As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Magic The Gathering: Arena] Your favorite CCG in a F2P format you can spend thousands on!

• Options
    furbatfurbat Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    So what are the odds of drawing 5 forests in a row and then losing. Because it seems about 50% today.

furbat on
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Probably better than the odds people stop complaining about a system that isn't changing

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    As someone who enjoys streaming MTG and wants to do it more regularly, what do people want to see out of their streamers? Drafting tips? Constructed advice? Weird brews and attempts to win with them?

I've had a hard time evaluating my mill deck in the regular ladder since it goes up against so many things that are weird and definitely not T1 decks.

Drafting tips. Although I think I have a good perception of value, I think I'm worse later in the draft when I should be evaluating based on what I have and not just in a vacuum. Also I think I have a problem where I open something ridiculous in pack 2 and I'm like "well now I gotta make this work" and then it's too hard to force.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Another set of losses to the U/B deck. Who isn't playing it these days? Unfortunately it seems to counter my Merfolk deck pretty handily, and without any other decks or Wildcards to fall back on, I'm looking to be out of luck.

Nevermind, just played some more games and found myself getting more and more frustrated. Went ahead and uninstalled. Fun game for a time, definitely something there, I just don't want to put the money or grind into the game. Better off playing things that make me happy.

Thanks for all the help and protips to get started.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    ChaosHat wrote: »
    As someone who enjoys streaming MTG and wants to do it more regularly, what do people want to see out of their streamers? Drafting tips? Constructed advice? Weird brews and attempts to win with them?

I've had a hard time evaluating my mill deck in the regular ladder since it goes up against so many things that are weird and definitely not T1 decks.

Drafting tips. Although I think I have a good perception of value, I think I'm worse later in the draft when I should be evaluating based on what I have and not just in a vacuum. Also I think I have a problem where I open something ridiculous in pack 2 and I'm like "well now I gotta make this work" and then it's too hard to force.

That's a very easy trap to fall into. A pack 2 pick 2 niv-mizzet when you're in Selesnya or something can be extremely tempting but is probably a really bad choice. Definitely tricky to suss that one out. I'm certainly going to do more draft streaming in the future. With the ability to spend gold to earn gems via the regular draft I've more or less gone infinite in that category. If I do competitive it'll burn through my gems right quick though. Unless I do particularly well, of course.

• Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Another set of losses to the U/B deck. Who isn't playing it these days? Unfortunately it seems to counter my Merfolk deck pretty handily, and without any other decks or Wildcards to fall back on, I'm looking to be out of luck.

Nevermind, just played some more games and found myself getting more and more frustrated. Went ahead and uninstalled. Fun game for a time, definitely something there, I just don't want to put the money or grind into the game. Better off playing things that make me happy.

Thanks for all the help and protips to get started.

I found Merfolk usually does well with Spell Pierce and/or Dive Down to protect key pieces and counter board-wipes. If you're getting too frustrated to play though, s'understandable. Knowing the cards your opponent is likely to play is a big part of understanding the metagame and altering your playstyle accordingly.

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    I find it basically impossible to turn off my naked cash grab rare draft instincts from paper magic.

I will take Niv-Mizzet like, 90% of the time as a pack 2 pick 2. I won’t play him but I will grab that money card fo sho

Though probably less so now since he’s dropped to a $3-4 rare

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options

That's a very easy trap to fall into. A pack 2 pick 2 niv-mizzet when you're in Selesnya or something can be extremely tempting but is probably a really bad choice. Definitely tricky to suss that one out. I'm certainly going to do more draft streaming in the future. With the ability to spend gold to earn gems via the regular draft I've more or less gone infinite in that category. If I do competitive it'll burn through my gems right quick though. Unless I do particularly well, of course.

Niv I realize is probably too dang hard to do unless you're already in at least one of the colors. Usually what happens is I start off with something that overlaps like say, getting some good Boros my way when I started Selesnya and then trying to make it into some sort of tri color thing. I'm realizing that it's bad to go three colors without a very good reason, and you should either keep it to just a splash or fully transition, but that's a hard call to make. Or maybe I need to value guildgates higher.

• Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular

Niv I realize is probably too dang hard to do unless you're already in at least one of the colors. Usually what happens is I start off with something that overlaps like say, getting some good Boros my way when I started Selesnya and then trying to make it into some sort of tri color thing. I'm realizing that it's bad to go three colors without a very good reason, and you should either keep it to just a splash or fully transition, but that's a hard call to make. Or maybe I need to value guildgates higher.

This happened on my last stream as we went golgari with izoni p1p1 then sometime shortly after saw conclave cavalier. took it just in case we got enough other selesnya to make it work but we most definitely did not and ended up straight golgari.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »
    I find it basically impossible to turn off my naked cash grab rare draft instincts from paper magic.

I will take Niv-Mizzet like, 90% of the time as a pack 2 pick 2. I won’t play him but I will grab that money card fo sho

Though probably less so now since he’s dropped to a $3-4 rare

I will take every chance to play Niv I can. He’s so much fun to play.
    He’s especially fun in the drakes sideboard to come in against control. I took someone from 15 to zero using ability triggers alone the other day.

• Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    i consider rare drafting in the value context of mtga, which is that all rares cost the same amount
    except if you have 4 of it already, in which case it is "very cheap"
    if it actually goes in a deck you want to build, it is "expensive"

i've raredrafted uncommons in mtga
    because i'm greedy sometimes

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Honestly Uncommon wild cards are the ones i run out of the most

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    How do you guys export/show your draft decks? I'm a bit stuck on how to proceed.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    I made an elfball deck and its pretty hilarious

• Options
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    How do you guys export/show your draft decks? I'm a bit stuck on how to proceed.

Click on the deck in in the place where it shows all your decks. Don't doubleclick it or go in to edit the deck, just select it. Then at the bottom there are export/import buttons.

• Options

Click on the deck in in the place where it shows all your decks. Don't doubleclick it or go in to edit the deck, just select it. Then at the bottom there are export/import buttons.

Even for draft? Seems like clicking takes me into edit.

• Options

Even for draft? Seems like clicking takes me into edit.

Doesn't work for draft, for drafting your best best is to take a screenshot with the windows snip tool in the laid out by curve horizontal view

• Options
    edited November 2018
    Alright, here we go.

https://imgur.com/a/Ad6TIQy

Not pictured

Command the Storm
    Street Riot

in the sideboard.

Edit: I'm three over and not confident in the cuts I made.

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    Hmm.

Build Rakdos Burn. Enter Constructed Events. Go 7/x in three of them in a row.

Deck's legit.

ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    i'd drop sure strike, inspiring unicorn, and a hammer dropper.
    combat tricks are usually expendable, not enough cheap guys to make inspiring unicorn worthwhile, hammer dropper trades with 2 drops.

you have a lot of 4's, like no 3's, and not enough 2s to really compensate?
    your top end is also big finishers, hmmmm. might swap an inescapable blaze for a command the storm.

• Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular

I definitely lean towards watching drafts, but it's mostly just because it's the format where people actually explain their decision-making. Weird brews are great, but people lean so much on the novelty they often fail to explain why they are making the choices they make when they play.

Not that I expect every attack to be super thought out, but I find it interesting to hear why people might mulligan/sideboard etc. A lot of streamers just click through, and if I wanted to watch people get punished for bad, unexplained plays, I'd fire up the client myself.

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Going 6-2 with this non-forced Boros deck, which I still thought was not great (not a lot on the low mana side):
    wu62dx5ovv8j.png
    Not pictured are a cut Bubblebelt Boar and Gravitic Punch
    I also appear to have a full set of Risk Factors now, so rare drafting appears to be working for me.

(Previous draft I forced a worse Boros deck because I wanted to Boros and it went 3-3 I think.)

discrider on
  • Options
    FiskebentFiskebent DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Ooh... I got a Doom Whisperer from one of the single card rewards today.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    Ilpala wrote: »

This happened on my last stream as we went golgari with izoni p1p1 then sometime shortly after saw conclave cavalier. took it just in case we got enough other selesnya to make it work but we most definitely did not and ended up straight golgari.
    I actually had Find/Finality p1p1 in my last draft and similarly took a Conclave Cavalier fairly early on as well, thinking of said stream as I did so.

