As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Diablo 3] old thread is old

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    I enjoyed the second for a while, but there's only so long a necromancer ferret buddy can keep a person entertained.

• Options
    HexDexHexDex Registered User regular
    I loved Torchlight but I am suspicious of this because Runic died as a company...so what is this? Who is this? Shell of a couple people who now own the property trying to make a quick buck?

The wiki page sums it up pretty well:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torchlight_Frontiers

Long story short, the devs who were in runic who were primarily responsible for Torchlight left Runic before the studio was closed, and those guys are still behind the franchise at their current studio, Echtra Games.

It's a very Infinity Ward / Respawn Entertainment type scenario, but more amicable.

If you are reading this add me.
    D3: HexDex#1281, PSN: DireOtter, Live: DireOtter

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Noggin wrote: »
    I only beat the first one once and bounced of the second for some reason I can't remember. I should probably give it another try.

It was a fun playthrough at lower difficulties but their math was completely screwed up for high level play. Armor was subtractive so it was like enemies were doing 2,000,000 damage and your armor reduced it by 10,000 so you only took 1,990,000 damage and got one shot slightly less hard than otherwise.

The only character who could take a hit was the engineer who had a shield that absorbed all damage from the attack that broke it (so literally, you could take one hit).

I know it's tough to balance endgame difficulty but it's like they didn't even try. Felt un-playtested at that level. At least Diablo has some ways to survive at high levels.

Armor and damage mitigation of any kind was so pointless that it was something you just ignored entirely. Useless stat, everyone was eventually a glass cannon. Made stats like vitality pointless too, you knew at endgame you'd be dying in one hit regardless.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Hey Diablo Switch patch!

They made the icon not suck!

RAM5BhG.png

But apparently didn't fix necromancer curses yet!

But other small bugs I'm sure.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    lmao that original icon is like, the same one as the windows desktop shortcut for the game

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    I feel like "Release a poorly-designed/boring icon -> public outcry -> release an overly busy icon -> public placated" is the story of every single third-party Switch game.

What's up with Necromancer curses?

• Options
    I've run into more crashes with D3 on the Switch than I have with any other Switch game. Mostly it takes the form of me not being able to exit the inventory menu. I can control inside the menu no problem, but can't get back into the game. I've also had some freezes. The only fix is to close the game and restart. Then, after a restart, it sometimes wants to re-authenticate with the online service, but because I play on the subway it can't reach the online services and I can't get back to playing my Seasonal character.

• Options
    WaveformWaveform Registered User regular
    I'm playing a Whirlwind Barbarian for the first time ever this season, and it's like playing a completely different game.

All this time playing characters who have to, like, use their skills in combination to kill monsters or get around the map.

Why do any of that when you can just hold down the right mouse button and win, lol!

I know it's not exactly that simple, but it feels so fast and smooth it's incredible.

• Options
    KlatuKlatu Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi OiRegistered User regular
    It's definitely one of the least engaging to play and therefore easiest to just zone out and kill things. And it's even good up to 70s without any investment in ancients as long as you're leveling your gems as well. It just sucks when wrath accidentally wears out and you die instantly.

Steam id:Klatu - PS id: Klatu_PA - 3DS FC: 0920-0528-6680
  • Options
    Yeah I only have a couple Ancients and no Zodiac ring (so no permanent Wrath) and I just did a GR 60 in 6 minutes.

For defense I'm using Furious Charge to keep up a cubed Band of Might proc instead of IP.

• Options
    Delduwath wrote: »
    I feel like "Release a poorly-designed/boring icon -> public outcry -> release an overly busy icon -> public placated" is the story of every single third-party Switch game.

What's up with Necromancer curses?

They just plain stop working after using them a little bit, just stop applying the icon/effect. Restarting the game makes them work again. Funnily enough I have never had need of them on this playthrough! The only thing that works is the one that curses everyone in an aura around you.

Apparently there's also an issue with one of the monk abilities too but it's more sketchy/unpredictable as to whether it's a real problem or just a display issue.
    I've run into more crashes with D3 on the Switch than I have with any other Switch game. Mostly it takes the form of me not being able to exit the inventory menu. I can control inside the menu no problem, but can't get back into the game. I've also had some freezes. The only fix is to close the game and restart. Then, after a restart, it sometimes wants to re-authenticate with the online service, but because I play on the subway it can't reach the online services and I can't get back to playing my Seasonal character.

My game has only crashed once, yesterday it randomly did the "a software error has occurred and it must be closed."

