As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Magic The Gathering: Arena] The CCG that started it all, now F2P. New set incoming

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    Yilias wrote: »
    I don't draft because I'm bad.

I just log in, do my 750 quest in casual, then queue aggro in constructed bo1 until my 15 wins are done.
    disgusting

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    furbatfurbat Registered User regular
    That's like 2.5k gold a day even if you go 7-0 every single time in CE. It'd take about 2 months to hit 100k gold at that rate.

• Options
    cncaudatacncaudata Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    furbat wrote: »
    cncaudata wrote: »
    Yilias wrote: »
    I don't really need to open it though. You get like 1 mythic a run and I'm steadily approaching 100k gold. I could buy packs with winnings and get wild cards that way if I really needed something asap.

I'm much more sympathetic to the 5 of issue where people need to craft lands but don't want to commit because extra copies poof into nothingness.

I dont know what game y'all are playing. I have done like 8 constructed events and got 1 crappy mythic and a bunch of crappy rares. 1/run maybe if you are constantly getting 7 wins...

Each uncommon has a 10% chance of being a rare instead and a 5% chance of being a mythic. The rares have a 33% chance. A 6-7 wins you over 70% chance to get a mythic.

image.image

The above is at a 50% win rate. At 50% win rate you are turning 90 gold into 0.29 mythic rares, 0.58 rares, and 2.13 uncommons. If you can achieve a 50% win rate, and the match making does its best to make this possible, you should never ever ever do free play ladder over constructed events.

This, like a lot of the faulty assumptions I have seen trying to calculate expected winnings, assumes that if you have a 50% win rate, you have a 50% chance of winning each game. In actuality, even if you measure and your actual win rate is 50%, most of those wins are going to be in the first 2-3 games because as you progress you play better and better decks and players. A person with a 50% win rate is not going to be evenly distributed over 0-2 to 7-0, they are going to have tons of 2-3, 3-3, 4-3 runs and just a few 7-1 or 7-2 ones.

If you are regularly getting 6 and 7 wins, congrats. You're probably pretty good at magic and have a deck that does well in the current meta. I am not feeling that right now. I *think* I don't suck, but I also think I chose a bad first deck for Bo1, so I'm in that camp of all my runs are 2-3 to 5-3.

If you are regularly getting 6-7 wins, please share ideas. I think some of the decks shared in the thread so far are great, but of course I'm 12 rare wildcards short still.

cncaudata on
    PSN: Broodax- battle.net: broodax#1163
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    as you progress you play better and better decks and players.

This is the crux of your argument and I'm 99.99% sure this is not correct. You have a source? I think you are confusing CE with hearthstone's draft. With anecdotal evidence my match 1 is always the hardest.

I don't go 6-7 wins every time, but so far I've only lost gold 1 day and broke even 1 day in the last 10 days of CE. Usually I come out ahead about 200-600 gold. Last 3 days have been 600 gold days. Today I'm down 400 though, but I'm 4-0 on my current run so?

furbat on
  • Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    as you progress you play better and better decks and players.

This is the crux of your argument and I'm 99.99% sure this is not correct. You have a source? I think you are confusing CE with hearthstone's draft.

I don't go 6-7 wins every time, but so far I've only lost gold 1 day and broke even 1 day in the last 10 days of CE. Usually I come out ahead about 200-600 gold. Last 3 days have been 600 gold days. Today I'm down 400 though, but I'm 4-0 on my current run so?
    If you’re playing ladder constructed, we expect you’ll usually be matched against players right around your rank. If you’re playing in events, however, your far more likely to see a wide range of ranks as we are only using Win/Loss record-based matching in them.
    https://forums.mtgarena.com/forums/threads/28653

Presumably better win/loss records and better players/decks are correlated.

• Options
    edited November 2018
    Is that win/loss each run or win/loss record in CE? My understanding of that is you are paired against players of your skill level over time not facing players who are also 6-0 on a good run.

furbat on
  • Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    It would honestly make sense to have a matching system similar to the swiss system used at GPs and MTGO leagues and whatnot, for CE events. MMR is best left for ladders.

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    this is what a good deck looks like
    01ySBwE.jpg?1

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    Is that win/loss each run or win/loss record in CE? My understanding of that is you are paired against players of your skill level over time not facing players who are also 6-0 on a good run.
    A win/loss record over time is usually referred to as/part of a MMR system. It sounds much more like they're looking at W/L in a given run.
    As a practical example, assume you have a 600, 1000, 1500, and 1900 MMR group of players in the QC 5-2 W/L queue. They're going to pair 600 to 1000 and 1500 to 1900. These matches are in no way 50/50, but they should lead to a better experience for everyone over the 1900 and 600 and 1000 and 1500 playing. In a fully random system it means sometimes the 1900 player would get a "free win" against the 600 player, but other times you'd get the same result.

