As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

It is 2019! Let us all huddle around the [cooking] fire and reminisce.

Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMABaton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
edited February 2019 in Social Entropy++
Hey! Do you like food? Yeah. Me too. Making it and sharing it with people is magical, yeah?

Talk about it

Erin The Red on

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I just purchased a sausage stuffer. I have on hand a couple lbs of venison and pork fat. In addition to that, I'm going to buy 10lbs of pork butt in the next week. There will be a LOT of sausage gifted this christmas!

• V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Food is pretty delicious!

This christmas, I'm going to be on my own. 11 days of sweet, sweet peace.

My menu plan is as follows. Note that, whereas cooking up leftovers is the highest and most beautiful expression of the culinary arts, this scheme is specifically designed to generate said leftovers.

Christmas Eve: (Lunch): Celeriac/Celery/potato soup, cheese and crackers. (Dinner) Butterflied chicken, with butter, minced garlic and thyme under the skin and lots of Cornish sea salt and pepper on top of it, roasted on a bed of chestnut mushrooms and shallots, steamed shredded kale cooked with olive oil, juniper and a pinch of caraway, baked King Edward potatoes, a bottle of white burgundy.

Christmas Day: (Brunch) bubble and squeak, duck eggs fried in butter, mushrooms, a slice of really good bacon. (Dinner) A big fat Rib eye steak (reverse-seared), watercress and spinach salad, home made bread rolls, a bottle of good claret. (Supper) More of that soup. As much port as I can get down before hitting the wall.

Boxing Day: Gammon leg, slow cooked in sweet cider then pulled out, dried off, patted with muscavado sugar, cloves, pepper, and then flash roasted for 20 minutes as hot as the oven will go. Bell peppers, fennel, red onions slow-roasted in the oven with olive oil, fennel seeds black olives and anchovies. More bread rolls. A bottle of, now hear me out on this one, Vino Verde. (Supper) Treacle ginger pudding topped with maple-soaked walnuts, whipped cream, a glass or three of amontillado sherry.

27th-1st Jan: Snacking off leftovers, cheese, and home made bread. Drinking cocktails and not giving a shit.

2nd: Back to work, I guess. Ryvita, lo-fat cottage cheese, undressed salad and celery forever.

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Today I am baking bread, making baked ziti for lunches this week, and a pot of chili for dinners. Seems appropriate for the first hard freeze of the season and upcoming snow.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • SalSal Damnedest Little Fellow Registered User regular
    Tried my hand at chicken fried steak tonight:

sUXrGQQ.jpg?1

This can't be anything other than extremely unhealthy, but good lord was it delicious

xet8c.gif

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I'm baking apple cinnamon mini muffins. They're in the oven now.
    gonna stab the tops and drizzle them with a jus made from stewed apples, more cinnamon, sugar, and brandy.

Is that gravy with extra burnt crispy bits or some kind of sauce? Either way it looks delicious.

GDdCWMm.jpg
    done and quite literally dusted (with sugar)

x3y905evm3ax.jpg

served with cheese, crackers, and (not pictured) an apple-bourbon cocktail, because I had syrup left over

8kwr4pqm7161.jpg

• SalSal Damnedest Little Fellow Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Is that gravy with extra burnt crispy bits or some kind of sauce? Either way it looks delicious.

Just gravy with a whole bunch of pan drippings

xet8c.gif

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    @tynic would you mind doling out that recipe for the muffins? Those look real good.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    Got broth simmering now for ramen tonight
    Chicken broth, oyster mushrooms, button mushrooms, seaweed, red onion, garlic, chili oil

Soy sauce eggs soaking now
    Soft boiled them and peeled and they're resting in a bowl of soy sauce to soak up that good salty

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Ok. How does sharp cheddar Colby and parmesan sound for Mac and cheese???

• DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    Ok. How does sharp cheddar Colby and parmesan sound for Mac and cheese???

Like you're gonna have some delicious mac and cheese.

I'm thinking black pepper, a little salt, pinch of cayenne.

Good times

• jgeisjgeis Registered User regular

Good times

I always add some dry powdered mustard to homemade mac and cheese. Doesn't really make it taste like prepared mustard, just adds a nice balance to the flavors.

I don't have any on hand so I'll have to make do without.

I wonder if something else could help? Cumin? Cardemom? Tumeric? Garam Masala? (I'm just listing my spice rack now...)