However I noticed early on that if I quit to the menu and put the Switch to sleep and then resumed play (which I did a number of times), the menu music seemed to persist and overlay on top of the game, which weirded me out so I've been closing the game completely between plays/days. Quitting completely and not putting the game to sleep seems to prevent crashes, it's sleep mode that's doing it for sure. The one time it crashed yesterday was after resuming.

• Options
    edited November 2018
    Oh yay, just noticed the most recent comic is for us! :P
    i-mPnzRQg-2100x20000.jpg

Yeah, perma wrath with make a big difference and if you can keep your gems levelled it will make your life super easy.

If you want a little bit more busy play with a barb, leap-quake barbs are hella fun. Charge builds too. Shit most of the barb builds are fun to play, just not as fast as other classes.

Klatu on
  • Options
    I want to play the laziest, easiest 1 button endgame builds. Which characters are best for this? Barb and crusader?

I heard wizard is highly technical and deals with a lot of cooldowns and timing. But as a result they are also tuned to be always at the top for pushing higher rifts.

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    So all my friends got Diablo 3 on the switch, so of course I brought Diablo 3....for the 4th time.

Honestly, I like Diablo 3. It’s a really good sit on the couch with friends and bullshit about nothing in particular game. A game to eat a slice of pizza and watch numbers get bigger.

But, my biggest complaint about Diablo 3 is that it kind of lost it soul. I remember when I first played Diablo and I was afraid. The sheer amount of horror and gore and dread that game presented was like nothing else at the time. I also love the idea that you’re just an average joe going down that basement to fight against the forces of hell. None of the nephelim (or whatever the fuck) bullshit. Just Man vs Satan, because Haven doesn’t give a shit.

The same goes with Diablo 2. That game was ahead of its time in every way except graphics.

I honestly wish I could go back and play those games, but I have a feeling it’s a painful ordeal now that I’m used to playing Diablo 3 on a leaning back on a couch with a controller.

• Options
    So all my friends got Diablo 3 on the switch, so of course I brought Diablo 3....for the 4th time.

Honestly, I like Diablo 3. It’s a really good sit on the couch with friends and bullshit about nothing in particular game. A game to eat a slice of pizza and watch numbers get bigger.

But, my biggest complaint about Diablo 3 is that it kind of lost it soul. I remember when I first played Diablo and I was afraid. The sheer amount of horror and gore and dread that game presented was like nothing else at the time. I also love the idea that you’re just an average joe going down that basement to fight against the forces of hell. None of the nephelim (or whatever the fuck) bullshit. Just Man vs Satan, because Haven doesn’t give a shit.

The same goes with Diablo 2. That game was ahead of its time in every way except graphics.

I honestly wish I could go back and play those games, but I have a feeling it’s a painful ordeal now that I’m used to playing Diablo 3 on a leaning back on a couch with a controller.

And I've been saying this in the thread earlier, but I think crucially you don't know what awaits you at the bottom of that pit. You've heard rumors and stories, and find more in ancient tomes on the way down. But Diablo doesn't pop up scrying portals every 5 minutes to taunt you and say "so you killed my Butcher? Never mind, he was weak anyway. You did me a favor. You shall die to my other minions!"

Same applied to Andariel, Duriel, Mephisto. It was Lovecraftian. Fear of the unknown is the best kind of fear.

• Options
    I want to play the laziest, easiest 1 button endgame builds. Which characters are best for this? Barb and crusader?

I heard wizard is highly technical and deals with a lot of cooldowns and timing. But as a result they are also tuned to be always at the top for pushing higher rifts.

Wizards don't really have to deal with cooldowns and timings, unless you want to push for the highest of rifts.
    This is my slacker wizard: https://us.diablo3.com/en/profile/See317-1508/hero/98534099
    I'm missing an Etched Sigil to equip, so I can use my Twisted Sword and put the Grand Vizier in the cube.

Play style is to hit 2,3 and 4 every couple of minutes (they run for 10 minutes each), then just hold down the attack button and mouse around the screen. The Etched Sigil automatically casts the Meteor and Energy Twister spells as I channel, between the Storm Armor, Familiar and Magic Weapon skills I never worry about running low on Arcane Power. The hat I've got cubed gives me an additional fire attack which helps trigger off the Firebird armor effects to melt stuff around me.

Granted, it's not optimized at all, and I'm sure I could find better options for the belt and the cubed ring, but it's a fun build if you're not into timing and button clicking and just want to make things burn.

• Options
    Inarius bonestorm necro is about the laziest you can build:
    This the GR Variant, for T13 switch out the belt for Goldwrap, aquilia, boon combo. Usually i'd wear full inarus, stewarts in cube, wear goldwrap, aquilia in cube.