The other point would be that in a system without any MMR consideration by the time you get up to 3-2 or 4-2 in the W/L queues you're far less likely to see anyone with a lower MMR up there anyway.
    https://mtgarena.community.gl/forums/threads/25337/comments/122672

• Options
    0rybhmt75waz.jpg

And now I'm up 100 gold for the day. 5 days in a row I've gotten at least one 7 win run.

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    P10 wrote: »
    this is what a good deck looks like
    01ySBwE.jpg?1

The power of jank runs deep

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    That Spyglass reminds me that I need to look at purchasing a bunch of these new* pirates so I can build another one of my Commander decks.

20100203skeleton%20ship.jpg

* to me

• Options
    edited November 2018
    I guess that makes sense. I'm running a list that does well vs. RDW and white weeny. So my early games are all against shit I can't beat like drakes and dimir and after about 3 wins I have easier and easier match ups since all the control decks get weeded out by aggro. My first couple games are always hard as hell.

furbat on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    I really have to say, after spending years playing Hearthstone I'm enjoying how much more varied even the tier 1 competitive decks are. In Hearthstone basically every deck is set with between 1 and 4 flex slots that tend to skew towards the same small pool of cards, depending on metagame/preference. When I look up Top 8 lists, on the other hand, even decks of the same archetype will have wildly different compositions - different amounts (and types!) of removal, different balance of big and small creatures, different number of Planeswalkers..it really feels like there's a lot more room to experiment and change how your deck is set up based on what you want it to do.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    To be fair to Hearthstone, apparently this is the best standard's been in awhile.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    3clipse wrote: »
    I really have to say, after spending years playing Hearthstone I'm enjoying how much more even the tier 1 competitive decks are. In Hearthstone basically every deck is set with between 1 and 4 flex slots that tend to skew towards the same small pool of cards, depending on metagame/preference. When I look up Top 8 lists, on the other hand, even decks of the same archetype will have wildly different compositions - different amounts (and types!) of removal, different balance of big and small creatures, different number of Planeswalkers..it really feels like there's a lot more room to experiment and change how your deck is set up based on what you want it to do.

This times 1,000,000. Not only that but you can actually build your deck to beat the things you hate in MTG.

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Surfpossum wrote: »
    That Spyglass reminds me that I need to look at purchasing a bunch of these new* pirates so I can build another one of my Commander decks.

* to me

Wow that is an awful card. Fun to build a deck for, at least?

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    milski wrote: »

* to me

I love terrible commanders.

One of my favorites is Kaysa with a bunch of 0/0 creatures.

All my srs commander bsnss is packed into my Sisay deck.

Surfpossum on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular

* to me

Yeah I think at that point they still thought that "multiple colors" and "legend" were super cool and interesting enough to make up for the fact that they were drawbacks, and then pile some more drawbacks on top.
    112.jpg?1517813031

Is that custom altered art on the Skeleton Ship?

• Options
    KalTorak wrote: »

* to me

Yeah I think at that point they still thought that "multiple colors" and "legend" were super cool and interesting enough to make up for the fact that they were drawbacks, and then pile some more drawbacks on top.
    112.jpg?1517813031

Is that custom altered art on the Skeleton Ship?
    Yeah, tho I never really finished it. I used to do quite a bit of altering; I think my Sisay deck is something like 25% altered art currently?

Definitely something that paper will always have over MTGA.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    My favorite was always this guy.

10642_200w.jpg

Beefy, high stats for mana, keeps coming back to kill things.

• Options
    qbw5abwael3g.png

My first attempt at a deck involved 4 of those guys, llanowar evles, fyndhorn elves, and lures + thicket basilisk.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    opened a "Price of Fame" in my 3rd weekly pack so i took out the Murders from my Dimir deck.
    dn2chv5om5gh.png

Also added some lands back in and yeah, at first i didn't realize how much surveil i had and how useful it is to filter through lands.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    FoN used to be a staple of damn near every green deck

there used ot be those gotos for every color:

White - Serra Angel
    Blue - Mahouti Djinn
    Black - Sengar Vampire
    Red - Shivan Dragon
    Green - Force of Nature

all kind of not good these days

• Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    3clipse wrote: »
    My favorite was always this guy.

