As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[BATTLETECH/MechWarrior] Thread Bombed From Orbit [Closed]

• chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    I've got no problem with people in lighter mechs using me as cover when I'm in an Assault. It's what I do. What I have a problem with are people who cross in front of me when I'm throwing hatred from my 100 tons of fuck you and they bitch at me when they take some damage to their rear.

steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    chasm wrote: »
    I've got no problem with people in lighter mechs using me as cover when I'm in an Assault. It's what I do. What I have a problem with are people who cross in front of me when I'm throwing hatred from my 100 tons of fuck you and they bitch at me when they take some damage to their rear.

That and people that cluster so close that they block your movement.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Oh shit, the loyalty Rifleman has 2xRAC5s.

That's nice.

That and people that cluster so close that they block your movement.

I think MW4 had a rear camera?

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    50% off on Warhammers, Night Gyrs, Riflemen, Javelins, and Marauder IICs, including Heroes and Champions. Not gonna lie...I'm kinda tempted by the Night Gyr-D.

steam_sig.png
  • McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    Welp, I just slapped an RAC2 and 2ERMLs in the loyalty Javelin and got a 400 damage match with 3 kills. I shall dub him: Lil' Uzi.

website_header.jpg
  • ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    McGibs wrote: »
    Welp, I just slapped an RAC2 and 2ERMLs in the loyalty Javelin and got a 400 damage match with 3 kills. I shall dub him: Lil' Uzi.

You know what's real fun? Having 2+ RACs and placing them in separate weapon groups. Time it just right, and yeah...the effect is ridiculous.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Have they said whether the new stuff in Flashpoint will be scattered through the base Battletech campaign? I fell off the wagon and haven't played in ages, but if the new mechs, new biome and new encounter type are added to the base campaign I might just jump in and start a new one when it's out.

• SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Have they said whether the new stuff in Flashpoint will be scattered through the base Battletech campaign? I fell off the wagon and haven't played in ages, but if the new mechs, new biome and new encounter type are added to the base campaign I might just jump in and start a new one when it's out.

As far as I'm aware, the new mechs, biome, and encounter type would be available during the regular contracts accessible during the campaign. Flashpoints themselves would only start becoming available once the campaign was complete, or if you started a new, non-campaign Career Mode. And each of the 5 great houses also has one additional house-specific Flashpoint available if you attain Allied status with them. The Reputation system would also prevent you from being allied with all of them at the same time.

SiliconStew on
    Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Half tempted to get a marauder IIC for my first assault instead since it’s on sale, hrm

• RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    So I think one thing I need to do in my battletech game is specialize some mechs instead of most of them being jack of all trades. I'll load them out with an A/C 5, A PPC, some M Lasers, and LRM. Decent engage from range, can do damage up close, but not really focused anywhere. I just got the new ship and a new mech bay, and am finally about to get some more medium mechs from the 4 I have. Then I can actually customize some load outs. I also have an A/C 20+ that I really, really want to use.

• Redspo0nRedspo0n Registered User regular
    *wishing he could cram more UAC2 ammo in his Rival without losing something else

"Hey, want a Skull Servent? He's Evil."
    XFIRE:redspo0n (Yep, Zero in there) XBL: Pinkspo0n
  • IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    RickRude wrote: »
    So I think one thing I need to do in my battletech game is specialize some mechs instead of most of them being jack of all trades. I'll load them out with an A/C 5, A PPC, some M Lasers, and LRM. Decent engage from range, can do damage up close, but not really focused anywhere. I just got the new ship and a new mech bay, and am finally about to get some more medium mechs from the 4 I have. Then I can actually customize some load outs. I also have an A/C 20+ that I really, really want to use.

Nice!

I think you get a Centurion along the way to that point in the campaign. It would love to field that AC20+ for you. :) (Good Gunnery for the pilot, obv. Try to also have Tactics good enough to have triggered the first called short boost too.)

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Nobody wrote: »
    Half tempted to get a marauder IIC for my first assault instead since it’s on sale, hrm

If you do, pick up the one with ECM. I still regret not upgrading to that pack to get it. But since you said it is on sale it might have to come home with me now.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
    Betsuni wrote: »

If you do, pick up the one with ECM. I still regret not upgrading to that pack to get it. But since you said it is on sale it might have to come home with me now.

