As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Fire Emblem: Heroes] Now with Cowgirls

• Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Delzhand wrote: »
    Kinda wish Aether Raids were more like Mario Maker, where you could build whatever you wanted and people could challenge it for fun. I love the mode mechanically, but I'm not really happy with the play restrictions and season/rank meta. I'm especially leery of what happens when the season ends. Does everyone start over at rank 0?

Yeah I find that aspect of it a little unfortunate. Like, I *want* to play it more and I feel super restricted in how much I'm allowed to. And I agree, stuff like how ranking is gonna work is super confusing and not well communicated.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    If I remember correctly it said you start at the minimum of your current (at the time of season end) tier. No idea if you can drop a tier though.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    I'm especially leery of what happens when the season ends. Does everyone start over at rank 0?
    Notification says you keep your Tier, and at Tier 11 and below your Lift as well, but at Tier 12 and above your Lift gets reset to the lowest requirement for that Tier.
    Talith wrote: »
    If I remember correctly it said you start at the minimum of your current (at the time of season end) tier. No idea if you can drop a tier though.
    I presume you can only drop a Tier from failed Defenses. In-game help says getting your Tier demoted also demotes the level of your Fortress (D).

homogenized on
    I'm especially leery of what happens when the season ends. Does everyone start over at rank 0?
    Notification says you keep your Tier, and at Tier 11 and below your Lift as well, but at Tier 12 and above your Lift gets reset to the lowest requirement for that Tier.

ok that's not too bad. I guess then you are more incentivised to have a good defense team or something.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    My defense team is killing a unit or two far more often than it doesn't, and I get at least one success each day, but... I really can't imagine getting it to a point where I don't get at least one complete defeat each day. Might be misunderstanding how the lift loss system is going to work, but I'm worried that my effort isn't going to matter (given that I'm only concerned about my own lift; I don't care about reducing other people's score). I guess my hope is that defeating units reduces the loss, and you can counteract losses with victories.
    Missed this post. There's a 20 hour period between a loss of Lift and the next time you can lose some again, so it seems you really only have to worry about losing Lift effectively once per day, maybe twice if you're unlucky.

• AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    My defense team is killing a unit or two far more often than it doesn't, and I get at least one success each day, but... I really can't imagine getting it to a point where I don't get at least one complete defeat each day. Might be misunderstanding how the lift loss system is going to work, but I'm worried that my effort isn't going to matter (given that I'm only concerned about my own lift; I don't care about reducing other people's score). I guess my hope is that defeating units reduces the loss, and you can counteract losses with victories.
    Missed this post. There's a 20 hour period between a loss of Lift and the next time you can lose some again, so it seems you really only have to worry about losing Lift effectively once per day, maybe twice if you're unlucky.

Yeah, but like... do I lose the full amount for any loss, or only if I don't defeat any units? Can I get that lift back with successful defenses? Does it add and subtract each time, just with the limitation that you can't lose more than a certain amount every 20 hours?

It sounds like it's "you lose lift if your team loses at all, but are only penalized for it once every 20 hours", which very nearly translates to "every person will lose lift every 20 hours, so there's no reason to put effort into your defense".

EDIT: The best case scenario might be if you lose that lift every 20 hours, but also gain lift for every success. So you can pretty much assume you'll get the loss every time, but try to make it back and possibly gain with a success or two.

AshtonDragon on
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    It seems like you ought to gain lift for successful defense, rather than lose it for failed defenses. That would really put the emphasis on building a solid defense, rather than just taking your wins as aether reserves allow.

• Corp.ShephardCorp.Shephard Registered User regular
    Yeah. Given that you have to invest early in either spending 1000 Aether Feathers on Offensive Fortress or Defensive Fortress... does specializing in Defense actually get you anything?

edited November 2018
    Yeah. Given that you have to invest early in either spending 1000 Aether Feathers on Offensive Fortress or Defensive Fortress... does specializing in Defense actually get you anything?

*shrug* I haven't found offense particularly challenging thus far. I just made a flier team and it just destroys anything. Easy when you can ignore BST and throw dancers and shit in there. So offensive buildings don't seem all that necessary.

Edit: Ugg, I sent some manuals home and gave Wendy another merge to try and replace L!Eirika. She.... isn't much better :/ I *think* I can make her work, but at first I was using QR3 seal and she was just getting destroyed. I switched to Close Def 3 seal and now she can tank hits as necessary from greens. The big problem though is she does like NO damage. And she can't proc her AOE special on enemy phase which is proving to be a serious problem. I may have to bite the bullet and give her Aether or something. I just had a match where a friggin' Fae slowly, slowly knocked me down, doing 0 damage usually but then every few turns she'd get a special and chip off a little bit of HP. Couldn't figure out any way around it. Bleh...

