As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Magic The Gathering: Arena] The CCG that started it all, now F2P. New set incoming

• milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Sure Strike is good. +2/+2 is less so

I ate an engineer
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Surestike / Beamsplitter is pretty devastating in draft

also I dunno I'm never found Cosmotronic wave to really be worth it. Its slow to the point the 1 dmg rarely kills anything.

• KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular

also I dunno I'm never found Cosmotronic wave to really be worth it. Its slow to the point the 1 dmg rarely kills anything.

Cosmotronic Wave isn't about the damage. It's about the falter effect (creatures cannot block).

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Kay wrote: »

Cosmotronic Wave isn't about the damage. It's about the falter effect (creatures cannot block).

And in a Boros mirror it can wipe their board. There's a lot of 2/1s and Healer's Hawks.

• IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    Yeah you want 1 Cosmotronic Wave in any draft Boros deck.

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • furbatfurbat Registered User regular
    Whatever they did to 'fix' the disconnect issues has really screwed me. I had it happen again, but this time I closed the client and was barely able to make it back to the game before my timer ran out.

KalTorak wrote: »

And in a Boros mirror it can wipe their board. There's a lot of 2/1s and Healer's Hawks.

It's still not about the damage, that's just an upside on top of the falter. Boros also has a bunch of mentor effects, so splashing Wave in a Dimir deck isn't something you're going to do.

ew9y0DD.png
  • GriswoldGriswold that's rough, buddyRegistered User regular
    milski wrote: »

1-mana tricks are pretty good when a mechanic incentivizes opponents to block as heavily as Mentor does

FFXIV: Brick Shizzhouse - Zalera (Crystal)
    Path of Exile: snowcrash7
    MTG Arena: Snow_Crash#34179
    Battle.net: Snowcrash#1873
  • furbatfurbat Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Boom, every day this week 7 win run. I dunno what's going on with my client. Nothing had happened in game for about 2 minutes so I figured I was disconnected again. I then got the message to reconnect. This was the final game for win 7 and I was just about to win. The client kicked me back to the start screen and when I went back to CE I found out I had gotten the win. My opponent must have conceded? Oh well, I got a crappy mythic and I'm up on gold for today even having gone 3-3 (due to an earlier disconnect), 1-3, and then 7-1

I have seen zero other golgari decks as of late. I think people are giving up on the deck. All mono-red, white/boros aggro, mono-u, and izzet.

furbat on
  • TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    Griswold wrote: »
    milski wrote: »

1-mana tricks are pretty good when a mechanic incentivizes opponents to block as heavily as Mentor does

Yeah, Take Heart seemed pretty popular at the PT too. It's not Sure Strike, but I think it's pretty great in Boros.

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Sure Strike doesn't thwart targeted removal either.

I know in constructed combat tricks are iffy but taking it as a universal given is silly too

in a fast draft deck board control is all you're got. You get behind in creatures you're boned. A one or two mana combat trick sometimes makes or breaks you there.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I mean you really can't judge cards the same for Constructed and Limited. The formats play totally differently. That's why LSV splits up his set reviews.

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I'm not a big fan of take heart but it has its uses.

Cosmotronic Wave is fucking awesome in a boros deck. I have won SO many draft games because the opponent thought they were save and I cosmo waved their blockers away and was able to swing in, mentor stuff, combat trick stuff, and kill my opponent. 1 of them is practically mandatory in boros, 2 is probably overkill.

I'm torn on the kraul flyer 4/1. He can be good but is what, a 5 drop? Then to bring him back you have to discard a creature, pay 3 mana, then pay 5 mana again to actually play him? Seems really expensive.

Sure Strike is a good combat trick that synergizes pretty well with a variety of stuff in boros

edited November 2018
    I take it in Boros decks for sure. Its great for giving mentor a boost

nexuscrawler on
    edited November 2018
    I don't like Kraul Swarm, but if I'm stuck in a Golgari deck then sometimes it's the only way I have of closing out a long game. I'm never happy about it though; thing dies to literally every piece of removal or flyer.

edit: I think Boros likes combat tricks in general more than usual, just because Mentor really encourages blocking. You can either use the trick before combat to make sure Mentor triggers, or hold it up to get them when they try to trade for your Blade Instructor or Hammer Dropper.

