As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Discworld] Who Watches The Watchmen In The Watch?

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Kenneth Williams as Senior Wrangler

Sid James as Nobby

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • pezgenpezgen Registered User regular
    Charles Hawtrey for the Bursar.

• BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Mr Ray wrote: »
    I think Cleese is retired from performing now, sadly.

He was in a new sitcom earlier this year. I mean, maybe he's retired now, but he wasn't a few months ago.

edited November 2018
    Kenneth Williams as Vetinari, Sid James as Vimes, Charles Hawtry as Rincewind, Jim Dale as Carrot, Bernard Bresslaw as Chrysoprase, Babs Windsor as Angua, Kenneth Connor as Twoflower, Joan Sims as Lady Sybil, Hattie Jacques as Nanny Ogg, Peter Bulworth as Nobby, Terry Scott as Colon, Frankie Howerd as the Narrator (ooooooo hark at this ooo no stop it it's a big turtle no missus don't), Joan Hickson as Granny Weatherwax, Valerie Leon as Conina.

The more I think about it the more I'm convinced Carry On Discworld would be the greatest film ever made.

Bogart on
  • Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    If we're going back in time and getting some old school actors, then along with a lot of the Carry On cast, I'd pick up Alastair Sim (as Vetinari) and Terry-Thomas (fits the bill to many villains) on my way.

PSN Fleety2009
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    Mr Ray wrote: »
    I think Cleese is retired from performing now, sadly.

He was in a new sitcom earlier this year. I mean, maybe he's retired now, but he wasn't a few months ago.

I saw him in a stage show a few years ago. One of the subjects was that he wanted to retire, but a fairly brutal alimony payment issue meant he pretty much had to. (There was a short montage of pictures of his ex, with explanations of just how much money she was making per day just by existing. If she dies under mysterious circumstances, I wouldn't be surprised)

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
    Pro-tip for aging rich comedians: don't run off with a woman half your age when your current wife knows a good lawyer.

• SchadenfreudeSchadenfreude Mean Mister Mustard Registered User regular
    In Cleese's defense, all three of his ex-wives were born in 1944, only five years younger than him. It's his current wife that's thirty years his junior - at his age she's going nowhere.

Contemplate this on the Tree of Woe
  • MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Someone on the previous page nominated And Serkis for Nobby. And while he would be good for that role, and I know it's typecasting, I would absolutely prefer him as the Librarian.

If he does double duty, I am all for that. But I can't think of anyone else who could do that role justice. There's so much to the subtlties of playing a 300lb monkey....

..... Oh shit.

*is beaten to a pulp*

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Mark Addy for Riddcully?

Mark Addy should surely be reserved for Colon. Ridcully is bluff, posh, country aristo territory. Brian Blessed would surely be a shoo-in, or if we're still casting from Carry On territory you couldn't do any better than James Robertson Justice, who was like Brian Blessed but with more self-control.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVWjAeAa52o

James Robertson Justice led the kind of life actors used to lead sometimes.
    He spoke many languages (possibly up to 20) including Spanish, French, Greek, Danish, Russian, German, Italian, Dutch and Gaelic.

Justice returned to the UK in 1927, and became a journalist with Reuters in London, alongside Ian Fleming, the creator of James Bond. After a year he emigrated to Canada, where he worked as an insurance salesman, taught English at a boys' school, became a lumberjack and mined for gold. He came back to Britain penniless, working his passage on a Dutch freighter washing dishes in the ship's galley to pay his fare.

On his return to Britain he served as secretary of the British Ice Hockey Association in the early 1930s and managed the national team at the 1932 European Championships in Berlin to a seventh-place finish. He combined his administrative duties in 1931–32 with a season as goaltender with the London Lions.

At this point he is 25 and has had a more exciting life than practically the entire A list of today's Hollywood. Later, he fights in the Spanish Civil War, joins the Royal Navy Reserve during WWII and catches some shrapnel, loses an election and ends up marrying his second wife three days before he died, penniless.

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Would Mitchell and Webb fit in Discworld?

David Mitchell would work as an older Ponder Stibbons, or one of the other wizards

Robert Webb could possibly pull off Drumknott, and maybe Malvolio Bent

• SchadenfreudeSchadenfreude Mean Mister Mustard Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    The fan casting continues:

Ian McKellen & Patrick Stuart for Foul Ol' Ron and the Duckman! Fill out the rest of the Canting Crew with Derek Jacobi (Altogether Andrews), Kenneth Brannagh (Arnold Sideways) and Ralph Fiennes (Coffin Henry) 'cause why not?

Ray Winstone for Gaspode!

Schadenfreude on
    Contemplate this on the Tree of Woe
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    David Mitchell would work as an older Ponder Stibbons, or one of the other wizards

Robert Webb could possibly pull off Drumknott, and maybe Malvolio Bent

Webb for Duckman Mitchell for Foul Old Ron

• Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    The fan casting continues:

Ian McKellen & Patrick Stuart for Foul Ol' Ron and the Duckman! Fill out the rest of the Canting Crew with Derek Jacobi (Altogether Andrews), Kenneth Brannagh (Arnold Sideways) and Ralph Fiennes (Coffin Henry) 'cause why not?

Ray Winstone for Gaspode!

Ray Winstone is a thoroughly unpleasant person and shouldn’t come close to appearing in anything Pratchett related.

Bob Hoskins would be a better bet than that fathead.