Edit 2: Hmm, perhaps it's worth employing my contingency plan finally. Ever since Loki was released I wanted to give C Dual Infantry to Jaffar. With the right skills, he scores about the same as Legendary Grima (which makes me sad but it's true). Only he can probably actually poke at enemies and weaken them for my bonus hero. Taking L&D3 off him (because CDI3 takes up the A slot) means he loses a lot of damage, which is *good* in this context. He probably won't kill armors, but all the AOE chip damage he does on top of the smoke effects could be exactly what I need to soften dudes up. Hmmmmmm....

Warlock82 on
    So, new plan. V!Hector with DEF boon, Lukas, L!Veronica, Arden, all loaded up with Fortress Def/Res, defensive specials, Harsh Command, and no weapons. Stuck in a corner and hemmed in with structures.

• KasynKasyn I'm not saying I don't like our chances. She called me the master.Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    The new mode has me theorycrafting a whole bunch of wild shit that would never have made sense before.

I mean, I was thinking last night about putting together a double Fortress tank with Obstruct, backing them up with a bunch of ranged units and buffers.

Any game mode that can prompt things like that is a good add.

Kasyn on
    I just noticed that if you edit your defense team, it'll tell you how much lift you'll lose on a loss. Seems to be based on how many units you're fielding, minimum 80. So no cheesing it by fielding a single unit, and presumably fielding 5/6 units will put it at -100/-120

edited November 2018
    Ok, I finally got a deathless arena run. Man it was super rough this week. Maybe once I can get Wendy some more merges she'll do better for me. But having Jaffar on assist feels like it helped. He couldn't do stuff against everyone but he could soften up some of them at least.

Anyways, also ended up having to give her Aether (rip regular Ike, it was that or sacrificing a more useful Brave Ike). She'll get a couple more points once I can actually give her the refine. Can't decide between Res and Might tho:
    powq7ur1ul70.png

P.S. - Fuck Micaiah... She's so hard to counter as a slow ass armor. Maybe with more merges I'll move out of point range of those teams (there's no blue arena skill so Micaiah should be costing them some significant BST... but at +4 Wendy is putting me down there...)

Edit: Ok, thanks to tap battle quests I got enough stones to refine her weapon. Decided to go might - her damage output is just too terrible. She gets enough res from her allies + A skill IMO. If I can make her do 2 damage on a normal hit vs. 0 damage, that's still a win :P

Warlock82 on
    Aether raids is a strange mode where I show 0 respect to the last surviving member of the enemy team and tank their final melee unit with Aversa for a turn or two while I raid their aether pantry.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
    edited November 2018
    I blew some of my F2P orbs on the Bartre banner somewhat foolishly (I can't help it, Bartre is awesome, I want more merges :P). Got pity broken by Dorcas, which is both hilarious and ironic. Decided to do one last yolo pull after that, did not get any green orbs, pulled one of the red orbs instead, got Saber. K game. At least my orbs weren't wasted :P

Warlock82 on
  • ArdorArdor Registered User regular
    Ran into a Kaze who didn’t have windsweep and could attack with no counterattack vs Tiki. He had desperation and heavy blade seal, what am I missing?

The group was Flying Nino and 3 Kaze, somehow worth 732 points.

Just to be sure, did your Tiki have Distant Counter or a weapon with Distant Counter built in? If so, was Kaze's HP low enough for Desperation to work, and if so did Tiki survive the immediate follow-up Desperation provides? Heavy Blade doesn't factor in to denying counterattacks other than speeding up a Special so that it goes off and kills before they can counterattack.

I realized I am an idiot. I changed her over to breath of fog.

Good call!

It's 29 aether to attack at rank 5. This is so dumb. I can play once per day after my free match. This can't be how it was intended.

Yeah, they need to up the rewards for smashing pots and fountains and/or have a way to upgrade your fountain. Also, one of the new notifications revealed that it's not your Tier but your Lift that determines the cost to battle. Specifically, it currently costs 10 + Lift/100 rounded down to battle. Starting next season they're changing it to 9 + Lift/100 rounded up, apparently because under the current formula a player that wins their first battle with one death or without a bonus unit can then battle more times than a player that got a perfect win for their first battle.

edited November 2018
    So I keep losing defense battles. Fuck it, I am going full BM
    ez3gfb15tt8d.png

What's that? You want in? Reinhardt says no...

Edit: Ok, mostly successful. Want to see a few more matches still.
    https://youtu.be/0oEJD-37w54

Warlock82 on
    So my current big complaint about aether raids is the fortress. Everyone who is attacking has a level 2+1 fortress, and mine on defense is only level 1, so they get huge boosts (+8 to all stats). But it seems stupid to upgrade the defensive fortress, since offense is so much more important. Also, it makes testing defenses just about completely worthless, because that ignores fortresses on both sides. I'm not getting any relevant data, outside of seeing how the AI will move my units.

