As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[DnD 5E] You can't triple stamp a double stamp!

• override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Another roll method that's is to have everyone at the table roll 4d6 and drop the lowest 6 times. Take the entire pool of numbers, roll for your players to determine who goes first and have them pick a number for a stat of their choice, remove it from the pool, next player picks one, repeat so on and so forth.

I've only done this once and it was fun, I can see the problems that can arise, but it basically means everyone will be good at Their Thing and bad at Some Thing

override367 on
  • Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    I threw 2 Gibbering Mouthers against my level 4 party and it was an intense fight. 5E mouthers are DEADLY with all their status procs of a non standard type.

PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
  • SleepSleep Registered User regular
    I threw 2 Gibbering Mouthers against my level 4 party and it was an intense fight. 5E mouthers are DEADLY with all their status procs of a non standard type.

Yeah mouthers are deceptively deadly

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Nyht wrote: »
    Yeah I've read a lot of pretty condescending remarks about people's rolling methods and I'm not sure I get why exactly that those things bother people enough to pick at them.

People do whatever feels right or is fun for their table, you know? It's a group of friends (or co-workers or whatever) getting together to have a good time. Why does it matter to other people how they get their stats?

"But they claim it's rolling to be random but there are so many failsafes, it's not REALLY random!"

Eh, it's still random but it's a pretty "safe" random, admittedly. And I get why people do it. A lot of people like the feeling of winning at something or just feeling powerful. There's something satisfying in rolling for stats still for a lot of people (guilty) but also not wanting to still be weak in a game about heroic fantasy (also probably guilty but I don't get to be a player usually).

I've played anywhere from standard array to 4d6 drop the lowest, to just saying 18, 16, 14, 12, 10, 8 or 18, 16, 14, 12, 10, 10. In general, I've found my group likes the stronger characters but even having the stats higher on the paper, it doesn't really change the game at all. As the DM I can easily just make small adjustments on my end. Often times I'll give monsters more HP or max hp instead of whats recommended but they players don't care and are having a blast.

I just don't know if some of you people realize how condescending you sound when you pick at how other people "roll their characters". It's very borderline the "you're having your fun wrong" situation.

Hey, you do you. However you want to run your game, that's cool.

But a few of us having been criticizing rolling for stats because others have pointed out how it's imbalanced their game and lead to feelings of incompetence due to one player having no stat above a 12 and another player having amazing stats.

We aren't trying to govern people's fun.

We're trying to highlight that this method can lead to people not having fun.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Like I said in some thread about rolling for stats. When I was a kid someone down the street from me babysat us out of boredom brought his copy of Recon the rpg where we rolled out stats for a good hour and I died in the opening salvo
    Pretty much soured me on rolling my stats

I do understand if it's a small die roll for basic stats {Str, agil, Int and so on} past that I really find it questionable

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    One thing I kind of liked (that you need a boatload of dice for but whatevs), is 4d6 drop lowest, 6 times, and take all the individual die numbers, and put them in a "pot" and have players go around and pick one die at a time, then you take all those dierolls and arrange them into your stats.

Could maybe even do that with 3d6, 6 times. Makes it a bit mote communal and someone may take a "1' just because they can actually use it or have an idea for a character that has a low stat

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    I still find that my favourite way to roll stats is to have the party collectively roll one array and then they all have to use the same array

• SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Can the DnD Beyond people help me out here? I don't know much about Beyond except for the excellent cloud based character sheets (which are severely restricted unless you pay for content...including the PHB)

I was looking at the pricing structure for the modules (in particular Mad Mage), and while I'm not keen on paying extra anyway for a book I already/soon will own the pricing structure of this module is confusing to me:

$24.99 for the module in DnD Beyond.
    PLUS $5.99 for 10 Magic Items (or $1.99 each!)
    PLUS $5.99 for 10 Monsters (or $1.99 each!)
    PLUS $19.99 for the Compendium Pack, which I don't fully understand but it links the module to the compendium(?) and gives you artwork and maps.

I don't understand.... If you have to buy the magic items separately so you can plop them onto your characters...and buy the monsters separately so you can have them readily available in the database...and if you have to buy the maps and artworks separately so as to use them via roll20 or whatever... what does the $24.99 cover? Just the text of the adventure itself?

