As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Diablo 3] old thread is old

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    You can change difficulty. You might have to do it before starting up an actual game. Its buried somewhere in game options, around where you pick adventure vs campaign.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    I think my seasonal wizard may have found the best named pair of pants ever.
    ik1rk0zjnldd.png

• Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    So speaking of difficulty and new console players, I bought this on the switch because I blindly follow every fad on the PA front page, and like Gabe I'm trying out Adventure mode for the first time. I think I've got the basics down: I grinded out to level 51, and wow is this way different from my original play through of the base game way back when it released. I just finished the first set of seasonal challenges, but the first one on the second page is to complete a Nephalim Rift on Expert, but it looks like I can't change my difficulty mid-season; I started in Normal because I didn't know this and it said it was for people who didn't have any gear. Am I missing something or do I need to reroll a new character for that and another for challenges on Hard?

From the main menu you can change the difficulty up. Once it’s set you then start the game. Once the game is started you can then only decrease the difficulty without exiting to the main menu.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    I got my first primal ever! :o

4IhiUzk.jpg

Would it be wrong to think that this is...possibly kinda good? For some builds before they get more specific? It doesn't have main stat like my existing one on the left which is great, anyone could use it.

I just used a Gift on it too for the free socket, I'm not even using it but I have like 6 of 'em so I don't care.

Probably best thing would be to change the 20% cold skill damage to main stat for whoever uses it I assume.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    PoketpixiePoketpixie Siege Registered User regular
    I like giving those to my follower.

• Options
    KlatuKlatu Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi OiRegistered User regular
    Put a socket and a gem of ease in that bad boy and you have the best power leveling weapon in the game. For self power leveling that is.

Steam id:Klatu - PS id: Klatu_PA - 3DS FC: 0920-0528-6680
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Poketpixie wrote: »
    You have to quit out to the menu to raise the difficulty usually. You can drop the difficulty in the middle of the game at any time though.

Ah whoops I got it backwards yeah

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    How is high level greater rift play among the various classes?

Meaning, does everyone eventually become a glass cannon? I assume so, like if you are pushing 120 or something you just have to be?

Or are there some classes that stay pretty tanky and the real struggle is beating the rift in time?

I would guess crusader and barb stay survivable for longer, like rift 80 and they don't get one shot, because they have to get into melee range more often unlike wizard/DH, and are kinda loners unlike necro/WD?

And how tanky are we talking, are there still things that one shot, or at worst you get 3 shot, or what. Just curious about that balance.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    The highest GRs I have reached are with both the Shadow Demon Hunter and Wizard (Meteor bomb build). Both are tanky and not glass cannon. I can't remember the highest I reached though. But the Wizard was a whole lot easier than my DH and funny enough both are up in the monsters face and not stand back and try to poke them to death. I know that the Barbarian can also go high, but never pushed that high with them.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    Hmm that's weird to me. I always hear of them as being glass cannon. I guess it depends on the build.

Maybe I'm being dumb by always prioritizing damage damage damage but I am starting to have tough times against the clock too.

• Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    Hmm that's weird to me. I always hear of them as being glass cannon. I guess it depends on the build.

Maybe I'm being dumb by always prioritizing damage damage damage but I am starting to have tough times against the clock too.

It really depends on the set, I never played Barbarian and only did Crusader a little, but the Impale DH felt more tanky than anything else I tried in the game. As long as you keep your buffs up it was pretty unkillable past GR 80.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Undead MonkeyUndead Monkey Anchorage, AKRegistered User regular
    I was taking a break from playing this season, but yesterday the idea of tooling around on a spin-to-win barb sounded so relaxing. And now here I am running a barb.

SteamID: Pudgestomp
    XBL: InvaderJims
    Bnet: Pudgestomp#11153
  • Options

Yeah it depends on the set you are focusing on. Demon Hunter with the UE set is glass cannon, but Shadow with Impale is tough now.

Wizard is tanky due to their shields.

Trust me, it used to bug the heck out of me that a huge Barbarian would die faster than a Wizard wearing almost nothing at all.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    Poketpixie wrote: »
    You have to quit out to the menu to raise the difficulty usually. You can drop the difficulty in the middle of the game at any time though.
    For whatever weird reason, you can increase the difficulty from Normal to Hard while in a game, but that's the only increase you can do. At least on PC anyway.

• Options
    I believe Barbarians, Crusaders, and Monks have an innate 30% damage reduction that the other classes do not have, but beyond that, tankiness really just comes down to (armor * resists * life * legendary/set bonus reductions * skill/rune/passive damage reductions). And Barbarians/Crusaders don't necessarily have better numbers in any of those categories than other classes that are gearing/skilling for it.

• Options
    E.CoyoteE.Coyote Registered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »

Yeah it depends on the set you are focusing on. Demon Hunter with the UE set is glass cannon, but Shadow with Impale is tough now.

Wizard is tanky due to their shields.