Oh yeah, been reading up on builds and that one is super tempting because every build I see for it is a long range sniper you can't get a lock on.

The MAD IIC-D meta build at the moment is ECM with ERLL/Gauss combo. It's a great sniper build in the right hands. It's what I went with on my Night Gyr, though, so I probably won't pick one up right now.

steam_sig.png
    The MAD IIC-D meta build at the moment is ECM with ERLL/Gauss combo. It's a great sniper build in the right hands. It's what I went with on my Night Gyr, though, so I probably won't pick one up right now.

On the other end of the spectrum, you can be a sneaky bully:

2xUAC20, 2xERML

Yes, it's pretty light on weapons and things go pear-shaped when the UACs jam, but if RNG is on your side (lol) it's pretty fun to dump all the 20 damage bursts into somebody's face.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
    Was this the one you used to have 2 LBX20s on before?

oosik_betsuni.png
    edited November 2018
    Was this the one you used to have 2 LBX20s on before?

I don't think I've ever run the -D with dual-LB20X (I save that loadout for my Mad Cat Mk2 and Blood Asps). Pretty sure I built it to be the Clan version of my old King Crab build (2xAC20 + 2xLL)...but with ECM and being able to scoot about significantly faster.

EDIT - although, I do run my Scorch with 2xLB10X + 4xSRMA6

Erlkönig on
    Drat, it was the Scorch I was thinking of. Two 10s. Wonder if I could do that with the ECM varient.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Day 2 of actual playtime - finding my stride with the Vapor Eagle. Lots of hit and fade in the murderball, but it really is a duelist mech - 1v1 feels like floating butterfly stings and whatnot. Against lights, I'm fast enough to keep up while outpunching them, and against bigger stuff I'm fast enough to dictate the engagement while still taking big bites that force them to think about continuing to fight.

Rival: UAC10, 2xERML, MASC - not super deadly or anything, but it's GREAT for throwing lead from odd angles
    1(S): 2x ATM9, ERMLs, LMGs - not sure this works for me in a satisfying way, but total damage numbers are nice to look at.
    3: 3x ERML, 3xSRM6+A, Tcomp2

I've got the 2 setup with ERLL and 5xLMGs, Tcomp3... but mostly cause I haven't tried to find something that's better, and at the time I expected to be sniping alot more than I am.

edited November 2018
    Drat, it was the Scorch I was thinking of. Two 10s. Wonder if I could do that with the ECM varient.

Twin-LB20Xes should be doable. If you go with a Scorch-like build, you'd be limited to a max of 2xSRM6es (and the missile hardpoints are also in the arms, so if your arms go, that's a LOT of damage going down the tubes). Looking at it, though, I think a pair of LB20Xes would work pretty well with the -D.

And I was just taking a look at Nav-Alpha and something I just noticed. Are Clan ERLL really supposed to have a shorter cooldown than Clan ERMLs? Right now the values (as reported on Nav-Alpha) are:

ERLL - 4s
    ERML - 4.5s

That seems a little backwards.

EDIT -

Huh, it seems IS mediums vs. larges are the same way:

LL - 3.1s
    ML - 3.5
    ERLL - 3.4s
    ERML - 4s

Erlkönig on
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Redspo0n wrote: »
    Day 2 of actual playtime - finding my stride with the Vapor Eagle. Lots of hit and fade in the murderball, but it really is a duelist mech - 1v1 feels like floating butterfly stings and whatnot. Against lights, I'm fast enough to keep up while outpunching them, and against bigger stuff I'm fast enough to dictate the engagement while still taking big bites that force them to think about continuing to fight.

Rival: UAC10, 2xERML, MASC - not super deadly or anything, but it's GREAT for throwing lead from odd angles
    1(S): 2x ATM9, ERMLs, LMGs - not sure this works for me in a satisfying way, but total damage numbers are nice to look at.
    3: 3x ERML, 3xSRM6+A, Tcomp2

I've got the 2 setup with ERLL and 5xLMGs, Tcomp3... but mostly cause I haven't tried to find something that's better, and at the time I expected to be sniping alot more than I am.