Maybe I'm too old for this shit now... I had to learn how to use the internet, I wasn't born with it in my hand.... My first thought (despite drooling over the amazing character sheets) is to fuck all this noise and give me a book, some paper and a pencil.

Steelhawk on
  • NyhtNyht Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Yeah I've read a lot of pretty condescending remarks about people's rolling methods and I'm not sure I get why exactly that those things bother people enough to pick at them.

People do whatever feels right or is fun for their table, you know? It's a group of friends (or co-workers or whatever) getting together to have a good time. Why does it matter to other people how they get their stats?

"But they claim it's rolling to be random but there are so many failsafes, it's not REALLY random!"

Eh, it's still random but it's a pretty "safe" random, admittedly. And I get why people do it. A lot of people like the feeling of winning at something or just feeling powerful. There's something satisfying in rolling for stats still for a lot of people (guilty) but also not wanting to still be weak in a game about heroic fantasy (also probably guilty but I don't get to be a player usually).

I've played anywhere from standard array to 4d6 drop the lowest, to just saying 18, 16, 14, 12, 10, 8 or 18, 16, 14, 12, 10, 10. In general, I've found my group likes the stronger characters but even having the stats higher on the paper, it doesn't really change the game at all. As the DM I can easily just make small adjustments on my end. Often times I'll give monsters more HP or max hp instead of whats recommended but they players don't care and are having a blast.

I just don't know if some of you people realize how condescending you sound when you pick at how other people "roll their characters". It's very borderline the "you're having your fun wrong" situation.

But a few of us having been criticizing rolling for stats because others have pointed out how it's imbalanced their game and lead to feelings of incompetence due to one player having no stat above a 12 and another player having amazing stats.

Sorry I guess I missed the posts stating this. I only read the last few pages that either called it stupid, mocked, or some other remark that came off as condescending and missed the message of people mentioning they were just trying to help. If someone actually did say that and I missed it, then I apologize to those people for my remark.

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Zonugal wrote: »

Sorry I guess I missed the posts stating this. I only read the last few pages that either called it stupid, mocked, or some other remark that came off as condescending and missed the message of people mentioning they were just trying to help. If someone actually did say that and I missed it, then I apologize to those people for my remark.

Ain't no thang!

We all just want the same thing, to have fun and...

And well...

TO SLAY STRAHD!!!

Zonugal on
  • KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    we are falling
    the light is calling

This is not debate and discourse chat.

How hard would it be to create (featuring) Dante (from the Devil May Cry series)? I assume some type of weird tiefling mixed with berserker multiclassed with warrior, maybe spellsword.

Kadoken on
    Kadoken wrote: »
    we are falling
    the light is calling

How hard would it be to create (featuring) Dante (from the Devil May Cry series)? I assume some type of weird tiefling mixed with berserker multiclassed with warrior, maybe spellsword.

I don't know a lot about Dante (or even the Devil May Cry series) but I feel like Crossbow Expert is a necessary component of his adaptation.

edited November 2018
    Steelhawk wrote: »
    Can the DnD Beyond people help me out here? I don't know much about Beyond except for the excellent cloud based character sheets (which are severely restricted unless you pay for content...including the PHB)

I was looking at the pricing structure for the modules (in particular Mad Mage), and while I'm not keen on paying extra anyway for a book I already/soon will own the pricing structure of this module is confusing to me:

PLUS $19.99 for the Compendium Pack, which I don't fully understand but it links the module to the compendium(?) and gives you artwork and maps.

I don't understand.... If you have to buy the magic items separately so you can plop them onto your characters...and buy the monsters separately so you can have them readily available in the database...and if you have to buy the maps and artworks separately so as to use them via roll20 or whatever... what does the $24.99 cover? Just the text of the adventure itself?

Maybe I'm too old for this shit now... I had to learn how to use the internet, I wasn't born with it in my hand.... My first thought (despite drooling over the amazing character sheets) is to fuck all this noise and give me a book, some paper and a pencil.