I can understand wanting to give boosts to offensive units, so people have a chance against multi-merged teams. But I don't like how the fortresses upgrade, and I don't like how I can't properly test them.

edited November 2018
    While the tutorial forces you to buy the Bolt Tower (O), which being this season's offense bonus gives +1 to your Fortress (O)'s level, don't forget to also buy and add the Bolt Tower (D) somewhere on your map, that's this season's bonus for defense, which like the offense equivalent will give +1 to your Fortress (D)'s level. It's weird how many people aren't doing that; my lazy, causal playing raid team of the Askr trio and Bride Ninian really shouldn't be able to beat teams of +10s.

homogenized on
    Yeah I didn't know what the season boost did at the time, but I might be glad I passed on the bolt tower. The first season of defense literally doesn't matter, so I'll just have to start picking those up once they do. So the boost should "only" be 4 to all stats, but it's going to be an issue again when people start being able to afford a level 3 offense fortress.

These banners are making it really easy to hoard orbs.

I did some light pulls on it and somehow ended up with Amelia and Silas, so I'm ok with that :P Wasted a bunch of my F2P orbs but at least I got something out of it. I still wanna +10 Silas at some point, if I can ever build up enough copies of him (seem to almost never pull him sadly... but he's pretty new so there's still a lot of time... like, I'm pulling more and more 4* Libras and Silvias these days)

• mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    Did tap battle give more orbs this time around?

camo_sig.png
  • AcheronAcheron Registered User regular
    375 orbs and I feel filthy rich. Topped my previous high by at least 50.

Wonder what the next banner will be next week? Path of Radiance could be a surprise gut punch to the orb stash... It probably isn't another fates one, but more awakening is always possible. Would be much easier to skip those.

I'd love to be able to wait til January and pull red on the legend banner to get Ike copies and LEirika, but there are so many unknowns with 3.0 coming and the RD banner in Jan.

edited November 2018
    Acheron wrote: »
    375 orbs and I feel filthy rich. Topped my previous high by at least 50.

Wonder what the next banner will be next week? Path of Radiance could be a surprise gut punch to the orb stash... It probably isn't another fates one, but more awakening is always possible. Would be much easier to skip those.

I'd love to be able to wait til January and pull red on the legend banner to get Ike copies and LEirika, but there are so many unknowns with 3.0 coming and the RD banner in Jan.

My gut is feeling Sacred Stones, but PoR is another strong choice. That said, I think 3.0 is absolutely bringing beast units so they may hold off on PoR until then. (But of course, Radiant Dawn can do tons of beasts too as it's mostly the same characters).

Edit: Hmm, actually the more I look at the CYL data, the more I'm maybe leaning towards Path of Radiance after all...
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1IwBtWwWdHFjmmlxiXPACItAG-tHi6qfXM6FBHd316y4/edit#gid=0

If you look at the top ranks for both CYL1 & 2, you'll notice a ton of the heroes we got throughout this last year. They've definitely been using this data to inform banner selection. If you ignore beast units (because there's no way they are doing them before 3.0), Path of Radiance is pretty dang high. Haar, Jill, Ilyana, Shinon all very very high on both lists (Haar is especially impressive given his votes are split across two games and yet his RD version ranked insanely high - I could actually see them holding him back for the upcoming RD banner so you don't have two Wyvern Riders on the same banner). You could definitely make a banner out of that. Everything else high up is kind of a mish-mash of different games. You could maybe get a Blazing Blade banner out of something like Pent, Louise, Nils, Rath but they are a bit lower than the PoR heroes (also no way they'd put Louise and Rath on the same banner, but they could do a 3 hero banner or put someone else on). There's also a bit of Fates they need to cover yet - Rinkah, Lilith (bleh), Nyx, Forrest very high on the lists too. But no way they'd do two Fates banners in a row. We also *just* got a handful of Awakening characters recently so I don't see another banner for that just yet.

Warlock82 on
  • SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    I've won 8 out of the last 12 aether defenses (by, no joke, mostly copying @AshtonDragon 's map), and it occurs to me that this is basically pointless because if you lose 1% of defenses in a day, you're still losing the same amount of lift as if you lost 100% of them. (Well, mostly. One loss per 20 hours is close enough to one per 24 hours.)

Investing in defense structures sounds like a waste of resources, no?

s7Imn5J.png
  • SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    We also *just* got a handful of Awakening characters recently so I don't see another banner for that just yet.

Other than Aversa as a free unit, it's only been Owain, hasn't it?

I don't think they would have announced Radiant Dawn units so far in advance if they had a Path of Radiance banner much sooner. Jokes about this game being all Fateswakening have seemed pretty accurate, so since we just had a Fates banner, I'm assuming it's Awakening next.

s7Imn5J.png
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    We also *just* got a handful of Awakening characters recently so I don't see another banner for that just yet.

