As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Magic The Gathering: Arena] Your favorite CCG in a F2P format you can spend thousands on!

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Yeah, against a deck as cheap-interaction heavy and redundant as mono blue you just interact on your turn

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »
    discrider wrote: »
    Ten minutes into crafting the Mono Blue deck, and I've already done some bullshit lived the dream.

Four Curious Obsessions on one Mist-Cloaked Herald.

Off of a one lander keep.

Against Mono Red.

Well.
    I played a Mountain and Shocked a Siren which was having a Curious Obsession attached to it T2.

That player conceded immediately.

I'm not sure why Monored did not mulligan until they have a Shock in hand.

Because mulliganing an aggro deck to fish for interaction is a really bad idea, especially against unknown decks?

<~<
    If my mono-reddish deck doesn't have one of the 7 or so shock/shivs in hand, I start worrying about what I'm going to be doing up until T2 on the draw.
    Can't lose a turn burning things to bad draw.

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    You should be running one drop creatures and probably not running Shivahn Fire. If you want comsistent one drops, add good ones rather than having only 7 and mulling to find them.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Probably?
    I dunno, these decks do look way different when I stuff all my dragons in a deck.

• Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    My one drops are 2x Fanatical Firebrand, 4x Ghitu Lavarunner and 4x Shock.

But I also run four taplands. BLOOD CRYPT SOOOOOON.

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Like, I could cut to Mono-red, and it would only lose (my x1) Niv and Raz really.
    But... It doesn't seem necessary here at junk-copper tier.
    Would probably be necessary at rare-copper though.

discrider on
  • Options
    Well...
    I now have a mono-red deck that has 4 shivs 4 shocks 4 lightning bolts in it.
    I'm not sure this is what I wanted.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Oh also can we get rid of the "Do you really want to quit the game when you hit ESC and then clicked on Exit Game?" prompt?

Because yeah, I do want to quit the game. That's why I accessed a specific menu and clicked on Quit the Fucking Game.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I feel the disadvantage to no crafting or trading. I have a bunch of the rares and mythics for several different decks from drafting, but no completely craftable deck and no way to consolidate my jank.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Wildcards are crafting, though. You can craft any card with the requisite rarity of wildcard

ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    furbatfurbat Registered User regular
    There are still a couple of client issues that get me.

1) The game taking 10 minutes to decide that you've disconnected, all the while on my end I have zero issues. When you come back, you've at least lost an entire turn.
    2) The client crashing at the very start of the game. I can usually get the game to restart and play a card before my turn is up when this happens but I usually lose out on the mulligan.

• Options
    edited November 2018
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    I feel the disadvantage to no crafting or trading. I have a bunch of the rares and mythics for several different decks from drafting, but no completely craftable deck and no way to consolidate my jank.

Eventually, you'll exhaust the pool of available cards because you can earn cards many times faster than they are released. But coming into the game with 5 expansions available means it's going to take a while. Wild cards help, but when decks take 10-20 rares to make and you only get 1 rare wildcard every 5.7 packs you are looking at a lot of packs to get there through wildcards.

I earned 20 mythic rares last week between in game card rewards, free packs, and constructed events. I didn't track rares but considering they are 7 times as likely in packs, 2x as likely from constructed events, and about 3x as likely from daily rewards I'd guess I earned about 50 rares.

There is a pool of 280ish rares and 74 mythic rares in game. So in about 2 months life will be good if I stick with the game. But right now earning 2 rare wildcards a week is slow going.

furbat on
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    furbat wrote: »

1) The game taking 10 minutes to decide that you've disconnected, all the while on my end I have zero issues. When you come back, you've at least lost an entire turn.
    2) The client crashing at the very start of the game. I can usually get the game to restart and play a card before my turn is up when this happens but I usually lose out on the mulligan.

Neither of these problems happen to me. I don't think I've ever had the client crash. I can see how that would be super frustrating!

• Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    Rakdos Burn is the true path and I am going to be severely scared of other people running it when Allegiance comes out.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    ...I may have picked it up in paper.

My Blood Crypts are already sleeved and ready to go in one they're legal. Wondering what will be replaced come Alliances, and I think it's the Wizards and Wizard Bolt.

ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Surfpossum wrote: »
    So here's the deck from above; I'm 3-1 so far today, and boy howdy it is fun to play. Much thanks to everyone who pointed out that Journey to Eternity exists, that card is baller as heck.

1m4s3pmr47sj.png

Based on how it's been running, I'm thinking I might take the Saproling Migrations and maybe Slimefoots out and either bump up some other numbers to 4 or try some cheap ETB dudes (I could really use some lifegain early on to smoothe the transition into midgame, it feels like).

