As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[BATTLETECH/MechWarrior] Thread Bombed From Orbit [Closed]

• NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Pulled the trigger on the MAD-IIC-D, don't have enough to do the standard build with it (mainly due to the engine), but I did set up a transitional build: MAD-IIC-D

I figure once I build up enough to buy the engine I can switch to the standard build with the 340XL/2 Gauss/2 ERLL/ECM. Need to figure out a skill tree too, considering something like this.

Took it out for a spin, ended up on Frozen City (man, people loved this map and Collective tonight). Didn't get to snipe as much given I didn't have any skill tree on it yet, but I did get a couple of kills and we won.

Also had a couple of awesome games tonight on my WLF-2.

First one was skirmish on Collective. Game ended up down to 2 on 1, my Wolfhound and a Raven vs some clan light (maybe medium? I can't remember what type it was) with jump jets that we ended up chasing all over the map when he'd try to snipe one of us. We got him down but we were both really beat up by the end.

Second one was Frozen City. Ended the game with a orange CT, but had 4 kills.

• RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Ok I need some help on a story mission. I am obviously missiong something. I believe it's the third story mission? Liberate Panzyr or something like that. Start off facing tanks to control turrets

So At first I was trying to draw them into the middle road, and then have a mech run in behind on the left side to destroy the tower. I thought I'd be able to jump down but it appears this isn't the case. I have to go through murder road. I had been shooting at mechs there, and waiting for them to commit to run towards the building. As I said, sadly this doesn't work. So it seems i have to go through murder road and face the mechs head on, even though one always has an A/C 20.

What am I supposed to do here/what am i doing wrong? I'm going to try it again from the beginning, but I can't help but feel I'm going about something all wrong.

Also, enemy turrets destroy me, these haven't done shit. What gives?

*edit* watched a lets play of it and that's exactly what I'm supposed to do, engage and move forward. I swear the guy had to be playing on easy or something, enemy mechs seemeed to blow up easier and he had heavy mechs already it seemed. Definitely was more decked out. Maybe I"m just bad, this game is hard, and/or I messed up somewhere. I'm constantly scraping buy on C-Bills. All my side missions were harder than the story mission though and some I didn't have the recommended tonnage.

RickRude on
    I feel like I'm banging my head against a wall. Maybe I'm just bad but I keep getting fucked on this mission.

• Kaboodles_The_AssassinKaboodles_The_Assassin Kill the meat. Save the metal.Registered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »
    Ok I need some help on a story mission. I am obviously missiong something. I believe it's the third story mission? Liberate Panzyr or something like that. Start off facing tanks to control turrets

So At first I was trying to draw them into the middle road, and then have a mech run in behind on the left side to destroy the tower. I thought I'd be able to jump down but it appears this isn't the case. I have to go through murder road. I had been shooting at mechs there, and waiting for them to commit to run towards the building. As I said, sadly this doesn't work. So it seems i have to go through murder road and face the mechs head on, even though one always has an A/C 20.

What am I supposed to do here/what am i doing wrong? I'm going to try it again from the beginning, but I can't help but feel I'm going about something all wrong.

Also, enemy turrets destroy me, these haven't done shit. What gives?

There's no need for special sneaky tactics or whatever. Just blow shit up. Bring long range weapons to make it easier.

Kill the 5 tanks, making sure to prioritize the SRM carriers. Once they're dead, all the enemy turrets become allied turret. Then it becomes a matter of marching up to the enemy and focus firing them one by one, while the turrets shoot their butts.

sXXjb1B.png
  • FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    It might just be that you need to do non-story missions for a while, rank up pilots and get new and heavier mechs.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
    It might just be that you need to do non-story missions for a while, rank up pilots and get new and heavier mechs.

The non story missions I had available required more tonnage. And I think my pilots are decent rank. When I watched the video though the guy definitely had bigger mechs than I did though.

• BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Liberate Panzyr is definitely one of the harder ones, though there's not much to say besides the AC20 platforms and the SRM Carriers are your absolute numero uno priority

Liberate Panzyr is definitely one of the harder ones, though there's not much to say besides the AC20 platforms and the SRM Carriers are your absolute numero uno priority

SRM carriers>AC20s>Rest.
    SRM carriers hit harder overall, will hit more often (since they fire like 60 SRM missiles) and they have tissue thin armor.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
  • IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    What mechs are you running, RickRude?