Whirlwind Barb:
    Standard WW barb build, nothing special. Keep wrath up and charge every so often to keep survivability buff up.

Multishot DH is pretty cruisy:
    Keep Vengence up and shoot things.

Vyrs Wizard:
    can maybe make the list based on the fact it revolves around being in archon most of the time and archon has 2-3 abilities.

• Options
    soylenthsoylenth Portland, ORRegistered User regular

And I've been saying this in the thread earlier, but I think crucially you don't know what awaits you at the bottom of that pit. You've heard rumors and stories, and find more in ancient tomes on the way down. But Diablo doesn't pop up scrying portals every 5 minutes to taunt you and say "so you killed my Butcher? Never mind, he was weak anyway. You did me a favor. You shall die to my other minions!"

Same applied to Andariel, Duriel, Mephisto. It was Lovecraftian. Fear of the unknown is the best kind of fear.

The "Aaaaah, Fresh meat!" as the butcher runs towards you and starts slicing you up is still one of the scariest moments I've ever had in gaming. Was not quite expecting THAT.

• Options
    soylenthsoylenth Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Also, I agree the nephelem aspect kinda took out a chunk of the horror aspect. The very frail human looking into the face of evil (and inevitably succumbing by jamming a crystal into their own forehead!) was much scarier in general. Even D2 managed to preserve some kind of atmosphere of intimidation in the face of larger, more mysterious forces. D3 by contrast is kind of, "I killed death, lol" or "haha, more angels, whatever."

Like, there's just a categorical difference to "hail the nephelem wreathed in glory" and "I killed the devil but cannot stop listening to the whispers in this crystal." Like, it might get old, but I love the idea that Diablo always corrupts the hero of the previous games. I hope they do D4 and I hope they bring a little of the bleakness back to everything. Or maybe reboot? I'm not sure where they can go after killing death.

Or hell, just keep the gameplay mechanics and slap a whole new story/setting on it. Make Starcraft a dungeon crawler and Diablo an RTS or MMO. Idk, GO CRAZY.

• Options
    Maltheal was actually just Death of Rats and the game interpreted all his SQUEAKS as normal human speach. Next game we'll fight the real death. And probably PringerDiablo-X

• Options
    E.CoyoteE.Coyote Registered User regular
    WoL monk has to be up there for mindless murdering too.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    I loved Torchlight but I am suspicious of this because Runic died as a company...so what is this? Who is this? Shell of a couple people who now own the property trying to make a quick buck?

Max Schaefer is now leading Torchlight Frontier, he was the CEO of Runic when they made Torchlight 1 & 2. After TL2 he had Runic working on an different idea, and he ended up leaving Runic to realize that idea as Rebel Galaxy. When Schaefer left, Runic ditched what they had been working on before and instead created Hob. After Hob flopped Perfect World shut down Runic, but Schaefer was long gone before then.

I don't know who Schaefer brought along with him if anyone, (I think at least Matt Uleman?) but there isn't a more qualified person to lead this project at least.

Runic was public about planning a Torchlight MMO right after TL1's release as a long-term goal but they changed direction for whatever reason. The MMO is likely the main reason PW bought them in the first place and yeah, they want that check cashed, but hopefully Max and whoever else have a vision they want to see finally realized too.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    soylenth wrote: »

The "Aaaaah, Fresh meat!" as the butcher runs towards you and starts slicing you up is still one of the scariest moments I've ever had in gaming. Was not quite expecting THAT.

Duriel in D2 was the same way, although partly from technical bullshit.

You enter a portal to get to his lair, and by the time you've loaded in he's already charged you and you're probably close to death. Surprise!

• Options
    Multishot DH is very lazy, and easy to achieve. Check it out:
    - The Unhallowed Essence set that you get from the Season Journey increases your defense AND damage with its set bonuses. The 6-piece bonus says "Your generators, Multishot, and Vengeance deal 100% increased damage for every point of Discipline you have." I have 83 points of max Discipline, so 8300% increased damage.
    - Yang's Recurve (bow) says "Multishot attacks 50% faster and its damage is increased by [150 - 200]%. (Demon Hunter Only)" (Mine is 191%)
    - Dead Man's Legacy (quiver, the DH-only offhand) says "Multishot hits enemies below 60% health twice and its damage is increased by [150 - 200]%. (Demon Hunter Only)" (Mine is 153%)

That's it, that's the basis of it. The set you get for free and two more items will get you to T10, probably. Just cover the screen in Multishot arrows and watch things melt.