Ive been running an ssrm build on one and fighting lights has been pretty gross.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    Looks like if you put LB-20Xs on the -D you won't have room for the missile launchers

• AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    Roguetech sandbox mode is hard or I suck. I've had to adjust some of the difficulty settings into at least normal and bumped up selling amounts.

Has anyone else noticed a difference between the vanilla game and roguetech stuff?

Maybe I was just away too long.

Aridhol wrote: »
    Roguetech sandbox mode is hard or I suck. I've had to adjust some of the difficulty settings into at least normal and bumped up selling amounts.

Has anyone else noticed a difference between the vanilla game and roguetech stuff?

Roguetechs difficulty level hasn't changed. It has always been more difficult than vanilla and requires different builds (prioritizing massed fire and accuracy bonuses over big guns and damage).

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    Looks like if you put LB-20Xs on the -D you won't have room for the missile launchers

Bummer. Hmm... Well there goes my dreams. Will still be tempted to buy one and build out tonight.

Speaking of that, is there going to be anyone on tonight for Oosik battling?

oosik_betsuni.png
    Ill be on

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular

Roguetechs difficulty level hasn't changed. It has always been more difficult than vanilla and requires different builds (prioritizing massed fire and accuracy bonuses over big guns and damage).

I've never played it before now so it's a learning experience :)

edited November 2018

Ah. A few hints then.
    1. It's harder than vanilla.
    2. ECM is good.
    3. Mobility is good.
    4. +acc guns and guns which fire a lot of shots without acc penalties are good. This means that Streak missile launchers are really good.

Fiendishrabbit on
  • TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular

Ah. A few hints then.
    2. ECM is good.
    3. Mobility is good.
    4. +acc guns and guns which fire a lot of shots without acc penalties are good. This means that Streak missile launchers are really good.

Also melee is very good, unless that's been changed since I played a few months ago

I should be on tonight. Gotta skill up my sky cancer dispenser.

steam_sig.png
    edited November 2018
    Tynnan wrote: »

Ah. A few hints then.
    2. ECM is good.
    3. Mobility is good.

Also melee is very good, unless that's been changed since I played a few months ago

Melee is really good. There are some crazy melee mods and the only drawback is that it's terrible for salvage.

Usually I bring a scout mech (fast, extremely evasive, baits out enemies. Carries weapons that ignore avoidance in order to duel enemy lights. So generally a full package of Streaks), a melee mech (evasive, armored, hits like a macktruck), a legger mech (lots and lots of high accuracy stuff. Use him to aim for a leg and get the enemy unstable and down) and a firepower mech (to take the other leg once the mech is down).

Fiendishrabbit on
    edited November 2018
    Just wrekt a warhawk that wanted to facetank my (UAC20-equipped) VGL-2. THUDTHUDTHUDTHUDdakkadakkadakka.. warhorn. It was highly entertaining.

Redspo0n on
    half credit for beating a warhawk tho

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    half credit for beating a warhawk tho

Hey Warhawks have feelings too.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Alright folks and freebirths, its Vapor Eagle night.

We are building a religion

We are building it bigger

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    I'm logging in to watch you skinny mechs battle it out.

oosik_betsuni.png
    edited November 2018
    So this is funny.

3MPL and C-LB20X (3t ammo).

A[;D40n0|8f|OG|OG|l^p\0|oB|oBq\0|cBrP0sT0|oBtd0|NRud0|NRv@0|NRw:08080

VGL-1

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
  • RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    I need to start saving before doing stupid stuff in this game. I was halfway through a story mission, and I think doing good but a little worried about the amount of turns left. So I jumped down with one of my mechs equipped with LRM 15 +'s to get close to the target, only to realize I was now next to a mech with a huge gun on his shoulder. A fucking A/C 20. Ya, he died on the opponents turn. Think there was 7 turns left, but I was more than halfway through a story mission so it had been a decent amount of time.

Sorry...dropped with my unit instead. Terrible day and the games weren't much better. But I'll be available to play all weekend.

steam_sig.png