If you buy a book you get everything, you also have the option to just buy an individal item, monster, or the compendium content if you don't want everything. If you were to buy one of those addon items, it reduces the price of the entire book by that amount.

If you'd like all of the D&D beyond content thats available other than Ravinca I can send you a campaign link, once you make a character (any character) using that link youd have access to all of the content so you can see what its like (although you will also see all my nonsense homebrew from every game im in)

override367 on
    Dante is a weird character to try to adapt to D&D.

Tiefling feels right.

Divine soul sorcerer with an evil power source.

Battle master fighter

He needs great weapon fighting and crossbow master he'll need to have high str, dex, and cha as well.

If you buy a book you get everything, you also have the option to just buy an individal item, monster, or the compendium content if you don't want everything. If you were to buy one of those addon items, it reduces the price of the entire book by that amount.

OHHHHH.... I get it now. Those extras are not add-ons to the required $24.99 as I suspected... but rather you can populate your database with only those things. OK, that makes a little more sense now. Maybe I'm getting too cynical in my old-man grumpiness.

Thank you.

• Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    Kadoken wrote: »
    we are falling
    the light is calling

Insane STR+DEX+CON, insane regen. A lot of his power are due to his weapons though, so I don't know what class he should be. Probably a fighter. Definitely needs Goading Attack.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    I love characters that have flaws, are unoptimized, and were built on somekind of character concept instead of what works in combat.
    Ofcourse, that kind of character relies on a GM that is willing to run enemies who also are not always combat optimized, and encounters that don't demand flawless combat machines.

I don't really see this is metagaming or going easy on players.
    If i make (as an example of an idea i have been toying with) a warlock (pact of the tome, ofcourse) who is more concerned about collecting, translating and copying ancient texts (background: guild artisan (scribe)), and living in comfort (with a spell list and invocation/feat choices that reflect this persons background and goals), this character would be unlikely to go on super dangerous adventures without a very good reason.
    So any challenge this scribe takes on, needs to be one they consider possible to survive, and worth risking their life on.

Ofcourse once the group is together, first couple adventures are done, it's easy to make characters keep going just out of habit, camaraderie and/or over confidence.

Sleep wrote: »
    Dante is a weird character to try to adapt to D&D.

Tiefling feels right.

Divine soul sorcerer with an evil power source.

Battle master fighter

He needs great weapon fighting and crossbow master he'll need to have high str, dex, and cha as well.

What about something like a Hexblade Warlock?

Or a mix of Sorcerer, Warlock, and Paladin?

The battle master fighter is important because you can do a lot of the pushing and heavy attack rounds (action surge is super dope). Really any casting class is basically secondary to the fighter aspects. Dante's go to move is pushing attack straight up jump to meet smack a few more times deliver to ground.

Primo dante performance should be: close to enemy power attack pushing attack with first attack while jumping make extra attacks, action surge make all attacks again.

Simulating devil trigger is too hard, youd have to stack too many buffs. A good compromise however would be haste. The only reason the dante build needs to dig into casting is to get to haste, and maybe levitate.

The bigger concerns for dante are always his magic weapons they give him half his magical powers.

Wouldn't Dante be a bard of somekind?

• Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    Proficiencies in Athletics, Acrobatics and Performance, certainly.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
    No, wait, brain fart, not Dante the writer with a mancrush on Virgil, but Dante the game protagonist.

• TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    UA was released for ship ownership, maintenance, etc. Interesting read, but of course it's got issues. The most obvious one to me was the downtime section. Every month, your ship earns you 5d20 gold (seems small, but w/e). However, if any one of those rolls is a 1, you suffer complications such as a crew mutiny, ship pressed into service, caught smuggling, or just disappear, and 4 of the 6 mean you lose the ship at least temporarily.

The probability of rolling a 1 in 5 d20s is about 23%. So every 4-5 months you can expect something bad to happen to your ship, and you expect to lose that ship 1-2 times per year. Of the remaining options, you either make no money or owe several hundred gold paid over months.

On the one hand, this seems like a huge waste of time and no way to make actual money whatsoever, considering the costs of recovering the ship each time it gets lost and the relatively low profit. On the other hand, knowing how much money people waste on their boats today, it might be pretty accurate.