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
    They're all medium. I'd have to look for the exact models but know one is a blackjack and one is a centaurion. Would have to look for exact load outs but know most of them are set up for range. Having a PPC and an A/C 5. One has 3 sets of LRM with one being a LRM 15 ++.

I can't see needing to do other side missions as they have more skulls than the story mission. One even said I didn't have enough tonnage. I have no heavy mechs. The playthrough I watched the guy had two and just face tanked everything it seemed.

Mediums do not have enough weight capacity to carry LRMs effectively. Replace all LRMs with SRMs asap. This will free up a lot of weight for other weapons. It's not until you get to the Catapult that you can effectively use LRMs in vanilla Battletech (The top 3 LRM boats are the ON1-V, STK-F and HGN-733).
    Sure, you can field LRMs earlier, but they're mostly for popping turrets, and now you're on the clock and none of your priority targets are turrets.

If it's a Centurion A (which it probably is since this is after the Argo mission) you should probably equip it with an AC20. AC20s will pop a SRM carrier with a single shot (if you hit) and will seriously dent a Demolisher tank.

Not sure I agree with not packing LRMs until you get heavies. LRMs are super handy for stability damage and tagging vehicles and turrets from a distance. Not needing LoS (and therefore not exposing that mech to direct fire) gives you a lot of tactical flexibility, even when you are only rolling with mediums. Esp. if you have lucked into a good ++ version at that point.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • Ark EvensongArk Evensong The NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    (Shadow Hawk-2H and a Vindicator for the other two? Those are part of your starting lance.)

For mediums, an AC/5 and a PPC sounds hot and heavy to me. I guess the slow 50 tonners (Centurion, Hunchback, Enforcer) could pull it off, but for the rest know you're giving up a lot of durability (armor), mobility (Jump Jets) and/or heat management.

You want mobility for your front lines, because evasion pips are life. (Unless you're running Bulwark, in which case Standing Still is life. ... for the next 11 days anyway.)

Be aware that progressing the story missions will increase the standard difficulty/skull rating of the random missions. If you feel you're out of your depth already, be careful with pushing further forward. Also know you can go to Navigation and plot a course to some lower difficulty systems manually - you don't need to stick to travel contracts for skipping 'round the galaxy.

Ark Evensong on
  • Redspo0nRedspo0n Registered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »
    So this is funny.

3MPL and C-LB20X (3t ammo).

A[;D40n0|8f|OG|OG|l^p\0|oB|oBq\0|cBrP0sT0|oBtd0|NRud0|NRv@0|NRw:08080

VGL-1

I've got UAC20, Ermlx3, lmgx3 on my vgl-2. It's grand.

Sorry I couldnt get on last night too - sick kids and overwhelmed wife made for a long night.

"Hey, want a Skull Servent? He's Evil."
    XFIRE:redspo0n (Yep, Zero in there) XBL: Pinkspo0n
  • SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    edited November 2018

The non story missions I had available required more tonnage. And I think my pilots are decent rank. When I watched the video though the guy definitely had bigger mechs than I did though.

You are free to travel to other planets. The Priority "story" missions will wait forever if you need to grind out some better equipment. Contracts with paid travel (yellow) will always try to funnel you towards the Priority missions, but you can always manually travel anywhere* using the star map, you just have to pay the travel costs.

Each planet on the star map displays the avearge star rating for it's missions. Find one that has a lower rating you believe you can handle and go do missions there. Going back to the first 4 starting planets for example have very low ratings, but those are probably too easy and harder missions get you better salvage. You can complete contracts faster than they refresh and there's only a handful per planet, so once you've done all you feel you can handle, or if you've done them all, just move on to another planet.

Keep an eye out for Assassination contracts. They have one "boss" enemy that is usually heavier tonnage then their guard lances, making them a good way to salvage heavier mechs without having to take overall harder missions.

As for dealing with Hunchbacks, make use of your Precision Strike morale ability to target and destroy the right torso. It has lower armor than the center torso and once you destroy it, that mech is completely inefective.

SiliconStew on
    Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    chasm wrote: »
    Sorry...dropped with my unit instead. Terrible day and the games weren't much better. But I'll be available to play all weekend.

Sure, pick friends over... virtual friends.
    Redspo0n wrote: »
    So this is funny.

VGL-1

Sorry I couldnt get on last night too - sick kids and overwhelmed wife made for a long night.