I think the plaguecrafter might work there too.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Surfpossum wrote: »
    So here's the deck from above; I'm 3-1 so far today, and boy howdy it is fun to play. Much thanks to everyone who pointed out that Journey to Eternity exists, that card is baller as heck.

Muldrotha is basically Journey to Eternity plus a ton of extra features. I've had so much fun since I discovered I had three Muldrothas.

And then you can just Journey to Eternity Muldrotha back.

• Options
    SniperGuy wrote: »

Neither of these problems happen to me. I don't think I've ever had the client crash. I can see how that would be super frustrating!

The random disconnect happens pretty frequently and I'll get no indication that it's happened. Nothing will happen in game for about 2-3 minutes and then I'll get a message to reconnect. Once I hit the button, it loads back up and I'm good. I brought it up on discord and it seems to be a pretty common issue. The client takes too long to determine you have disconnected.

• Options
    edited November 2018
    I am on a 4 day streak of at least one 7 win run in constructed events. Feels good man. Just make sure you can deal with mono-red, white, and blue and you are good there.

furbat on
  • Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    Why is selective snare considered so bad in limited? I've used it a few times to great effect to effectively kill X soldier tokens and it's not super unlikely that they have two bodies of a similar creature type like Human. Even at just 1U to bounce a dude that's not god awful but it still has upside.

• Options
    edited November 2018
    I would think that it doesn't really have a home.

In mono-U you are looking to keep your curiosity draw engine going and out racing your opponent and countering their stuff with reactive spells. You don't really care about a couple of little guys because you are going to counter their heroic reinforcements or whatever.

In any control list you have board clears for 3-4 mana that can handle go-wide strategies better. And if you really need to put a single card back to hand, you have blink of an eye that also can be kicked to draw a card. It also is more flexible because it can hit any non-land permanent.

Also, selective snare is sorcery speed and nothing with blue in it wants to tap out of mana on their own turn.

furbat on
  • Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular

In mono-U you are looking to keep your curiosity draw engine going and out racing your opponent and countering their stuff with reactive spells. You don't really care about a couple of little guys because you are going to counter their heroic reinforcements or whatever.

In any control list you have board clears for 3-4 mana that can handle go-wide strategies better. And if you really need to put a single card back to hand, you have blink of an eye that also can be kicked to draw a card. It also is more flexible because it can hit any non-land permanent.

Also, selective snare is sorcery speed and nothing with blue in it wants to tap out of mana on their own turn.

Limited play.

It seems especially strong in like, an Izzet aggro deck. Bounce their shit out of the way, turn on your cyclops or dragonauts and go to town.

• Options
    GriswoldGriswold that's rough, buddyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    ChaosHat wrote: »

Limited play.

It seems especially strong in like, an Izzet aggro deck. Bounce their shit out of the way, turn on your cyclops or dragonauts and go to town.

I think the floor on Selective Snare is pretty low, and I think it's able to bounce more than one creature maybe ~5% of the time you cast it in draft/sealed.

The biggest ding against it is that it's a sorcery. So much of the value of bounce is in the tempo advantage you get by removing a key permanent from the board on your opponent's turn (usually during combat or on their end step), or by bouncing a creature in response to a removal spell or an aura.

It doesn't seem worth it to me to spend one mana + *a card* to bounce a single threat at sorcery speed, when your opponent can just untap and replay it next turn.

If you want this sort of effect in Izzet Aggro, you'd rather just have Cosmotronic Wave

Griswold on
    FFXIV: Brick Shizzhouse - Zalera (Crystal)
    Path of Exile: snowcrash7
    MTG Arena: Snow_Crash#34179
    Battle.net: Snowcrash#1873
  • Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    Tokens are not uncommon in the format though, and if you have ANY tokens your tokens tend to all be of the same type, right?

It's situational but I'd think it would be at least a little bit playable with tokens being as strong as they are in two different deck archetypes.

• Options
    Rend wrote: »
    Tokens are not uncommon in the format though, and if you have ANY tokens your tokens tend to all be of the same type, right?

It's situational but I'd think it would be at least a little bit playable with tokens being as strong as they are in two different deck archetypes.

As far as token producers at common, there's just Sworn Companions, right? There are some at higher rarities but running Selective Snare (especially maindeck) as a potential answer to those cards seems loose. And against most of those token producers, Cosmotronic Wave is still a more efficient answer.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    I think i need better removal for my Dimir Deck.
    wxv6otjre5q7.png

Thinking in investing in 2 or 3 "Price of Fame"s? i have one already in my collection. Thoughts?