And then also ended up playing just straight Golgari.

Probably very much the right call in both cases.

• Options
    cncaudatacncaudata Registered User regular

For me, the weird-brews stuff is really not helpful. I absolutely get that if a streamer can build a community it can be a fun watching experience, but I watch streams to see how to succeed, get ideas for myself, etc. Weird brews just show me a bunch of rares and mythics that I'll never spend my wildcards on.

I really like draft videos (especially if they're saved as videos so I can actually watch the whole draft, coming in during game 4 of a draft often feels worthless). Constructed play with the stuff that's hard to practice - sideboarding certain matchups, etc. is also really helpful, as I don't get a chance to do that myself.

In other news, last three drafts were 4-3, 4-3, 7-1. That's a 15-7 record, or 68% win rate, and overall I lost 400 gems (lose 300 on a 4-3 run, gain 200 on a 7 win run). I have to kind of remind myself that of course you can't go infinite playing at 50% because then no one would ever spend money, but it feels "meh" to have what is a really great run for me and then still have to wait around to draft again until I can save up gold.

PSN: Broodax- battle.net: broodax#1163
  • Options
    Opponent ABSOLUTELY wins the game on his turn. He's got three blue mana open, two more blue and a red tapped. He just played a sonic assault and swung in with everything to put me at two. All I have in my hand right now is a sonic assault and a sure strike. He'll untap and just sonic assault me and he's at 12 life. So, I take my turn...draw the card. It's fucking gravitic punch the only card that could have possibly won the game, I untap, sure strike, swing for 7, gravitic punch him in the face and it's basically the best victory anyone has achieved in the history of the world.

My god awful Izzet Aggro But Wait I Got Carried Away And Drafted 11 Creatures Only Oops deck is undefeated right now. Other highlights include selective snare for four humans to return two tokens and the 1RW flying haste and the 1W 2/2 first strike mentor to set him back enough for the win.

• Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    This was the most amazing game. See if you can figure out why!

52012nz7rhco.png
    (Hint: they conceded after trying to play that kicked Fight Fire With Fire.)
    They actually could have killed me with it two turns earlier, but for some reason they decided to play "dump everything via Experimental Frenzy."
    Then I drew Shalai, Voice of Fuck You.

Surfpossum on
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    So here's the deck from above; I'm 3-1 so far today, and boy howdy it is fun to play. Much thanks to everyone who pointed out that Journey to Eternity exists, that card is baller as heck.

1m4s3pmr47sj.png

Based on how it's been running, I'm thinking I might take the Saproling Migrations and maybe Slimefoots out and either bump up some other numbers to 4 or try some cheap ETB dudes (I could really use some lifegain early on to smoothe the transition into midgame, it feels like).

Surfpossum on
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    cncaudata wrote: »

For me, the weird-brews stuff is really not helpful. I absolutely get that if a streamer can build a community it can be a fun watching experience, but I watch streams to see how to succeed, get ideas for myself, etc. Weird brews just show me a bunch of rares and mythics that I'll never spend my wildcards on.

I really like draft videos (especially if they're saved as videos so I can actually watch the whole draft, coming in during game 4 of a draft often feels worthless). Constructed play with the stuff that's hard to practice - sideboarding certain matchups, etc. is also really helpful, as I don't get a chance to do that myself.

In other news, last three drafts were 4-3, 4-3, 7-1. That's a 15-7 record, or 68% win rate, and overall I lost 400 gems (lose 300 on a 4-3 run, gain 200 on a 7 win run). I have to kind of remind myself that of course you can't go infinite playing at 50% because then no one would ever spend money, but it feels "meh" to have what is a really great run for me and then still have to wait around to draft again until I can save up gold.