Hey, sick kids and wife needing a tag out always is more important than blowing up robots. Hmm, nice. I might steal your "2" build for the rest of the event.

So last night I log in to discover that I bought the Vapor Eagle as a present from past me to today me. Yeah, I never realized I bought the basic pack when you all hyped it up. Sort of glad since it is a hilarious medium. Although I'm wondering if I should dust off my Huntsman after watching one last night.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
    Mediums do not have enough weight capacity to carry LRMs effectively. Replace all LRMs with SRMs asap. This will free up a lot of weight for other weapons. It's not until you get to the Catapult that you can effectively use LRMs in vanilla Battletech (The top 3 LRM boats are the ON1-V, STK-F and HGN-733).
    Sure, you can field LRMs earlier, but they're mostly for popping turrets, and now you're on the clock and none of your priority targets are turrets.

If it's a Centurion A (which it probably is since this is after the Argo mission) you should probably equip it with an AC20. AC20s will pop a SRM carrier with a single shot (if you hit) and will seriously dent a Demolisher tank.

The Centurion has 3 missile hard points and a lot of free tonnage making it the best LRM boat available until your Lance is well into heavies. The beauty of the Centurion is it is flexible enough to make a deadly close range brawler too, but it's slow speed can be a liability in that role. I ran 2 Centurions for a while so I could have the best of both.

Sorry...dropped with my unit instead. Terrible day and the games weren't much better. But I'll be available to play all weekend.

So this is funny.

VGL-1

Hey, sick kids and wife needing a tag out always is more important than blowing up robots. Hmm, nice. I might steal your "2" build for the rest of the event.

So last night I log in to discover that I bought the Vapor Eagle as a present from past me to today me. Yeah, I never realized I bought the basic pack when you all hyped it up. Sort of glad since it is a hilarious medium. Although I'm wondering if I should dust off my Huntsman after watching one last night.

I think I actually prefer the UAC10/2ML/MASC I've got on my Rival. I sounds like it's under-gunned, but the mobility advantage is great, and the Jam chance/duration feel more in line with my tactical choices.

I feel like when the 20 jams, I'm stuck floundering for a while, but the 10 comes back fast enough that I get a second poke with the lasers, and a position change "naturally" and it's back.

Unskilled so far, mind you.

But I suppose this wouldnt be an issue at all if I was loaded with LBX instead, which I've been toying with.

So this is funny.

VGL-1

I think I actually prefer the UAC10/2ML/MASC I've got on my Rival. I sounds like it's under-gunned, but the mobility advantage is great, and the Jam chance/duration feel more in line with my tactical choices.

I feel like when the 20 jams, I'm stuck floundering for a while, but the 10 comes back fast enough that I get a second poke with the lasers, and a position change "naturally" and it's back.

Unskilled so far, mind you.

But I suppose this wouldnt be an issue at all if I was loaded with LBX instead, which I've been toying with.

Yeah I'm greedy and stuff LBX everywhere I can. Not the best decision with some mechs, like the Vapor Eagle with its high torso hardpoints making it hard to hit small lights.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    They're all medium. I'd have to look for the exact models but know one is a blackjack and one is a centaurion. Would have to look for exact load outs but know most of them are set up for range. Having a PPC and an A/C 5. One has 3 sets of LRM with one being a LRM 15 ++.

I can't see needing to do other side missions as they have more skulls than the story mission. One even said I didn't have enough tonnage. I have no heavy mechs. The playthrough I watched the guy had two and just face tanked everything it seemed.

The game does a poor job of instructing you to look at other planets and generally build up mechs and capital. You can easily get into a situation as a new player where you "make it through" story missions and get stuck. The other posters have it right, sell what you need to to pay for travel to an easier planet and hunt for battle and assassinate missions that you can handle.

When missions become "easy" then go back to the story.

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    You can absolutely run a Centi LRM boat. It's just, well, once you get heavies, you'll understand why mediums just aren't great LRM boats. For mediums, though, yeah, the Centi is probably the best LRM boat.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
    edited November 2018
    The other general tip I would give is that 4 times out of 5 you should be using Vigilance instead of Precision Shot once your morale bar fills. Vigilance is insanely powerful - both getting braced and guarded AND eliminating instability AND being able to move up and shoot in one turn. Generous use of that ability for a lead mech moving up to take the bulk of fire and other mechs behind being able to hit the mechs exposed by the vigilant mover (esp. from cover or with Bulwark and not having moved).

