As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Most Artisanal of Cozies [Artsy Farts and Crafty Asses]

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Radiation wrote: »
    @Xaquin do you have any spare antler? Want to pass that over next time we meet up if you do? Or keep an eye out for stuff on your mushroom scavenger hunts.
    I should be getting threaded inserts for my wasteboards this saturday and I'll work on installing those and then work on better clamps.

I have the thing for minor incident coming up and then I can shift over to the project I've been mulling over for 2 sided machining. From there it should be (hopefully) a fairly easy transition to multi-sided machining. Worst case I can get the main body machined out and someone can hand engrave or paint the numbers on. I think in that case for the most part 2 sided jobs would get me the main body of the dice.

I've got a little bit, yes but not enough to get more than maybe one or two made

you're welcome to it! I always keep my eyes peeled when I'm out =)

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Okay, no real rush on that. I'd like to practice on some of the scrap wood I do have.

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    I... kind of just got my first furniture commission. That was sort of unexpected, but I'm incredibly excited about it! I get to do a really cool folding D&D gaming table.

Between that and the cool project @Radiation is working on with me, I'm suuuuuper hyped for some of the stuff I'm doing over the next few weeks.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Ooh, I cannot wait to see that!

• Options
    Neat! Good luck with the table! Keep us posted on the progress!

• Options
    Oh, you guys definitely will. But first I get to spend a couple of weeks feeling like an untalented hack who is about to be found out!

• Options
    Considering the bench you busted out a bit ago I'm sure it will look great! Plus you may have access to a CNC!

Which I really need to get off my ass and work on the entryway bench thing.

• Options
    Yeah, I’ve been finding myself reflecting on that bench you made quite a bit. I like your version better than the inspiration!

• Options
    Janson wrote: »
    Yeah, I’ve been finding myself reflecting on that bench you made quite a bit. I like your version better than the inspiration!

Thanks! I really appreciate that.

• Options
    edited November 2018
    @minor incident It finally finished. Still need to do the outer ring.
    WCXPmSBEi9hiQvkl8wsrygW3VNYeVZ5ewnVgfI4C6kUybov0GSelOjnINyZMoXU7AMyAafQHhzN1NJ0AVWF2G_JtD2ETINxHgK-qGWuDaxm3tOiZ4u9GOrU_oDMN6AGo79j6ebcz1r7w7qI1RDIwCZFwGLYUUhd5QvSIEiSQjaQXZ--6MQVuzsoh90A1pB3J-s_Xc1m8A4yctO0vZvAZhGE83vUNmW4wEgPe8-0u5olSA9KE5ubP35YOZWuV0Ks40daZZVqTRUtnPGhK0t_rJ6c-gOKA2zEu6Unmkv70jdImtr-PcBQkLprTsUGipfjbBsYgLpuBym4_gVHUw5IfkNLYiT-e88Xr5YG3VBEGAn0PYjrYrPghXRPQwPicI2Zn_xh3fzKbHnpnDSGX6Ehkz9nHYzHoey2EAxoW4TRgGjej2Iu1ISA9XMrJSMBzsFsAAw_7WQ2BmyX-JiEplC4Gw0nIg5x30T6uCgIvgE8jhhP21IkoLVMjcpmg1hyBZOA3KR1Qwfz8di8DHKHot_uwJJJfY0qMffNKJb4P5hZPYGXec2ky107gyI9sEnZWjVUJHD2Vf__exg9inRjc7TtqcoOR-AhS_1fuX_Ny9odN6BkrUy2wRiSr3R6Hc0OXpgWP4KMFYoBKp4qYiWUltFNpoaXeC38moH3vnMMLwKG_2rYq9HpaQkQ9rgDfWVrdjd8aQRyeFLu4nc8_n69xtA=w727-h969-no

I'll whip that up and run it tomorrow, then find a box and send it your way maybe Friday?
    The finer corners didn't go all the way through. .1 inch depth as my 1/32 inch bit only has about that in reach.
    The backing is red oak I think? Not really sure.