I got inspiration from this decklist: https://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/budget-dimir-surveil-smackdown/

I reduced the amount of lands by 2 because it's such a mana-light deck... So far it hasn't bit me yet but i don't have that many games under my belt with this deck yet.

21stCentury on
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited November 2018

For every game you win because your opponent put put a half dozen tokens and the you bounced them all you will lose more game were just having another decent flyer or whatever was better. The question is never will this card do something in some idealized scenario, it's is this card better in the average game than any other card in the pack or in my pool?

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    Yeah but cosmotronic wave is red. If I'm not SPECIFICALLY running UR then that's not a good answer.

Also, there are uncommon and rare token producers. What if an opponent opened up march of the multitudes, or what if they're packing the dryad that makes a saproling every turn? Besides the fact that archetypes like RW and GW automatically gravitate toward tribal, specifically humans, soldiers, and vampires.

I dunno I'm not that good I just feel like when I took it it did work every time it was in my hand.

• Options
    I think i need better removal for my Dimir Deck.
    wxv6otjre5q7.png

Thinking in investing in 2 or 3 "Price of Fame"s? i have one already in my collection. Thoughts?

I got inspiration from this decklist: https://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/budget-dimir-surveil-smackdown/

I reduced the amount of lands by 2 because it's such a mana-light deck... So far it hasn't bit me yet but i don't have that many games under my belt with this deck yet.

22 lands is risky for a deck with counterspells in it. You'll often want to wait when you can play stuff just so you can hold up counterspells instead.

Price of Fame and Cast Down are both pretty good removal. Cast Down is easier to cast and hits most things, Price of Fame is 3B so no double black necessary and gets you those tasty surveil triggers. Plus it works well with Cast Down since it's cheaper against legendary.

• Options
    edited November 2018
    Yeah but cosmotronic wave is red. If I'm not SPECIFICALLY running UR then that's not a good answer.

Also, there are uncommon and rare token producers. What if an opponent opened up march of the multitudes, or what if they're packing the dryad that makes a saproling every turn? Besides the fact that archetypes like RW and GW automatically gravitate toward tribal, specifically humans, soldiers, and vampires.

I dunno I'm not that good I just feel like when I took it it did work every time it was in my hand.

What if your Selesnya opponent, instead of having March of the Multitudes, has Rosemane Centaur? (About 100x more likely in any given limited match.) Or Centaur Peacemaker? Ironshell Beetle? Selective Snare is a horrible answer to all of these cards, and you'd rather have literally any spell that affects the board for more than a turn -- even a below-rate creature.

Griswold on
  • Options
    Griswold wrote: »

What if your Selesnya opponent, instead of having March of the Multitudes, has Rosemane Centaur? (About 100x more likely in any given limited match.) Or Centaur Peacemaker? Ironshell Beetle? Selective Snare is a horrible answer to all of these cards, and you'd rather have literally any spell that affects the board for more than a turn -- even a below-rate creature.

I mean yes, but blink of an eye, which is the better bounce, is also not good in those situations. No bounce is good in those situations, so saying this SPECIFIC bounce is bad in those situations is, yes, true, but also trivial.

Unless you're arguing that bounce in the first place is bad, but as far as I know we're not arguing whether or not bounce is bad, we're arguing about this specific bounce.

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    my fast mill deck keeps getting people to single digit deck size that I would mill next turn before dying horribly
    buff mill to 3/activator and let me win, dang it

P10 on
    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    also rotate ixalan's binding out so it stops ruining my mill plans

• Options
    edited November 2018
    P10 wrote: »

That's what Cleansing Nova is for

Also show me your mill deck because mill is the best

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    I dunno if my problem isn't just I'm behind in the meta. It seems everyone is running with multiple board wipes and removal(at least with respect to an aggro deck).

But at least I've got plenty of cash now to try a draft.

• Options
    cncaudatacncaudata Registered User regular
    I am on a 4 day streak of at least one 7 win run in constructed events. Feels good man. Just make sure you can deal with mono-red, white, and blue and you are good there.

Ugh, what queue are you in that doesn't have 3xJeskai Control every time.

Also, what's your list.