Precision shot is sexy and attractive and you think you'll be William Tell. But Vigilance is a total workhorse. I know I under-used it in my first campaign.

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    I need to finish my campaign. I've been so scattered with other stuff... I dont even remember why I stopped

• nonoffensivenonoffensive Registered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »
    The other general tip I would give is that 4 times out of 5 you should be using Vigilance instead of Precision Shot once your morale bar fills. Vigilance is insanely powerful - both getting braced and guarded AND eliminating instability AND being able to move up and shoot in one turn. Generous use of that ability for a lead mech moving up to take the bulk of fire and other mechs behind being able to hit the mechs exposed by the vigilant mover (esp. from cover or with Bulwark and not having moved).

Precision shot is sexy and attractive and you think you'll be William Tell. But Vigilance is a total workhorse. I know I under-used it in my first campaign.

I use Precision Shot maybe once after first contact to hopefully finish off a target at the beginning of combat. Basically using up as much heat as possible and hopefully reducing their damage up front, before the battle starts to drag on. Then it's vigilance all day, preferably on a mech that has max evasion.

You are free to travel to other planets. The Priority "story" missions will wait forever if you need to grind out some better equipment. Contracts with paid travel (yellow) will always try to funnel you towards the Priority missions, but you can always manually travel anywhere* using the star map, you just have to pay the travel costs.

Each planet on the star map displays the avearge star rating for it's missions. Find one that has a lower rating you believe you can handle and go do missions there. Going back to the first 4 starting planets for example have very low ratings, but those are probably too easy and harder missions get you better salvage. You can complete contracts faster than they refresh and there's only a handful per planet, so once you've done all you feel you can handle, or if you've done them all, just move on to another planet.

Keep an eye out for Assassination contracts. They have one "boss" enemy that is usually heavier tonnage then their guard lances, making them a good way to salvage heavier mechs without having to take overall harder missions.

As for dealing with Hunchbacks, make use of your Precision Strike morale ability to target and destroy the right torso. It has lower armor than the center torso and once you destroy it, that mech is completely inefective.

I didn't even think about that. When I first started I was going for legs for salvage, but I've been just going for the head most times especially since I have someone that doubles their chance. Head shot goes up to 5% chance.

I made a bunch of saves so I should he able to go to an earlier one. I think if I try to fly somewhere now I'll go bankrupt. I had planned everything with flight time, recovery, money, to getting to this story mission. I've gotten close to beating it I feel.

My mechs are probably paper thin and built wrong but they feel fun to use. Feels good when that ppc hits, followed by the a/c 5 and then some missles come in and critical something. I know lasers are good but they feel like just pew pew.

• AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular

I didn't even think about that. When I first started I was going for legs for salvage, but I've been just going for the head most times especially since I have someone that doubles their chance. Head shot goes up to 5% chance.

I made a bunch of saves so I should he able to go to an earlier one. I think if I try to fly somewhere now I'll go bankrupt. I had planned everything with flight time, recovery, money, to getting to this story mission. I've gotten close to beating it I feel.

My mechs are probably paper thin and built wrong but they feel fun to use. Feels good when that ppc hits, followed by the a/c 5 and then some missles come in and critical something. I know lasers are good but they feel like just pew pew.

Yes yes good. Feel the power of the dakka.

Goody two shoes laser people don't understand the dakka.

• DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    I honestly would have gone for 4 UAC2s or 3 UAC5s. Merely to increase the mobility and available ammo. 4 UAC2s is still crazy firepower on a 55-tonner with JJs.

• NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    I may have gone a little nuts in my WLF-2

swg8vh0qwn4d.png

• Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    The loyalty jav is better than I expected. Replaced the PPC with two medium pulse lasers. Its an amazingly agile mech.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    So I refitted my centurion with an a/c 20++, a m laser, mlaser+, and srm 4+. Waiting for the mech bay to finish to try him out. He's not at full armor but has decent amount in the front, not much in the back. Doing some other story missions now for money and experience . I think I should have enough of both, but I only have 4 medium mech's that aren't great so I guess I need to grind some more.