KalTorak on
  • cncaudatacncaudata Registered User regular
    furbat wrote: »
    Boom, every day this week 7 win run. I dunno what's going on with my client. Nothing had happened in game for about 2 minutes so I figured I was disconnected again. I then got the message to reconnect. This was the final game for win 7 and I was just about to win. The client kicked me back to the start screen and when I went back to CE I found out I had gotten the win. My opponent must have conceded? Oh well, I got a crappy mythic and I'm up on gold for today even having gone 3-3 (due to an earlier disconnect), 1-3, and then 7-1

I have seen zero other golgari decks as of late. I think people are giving up on the deck. All mono-red, white/boros aggro, mono-u, and izzet.

You're playing golgari too? Apologies if I missed it earlier.

PSN: Broodax- battle.net: broodax#1163
    I'm gonna do more drafts on stream tonight, I wanna get into that MTGA featured streamer list thing. Plus it's fun and chat helps me win! I've gotten pretty solid at drafting ravnica, I've more or less gone infinite which is great. Rare drafting pretty much doesn't happen for me now because I have nearly everything I want. And maybe I'll do some of those direct challenge things, assuming their server doesn't blow up like last night.

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Wow. I have no idea what the deck I just played was about. Dawn of Hope, Fountain of Renewal, didn't play a single creature, just a couple of DoH tokens. Every single counterspell in the game used against me, then two Teferis.

What's even the win condition there?

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    Wow. I have no idea what the deck I just played was about. Dawn of Hope, Fountain of Renewal, didn't play a single creature, just a couple of DoH tokens. Every single counterspell in the game used against me, then two Teferis.

The Teferi exiling all your shit.

• KorrorKorror Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »

Your opponent dying from a rage induced stroke.

Joking aside, dawn of hope is a decent win condition and at least end games faster than Teferi. They can make 1-2 tokesn a turn and turn them sideways instead of exiling all your stuff and relying on Teferi tucking himself to avoid milling themselves to death.

Battlenet ID: NullPointer
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Next weirdo deck: Nezahal and infinite card draw to keep 'em from being targeted.

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I put together a Dimir deck that I legit thought was awful. It barely seems to have a win condition, or at least I wasn't seeing an obvious one. Turns out my win condition is cycling my entire deck to get two 1/1 bird tokens out every time I cast cheap card draw, and making my opponent ragequit.

What is this I don't even.
  • P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    real control decks don't have a win condition

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Real control decks aren't about winning, they're about making your opponent ragequit.

edited November 2018
    I swear to god every pick 1 I get is like this. I don't want any of these cards (I mean I want some *if* I'm in that guild already, but come on).

82wt0r4t6la6.png

cncaudata on
    I'd take Righteous Blow or Demotion in that pack. None of the creatures are exciting, those are both """removal""".

If that Guildgate was ANYTHING but Boros, I'd probably take that. Or Notion Rain.

ew9y0DD.png
    Yeah, when you're considering first pick guildgate, that's my life.

• SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Assure/Assemble is ranked p high. It's not the most exciting card but versatility is good.

And with a meh pack if you end up not being in the colors of your p1p1, oh well, it's not like you passed up anything else amazing.

e: And if you go Selesnya, you might see Demotion, Righteous Blow, or the Rosemane come back around, any of which I feel like would be swell to get as a late pick.

Surfpossum on
    Assure Assemble seems like a clear choice in that pack to me. Combat trick/indestructible, or 6 power and toughness spread across 3 creatures.

Otherwise Notion Rain or the Rosemane Centaur or the Righteous Blow are all good cards.

Assure/Assemble is indeed a great card.

But I'm not going to first pick it in Arena draft where the bots hate Gold cards, Selesnya is the weakest guild, and there's removal that fits in Boros right there.

ew9y0DD.png
  • Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    Surfpossum wrote: »
    Reading up on the Mirari (which is a thing people fought in a pit over), I'm reminded of why Magic lore is so great.