Radiation on
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Radiation wrote: »
    @minor incident It finally finished. Still need to do the outer ring.
    WCXPmSBEi9hiQvkl8wsrygW3VNYeVZ5ewnVgfI4C6kUybov0GSelOjnINyZMoXU7AMyAafQHhzN1NJ0AVWF2G_JtD2ETINxHgK-qGWuDaxm3tOiZ4u9GOrU_oDMN6AGo79j6ebcz1r7w7qI1RDIwCZFwGLYUUhd5QvSIEiSQjaQXZ--6MQVuzsoh90A1pB3J-s_Xc1m8A4yctO0vZvAZhGE83vUNmW4wEgPe8-0u5olSA9KE5ubP35YOZWuV0Ks40daZZVqTRUtnPGhK0t_rJ6c-gOKA2zEu6Unmkv70jdImtr-PcBQkLprTsUGipfjbBsYgLpuBym4_gVHUw5IfkNLYiT-e88Xr5YG3VBEGAn0PYjrYrPghXRPQwPicI2Zn_xh3fzKbHnpnDSGX6Ehkz9nHYzHoey2EAxoW4TRgGjej2Iu1ISA9XMrJSMBzsFsAAw_7WQ2BmyX-JiEplC4Gw0nIg5x30T6uCgIvgE8jhhP21IkoLVMjcpmg1hyBZOA3KR1Qwfz8di8DHKHot_uwJJJfY0qMffNKJb4P5hZPYGXec2ky107gyI9sEnZWjVUJHD2Vf__exg9inRjc7TtqcoOR-AhS_1fuX_Ny9odN6BkrUy2wRiSr3R6Hc0OXpgWP4KMFYoBKp4qYiWUltFNpoaXeC38moH3vnMMLwKG_2rYq9HpaQkQ9rgDfWVrdjd8aQRyeFLu4nc8_n69xtA=w727-h969-no

I'll whip that up and run it tomorrow, then find a box and send it your way maybe Friday?
    The finer corners didn't go all the way through. .1 inch depth as my 1/32 inch bit only has about that in reach.
    The backing is red oak I think? Not really sure.

Dude, that looks fantastic! I can't wait to get it in and finish this project. And yeah, that red oak would be perfect for the outer ring. Thanks again for working on this with me.

minor incident on
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Anybody else super duper hyped to see what @minor incident and @Radiation are working on?

I think I'm more keen on that project than my current one.

• Options
  • Options
    My bit has been pretty easy. Machining took way longer than I thought it would, but @minor incident has the nice finishing portion.

• Options
    So this double sided machining is crazy. Also makes me want to fix up the other machine more. Currently one job on one side is expected to take over 5 hours. The other machine will be able to hog out more material and move faster.
    Also good lord I think I've spent like 4 hours on this, figuring out various things like holding and model orientation and how do I even make things flip. Also I'll need to make 4 of these total.

• Options
    ZeroCowZeroCow Registered User regular
    If anyone needs deer antlers I can see if I can get some. Deer season is starting in Ohio and the rest of my family hunts. Just let me know and I can check/ask.

PSN ID - Buckeye_Bert
    Magic Online - Bertro
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    So, a few years back, my sister received an open silver bracelet as a gift. However, sometime between then and now, it got accidentally stepped on and totally bent out of shape. This week, she got around to asking if I could fix it for her. I very much could, but it had to wait until I could book time at the studio I had learned at. That time was last night.

Part way into it, I discovered that either the gifter had been lied to, or that the fact that it was silver plated was just lost to the sands of time. Either way, surprise!

00c6gujuaqaq.jpeg

That one big wire strand in the middle? The only actual silver in the piece.