My understanding is that the draft payout is mediocre, but it allows you to turn gold into gems. The competitive draft though has a really good rate of return but the buy in is 1500 gems. Competitive constructed looks really good too. You just need to get 2 wins to get your gold back. Seems like they really want to incentivize Bo3 over Bo1.

furbat on
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    milski wrote: »
    Probably better than the odds people stop complaining about a system that isn't changing

And if you're looking for a sure thing as long as that system keeps fucking people over we're probably going to have to keep dealing with people complaining when it fucks them over ;-)

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    So I went from crafting multiple vraska 4s, to taking them out of my deck in lieu of more potent threats, to putting her back in.

The meta in Bo1 constructed events is RDW, white weeny, boros weeny, tempo U, drakes, golgari, dimir, tokens, and the ocasional rando deck. She's pretty terrible in drakes, but she can do work on turn 3-4 in the other match ups. She is especially good in golgari mirrors as she is likely to take out a high priority target like midnight reaper/wildgrowth walker AND eat a removal spell like assassin's trophy or vraska's contempt.

Late game she's great because of the card draw.

What's been working for me in best of 1, is to run a super low to the ground golgari list with my only end game threats being 2x vraska 4, 2x vivien, and 2x vraska 6. I don't run any other cards over 4 mana. I also run 4x wildgrowth walkers and 3x midnight reapers. Those being the two strongest cards in the deck.

I tried pretty much every variation of the deck, but cards like carnage tyrant, eldest reborn, and doom whispers are just not needed. You can just go really wide and use finds to keep a couple of walkers on the board. Midnight reaper is also a good sponge for removal.

I pretty much always lose to jeskai but that deck just doesn't exist in Bo1.

• Options
    BoomerAang SquadBoomerAang Squad Registered User regular
    Ten minutes into crafting the Mono Blue deck, and I've already done some bullshit lived the dream.

Four Curious Obsessions on one Mist-Cloaked Herald.

Off of a one lander keep.

Against Mono Red.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Ten minutes into crafting the Mono Blue deck, and I've already done some bullshit lived the dream.

Against Mono Red.

I was mad up until the last line.

• Options
    Surfpossum wrote: »
    So here's the deck from above; I'm 3-1 so far today, and boy howdy it is fun to play. Much thanks to everyone who pointed out that Journey to Eternity exists, that card is baller as heck.

1m4s3pmr47sj.png

Based on how it's been running, I'm thinking I might take the Saproling Migrations and maybe Slimefoots out and either bump up some other numbers to 4 or try some cheap ETB dudes (I could really use some lifegain early on to smoothe the transition into midgame, it feels like).

I really don't see any point to running Legion's Landings on such a small amount of white sources. Sure, it can still flip for value later, but it's not gonna act as a 1 drop at all consistently

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    milski wrote: »
    Surfpossum wrote: »

1m4s3pmr47sj.png

I really don't see any point to running Legion's Landings on such a small amount of white sources. Sure, it can still flip for value later, but it's not gonna act as a 1 drop at all consistently
    I've probably just been lucky so far, but I've definitely enjoyed playing them so they're gonna stay. I do plan on adding more duals at some point because yeah, the mana base is a bit rough, but I quite like the splash for the Landings and Shalai.

And this way I can squeeze a copy of Trostani Discordant in.

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular

Against Mono Red.

Well.
    I played a Mountain and Shocked a Siren which was having a Curious Obsession attached to it T2.

That player conceded immediately.

I'm not sure why Monored did not mulligan until they have a Shock in hand.

• Options
    discrider wrote: »

Against Mono Red.

Well.
    I played a Mountain and Shocked a Siren which was having a Curious Obsession attached to it T2.

Because mulliganing an aggro deck to fish for interaction is a really bad idea, especially against unknown decks?

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    i used to get mad about my opponents getting insane draws

now i just emote "Nice!"

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Lucedes wrote: »
    i used to get mad about my opponents getting insane draws

now i just emote "Nice!"

This has been my theory. I try to focus on them getting a great draw rather than how fucked I am.

Still want an option to turn off the results screen though :P

• Options
    discrider wrote: »

Against Mono Red.

Well.

There's an argument for shocking immediately and passing up the possible 2-for-1 because if they untap, play an island, and play Curious Obsession... then your Shock can run into a Dive Down and Oh Well.

ew9y0DD.png
This discussion has been closed.