jpg
    fnalxbq3a3bo.jpg

What's going on here? (I have not futzed with the display settings in any way. This is just what you see as soon as you click in.)

hippofant on
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    Well, there's L120 #7, my Warrior.

I've decided that if there's one thing that I really hate about the leveling process right now, it's the extent to which I feel weaker with every level I get after L111. At L111 as a Warrior, I put on crafted gear, and I had no fear running into a pack of five mobs and smacking them around. Once the pack was down to one or two mobs, I'd just charge on to the next guy, and then another, just cheerfully cutting them all down. By L115 or so, that was less viable. By L119, that was suicide.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    Can someone explain something about Warcraft Logs to me? Sometimes when I click on an actual log, my parse %s are different than what I see on my character's summary. For example:

kufaz34tq1du.jpg
    fnalxbq3a3bo.jpg

What's going on here? (I have not futzed with the display settings in any way. This is just what you see as soon as you click in.)

IIRC its something like the difference between current, historical, and today.

The analyze portion of the log shows the ranking that you earned at the moment the log was uploaded.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/PZQp1NdYz7VgaLXr#fight=2&playermetric=hps&playermetrictimeframe=historical&type=healing

In this case I was 94/91

When you switch to rankings and make it historical
    https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/PZQp1NdYz7VgaLXr#fight=2&playermetric=hps&playermetrictimeframe=historical&view=rankings

I drop to 93/90 because, as far as I know, its comparing that parse to every other parse made that week rather than just the ones that were up at the time the log was uploaded.

Finally, changing it to "today"
    https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/PZQp1NdYz7VgaLXr#fight=2&playermetric=hps&playermetrictimeframe=today&view=rankings

I drop further to 91/90. Because now im being compared to every parse made this week (which means everyone has more gear than when this particular parse was recorded) and thus I fall even further.

You can have a great (at the time) ranking that looks garbage 3 weeks later when viewed under the "today" category.

• Options
    I would have thought that's what hist % meant.

• Options

I don't understand why they still lock some dungeons to the max level for that respective expansion. Basically means nobody does them.

Because people like goals to work towards, and unlocking a max-level only dungeon is a fun goal to work towards?

It also means Blizzard can balance the dungeon knowing that all participants are 120, and balance it against a specific minimum gear requirement, rather than trying to balance it against a scaling, moving target.

• Options
    Second week in a row my pvp chest has nothing but sadness

Mine was a phyrric victory. 370 weapon but my 500 conquest reward this week is basically the same weapon hehe oh well it was a big upgrade so I can't complain too much.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited November 2018

The real crime this expansion is locking away half the leveling dungeons based on your faction. Why yes, I love doing the same three (four at 115) dungeons over and over again, that's so much more fun than having six/seven dungeons to do.

reVerse on
This discussion has been closed.