Other than Aversa as a free unit, it's only been Owain, hasn't it?

I don't think they would have announced Radiant Dawn units so far in advance if they had a Path of Radiance banner much sooner. Jokes about this game being all Fateswakening have seemed pretty accurate, so since we just had a Fates banner, I'm assuming it's Awakening next.

I mean, Flying Olivia, Sumia, Maribelle and Libra was not *too* long ago.

I've won 8 out of the last 12 aether defenses (by, no joke, mostly copying @AshtonDragon 's map), and it occurs to me that this is basically pointless because if you lose 1% of defenses in a day, you're still losing the same amount of lift as if you lost 100% of them. (Well, mostly. One loss per 20 hours is close enough to one per 24 hours.)

Investing in defense structures sounds like a waste of resources, no?
    I'm still not positive on how points loss works, or if we can make it back with victories, so it's kind of a wait-and-see. But yeah, it does look like investing in defense is pointless, outside of being fun. Which is a shame, because I really do have fun with it.

Sometimes I really have to question myself when playing Aether Raids. I just nearly jeopardized a run by playing ring around the basey with a +10 enemy Myrrh because I just had to sneak into the back and get into that Aether pantry. I could have just ended it on turn 3 but no I went all the way to turn 7 for what, an extra 3-4 aether?

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • DuriniaDurinia Evolved from Space Potatoes Registered User regular
    Talith wrote: »
    Sometimes I really have to question myself when playing Aether Raids. I just nearly jeopardized a run by playing ring around the basey with a +10 enemy Myrrh because I just had to sneak into the back and get into that Aether pantry. I could have just ended it on turn 3 but no I went all the way to turn 7 for what, an extra 3-4 aether?
    I've done that a few times too. I actually find it a new tactics twist vs the usual "just murder everything". Hitting buildings is already a thing in other modes, but none of them give you a disincentive to take out units.

For business reasons, I must preserve the outward sign of sanity.
    --Mark Twain
  • DuriniaDurinia Evolved from Space Potatoes Registered User regular
    Looking for advice on my next merge project. My main arena team has +10 A!Tiki, +7 Nowi, and a +3 F!Grima. I then usually use a bonus unit for slot #4. I'm out of merge fodder for Nowi and Grima, so I'm looking at what I can build next, perhaps to replace Grima eventually.

Candidates:
    1) Masked Marth: currently +2, with enough fodder for +7 and an easy path to 10 with Grails. Boring, but Falchion in current meta isn't bad.

2) Fae: don't even have a single 5*, but enough books to make +8. Green is a good general complement to others, but I've been using tactics skills/seals, and she (or Marth) would make 3 infantry.

3) Effie: Currently +1 and have enough to get to +9. Have a spare DC and Berkut Lance to turn her into an ever-lurking instrument of destruction. Good for BST and synergizes with tactics. Plus she has a bitchin pope hat. (Sorry Dwight Hardin)

4) Cordelia: Currently +0. I have enough to +10. Have a spare Galeforce to use as well.

Others (# I have):
    Caeda (8)
    Eirika (10)
    Nino (10)
    Babyhands (5)
    Soren (7)
    M!Robin (7)
    Hinata (8) - guess I haven't inherited much Fury lately!

For business reasons, I must preserve the outward sign of sanity.
    --Mark Twain
  • AcheronAcheron Registered User regular
    Hmm I might actually get in the top 10k in Aether raids. Never thought I'd see one of those little thrones. Currently ranked 4500 or so, which looks like it'll at least hold up in the top 10k by end of day.

All I did was try not to lose units and do my 3 fights per day. This mode might be much different when the defense losses start to matter... Or maybe everyone will just take their L's and it'll be exactly the same.

edited November 2018
    I managed to eek out enough aether for one extra battle and only lost one unit overall, so it looks like I'll be comfortably sitting in the top ranks this season. I expect offense to get a lot harder when I can't just abuse Aversa to trivialize 90% of defensive teams, though. Defense should be more interesting, too. Looking forward to next season.

EDIT: Alright, modified my defense team since I don't expect to see as much Aversa. Shame it's going to be a couple days before I can build the tactics room for defense. Should be in before defense matters, at least.

AshtonDragon on
  • WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    Acheron wrote: »
    Hmm I might actually get in the top 10k in Aether raids. Never thought I'd see one of those little thrones. Currently ranked 4500 or so, which looks like it'll at least hold up in the top 10k by end of day.

All I did was try not to lose units and do my 3 fights per day. This mode might be much different when the defense losses start to matter... Or maybe everyone will just take their L's and it'll be exactly the same.
    I was in the very low 10ks and thought I had a chance, but then I choked against an Aversa and that was the end of that. I doubt I'll get another opportunity as things get more stratified in later seasons.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650