PSN Fleety2009
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    David Craig is Wee Mad Arthur

Another later-in-life-than-ideal suggestion, but Robert Carlyle would probably make a rather good Wee Mad Arthur if we can get back the explosive maniac from his earlier career for a while.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I um

Meant Daniel Craig

Don’t know a David Craig

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    David Mitchell could be Constable Visit or John Hix! Not sure who Webb could be.

John Noble as Lord de Worde.
    And because I thought they were good together in Elementary, Jonny Lee Miller as William.

And it's not a casting thing, but I can't picture Lord Rust as anyone other than Nigel Farage.
    (Keeping all my fantasy casting together, this presents a scenario where Idris Elba punches Nigel Farage in the face. I bet you could get backers for that if you kickstarted it.)

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    David Mitchell could be Constable Visit or John Hix! Not sure who Webb could be.

Would Webb work as Reg Shoe?

• GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    While Daniel Craig would of course be amazing as either Gaspode or Wee Mad Arthur, or both, I would not be upset with a Vimes casting.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    He might even like it because he wouldn't have to get the action hero muscles, he could just be baseline physically healthy even if he was showing a bit of paunch.

• Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Vimes in my mind is that construction worker dad body. All forearm, shoulder and lower back muscle, nothing to put on show. Like you wouldn’t want a punch off him, but he’s no calendar model.

To me he's skinny but with a bit of a gut due to the booze, filling out once he marries Sybill

• furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    To me he's skinny but with a bit of a gut due to the booze, filling out once he marries Sybill

Physically I imagine him as thin, bit of a gut, can handle himself in a fight, and can run like hell. Both to and away from danger depending on where in the series his character arc is.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Been doing a reread of the series lately. Hit The Truth, and honestly speaking, I still don't like William. Like, the narrative is clearly trying to play a bit with points of view to present him as sympathetic and other characters such as the Watch as kind of obstructive jerks, but the thing is that William himself earns a half-brick-sock across the face so often that it's kind of hard for it to actually take.

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
  • V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »
    Been doing a reread of the series lately. Hit The Truth, and honestly speaking, I still don't like William. Like, the narrative is clearly trying to play a bit with points of view to present him as sympathetic and other characters such as the Watch as kind of obstructive jerks, but the thing is that William himself earns a half-brick-sock across the face so often that it's kind of hard for it to actually take.

So actually a very true representation of journalism?

• ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    Terry himself was a journalist so I'm pretty sure his depiction of William is rather deliberate.

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    I also think William starts the book as a bit of a prat but the book puts him on an upwards trajectory. At the end he's still a product of his upbringing but he realizes that now.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »

It is kind of telling that its Sacharissa and Otto Von Criek that tend be the face of the press after the Truth(apart for a single appearance in Monsterous Regiments). William is a one and done character in terms of story arc, while Sacharissa and Otto can at least work as supporting characters from the press. Honestly if not for the war story form of MR, William could have been replaced with Sacharissa, no problem.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    The Truth still has, like, the darkest ending of all the Discworld books, if you choose to read it that way.

H9f4bVe.png
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    How so?

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    The whole “let him fry” bit?

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Nah.
    The whole 'The Printing Press might be sort've alive and parasitic/vampiric' thing.

Because in Discworld certain noteable inventions take on a life of their own - see the Gonne from 'Men at Arms' and Big Iron from 'Raising Steam'.

William sort've clues into this at the ending. He sees the Press and gets a spooky feeling, like it's some big monster waiting to be fed, and it will always, always want more, never being satisfied. He reflects on how when he first encounter the dwarfs and the Press that he'd been hurt when a part of the Press had struck his head. Like a vampire, the Press had drawn his blood. It had left its mark on him.

He tries to leave the Times office before his current work is complete and takes Sacharissa with him. She resists because she has work to do but he insists. "Come on. Let's go. Now. Hurry. Before it tries to stops us."

They get out into the street, they win a small victory, a moment to themselves. And then suddenly there's a huge cart pileup, with Captain Carrot saving an old lady from being crushed, and lots of excitement and heroism, and very newsworthy things. And immediately William and Sacharissa switch into 'Reporter' mode, both forgetting what they were doing and why and rushing to get the Story for the Press. Because the Press is always hungry, and must be fed. William's story even ends with him reflecting that he'll need more material to fill a column tomorrow.

It could be read as the Press causing news in order that its 'helpers' (i.e. slaves) have to get the story so the Press can be fed. William's aborted flight could be interpreted as a final, failed effort to free himself from the Press's influence. And William reflecting that more news will be needed could be read as him resigning himself to a fate of forever feeding the Press.

Maybe he and Sacharissa are perfectly happy, and so is everyone else working for the Times. Maybe they're like the various Guildsmen and the Watchmen who have become married to their work - it's what they want to do and what they would do anyway, in absence of hypothetical eldritch forces.

But I wonder if William would have been able to escape if he had really wanted to. Would the Press have let him?

Like I said, if you choose to read it a particular way...

H9f4bVe.png
  • Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    My sister has only read the first two Discworld books so I bought her a three in one book of Mort, Reaper Man and Soul Music. I'm hoping she enjoys them, I think I made a good choice.

my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    I also think William starts the book as a bit of a prat but the book puts him on an upwards trajectory. At the end he's still a product of his upbringing but he realizes that now.

Everybody keeps calling William out for being an arrogant, privileged jackass, but for most of the book he doesn't really see it himself because he's at least trying to be better than his family. Without even cocoa and a sing-song to help him.

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Did Pratchett pass Discworld on to his daughter?

She's its custodian. She's said it's her job to keep anyone from messing with it, including her.
    Which means she'll be involved in adaptations and whatever veto rights an author would get in that situation, but she won't be writing any new Discworld books.