As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX EAST 2019 HOTELS LIVE

• lauren0rzlauren0rz Registered User regular
    12kizuna wrote: »
    I was insanely lucky and was able to get the Westin. I just wish I had been thinking because I made checkout Sunday instead of Monday. Now I'm trying to figure out how to still enjoy PAX while navigating the terror that is checking out on Sunday and figuring out what to do with my bags. Would really have preferred to leave Monday :(

We always check out Sunday morning before we go over to the convention center, they will hold your bags for you there. Depending on your transportation situation, if you've parked there you could also put your bags in the car. The parking is always good for the entire day, even if you've checked out.

qtjvjrS.png
  • gwnluv22gwnluv22 Registered User regular
    I had the worst experience with the hotel situation, I was in the queue for my badges so quick that when I got done and then forwarded to the hotel site it was still asking for that access code they had placed up there to block the early bookings that were happening, the drop down to select Attendee was not there yet because I processed my order so quickly for my badges, so then I tried to refresh and then it gave me an error message and so then I tried to go to my email quickly to find the link to reopen the page and it said that I had another window open somewhere and wouldn't let me proceed, by the time I go that all straightened out all the options that I was hoping for were gone........the worst! Oh, well :/

ijetwpfodsxf.png

• LoonyEclipseLoonyEclipse WWHRD? Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    Managed to get rooms at the Renaissance, as needed. I can live with this!

My pin lanyard
    PSN: L00nyEclip
    Steam: Loony Eclipse
    Twitter: @Loonyeclipse

8hQBw4O.png
  • Bunta_FujiwaraBunta_Fujiwara Albany, NYRegistered User regular
    Got Element Wed-Sun when the tweet went live, but hoping for Westin to pop eventually

As everyone is saying, Onpeak was so much better hope they go back to them. Does anyone know if Passkey works the same and rooms pop if people cancel them. And what the hell is up with wait-list?

zmYaVYP.png
  • DeathJest3rDeathJest3r Registered User regular
    As everyone is saying, Onpeak was so much better hope they go back to them. Does anyone know if Passkey works the same and rooms pop if people cancel them. And what the hell is up with wait-list?

Passkey seems to be a bad fit for a hugely popular convention booking portal. The tools and layouts seem to be more geared for smaller scale conventions or single hotel events such as business meetings or weddings. Case in point: If you want to change your hotel after you have an acknowledgement you have to do a search as a new attendee because the "modify" option on existing reservations only lets you search within the original hotel you booked. I can't imagine how many double and triple bookings there will be since people are going to keep refreshing the hotel list to try and get closer to the con and hold onto them under separate confirmations. Onpeak and Experient let you search for rooms within the original reservation if you wanted to upgrade and swap hotels when cancelled rooms became available.

Also, their queue system was broken from the start requiring multiple refreshes (while showclix for badges was working without any problems) and even past the queue the website broke multiple times with "oops" and emergency maintenance errors. I do not have much confidence that they will handle the room cancellations and weeding out multi-bookings with any sort of efficiency given what they showed us as launch yesterday.

• blckknight119blckknight119 Registered User new member
    edited November 2018
    If anyone ends up cancelling The Westin or The Element please send me an email if you don't have anyone else in mind. I'm interested in those hotels. Got screwed over by the queue.

Email: blckknight119@gmail.com

blckknight119 on
  • ScoJoMoScoJoMo Registered User regular
    If anyone ends up cancelling The Westin or The Element please send me an email if you don't have anyone else in mind. I'm interested in those hotels. Got screwed over by the queue.

Ditto here. Looking for Element or Westin Weds-Sun. This new hotel booking site is an abomination.

• falknessfalkness Registered User regular
    Also looking for Element. Aloft appeared for me yesterday but I got an error and it booted me and I lost it.

• Skelington Skelington Registered User new member
    If anyone has to cancel the element, westin, aloft, or seaport please pm me or send me an email it would be much appreciated. Got screwed really hard by the website.

• iltailta Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    add me to that list of pain! my email is isaiaht@gmail.com if anyone ends up dropping a w-sun westin, aloft, element, or seaport. i have a seaport 2-person but i like to get a larger group to bring costs down.

ilta on
  • DominoDomino Keizen Mikazuki New York, NYRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    I got the Westin first go, only King, but I can make do. Not the first year I've done so. Also got a 2 double at the Renaissance in case I can't get a 2 double at the Westin later and my sister for whatever reason requires a separate bed.

Domino on
    tFh5HdJ.png
  • Bunta_FujiwaraBunta_Fujiwara Albany, NYRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Domino wrote: »
    I got the Westin first go, only King, but I can make do. Not the first year I've done so. Also got a 2 double at the Renaissance in case I can't get a 2 double at the Westin later and my sister for whatever reason requires a separate bed.