This orb of power shows up on a plane and starts wreaking havoc as power structures crumble and alliances fail due to warring over it; murders, betrayals, city- and eventually continent-wide devastation follows its wake, ecosystems become horribly mutated, a gat dang false god is created in the turmoil,

and then Karn shows up and is like whoops, my b, I dropped that.

And then goes and sticks it in Memnarch and proceeds to forget about him while he goes faffing about somewhere else.

And all this is small potatoes compared to Urza's shenanigans.

Planeswalkers! No sense of right and wrong.

wait so does this mean the phyrexians have the mirari

• NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    So I wanted to try out that GRN Constructed event. It's constructed with only GRN cards allowed. I'm apparently the only person interested in playing it though, since it's been a five minute wait to find an opponent for my first match.

I don't think anyone has had chance to put a deck together for it, yet. I was thinking about it, but I'm too tired to brew right now.

Also I lost my 7/x winstreak in Constructed Event. :(

7/2, 7/1, 7/0, 7/1, 6/3 ;_;_;_;_;

ew9y0DD.png
  • GriswoldGriswold that's rough, buddyRegistered User regular
    cncaudata wrote: »
    I swear to god every pick 1 I get is like this. I don't want any of these cards (I mean I want some *if* I'm in that guild already, but come on).

82wt0r4t6la6.png

I think Assure//Assemble and Notion Rain are both defensible P1P1's here, and both fine cards. You can't always open Niv-Mizzet, unfortunately.

FFXIV: Brick Shizzhouse - Zalera (Crystal)
    Path of Exile: snowcrash7
    MTG Arena: Snow_Crash#34179
    Battle.net: Snowcrash#1873
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Surfpossum wrote: »
    Reading up on the Mirari (which is a thing people fought in a pit over), I'm reminded of why Magic lore is so great.

This orb of power shows up on a plane and starts wreaking havoc as power structures crumble and alliances fail due to warring over it; murders, betrayals, city- and eventually continent-wide devastation follows its wake, ecosystems become horribly mutated, a gat dang false god is created in the turmoil,

and then Karn shows up and is like whoops, my b, I dropped that.

And then goes and sticks it in Memnarch and proceeds to forget about him while he goes faffing about somewhere else.

And all this is small potatoes compared to Urza's shenanigans.

Planeswalkers! No sense of right and wrong.

wait so does this mean the phyrexians have the mirari

Probably! It's not clear what level of power the Mirari actually has anymore after Karn melted down Memnarch though. It also didn't come up in the storyline of New Phyrexia.

liEt3nH.png
    I don't think anyone has had chance to put a deck together for it, yet. I was thinking about it, but I'm too tired to brew right now.

I feel like a broken record, but please share! What are you playing, what are you winning against, how many sick beats did you have?

I feel like a broken record, but please share! What are you playing, what are you winning against, how many sick beats did you have?

Spicy spicy Rakdos burn. Given the performance I am convinced this is a Real Deck, that is only going to get better with Alliances' release.

Only black cards maindeck are Sword Point Diplomacy, because it is hot, and Sovereign's Bite.

Deck's core is Sword Point Diplomacy, Risk Factor, Sovereign's Bite, Electrostatic Field, and the usual red burn package. It's mono-r without Frenzy/Flames of Kheld, cutting back on some of the Firebrands.

ew9y0DD.png
    Anyone feel like doing some direct games

Nexuscrawler#79613

Spicy spicy Rakdos burn. Given the performance I am convinced this is a Real Deck, that is only going to get better with Alliances' release.

Only black cards maindeck are Sword Point Diplomacy, because it is hot, and Sovereign's Bite.

Deck's core is Sword Point Diplomacy, Risk Factor, Sovereign's Bite, Electrostatic Field, and the usual red burn package. It's mono-r without Frenzy/Flames of Kheld, cutting back on some of the Firebrands.

How much of it is playing very fast straight to the face for you, and how much is controlling the board with burn while you refill your hand?