As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

A [DOODLE] Thread for the Ages. [NSFW]

• acadiaacadia Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    @Sublimus yo these character designs are pretty cool and pretty CLEAN. I'd love to see one colored.

@Surfpossum playing some No Man's Sky, I assume?

My roommate left this note, then signed it with a penis. I added another penis, finished it off by making those penises part of a screaming face, and then I added the running drawings for funsies. I'm oddly proud of the entire composition, tbh
    spoiler:dicks:
    86dyhj0iz5eu.jpg

acadia on
  • DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Sublimus wrote: »
    Another character.

PAF_Fighter2.png

I really dig all the little details in these. Is it me or does he look a little pigeon toed?

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
  • SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    @Doodmann (it's because I can't draw feet in perspective.)

• SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    I dunno what this is exactly, but it seems like something.

73cdnw8pm4kx.jpeg

edited August 2018
    @Surfpossum That's some deep-sea cavern with glow worms and fireflies or somesuch floating above an eldritch nightmare. That's what it is.
    @Sublimus for the record, your feet are getting better

Drew this one during a round of Telestrations. So, like 2 minutes, no underdrawing, no nothin:
    9tgebrxzzd6f.jpg

The rest of these I did standing or sitting at the Carnegie Museum of Natural History (and Art):
    cbh0gxft0l9y.jpg
    bps0cgvpq4hj.jpg

These ones were all on the same wall, and I only got through about half of them before I felt like I was in the way blocking people who wanted to see the exhibit (I wasn't). I'll be going back probably next weekend to get the rest of em. A bunch of small mammals.
    jb96a5f35dt4.jpg

acadia on
    @acadia That's good to hear! I'm continuing to work on it haha.

Big surprise I drew an orc

doodle_032.png

Another one. I don't like this one as much, and I think I'll do one more to make it a set of 3.
    doodle_033.png

I like the torso of that one a bit better, the directional strokes defining the form, and the lighting kind of putting it all together looks nice.

@acadia Thanks!!

Ok last one of these, and a lineup.

doodle_034.png

Orcheads.png

• Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    @Sublimus I might have mentioned this at some point to you before, (or maybe it was someone else? I can't remember), so forgive me if this seems familiar.

I've noticed you've got a tendency to render with a pretty soft look, spending a lot of time making sure you've got these smooth forms down- and that's no bad thing, in and of itself. However, when you apply that same softness to things that would logically be sharp (ie: sharp plane changes, cast shadows), the object tends to lose a sense of solidity- it may end up feeling like an unbaked clay model, rather than being made of skin and muscle and bone.

What I might suggest as an exercise is to punch in some hard, cast shadows onto these guys (in my example I just made a Multiply layer, lasso tool'd some areas and filled them with a flat gray). Initially, this may just look like some weird cel-shading, but if you then take those hard shadows, and give just a tiny little bit of softening on the form turns, it can really help start to sell the subject as being a believable object lit by real light. It's not a matter of hard or soft across the board, it's having a logical variety of hard and soft edges that makes it feel real.
    2ylluc82rum9.gif

@Angel_of_Bacon Thank you!! I'm a total wimp when it comes to edges and values. I should do some studies where I concentrate on those things!

I think I do tend to enjoy the soft value range as an aesthetic choice, but it is also borne out of a hesitancy too.

Thanks for the paint over!

Foreshortened hands are bullshit

PAF_SpellCaster2.png

@Sublimus I dig that boot knife. The little details you give your characters are great.

@acadia Thanks!! Trying to find that right level of detail for sure. That knife isn't in the sketch, but I felt it needed something more. Hopefully it doesn't feel too tacked on haha.

• SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    A wild Maybelline appears.

ajg7d0rwka2f.jpeg

Snooze is boosted by the weather!

That could easily be a tshirt.

Cuuuuuuuuute!

pqjnyjcuf5sa.jpg

I think I've peaked, creatively speaking.

• SeveredHeadSeveredHead Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    can you tell i hate to do studies, the face is stupid who needs it
    RWX6UD7.jpg

@Sublimus yah that is pretty neat

SeveredHead on
    edited September 2018
    You've kind of lost the gesture a bit, and stood him up a little straighter. The curve on the left side of his torso (and really the whole lean to the right he has in the ref) isn't as prominent. I dig the style of rendering though, with a dark base, painting light on top of it to get large blocks of color rather than starting light and going darker. I also like the DnD-type paintings you've been posting lately, so you know, keep doing that. Do that more.

More doodles of my own. I love that my friends like playing telestrations. The challenge of getting an idea down in within 2 minutes really clears the brain.
    Prompt: "Why is it that some shapes go this way, and others go that way?"
    pf3w33amc25g.png

Prompt: "Bees making pasta instead of honey"
    2ok8o9p2kn2o.png

acadia on
    Fairly quick photo study... Trying to learn color.
    Study_001.png

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    it's been so long since I did art I almost forgot there is a place I can post art??
    my sister commissioned this piece for her fiancé. And now apparently he's gonna get a tattoo of it? which is a little intimidating tbh.

xagpzkazfdsr.jpeg

• desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    I haven't visited PA forums for ages and I'm soooo happy AC is still here and this doodle thread is still a place where people can share and learn stuff!

Yaaaay

• JolliJolli Registered User regular
    Started getting into Spider-Man again, after playing the PS4 game. So did a little doodle of my favorite villain; Green Goblin.
    505wtuqi8p2c.png

• bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited October 2018
    I haven't visited PA forums for ages and I'm soooo happy AC is still here and this doodle thread is still a place where people can share and learn stuff!

Yaaaay

It's on life support but we're not dead yet!

Also hello you wonderful person.

bombardier on
  • m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Yeah holy heck I haven't been here in a bajillion years either. Hello. Hope everyone's doing great!

tumblr_pgopm1FqmG1s37o1ho1_540.jpg

m3nace on
    The LEGS on that robo

He goes for a lot of bike rides.

A thing from over the weekend.

doodle_044.png

• Kim kongKim kong Registered User regular
    Doodles from work... Or me fighting boredombq8p76jwoag9.jpg
    4xw53kuq80rb.jpg
    vkpxulbpp401.jpg
    a21mnvkakz32.jpg
    fn80wa9lev18.jpg
    zcpgbn3ab4xg.jpg

edited October 2018
    The seasons change.
    sbtied6a0pio.png

m3nace on
    You should do a robo that's just a robo head with other robo heads for all the body parts.

acadia wrote: »
    You should do a robo that's just a robo head with other robo heads for all the body parts.

That's a heckuva good idea.

found a weekly figure drawing session that's right near my work and costs $10 for three hours. Which is just crazy? but pretty awesome.

h86klw5m83z9.jpg
    wvwq76fcjfoo.jpg

Is that in chronological order? Because the lines get more and more confident

Do they? that's interesting because I didn't really notice as I was drawing, but you're probably right. It's been a while since I did any live model drawing, and I think it did take me a bit to get comfortable.

• Kim kongKim kong Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    After more then 15 years since I dropped out , I thought to myself... let’s animate a seasons greeting card. It’s like riding a bicycle... if it’s on fire and over a cliff
    2kwzjx9mrjr0.gif

Edited it for a looping one.

Kim kong on
  • EsiotrotEsiotrot Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    6syomlhmho82.jpg
    i60to3wd0o22.jpg

Red or Blue?

Esiotrot on
  • IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Why not both?

I personally enjoy the contrast of warm and cool in the blue one. but I could easily see them both printed and facing each other.

• ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    Yeah, with Iruka on that. I'm partial to the blue, but the red is also quite pleasing to the eye - just in a different way.