PSN: Broodax- battle.net: broodax#1163
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    P10 wrote: »

That's what Cleansing Nova is for

Also show me your mill deck because mill is the best
    i have two. weird decisions might be because i don't have the cards i would use.
    'Fast Mill', seeking to aggressively mill using Drowned Secrets + Psychic Corrosion. Homarid Explorer is better than I thought because it's equivalent in power to a 4 mana blue draw 2 creature with a 3/3 body, assuming only 1 psychic corrosion out anyway, which is quite good. and the 3/3 body is useful for not dying, generally, although this deck still dies to aggressive starts because it has no efficient removal and it has too much non-creature stuff + the creatures are rather small
    4 Curious Obsession (RIX) 35
    18 Island (RIX) 193
    4 Mist-Cloaked Herald (M19) 310
    4 Opt (DAR) 60
    3 Chart a Course (XLN) 48
    4 Drowned Secrets (GRN) 39
    2 River Sneak (XLN) 70
    3 Silvergill Adept (RIX) 53
    4 Psychic Corrosion (M19) 68
    2 Chemister's Insight (GRN) 32
    4 Homarid Explorer (DAR) 53
    1 Divination (DAR) 52
    1 Divination (M19) 51
    1 Syncopate (DAR) 67
    2 Memorial to Genius (DAR) 243
    1 Reliquary Tower (M19) 254
    2 Riverwise Augur (RIX) 48
    'Gate Mill', seeking to go off with a Psychic Corrosion(s) + Guild Summit + Scapeshift + maybe Tatyova to mill a bunch of cards all at once (can mill 60+ in a single turn, although in practice you probably need to mill about 30-40 at the point you can actually combo). Runs literally every board clear I have + root snare in the hopes that I survive long enough to combo. 4x Reliquary Tower instead of the 2x Islands/Forests might actually make sense since if you get 2x Guild Summit in play you will overdraw. I used to have some land ramp that wasn't Circuitous Route trying to make up for the fact that playing 20 gates means I am always a mana behind, but I never found any of it good enough to justify - Llanowar Scout probably comes the closest, because it has utility for later turns with being able to play 2x Gates in a turn and a nice defensive 1/3 body, but the fact that it can't ramp the turn it comes out means in practice it kind of stinks. I would swap Conclave Tribunal for Ixalan's Binding if I had them because no creatures so convoke is pointless.

Also requires you to do math when doing the combo to make sure you don't Scapeshift for too many gates and deck yourself, which is the sign of a great deck

4 Psychic Corrosion (M19) 68
    2 Island (RIX) 193
    4 Guild Summit (GRN) 41
    2 Forest (RIX) 196
    1 Circuitous Route (GRN) 125
    4 Selesnya Guildgate (GRN) 256
    4 Root Snare (M19) 199
    4 Izzet Guildgate (GRN) 251
    4 Golgari Guildgate (GRN) 248
    4 Boros Guildgate (GRN) 243
    4 Dimir Guildgate (GRN) 245
    1 Settle the Wreckage (XLN) 34
    3 Tatyova, Benthic Druid (DAR) 206
    2 Scapeshift (M19) 201
    2 Ritual of Soot (GRN) 84
    1 Cleansing Nova (M19) 9
    4 Opt (DAR) 60
    2 Conclave Tribunal (GRN) 6
    2 Deafening Clarion (GRN) 165
    1 Time of Ice (DAR) 70
    4 Revitalize (M19) 35
    1 Chemister's Insight (GRN) 32

as you can see my hipster mill decks are true awful jank mill decks instead of a control shell made worse by swapping your win condition for psychic corrosions (i also have one like that but its lame and not worth talking about)

P10 on
  • Options
    Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I made a few changes to @Echo 's Thief of Sanity deck and I really like how it plays. I switched a few of the lesser 'useful' cards to the combo out for some soot rituals, as weeny decks are super duper common in arena right now.

I have also found the joy that is Izzet drakes and the bullshit they entail.

Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
  • Options

I mean yes, but blink of an eye, which is the better bounce, is also not good in those situations. No bounce is good in those situations, so saying this SPECIFIC bounce is bad in those situations is, yes, true, but also trivial.

Unless you're arguing that bounce in the first place is bad, but as far as I know we're not arguing whether or not bounce is bad, we're arguing about this specific bounce.

Blink of an Eye replaces itself, and can be cast at instant speed (and also isn't in this Limited format). There's no comparison between the card quality of the two spells.

• Options

Blink of an Eye replaces itself, and can be cast at instant speed (and also isn't in this Limited format). There's no comparison between the card quality of the two spells.

Fair that it's not in GRN, but you didn't address the point I was making that you're saying "selective snare" is bad in a situation where ANY bounce AT ALL would be bad.

of course I'm not going to bounce your ironshell beetle! I'm not going to do it with selective snare, or blink of an eye, or any bounce spell in any format for basically any reason. I might bounce the creature you gave the counter to, but not the beetle. That would be GIVING you value.

This discussion has been closed.