Trust me, it used to bug the heck out of me that a huge Barbarian would die faster than a Wizard wearing almost nothing at all.
    nothing at all...
    nothing at all...
    stupid sexy wizard.

• Options
    Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I also got this for my switch, even though I played the PC version into the ground, because I routinely make very poor decisions.

"I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • Options
    forty wrote: »
    I believe Barbarians, Crusaders, and Monks have an innate 30% damage reduction that the other classes do not have, but beyond that, tankiness really just comes down to (armor * resists * life * legendary/set bonus reductions * skill/rune/passive damage reductions). And Barbarians/Crusaders don't necessarily have better numbers in any of those categories than other classes that are gearing/skilling for it.

Well I would assume there's the fact that a crusader is probably going to use a shield with a 2H weapon in the other hand, and shields naturally have that block as well.

• Options
    The absolute greatest travesty of Diablo 3 is changing Trang-Oul to Trag'Oul.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I also got this for my switch, even though I played the PC version into the ground, because I routinely make very poor decisions.

Oh yeah? Well I bought it for PC on launch, then got it a year ago for PS4, and now have bought it again for Switch!

IM SMURT

• Options
    soylenthsoylenth Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    I don't even own a switch and I want to buy and switch and buy this for it, which I also already ahve on ps4 and pc.

• Options
    soylenth wrote: »
    I don't even own a switch and I want to buy and switch and buy this for it, which I also already ahve on ps4 and pc.

You can get the special GS version! So jealous.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Y’all are nuts. I have this on PC and PS4. And I’m this close to convincing myself to buy the Diablo Switch combo to have a second Switch for the house. Of course that would involve purchasing a copy or two of Mario Party as well.

• Options
    edited November 2018
    I'm with the last two of you. Except I already have a Switch and want to buy the D3 Switch and D3 pro controller.

Yeah I need help.

Edit: Sorry, didn't realize that davidsdurions and I have the same problem.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    I’ve spent $240 on Diablo 3.

• Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    So we’ve finally made it to Florida and I barely touched the switch due to the left joycon issue. Took it to Target here and got it swapped out. That being said, I’m an old fart that’s not really into Nintendo games, but... The lure of playing the switch, while docked on my 65” tv in the bedroom, is strong. Mostly it seems like it would be a great way to play some Diablo 3 without having to go get on my PC in the other room. Though I would probably end up buying a pro controller as even with the Joycons in the controller config thingy, it still feels off to me.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    The pro controller is pretty good. I won't be getting Diablo on switch but I imagine the pro controller would be great for it.

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Yeah the pro controller is great, and I hear you can use it on PC fairly easily (for non-Diablo games). It's actually directly supported by Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/games/353370/announcements/detail/1648757912601251834

Zek on
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    I’ve spent $240 on Diablo 3.

I made $300 on the RMAH

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    REALLY WISH A PUZZLE RING WOULD DROP ALREADY.

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    I'm with the last two of you. Except I already have a Switch and want to buy the D3 Switch and D3 pro controller.

Yeah I need help.

Diablo 3 thriving on macrotransactions.

• Options
    KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    forty wrote: »

Yeah I need help.

Diablo 3 thriving on macrotransactions.

The longest con.

• Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    I hadn't played this since the RMAH existed, so I just grabbed it on switch... and it's really good. I was sceptical of how it would play on console but I'm having a blast so far. So much new stuff, no more lag due to always-online, and it's on my preferred gaming device.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Has this been posted yet?
    https://youtu.be/CSR5qvoWkxI

• Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    Maybe I'm blind, but I cannot figure out how to activate adventure mode on my new seasonal character on the Switch. From the character select I don't see anything other than "continue".

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    There should be a “Game Settings” button to change mode and difficulty

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    Ugh, yes, I was blind. Thanks!

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    So I followed a guide to getting my free 6-piece set, and I've got a few questions:
    • All the additional season rewards are cosmetic right?
    • If I start a new seasonal character can I earn the 6-piece on them too or is it just once per season?
    • This character doesn't go away at the end of the season right?

I guess now I just grind away at rifts to earn dying breaths to upgrade rares into the specific weapon I need for my build. Or is it more efficient to do bounties?

Edit: once again the age old technique of bitching on the internet proves itself the cure for all RNG: Golden Flense dropped not more than 30m from me making this post.

italianranma on
    飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    So I followed a guide to getting my free 6-piece set, and I've got a few questions:
    • All the additional season rewards are cosmetic right?
    • If I start a new seasonal character can I earn the 6-piece on them too or is it just once per season?
    • This character doesn't go away at the end of the season right?

I guess now I just grind away at rifts to earn dying breaths to upgrade rares into the specific weapon I need for my build. Or is it more efficient to do bounties?

the free set is a once per season thing, so making a second character won't get you another free one. and the character doesn't go away at the end of the season, they just get turned into a non-seasonal character.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    As for your first question, not quite. One of the last season journey rewards is a permanent stash slot increase the carries over to non-season and even the next season. I believe it's the Conqueror level reward.

Other than that, everything else is cosmetic.

forty on