Terrendos on
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Nyysjan wrote: »
    Wouldn't Dante be a bard of somekind?

Which Dante though?

edited November 2018
    Terrendos wrote: »
    UA was released for ship ownership, maintenance, etc. Interesting read, but of course it's got issues. The most obvious one to me was the downtime section. Every month, your ship earns you 5d20 gold (seems small, but w/e). However, if any one of those rolls is a 1, you suffer complications such as a crew mutiny, ship pressed into service, caught smuggling, or just disappear, and 4 of the 6 mean you lose the ship at least temporarily.

The probability of rolling a 1 in 5 d20s is about 23%. So every 4-5 months you can expect something bad to happen to your ship, and you expect to lose that ship 1-2 times per year. Of the remaining options, you either make no money or owe several hundred gold paid over months.

On the one hand, this seems like a huge waste of time and no way to make actual money whatsoever, considering the costs of recovering the ship each time it gets lost and the relatively low profit. On the other hand, knowing how much money people waste on their boats today, it might be pretty accurate.

I think that's fine for when the players aren't "using" their ship

If they are driving it around since they're capable lunatics/pirates/murderhobos/crimes against nature heroes they should be able to earn substantially more

like if you just got the crew doing cargo runs while your druid is dating a teenage monarch who lives in a town of birds and the rest of the party is busy jumping off the plateau to see "who can survive the most jagged rocks impaling them" and artus cimber is running around apologizing to the aarakocra, very little earnings is totally okay

in fact it might provide some catharsis when they get back to their boat and find their crew have all contracted far realm scurvy, probably as a direct punishment against them by the gods

Updates:
    - Druid smacked the surviving monarch of Omu in the face for being rude, and then grappled her and threatened to hurt her if she didn't stop acting so entitled, the book says she falls for one of the adventurers so I figured... sure why not the first person literally in her entire life to stand up to her. I didn't expect the druid to cloister herself alone with the queen for a few days to provide a reality check about the state of the world and her fallen kingdom and start dating her
    - Bard and wizard assembled a child using Acererak's golem machine and used the floating, talkative skull of a 10 year old girl they found as the final piece in it (after finding a face to sew on it). Since its a flesh golem, its slow to respond, so she mostly drags her body around by her floating head, it's super creepy and unnatural and kind of like The Ring. Artus Cimber vomited when he found out and is seriously considering switching to Ras Nsi's team and letting Dendar the Night Serpent devour the world. The party's ranger is on the same page. When she cries she fires scorching rays out of her eyes (I mean, they're not her original eyes, but they fit in the skull)
    - Warlock gave a bag of beans to an aarakocra and told him to drop the entire bag on the Pterrorfolk village from high above in the dead of night. I'm going to have to resolve that next session. I like Warlock.
    - Ranger made friends with a weretiger and convinced her to bite him, his pet is getting jealous of how well they fight together. Each of them is convinced they are the only sane individuals on the continent

override367 on
  • Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    You know your players are tired when talking about grinding up Kyber shards with drugs for a high devolves into people joking about summoning narwhal horned ass demon donkeys, a side effect of taking to much of said Kyber poweder drugs.

PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
    edited November 2018
    So im digging in on the ravnica book today.

From a skim it seems like i might need to steal a bunch of this content for my game.

But whoooo boy illusionist bracers. That shit is broke, you gotta like laser target who gets those.

Though a dual wielding swashbuckler with green flame blade and illusionist braces sounds fun to watch in action

Sleep on
    edited November 2018
    whew those would make a sorlock fire 4 eldritch blasts with quicken spell

at level 11 that'd be 12 beams

override367 on
    Finally I can make my Iron Man D&D character! 12 beams!!!

edited November 2018
    I have a character idea for an Aasimar Paladin/Hexblade/Rogue that I want to take into Ravenloft whenever my buddy gets his CoS game up and running. The idea being that she's a teeny tiny young woman serving some variety of vengeful Angel Lord (I assume there are Celestial versions of Demon Lords in 5e) rather than a proper deity.