10642_200w.jpg

Beefy, high stats for mana, keeps coming back to kill things.

Fights in a Pit for money!

My favorite cycle of legends.

Silvos, the earth need syou! "No! I fight in a pit for Money!"

Also busy fighting in a pit for money:
    zi7sbrf24p9d.png

Elbasunu on
    g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    Let's not forget Mr. Fighting-in-a-Pit himself.

410r-LHoFvL.jpg

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Kamahl, Reality Show Contestant

"I didn't come here to make friends."

• Options

Kamahl looks like a pit fighter though!

Meanwhile Arcanis, The Omnipotent is just standing in a corner drawing cards while everyone else fights.

And Akroma shows up to fight and it's like...how is that even fair? Why does an angel of wrath need money?

• Options
    edited November 2018
    Reading up on the Mirari (which is a thing people fought in a pit over), I'm reminded of why Magic lore is so great.

This orb of power shows up on a plane and starts wreaking havoc as power structures crumble and alliances fail due to warring over it; murders, betrayals, city- and eventually continent-wide devastation follows its wake, ecosystems become horribly mutated, a gat dang false god is created in the turmoil,

and then Karn shows up and is like whoops, my b, I dropped that.

And then goes and sticks it in Memnarch and proceeds to forget about him while he goes faffing about somewhere else.

And all this is small potatoes compared to Urza's shenanigans.

Planeswalkers! No sense of right and wrong.

Surfpossum on
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Reading up on the Mirari (which is a thing people fought in a pit over), I'm reminded of why Magic lore is so great.

This orb of power shows up on a plane and starts wreaking havoc as power structures crumble and alliances fail due to warring over it; murders, betrayals, city- and eventually continent-wide devastation follows its wake, ecosystems become horribly mutated, a gat dang false god is created in the turmoil,

And then goes and sticks it in Memnarch and proceeds to forget about him while he goes faffing about somewhere else.

the best part is, the mirari, a magical wish-granting device that inevitably led people to their demise and literally invaded their thoughts was meant to be a simple probe.

C'mon, Karn, the first thing a probe shouldn't do it attract attention!

• Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Elbasunu wrote: »

Meanwhile Arcanis, The Omnipotent is just standing in a corner drawing cards while everyone else fights.

And Akroma shows up to fight and it's like...how is that even fair? Why does an angel of wrath need money?

Jareth was the White pit fighter.

magic-onslaught-jareth.jpg

Akroma was made by Ixidor iirc.

Sheesh, that was the time I started collecting mtg. But no one played it. People here stuck to yugioh 'cuz it was young crowd.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    What a terribly named card. Everyone knows Jareth is a goblin king.

• Options
    Akroma also fought in the arena! She went there to fight khamal.

I checked the Wiki! Everyone fights in the damned arena it's insane,.

• Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    What a terribly named card. Everyone knows Jareth is a goblin king.

He should have been named Jareth Cutestory, Maritime Lawyer.

• Options
    I'd really like to play the planeswalker decks in mtga. That'd be fun.

• Options
    NeadenNeaden Registered User regular

the best part is, the mirari, a magical wish-granting device that inevitably led people to their demise and literally invaded their thoughts was meant to be a simple probe.

C'mon, Karn, the first thing a probe shouldn't do it attract attention!

This is why I miss old school Planeswalkers. Nigh immortal gods wandering around, fucking things up, blowing up heaven to power their ships, accidently starting religions just by passing through the neighborhood. It also let the timeline stretch out more. Now all the lore takes place in just a few years, when back in the day it might by centuries.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Elbasunu wrote: »

Jareth was the White pit fighter.

magic-onslaught-jareth.jpg

Akroma was made by Ixidor iirc.

Sheesh, that was the time I started collecting mtg. But no one played it. People here stuck to yugioh 'cuz it was young crowd.

Did Rob Liefeld draw that cat?

• Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    I'd really like to play the planeswalker decks in mtga. That'd be fun.

I have 2 of them. As another poster pointed out, they are full of unplayable cards. And you can t select an opponant using a pw deck so you get rolled.

• Options
    GriswoldGriswold that's rough, buddyRegistered User regular
    Top 10 anime betrayals

U9SKLwM.jpg

FFXIV: Brick Shizzhouse - Zalera (Crystal)
    Path of Exile: snowcrash7
    MTG Arena: Snow_Crash#34179
    Battle.net: Snowcrash#1873
  • Options
    Griswold wrote: »
    Top 10 anime betrayals

U9SKLwM.jpg

For the love of God, Montrelich!