Cardamom would be lost

Turmeric maybe! I'd hate to tell you false though and have you ruin mac and cheese

Pepper salt and cayenne is good enough.

I'm probably not baking it this time. Just gonna pour the sauce over the finished noodles.

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    PRmesan does not sound good in mac and cheese, to me. I usually stick to a combo of cheddar, meunster and colby.

Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    PRmesan does not sound good in mac and cheese, to me. I usually stick to a combo of cheddar, meunster and colby.

A very small amount of parm is ok.

I added like 10oz of chedder and 6 of Colby and 2 of parm

Picture
    uze9n3cnu167.jpg

• CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Chef John/Food Wishes mac and cheese is extremely good. I made it last week and it came out excellent. You could easily change the cheeses to something more interesting than sharp cheddar and use a more fun pasta like Cavatappi (although if you do I'd recommend adding 1/2 cup more cheese especially if you use the full 16oz box).

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
    So

I need to up my game on the sauce. 1 I don't have a proper whisk and 2 I forgot my flour is bread flour so the texture is off like crazy. Other than that it is good.

• Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular

Ramen! With crawfish boil turkey, oyster mushrooms, chili oil, garlic, seaweed, and the best soy sauce eggs I've done to date

• V1mV1m Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Xaquin wrote: »
    Cardamom would be lost

Turmeric maybe! I'd hate to tell you false though and have you ruin mac and cheese

Nutmeg and bayleaf for mac and cheese, obviously. Bechamel sauce wants both of those things.

It works super well if you're doing the baked version with the breadcrumb topping. Mix them crumbs with some grated parm, then dust with smoked paprika and rock salt.

V1m on
    I can't take bayleaf, but nutmeg would be good, definitely

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    jgeis wrote: »

Good times

I always add some dry powdered mustard to homemade mac and cheese. Doesn't really make it taste like prepared mustard, just adds a nice balance to the flavors.

Salt/pepper, dried mustard and paprika are my go-tos when I want to add some flavor but still keep it mild.

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    @Erin The Red could you please share your recipe for those soy sauce eggs?

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Ordered garlic parmesan dip from my pizza place.
    It was not what I thought which was ranch with garlic and parm mixed in. It was garlic sauce with parm dumped in it. Ugh.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    We're doing a fairly small thanksgiving this year (somewhere between 4-6 people). Mrs Mittens usually makes the pie(s) when we do thanksgiving with her parents like we are this year but she's 33 weeks pregnant right now and does not want to bother with making pies. This means I get to take over for dessert since we're not hosting this year and I don't have to deal with turkey/stuffing/potatoes/etc.

I was told that if there is only one pie to be brought it must be pumpkin. So please share with me your pumpkin pie recipes! I think the only people attending will be the two of us and her parents so I probably don't need to make a second pie but I probably will. I'm personally a huge fan of pecan and have a good family recipe (lightly modified off a Karo syrup bottle, I discovered a year or two ago!) but I was thinking about making something different this year. Any suggestions?

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    I just made what may be the best variant on scrambled eggs I've ever had.

5 roughly-chopped baby bella mushrooms, sautee'd until most of the liquid is gone (with thyme, salt, pepper, cumin, and some chile flakes)
    1 egg, scrambled into the mushrooms
    a bit of shredded smoked gouda cheese melted into it (like, 2 thick-ish slices with a cheese slicer, then chopped up).

I was just throwing together some stuff for a "I don't have to cook for anyone else today" dinner, and it turned out way better than I expected. The whole thing was creamy and smoky and delicious; it tasted like something with way more cheese than was in it. I bet it would come out almost as good with like half the cheese. I gotta remember this one for the future; I just can't cook it for my brother.

Enlong on
    @Erin The Red could you please share your recipe for those soy sauce eggs?