In aren't battle mission now with 8 mechs. Jumped behind one and them missed with my weapons which lead to a nice fail. Didn't save either ugh

edited November 2018
    I thought you guys said I could travel to systems and do contracts? Went to one with one skull, and there's nothing here! I hope I don't go bankrupt, took me 21 days to travel :(

*edit* think I had an auto save to get paid to travel somewhere , but man that sucked.

I did with paid travel to a place just in time to get missions. There are 4 here

RickRude on
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    I thought you guys said I could travel to systems and do contracts? Went to one with one skull, and there's nothing here! I hope I don't go bankrupt, took me 21 days to travel :(

*edit* think I had an auto save to get paid to travel somewhere , but man that sucked.

I did with paid travel to a place just in time to get missions. There are 4 here

I always do a manual save before traveling unless it's directly to a priority mission and even then I usually do.

Or rather I used to always do that. The comically low sell price on a lot of things bugged me so I did some creative editing and accidentally ended up with truly absurd amount of credits because the game was balanced around the lower prices. I didn't really find the "you're always broke" mechanic all that fun so I never bothered to readjust prices back down :P

I was bored and decided to make a Light Vapor Eagle.

VGL-2

Why the XL380? It is because I had one laying around. Otherwise I would have gone with the 400. It is hilarious seeing a Light freak out seeing me keeping up with them.

oosik_betsuni.png

Was this a system you had recently been to and already done all the missions there so they hadn't had time to refresh? If not, sounds like a bug to me. Contracts are procedurally generated, saving and reloading will force it to create a new set on the planet you are at as will simply traveling to a different planet.

I've had systems that had nothing but contracts that I was locked out of from being too low rep, and I've had systems where all the contract slots (3 in the base game) were filled by travel contracts and no local contracts were available, but I don't recall ever seeing zero contracts. Even "abandoned" systems that don't have a store still have contracts.

It's unnecessary, but I suppose if it's frustrating you, a simple mod you can do is increase the contracts per system:
    Open the following file ( Notepad++ is recommended to handle the formatting):
    <steam folder>/steamapps/common/BATTLETECH/BattleTech_Data/StreamingAssets/data/simGameConstants/simGameConstants.json

Find the line: "MaxContractsPerSystem" : 3,

and change it to something higher like 5. You'll have to exit completely and load the game, it won't take effect if the game is running. Unless you get into the whole modding thing using ModTek and BTML to inject lines into the files, you would have to change this file again each time the game gets updated.

VGL-2

Why the XL380? It is because I had one laying around. Otherwise I would have gone with the 400. It is hilarious seeing a Light freak out seeing me keeping up with them.

I've been thinking about slapping the big engine in one and then working balistics around it.. run around with like.. a UAC2 and some small pulse or something.

But then I rip another string from the uac20 and think.. no.. this is fast enough =p

• Kaboodles_The_AssassinKaboodles_The_Assassin Kill the meat. Save the metal.Registered User regular
    edited November 2018

VGL-2

Store the ammo with the guns. There's no sense storing then in the RT separate from the right. I'd Also recommend storing ammo in the head and moving the TC to the right torso.

Also, that thing has enough ammo to fire the MGs nonstop for 5 minutes. You could easily reduce that by half and still not run out in most matches.

Kaboodles_The_Assassin on
    sXXjb1B.png

VGL-2

I've been thinking about slapping the big engine in one and then working balistics around it.. run around with like.. a UAC2 and some small pulse or something.

But then I rip another string from the uac20 and think.. no.. this is fast enough =p

Can't believe I'm quote-tunneling myself...

I just realized, this is exactly what the Rival is for! Cram the big engine and the masc in next to some anti-light weapons... *goes to see if Smurfys will load on the work computer...

• ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular

VGL-2

I just realized, this is exactly what the Rival is for! Cram the big engine and the masc in next to some anti-light weapons... *goes to see if Smurfys will load on the work computer...

Well, there aren't a whole lot of anti-light weapons you could put on the thing (maybe a single Streak-6)...but here's what I kinda came up with:

https://mech.nav-alpha.com/#3f12bbf1_VGL-RI

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
    Erlkönig wrote: »

VGL-2

Well, there aren't a whole lot of anti-light weapons you could put on the thing (maybe a single Streak-6)...but here's what I kinda came up with:

https://mech.nav-alpha.com/#3f12bbf1_VGL-RI

See, I think that works - well, provided you have steady enough hand to HML-scalpel parts off juking lights - but yeah