Turns out, though, it’s a non-issue, because now it looks way better.

hjbovzu30d7a.jpeg

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    Typhoid MannyTyphoid Manny Registered User regular
    silver and copper look so goddamn good together, that's like the main reason i spent so much time learning how to do mokume gane

(which you should hella give a shot if you have the means)

from each according to his ability, to each according to his need
    hitting hot metal with hammers
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    silver and copper look so goddamn good together, that's like the main reason i spent so much time learning how to do mokume gane

(which you should hella give a shot if you have the means)

I don’t have a forge, like what you did, but it is something I’ve given thought on how to pull off.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    Typhoid MannyTyphoid Manny Registered User regular
    a forge makes it easier, but it isn't strictly necessary. my first couple mostly-successful attempts were just making a little house out of firebrick and hitting the stack with a propylene torch

you probably don't even need the bricks if you're good with the torch, it just makes it way easier to heat evenly (which is imperative) if you have them

from each according to his ability, to each according to his need
    hitting hot metal with hammers
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    So my friends invited me to a larp thing.

I guess I gotta come up with appropriate costuming at some point before January.

If I end up enjoying myself I'm probably going to try to teach myself to tailor my own stuff for it. Since I have an minor interest in sewing already and I should have a job next year so I can get the tools and materials...

• Options
    Initially I want to shoot for something like jorah mormont in game of thrones. Just in his raw linen tunic cut short and tucked into trousers.

Anyone know what that sort of skirt over his trousers is called? Where he wears his sword belt over?

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2018
    after looking at pictures, all I can come up with is "skirt". It's definitely a skirt.
    Specifically a wrap skirt, I guess.

tynic on
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Looks like it might have been something like the bottom of a surcoat, but most of his gear looks really beat up.

• Options
    edited November 2018
    Thanks tynic

I'm going to have to find a cloak to borrow to so I can be warm enough since it's in January.

Eventually if it's fun I'll have to get some kind of leather cuirass for over the tunic and stuff like that.

I think just the tunic trousers and some kinda wool cloak to start actually then look into a gambeson and stuff.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Anybody have any recommendations for laser engravers? I need to do some wood/paper engraving. Eventually I'm going to get a cutter but for now I figured this would be a good cheaper jumping off point.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Oh, uh, this might be of interest to people here. https://www.fastcompany.com/90269252/3d-printed-particles-can-embed-themselves-in-your-lungs-forever

Basically, just like almost everything else in crafting, a well ventilated area is the best place to do stuff.

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Anybody have any recommendations for laser engravers? I need to do some wood/paper engraving. Eventually I'm going to get a cutter but for now I figured this would be a good cheaper jumping off point.

Do you have a price point you'd like to hit? If you want multi function there is the boxxy.
    Shapeoko has a company making a laser kit to add on top of it.
    Muse is a good single tool option. The hackerspace near me got one and it's fairly simple set up and use.
    You could look around on Craigslist around you. Our makerspace got an old one cheap. Requires some work to get them up and running. There are a few cheaper kits on Amazon. Though be extra cautious with fume extraction and eye protection.

Radiation on
  • Options
    ZeroCowZeroCow Registered User regular
    Quick project I did. I painted the candle and then had it put on a business card. The message is on the other side of the card.

yuyazc52v5f7.jpeg
    gatqjjgq3zos.jpeg

PSN ID - Buckeye_Bert
    Magic Online - Bertro
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I think im going to look around craigslist. I'm looking for small scale, under $1000. The Boxxy and Muse are both around 5k, which is toooooo much for dipping my toes into a hobby.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Less CNC work this weekend, but did manage to do some.
    I was mostly working on 'shop' related projects. I'm building another bench to be an enclosure for the new CNC I got and making a french cleat system to help me be slightly more organized. I also decided to try my hand at sort of cutting boards (more serving platters really) for a few family members maybe.

One of them lives in Washington, which will become more relevant a few pictures from now.