Then you can think about:
    - Dawn (hand crossbow) goes in the cube; it says "Reduce the cooldown of Vengeance by [50 - 65]%. (Demon Hunter Only)"
    - Biggest diamond goes into the helm.
    - Roll cooldown reduction on shoulders, bow, and quiver.
    - Supplement with paragon points.
    When you get those high enough (it was much easier than I thought), you can get permanent uptime on Vengeance - Seethe, which gives you more damage and "Gain 10 Hatred per second." to fuel the Multishots.

I ended up pretty squishy, and need to run the immortal follower + Unity combo, but I am doing T12 with no effort. The typical experience is: shoot down a corridor twice, walk for the length of a screen, find a legendary and Death's Breaths on the floor. Oh, I guess there was an elite here? I never even saw them. Anyway, let's shoot twice, walk forward again.

• Options
    And this is with a very lazily optimized item set. I have a lot of useless bonuses I need to reroll.

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    To add to the damage output roll more Discipline on your gear instead of cooldown on some of them (I know that quiver has it). Also cube Cindercoat to put out more damage and Ellusive Ring for more defense. Run a good Hellfire, Convention of Elements and Ring of Jordon for more Discipline.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    Right now I have Pride's Fall cubed for cheaper Multishots, but I might not need it; Cindercoat is definitely on my most-wanted list. What would you recommend as the Hellfire Amulet passive? I got Ballistics and decided to stick with it because Vengeance and Multishot - Arsenal have rockets, and a lot of other DH builds use it too.

• Options
    Yep Ballistics is nice. Basically anything that gives you more damage.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    soylenth wrote: »
    Also, I agree the nephelem aspect kinda took out a chunk of the horror aspect. The very frail human looking into the face of evil (and inevitably succumbing by jamming a crystal into their own forehead!) was much scarier in general. Even D2 managed to preserve some kind of atmosphere of intimidation in the face of larger, more mysterious forces. D3 by contrast is kind of, "I killed death, lol" or "haha, more angels, whatever."

Like, there's just a categorical difference to "hail the nephelem wreathed in glory" and "I killed the devil but cannot stop listening to the whispers in this crystal." Like, it might get old, but I love the idea that Diablo always corrupts the hero of the previous games. I hope they do D4 and I hope they bring a little of the bleakness back to everything. Or maybe reboot? I'm not sure where they can go after killing death.

Or hell, just keep the gameplay mechanics and slap a whole new story/setting on it. Make Starcraft a dungeon crawler and Diablo an RTS or MMO. Idk, GO CRAZY.

I mean look at the imagery in Diablo 1

NSFW gory Diablo 1 picture
    diablo-the-butcher.jpg

You'll never see that in a Blizzard game, ever gain.

• Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular

You can play the original Diablo on the couch with a controller. It was ported to the PSX.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    To be fair, Convention of Elements does force you to pay a little more attention and reduces the mindlessness of playing a build.

• Options
    PoketpixiePoketpixie Siege Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Betsuni wrote: »
    To add to the damage output roll more Discipline on your gear instead of cooldown on some of them (I know that quiver has it). Also cube Cindercoat to put out more damage and Ellusive Ring for more defense. Run a good Hellfire, Convention of Elements and Ring of Jordon for more Discipline.

This. You can get discipline on your bow, quiver, and chestpiece(and Stone of Jordan if you have it).

I've been running Visage of Gunes in the cube and then using Seethe with Vengeance. Between that and the Bat companion I seem to have enough Hatred and defense is ok. I have Wraps of Clarity but I usually forget to use them.

Poketpixie on
  • Options
    see317 wrote: »

Wizards don't really have to deal with cooldowns and timings, unless you want to push for the highest of rifts.
    This is my slacker wizard: https://us.diablo3.com/en/profile/See317-1508/hero/98534099
    I'm missing an Etched Sigil to equip, so I can use my Twisted Sword and put the Grand Vizier in the cube.

Play style is to hit 2,3 and 4 every couple of minutes (they run for 10 minutes each), then just hold down the attack button and mouse around the screen. The Etched Sigil automatically casts the Meteor and Energy Twister spells as I channel, between the Storm Armor, Familiar and Magic Weapon skills I never worry about running low on Arcane Power. The hat I've got cubed gives me an additional fire attack which helps trigger off the Firebird armor effects to melt stuff around me.

Granted, it's not optimized at all, and I'm sure I could find better options for the belt and the cubed ring, but it's a fun build if you're not into timing and button clicking and just want to make things burn.