It's sort of hodgepodge but here goes
    Boiling water
    Add eggs
    Stir for one minute around the pot with chopsticks to get the yolks to settle in the middle
    Cook for seven minutes total
    Ice bath
    Peel
    In a bowl, put some garlic, some soy sauce, and some water. I usually do half and half on the liquids
    Let them sit for as long as you want. I did it for a day and they were lovely. The heat of the ramen re-liquifies the yolk

edited November 2018
    @bowen
    recipe, invented by me, as requested
    Apple cinnamon teacakes
    90g butter
    3/4 cup castor sugar
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
    1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
    2 teaspoon baking powder
    1 cup plain flour
    1/2 cup whole wheat flour
    1/2 cup almond meal
    2 eggs
    1/2 cup milk
    1 granny smith apple, finely diced

Apple-brandy jus:
    Zest of 1 lemon
    1 granny smith apple
    3 tbs brown sugar
    1 teaspoon cinnamon
    1/2 cup brandy
    4-5 tbs water

plus more castor sugar for sprinkling

Melt butter and allow to cool
    Beat eggs until pale and fluffy, gradually add sugar 1 tbs at a time
    Combine remaining dry ingredients and lemon zest
    With a wooden spoon, alternately fold in small amounts of dry mixture, then butter, then milk, to the egg mix. Stir after each addition until just combined.
    Fold in the apple gently until evenly distributed
    Spoon into a mini muffin tin (or a regular muffin tin if you feel adventurous)
    Bake at 180C for ~20 minutes or until tops are pale golden brown and a skewer comes out clean

While baking: Coarsely chop remaining apple, add to saucepan with sugar, zest, and brandy. Cook until apple is thoroughly stewed. If pan is too dry, add small amounts of water. When apple is very mushy, strain liquid into bowl or cup.

Immediately after removing cakes from oven, pierce the tops with a skewer 5-6 times and spoon over apple jus. Sprinkle with castor sugar.

tynic on
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Thanks!

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    I made cinnamon apple bread last night

first time I've ever attempted to make bread. It's good! I came down this morning and it was half gone so I'm calling it a success.

something tastes almost burnt though on the first bite. I think maybe the cinnamon/brown sugar I put on top. The taste goes away almost instantly though so no harm done.

Yeah. Brown sugar is going to burn real fast if you put it on the outside. Because of the temp you typically bake bread at and length of the bake.

Try rolling the dough out, spreading soft butter on it, and putting the cinnamon sugar onto that. Then roll it into a loaf and put into the loaf pan for another rise. Then brush some cool melted butter on top and bake that baby.

First attempt at linking sausage

Turned out ok!

Gonna smoke em to 180 in a while

hi8dipclgmwe.jpg

Nice! Did you go with natural casings or synthetic?

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Those are some beautiful dicks you got there. Did you put any Stimutax in them?

• NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    I will also be alone for Thanksgiving, so I'm trying to decide on how I wish to feast.

Already decided that I'm going to make some kind of apple cobbler for a dessert.

DEFINITELY making mashed potatoes, because they are one of my fave things that I never let myself eat except during Thanksgiving (and extremely rarely when I'm feeling ill, I'll make a less-rich version because it is plain and filling). Tends to only be a once-a-year thing though.

Going to probably attempt to make stuffing for the first time.

Undecided on whether I'm going to roast a whole mini chicken, or just try to find some turkey breasts. If I can find turkey breasts, I will cook those instead.

Definitely making my herbed gravy, somehow. Would ideally use real drippings, but it depends on the above!

Likely going to make a side of roasted brussel sprouts with grapes in a balsamic glaze. Made it a few times and it's incredible.

Micro-chance that I'll make a fast cranberry sauce too. This isn't something I need, but it would be nice to have and would help me feel like I'm having "the full Thanksgiving experience", and it's the easiest and fastest thing in the world to make, so.

Laying it all out it seems like A LOT of work, but (aside from the chicken roast, if I do that) each of these items only contain a few ingredients each, including spices, so it should be extremely easy. Hardest thing will be managing the timing. I can definitely make the cranberry sauce the day before, easily...and I can probably prep all the ingredients the day before too.

I am excited for deliciousness! It will be an interesting challenge to make enough for just me, with some leftovers for a few days. I generally make this stuff for 10+ people at a time, so it will be an interesting experiment! Photo evidence will be taken of my decadent holiday spread.

Natural!

Ha!

They are 2.5 lbs of 70% venison, 30% pork fat, pink salt, salt, sugar, allspice, nutmeg, garlic, white pepper, onion powder, and paprika

Smoking them with cherry

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »

Natural!

Ha!

They are 2.5 lbs of 70% venison, 30% pork fat, pink salt, salt, sugar, allspice, nutmeg, garlic, white pepper, onion powder, and paprika

Smoking them with cherry

Next time you make a batch send me some on dry ice. They sound amazing!

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
This discussion has been closed.