So I got some really nice wood. I got a strip of purple heart, a wider block of curly maple and a sheet of curly cherry. The bigger curly cherry sheet I cut it down the middle and then had to cut the block of curly maple to near the thickness of the cherry. Then made a nice board sandwich.
    t0qIFiyNYvd0-CHA8-YxcdwaNyDjQYaNmf95LK52FfAxj7uqG9NnxJlblEPSE19vRWwDJyS4AuY_0bwPz33nWM9cMGxR-RmH9Dy4bwwRQFhWUC15PN4ra053vTJQe7Sex8WFiq8CGOmC1EMFDccgZ85XaxswnnsyfYsn_HWHp34wxef0mmx5vdlxJ47ip0ciH3wImgpG3WFjeN7PrgH6fCTyhDrn2IqvXqSK0nNcWzuZFUmkVkWciiDY-OzYnqpt0tWGUoss7tWBo5YCdMUBYHBa56Lis7bhVlX-FJii-0k6iu7iiY-Coqt-QcjhQYnvNG-Mt9f2vVIQkps_jMo6LxZydAZQUQjFrnz81ZiLjOCYzsg2utLeJyd_XfZr37kTMT45qBoONw3s-3_TqTRqPdkg0yl9astYdIAls5frX8IAneZteekSi15ZqPQ16UBzBs8UUMAm1nYnB7aiLhfKAxwO9NSBK-AZKhWFz_qdbCD1u1-lIXQ_DgD74VuvaN3uQJTs4MfZBh4WCGaNKCleVHZBhevrvWqObd7OVhxLhEfTSRqIJrLHOYjHehu4Ca0lcagzFdKaHTFJTSeCLkozAYkhkxibm1q2w-kOXL98tFaXq0cx1p7SJF0XZKqXj3y07JUx1D2HpZbad_hcQjNi7hVpn79CRov6eTyN5NxduNwpc4JTRIltx6VARaxr0GhnWLGuGH5UU-VJ3oAdtw=w667-h889-no

Final shape. Still need to do some more heavy sanding, there is a slight ridge between the two boards that I need to get rid of.
    u68-54v_Xzy6QkvrFk7rWprY7Onz69e1muMRtSOSpo39_GHEeZ3-CeVTP6k_GBnpa9_cZEQ8sIq6B5URPVwZw-1tQMixLV4P_PTrq3rSEZwtRLhuhuq2qxDtvSLKRaqL0Q9bW6v57jSEUP-xC6SsgZUK-J_F_-iX1nu6ae7gU7WPtM0u9eDdJN2THQXQWWzKLzKPnCaEzjYyjNQM2iMXhrv9sLRe2kUPHnALkP_EJiZtkOR8h1TbeGs7ud38Fcdd14Il9GLW2lrHoIgqlrZ8uxP0l4_RYMF76kv3j0QTXxFH2iVCi5GqU1rXJ-yigKVCFfRwupeeRlUIkIQdrhPEWiBNafBypy7HvlYi58J4Vcrj_yHeIugH8ruPtPP8J5jxZaK0jyJZV9rdKyDXaIBeKvNReEU4wLmWCXeJA5_tuvZduxHX1QLiZ28XQe5dJeB2nn5wzFO1Xhc3v1dz8do5c01mvn3xtxhhzy9Hutgpy9Rvk-K_nYizd3fCXRNfg0KaTU1eXG69T6GK6vJhI6Ep5bnOv4FGrJWd8fS0P1xF6y6RvipBSNui_V7K-iMX7vbDg_RxjNdl3oYVcxtK8KTNRW9dTJGvNWpTU9s858fnrzV15pDMcmVn58zppuSjHqI7J_W-0aTKfqRgLv4_AVGo-0_Tmujy60I3IcNy-Yj7qVW5pSCm4K6xWQzgVVTmMO5FbtP5nq7D2H2TxxFLXg=w1186-h889-no

Bonus video of the CNC if anyone cares. Link Warning: your ears.

Also I have two boards of walnut that I'm going to make an entryway shelf type thing. I had to debark them and sand them this weekend.