Once again the tactic of "Whine about gear you need on the forums" pays off, and the Etched Sigil dropped for me last night.
    Fire tornadoes everywhere.

• Options
    forty wrote: »
    To be fair, Convention of Elements does force you to pay a little more attention and reduces the mindlessness of playing a build.

Eh, only if you are a min/maxer. I wear it and just don't care. It adds damage with the fire pops, but just is there when it isn't.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    forty wrote: »
    Yeah, I see this ring being included in a lot of builds that try to squeeze every last bit of performance, and I have to admit that I just don't have it in me to watch a little square on the bottom of the screen to determine when I should unload on an elite or whatever. If this was WoW and I could install a UI mod that put a visual aura on my character when CoE cycled to the desired element (like what I can do with WeakAuras 2), I might run it. Fortunately, I'm not really concerned about pushing grifts, so I'm perfectly fine running a non-optimal build if it means I get to have a more laid-back experience.

Turns out I had a Cindercoat sitting in my "stuff to eventually cube" stash tab, so I popped that in last night. I guess when your primary damage-dealer is a fire skill, Cindercoat turns into a strictly-better Pride's Fall (which is what I had cubed before), so it works nicely. I'm also pretty lucky in that I have both the required +Discipline rolls and the +cooldown reduction necessary for perma-Vengeance. I do need to reroll the +Discipline on one piece - I had one +12 to begin with, I upgraded a +10 into a +12 last night, and I have a +11 hanging around.

Haven't come across a Stone of Jordan yet, though, so that would probably be a nice upgrade.

My biggest issue right now is less damage and more squishiness. Most of the time, I'm OK as enemies die before they get to me. Sometimes, though, an Act 5 mob jumps on top of me from across the screen and one-shots me, or I'll click a shrine, spawn an elite pack, and they immediately alpha strike me since I'm right in the middle of them. That's the main reason I don't do T13 yet - I can mostly do the required damage, but things one-shot me much more frequently.

• Options
    To be honest, that's UE in a nutshell. You can do less damage and more defense if you want to run the other format which is the Traveller's Pledge and Compass Rose build.

Or you can join the dark side and run Shadow. Lots of hopping around (Vault) and throwing sharp pointy things at monsters. You're defensive as all heck, pinpoint damage and no AoE type destruction.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    One useful survivability tool that I'm using is the amulet that lets you ignore fire damage. The main use is that it lets me just completely ignore the "reflect damage" affix, because Multishot - Arsenal does fire damage, so when it gets reflected back it does nothing, but the other nice thing is that it lets me ignore the fire-explosions-upon-death thing that 3 out of 4 elite packs seem to have.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    In fairness the newer story style is more in tune with how Diablo endgame typically goes. I mean nothing says "average joe" like teleporting everywhere and wiping rooms with one chain lightning or frozen orb.

• Options
    edited November 2018
    One useful survivability tool that I'm using is the amulet that lets you ignore fire damage. The main use is that it lets me just completely ignore the "reflect damage" affix, because Multishot - Arsenal does fire damage, so when it gets reflected back it does nothing, but the other nice thing is that it lets me ignore the fire-explosions-upon-death thing that 3 out of 4 elite packs seem to have.

That sounds awesome. I had an ignore arcane amulet for a while just because it was the strongest thing I had and I could walk right through the spinning pink lasers. I also used the ignore movement impairing boots for a long time, ignore freeze, webs, prisons, it's great.

The last thing I need to do for the season now is kill all the bosses in 20 minutes. Starting to look into all that, augmenting blood rush and maybe using boots like that again...

I got to greater rift 82 ish. Not sure how much further I can go or if I really need to.

In fairness the newer story style is more in tune with how Diablo endgame typically goes. I mean nothing says "average joe" like teleporting everywhere and wiping rooms with one chain lightning or frozen orb.

That doesn't have much to do with the story, though. First playthrough was always traditionally weak, using white and blue items, scraping along and having a tough time at various points. Yeah you can wipe rooms with chain lightning in Diablo 1 but you're chugging potions to be able to do so and still barely dodging and surviving enemy attacks, missiles etc. Doesn't matter what you're doing later in nightmare or hell or torment.

Like when someone says "the game was moody and scary, when I opened that door and the Butcher charged at me," that is an experience not replicated in Diablo 3, when you walk through a door and some evil person cackles but you're feeling pretty confident that you can win this easily.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    Can you even die in normal difficulty Diablo 3? The game doesn’t get challenging till late torment difficulty, and I don’t think I’ve ever played a character at normal difficulty now that I think about it.