Shoot me a PM if you end up dropping that king Westin 😃

Bunta_Fujiwara on
    zmYaVYP.png
  • RedK232RedK232 Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    I wasnt lucky enough to get Element, Aloft, or westin so hopefully when room share topic gets made i can room share in one of those hotels. How do you guys do those 12,13 things?. I cant figure that out

RedK232 on
    xhdr64jir3c2.png
  • MephistoN7MephistoN7 Sexual Tyrannosaurus Keene, NHRegistered User regular
    I never even saw the Westin. What days did you get through?

Same. Didn't even appear in the list of possible hotels when I tried to book just after opening. I see it there now, not available, though.

Unlike OnPeak, which shows every hotel to tease you and then show the blacked out dates, this site only shows the hotels available for the dates you selected. If any of your dates are Sold Out, the hotel is automatically removed from the list.

When I initially booked, I looked for Wed-Sun but Westin was removed. I narrowed the search to only Thurs through Sat and it was available because Wed and Sun are gone. So I booked it and bookmarked my reservation because it's a lot easier to modify your reservation to add a day once it's available. Then you just keep a second reservation as a backup.

Did the same thing last year. Started with a 2 night Westin booking that evolved into 5 nights within 3 months. :biggrin:

erdub14zr3u2.png

• MarinoMarino Giant Bomb Moderator / League of Heels Webmaster Macon, GARegistered User regular
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but it doesn't look like this site allows you to build upon a reservation like OnPeak did. For example, I can't book Fri-Sat at the Hyatt right now, then add Thursday when I see it available in a week, then Sunday when I see it available in January, etc.

It's all or nothing it seems.

I hate this so much, y'all.

• imPokerFaceimPokerFace Registered User regular
    Marino wrote: »
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but it doesn't look like this site allows you to build upon a reservation like OnPeak did. For example, I can't book Fri-Sat at the Hyatt right now, then add Thursday when I see it available in a week, then Sunday when I see it available in January, etc.

It's all or nothing it seems.

I hate this so much, y'all.

yea seems like you're right. this is so much worse than onpeak

• jdixon1972jdixon1972 Registered User regular
    Yeh, I was not pleased with the new hotel system either. I had no problem getting my tickets, then I hit the link to the hotel site and immediately got an "Oops" error page saying something went wrong. I tried 4 times then finally got in to the hotel page. I put in my Thursday through Sunday dates, 1 double bed, 1 person. Westin wasn't listed so I choose the Seaport. It then went to the acceptance page and then I got the "Oops" error twice. Finally got back to the hotel listing, Seaport was still showed so i selected it using the same stats only to then get an error stating maybe your criteria wasn't available. This happened 3 times and on the fourth, the Seaport wasn't listed. I went through the same crap with the Renaissance as well. I ended up taking my fall back hotel, the Omni Parker. It's a great hotel, just not close. I hope this site is easy to monitor for any dropped reservations like OnPeak was. I wonder what happened to make them part ways with OnPeak? Whatever it was, it wasn't worth it.

jdixon1972

• lauren0rzlauren0rz Registered User regular
    MephistoN7 wrote: »
    I never even saw the Westin. What days did you get through?

Same. Didn't even appear in the list of possible hotels when I tried to book just after opening. I see it there now, not available, though.

Unlike OnPeak, which shows every hotel to tease you and then show the blacked out dates, this site only shows the hotels available for the dates you selected. If any of your dates are Sold Out, the hotel is automatically removed from the list.
    Definitely not true. It's showing me all of the hotels, and to add insult to injury, I have to click 'Show Availability' on each and every one to see if it's y'know, actually available. And it's still slow as hell, so I guess it wasn't just an 'everyone's overloading the servers' situation yesterday... just normal. :\

qtjvjrS.png
  • 12kizuna12kizuna Registered User new member
    lauren0rz wrote: »
    12kizuna wrote: »
    I was insanely lucky and was able to get the Westin. I just wish I had been thinking because I made checkout Sunday instead of Monday. Now I'm trying to figure out how to still enjoy PAX while navigating the terror that is checking out on Sunday and figuring out what to do with my bags. Would really have preferred to leave Monday :(

We always check out Sunday morning before we go over to the convention center, they will hold your bags for you there. Depending on your transportation situation, if you've parked there you could also put your bags in the car. The parking is always good for the entire day, even if you've checked out.

Thank you! This is a big help.
    From the sounds of it, Sunday can be pretty dull anyway. I almost feel like Sunday tickets should be slightly cheaper.

This is my first PAX and I feel so crazy lucky I didn't have any problems with the hotel reservation website. I refreshed the PAX page as soon as badges went up and zoomed right through everything. I didn't even stop to read anything, really- was just concerned about putting my payment info in as fast as possible. Beginner's luck I guess? I am crossing my fingers for all of you to get the rooms you want! Keep trying- I'm sure there will be a number of cancellations in the weeks/months ahead.

• craiolacraiola MARegistered User regular
    Got Element Wed-Sun when the tweet went live, but hoping for Westin to pop eventually

I actually have a 2 bedded Westin that I'm looking to swap for a 2 bedded element. Is there a way to do swaps like you did with onpeak?