JF_l4JgN1UO7NB_z2or6MSd7702-qQzhufhHKSIFc4pKnNjv73w-uEjBzg3mWzDJr6x7NTwss08tRSF-DGDWl3dTOSuJxpz-vFSxVoOgcPaCCAiqXkop3jWP90k5UgXWYFRlkzN7UwAn0MqcYzZ8oW9_J9WRCQ2p1mWLU22KWqRTfnErNJknenIJRFlsa9Kd0Qowbry9uWuIwmJN6fqxGmMO3_4fa58Ji-E1iJOO0jso_bTQKfBihR5x4JYGZJd5HMKmXWQJ2XnwZeo7O21oGP3_zuWKGPEyK3TdJ1yVkptKu7kAsXz8qNKoLnLqMUpL7BBLDWGN_4gdUL5SPX8cfFHVkKo-zNSCUG-BszzUgK8tEWVYK0LuhZow_721gf7v6flfzNKhVJcCr6MV5fUpztHUiFfsNC0cnJ_Kfws1g1Cfnt09E29ZA52eBI4KJn95SmrpVCijDMffIvRMMnYYZ2PRgDXWONdt9C5w4iMUF-xWdJOY46WqrzIgcNT9N-SVd_Vt-sGdA6sJV5Uf3RCekeFUxnem57LHaHV7Z6PHovEpr8PPYBRIsqjYm-oM0PM2zKag_OklzKtsu-qfwwyP0Hs8EJ7TONjPoJMgUh9tY-yvnSoBtnCIpDbIVLTr91dopoRCpR78DkUDMLrVj1E3MbUpBPqTwP-lY3R_uiDL2EzCVpmP07AM1esXRMOcLVZA-OvqBSqFNMlX3C66Jg=w1186-h889-no

Radiation on
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    My rigid heddle loom has been shipped!!

Commence squee!

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
  • Options
    That cherry looks great, and that whole combo will look awesome when it's all finished and oiled.

• Options
    edited November 2018
    Ran into a compelling case today for a owning miter saw in addition to a table saw: cutting really oddball bevel angles at the ends of extremely long boards (5 to 7 feet). Considering I don't have an extension table for my table saw and the wings only extend out about 30 inches, it took a LOT of effort to muscle those ends flat to the table and get them pushed through the saw without tipping, while readjusting the angle to be exact.

Glad that part's over, though. In retrospect it probably would have been easier to just bevel the ends with the track saw, but that's even more of a pain to set a really precise angle on.

minor incident on
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Oh, and hey, progress shots of the D&D gaming table!

For reference, each of those triangles is almost 7 feet long and 4 feet wide (nearly a full sheet of 3/4" plywood for each one). The boards will be aprons that surround the two triangular sheets to make two table tops, and then the two finished table tops will hinge together at the middle to fold in half.

Will also feature folding legs for storage, and one other cool bit for gaming that I'll have to show off next week when I get to that part.

ogjx4v0g5hzn.jpg

Here's the general idea:

umbv4eexl01w.png

minor incident on
  • Options
    pookapooka Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    holiday knitting plans:
    • finally knuckle down on the blanket that my sister asked me to finish for her (garter in the round, inc at corners, 1 ball+ remaining)
    • armwarmers for dad (doubleknit skulls, as the armadillo chart i found requires thinner yarn than the aran i've chosen)
    • armwarmers for mom (figure out cat chart from Japanese???)
    also, my cousin has several allergies (i don't remember if cat dander is one, but i'd rather minimize exposure from my three cats just in case), so i'm trying to find ways to clean this blanket before i pass it on to her youngest. it's 100% cotton, so while research suggests that using a detergent solution at 40+ degrees (C) should knock out a lot, and rinsing enhances that effect further, i don't want to shrink it into oblivion. but sigh it's dishcloth cotton for ease of care, so i'll take a pic of it before i possibly ruin the textured 'monogramming' my sister labored over.

i figure i'll wash it with my usual detergent (7th Generation Free & Clear) on warm/hot, cool rinse it a couple times with an extra spin to wring water out, dry it on low, then seal it up in a trash bag to keep it clean. anything i'm not thinking of?

pooka on
    lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    Radiation, can someone say, apply to be your relative?!

• Options
    Uh, I have 2 brothers that are currently in college...so...yes?

Also if you guys want one, I would very much go with different wood (base price on just the wood was 50 bucks), but totally willing to make some shit for forumers as @minor incident should be willing to attest.

• Options
    Oh hey, @Radiation , I'm sanding down that deck box and gluing and sealing it in the next two days!

I think I will end up painting it a dark blue with a light blue on the inset