Start with Pally I know for the proficiencies, then dip into Hexblade for 3, then maybe alternate between Pally and Rogue? I know I'd lose some spell/smite progression but I might be OK with that for the character flavour and the sneak attacks. Also the multiclass requirement of STR13 for Paladin is really tripping me up too. I'm picturing a woman who you would definitely not expect to pack a huge punch suddenly coalesce a giant fuck-off weapon in her hands and wallop you but good with her eventual 20 in CHA dictating all attacks and damages. I'd rather use STR as a dump stat and focus on CHA, DEX and WIS.

My question is Paladin really worth the heavy armor and smites? And is it worth trying to finagle a way to get around the multiclassing STR requirement with my DM?

Steelhawk on
  • iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    I generally don't like 3 class multis, it takes forever for their stuff to come on line and you run into the brick wall of MAD. Personally, I'd stick with paladin and warlock, and get your roguish flavor from your background.

That's a good point. And also I just remembered that Sneak Attacks need to use a finesse weapon, which ruins the "tiny girl with a giant scary weapon" look that I was going for.

my last curse of strahd game that fell apart had 3 multiclass hexblades in it

I have no idea what crawford was thinking making hex warrior a level 1 ability instead of a deeper invocation

Everyone deciding to be a Warlock in Ravenloft is a bold choice.

I'm sure there will be no repercussions for this path.

• Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    I find D&D 5e poor for multi-classing. It’s just not up to it. Lots of things in a class rely on you following it from start to finish.

It might be an idea to go Hexblade, but instead you’re a “Angelwing” or whatever you’d like to call it.

I guess is heavy armour the point?

wmqxrbb1pgva.jpeg

Or is her being unassuming the cool part?

tj04qqdwvxyp.jpeg

I’m also a big believer in custom backgrounds for that game. All they are is a profiency or two, a skill and a vaguely useful event. That would easily get you Stealth and whatever you think you need plot-wise.

Edit: Also I’ve not read every class back to back but there’s likely an oath for paladin that is of vengeance, take that with a stealthy background and you could well be set. I’d say that though paladins are righteous by design, you could wing it as any class. Why not an angel’s rogue (sub-class assassin!), doing what they can’t for the great good?

Endless_Serpents on
    I have a character idea for an Aasimar Paladin/Hexblade/Rogue that I want to take into Ravenloft whenever my buddy gets his CoS game up and running. The idea being that she's a teeny tiny young woman serving some variety of vengeful Angel Lord (I assume there are Celestial versions of Demon Lords in 5e) rather than a proper deity.

Start with Pally I know for the proficiencies, then dip into Hexblade for 3, then maybe alternate between Pally and Rogue? I know I'd lose some spell/smite progression but I might be OK with that for the character flavour and the sneak attacks. Also the multiclass requirement of STR13 for Paladin is really tripping me up too. I'm picturing a woman who you would definitely not expect to pack a huge punch suddenly coalesce a giant fuck-off weapon in her hands and wallop you but good with her eventual 20 in CHA dictating all attacks and damages. I'd rather use STR as a dump stat and focus on CHA, DEX and WIS.

My question is Paladin really worth the heavy armor and smites? And is it worth trying to finagle a way to get around the multiclassing STR requirement with my DM?

Straight out hexblade should get you where you wanna go mechanically (you can get smites from invocations now).

Heavy Armor and Smites was my thinking, yeah. I was thinking to mostly roll with Paladin and take at least 3 levels of Warlock to make sure I get some invocations (Agonizing Blast for one) and Pact of the Blade.

• ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Paladin and Hexblade combo is devastating, full out. Multi-Classing works just fine... for Charisma based classes. Got a friend that is a mish-mash of Paladin/Hexblade/Bard and it's disgusting.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
    edited November 2018
    It's tough to do that multiclass balance, paladin is just fantastic with how good the stuff it gets is at basically every level until 6

If you're going to start paladin I'd definitely take the second level too for paladin spells and smites

override367 on
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Also my understanding is if you start paladin you don't need to worry about the strength requirements. Just be prepared to be sub optimal at level 1 and stick with medium armor and a shield. Take the first level of hexblade at level 2 and you'll be good to go.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
This discussion has been closed.