DXLJjjr.png
  • imPokerFaceimPokerFace Registered User regular
    If someone wants the seaport and has a Westin (waterfront) booking, (Wednesday-Sunday) let me know

• liftedtrucks31liftedtrucks31 Registered User new member
    Tried to book a room at several hotels all seemed to be booked.

• CommanderZimCommanderZim Registered User regular
    I'll just have to keep an eye out for a Tuesday-Monday Westin. The Element is an acceptable substitute, but that skybridge is clutch.

• RedK232RedK232 Registered User regular
    Yea i forgot when does the room share topic open up?. I dont remember when it did last year. Gonna need one most likely since i wasnt able to land the Westin, Element, or Aloft.

xhdr64jir3c2.png
  • SolanalesSolanales CMYKMatter Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    RedK232 wrote: »
    Yea i forgot when does the room share topic open up?. I dont remember when it did last year. Gonna need one most likely since i wasnt able to land the Westin, Element, or Aloft.

Typically it opens up in November so I'd guess it's coming soonish EDIT: It's up actually

Solanales on

P0P7S6y.png
  • yourezombiebaityourezombiebait Registered User regular
    A lot of people were saying they were looking for the Element. Looks like it has rooms open. My sister and I have been stalking it like crazy and it finally has rooms opened up. I'd jump on them quick though. We just booked ours about 10 minutes ago.

yep i was able to grab one.

P0P7S6y.png
  • falknessfalkness Registered User regular
    Got a Friday and Saturday at the Element! Just need a Thursday now.

• MarinoMarino Giant Bomb Moderator / League of Heels Webmaster Macon, GARegistered User regular
    I was able to upgrade to the Hyatt tonight. I expected it would take me a couple months to get that done.

The Hyatt isn't "close" but through my years I've found it to be the perfect mix of "close enough" and being in the middle of stuff to do at night downtown.

• ishtraishtra Long IslandRegistered User regular
    Super stoked I got to upgrade from Omni to Renn. Still hoping for Element b/c I love the kitchenette, but this year I got bumped over to Aloft anyway :bigfrown: ... we'll see

Attendee: PAX East 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018, Unplugged 2017
  • ossipagoossipago Registered User regular
    Can anyone with more experience let me know if there are PAX block Element rooms without a kitchenette or couch? Especially the two-person rooms?

ossipago wrote: »
    Can anyone with more experience let me know if there are PAX block Element rooms without a kitchenette or couch? Especially the two-person rooms?

Some of the Element rooms don't have couches, but they all have kitchenettes.

P0P7S6y.png
    edited November 2018
    Funny enough, the neighboring Aloft (same parent company as Element) is super compact and the rooms with single bed for 2 guests have no couch/kitchenette.

ishtra on
    ishtra wrote: »
    Funny enough, the neighboring Aloft (same parent company as Element) is super compact and the rooms with single bed for 2 guests have no couch/kitchenette.

Yep... which is why i was scrambling to get the element this year. Thankfully we got it but eeesh

P0P7S6y.png

Thanks, all! Guess I need to contact the hotel when reservations move over for more info.

The Aloft and the Element target very different audiences. I do find it strange that they are right next to each other, though.

yeah, we had packed food to cook during the con, so I was Definitely not happy to be bumped from Element to Aloft last Pax and we had planned on 3 people in our element room and it would have been way too tight in the Aloft single bed room to fit even an air mattress.
    The Aloft and the Element target very different audiences. I do find it strange that they are right next to each other, though.

Too true. It seems even weirder since the merger, b/c so many of the PAX hotels now all fall under Marriott umbrella :surprised:

yeah, we had packed food to cook during the con, so I was Definitely not happy to be bumped from Element to Aloft last Pax and we had planned on 3 people in our element room and it would have been way too tight in the Aloft single bed room to fit even an air mattress.

Too true. It seems even weirder since the merger, b/c so many of the PAX hotels now all fall under Marriott umbrella :surprised:

I guess I have a further question. For those people who have booked two-person rooms at the Element in the past, what kind of room did you get? Was it bed + kitchenette, bed + couch + kitchenette, or something else? Not looking to exceed the booking number, just trying to get information on what the room might look like.

I guess I have a further question. For those people who have booked two-person rooms at the Element in the past, what kind of room did you get? Was it bed + kitchenette, bed + couch + kitchenette, or something else? Not looking to exceed the booking number, just trying to get information on what the room might look like.

We got bed + couch + kitchenette last year.

P0P7S6y.png
  • DeathJest3rDeathJest3r Registered User regular

All the Element rooms are either King + Couch or Two Queen Beds. I believe the rooms that they list under "One Bed" on passkey are the smaller King + Couch rooms while the "Two Bed" option can either be King + Sofabed or Two Queens. As stated above all the Element are marketed as a extended stay hotel so all the rooms have a kitchenette. Its hard to know exactly what you'll get because of the way that Onpeak and Passkey style event services manages inventory before submitting to the hotels.

• a fraking toastera fraking toaster W1TRK Registered User regular
    just swapped out the revere for the marriot at copley plaza....little bit cheaper and still has a pool...more stuff to do around the area as well.