As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

It is 2019! Let us all huddle around the [cooking] fire and reminisce.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I'm going to get the sausage extruder for my Kitchenaid around Christmastime and try my hand at making chicken/pork sausage with mango, habanero, garlic and a bit of Chinese 5-spice because I love that shit.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I will also be alone for Thanksgiving, so I'm trying to decide on how I wish to feast.

Already decided that I'm going to make some kind of apple cobbler for a dessert.

DEFINITELY making mashed potatoes, because they are one of my fave things that I never let myself eat except during Thanksgiving (and extremely rarely when I'm feeling ill, I'll make a less-rich version because it is plain and filling). Tends to only be a once-a-year thing though.

Going to probably attempt to make stuffing for the first time.

Undecided on whether I'm going to roast a whole mini chicken, or just try to find some turkey breasts. If I can find turkey breasts, I will cook those instead.

Definitely making my herbed gravy, somehow. Would ideally use real drippings, but it depends on the above!

Likely going to make a side of roasted brussel sprouts with grapes in a balsamic glaze. Made it a few times and it's incredible.

Micro-chance that I'll make a fast cranberry sauce too. This isn't something I need, but it would be nice to have and would help me feel like I'm having "the full Thanksgiving experience", and it's the easiest and fastest thing in the world to make, so.

Laying it all out it seems like A LOT of work, but (aside from the chicken roast, if I do that) each of these items only contain a few ingredients each, including spices, so it should be extremely easy. Hardest thing will be managing the timing. I can definitely make the cranberry sauce the day before, easily...and I can probably prep all the ingredients the day before too.

I am excited for deliciousness! It will be an interesting challenge to make enough for just me, with some leftovers for a few days. I generally make this stuff for 10+ people at a time, so it will be an interesting experiment! Photo evidence will be taken of my decadent holiday spread.

Amarillo is technically still in the same state as you, even if it is basically driving from New York to Chicago. You can come have too much Thanksgiving with us!

Alternatively, you can roast some turkey breasts in a 4:1 ratio of butter to honey in a glass pan, generously seasoned with salt and pepper. That's a pretty good way to treat turkey right.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    Regarding sausages: natural casings are the only way. Tried making with synthetic once and @tynic will confirm that that shit 1) did not work and 2) resulted in an extreme amount of swearing

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Good to know!

I'm not sure why, but grilling at night in the snow is just therapeutic in a way I can't begin to understand.

j9o11lup3pkv.jpg

• Options
    God these look and smell great

Gotta figure out how I want to serve them now

mtxxuz0qltfi.jpg

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    chop them in half, fry them up in a pan with potatoes and onions.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Good call

I think I'll give a couple to my dad too

• Options
    kilnbornkilnborn Registered User regular
    A week or two ago, I stopped by the local carniceria for some honey. One of the local beekeepers keeps a stand in the store of their product. I got some mesquite honey. But I cruised back to the meat counter and noticed they were selling fresh masa. I asked the guy about it, and he took me back to where they soak the corn in lye, then run them through some sort of device to skin them or something, and then grind them up and then I got all glassy eyed and promised to come back for some fresh masa.

Today I purchased said masa, and then spent quite some time with my new wooden tortilla press trying to figure out how the hell the whole process of making tortillas worked. I mean, I've seen enough diners, drive-ins and dives to know that I make a plastic, masa, plastic layer, then press it twice, and all that, but my first few attempts resulted in corn crumble. Which was delicious, but was not a tortilla.

The entire time I'm trying to figure out tortillas, I was broiling some marinated chicken from the carniceria.

I never actually did succeed in making tortillas. What I ended up making were these thick super-sized silver-dollar pancake sized things of semi-fried masa cakes.

No worries. I decided to treat them as sope shells, kinda.

I heated up a can of refried beans, then chopped up my chicken, and when I had enough weird extra-thick sorta fried sorta-not sope shells or tortillas, I spread a little beans on a couple, topped that with some of the broiled chicken, a little spicy crema, some Nando's extra-hot peri-peri sauce, a little crumble of cotija cheese, and some pico de gallo.

Oh good lord.

I'm going to have to get me some corn husks. I'm going to have so much fun with fresh masa.

• Options
    Corn husks are oddly expensive

I've never figured out why corn husks are $5-7 a bag when in summer I can buy a dozen ears of fresh corn for $6

• Options
    useruser Registered User regular
    kilnborn wrote: »
    A week or two ago, I stopped by the local carniceria for some honey. One of the local beekeepers keeps a stand in the store of their product. I got some mesquite honey. But I cruised back to the meat counter and noticed they were selling fresh masa. I asked the guy about it, and he took me back to where they soak the corn in lye, then run them through some sort of device to skin them or something, and then grind them up and then I got all glassy eyed and promised to come back for some fresh masa.

Today I purchased said masa, and then spent quite some time with my new wooden tortilla press trying to figure out how the hell the whole process of making tortillas worked. I mean, I've seen enough diners, drive-ins and dives to know that I make a plastic, masa, plastic layer, then press it twice, and all that, but my first few attempts resulted in corn crumble. Which was delicious, but was not a tortilla.

The entire time I'm trying to figure out tortillas, I was broiling some marinated chicken from the carniceria.

I never actually did succeed in making tortillas. What I ended up making were these thick super-sized silver-dollar pancake sized things of semi-fried masa cakes.

No worries. I decided to treat them as sope shells, kinda.

I heated up a can of refried beans, then chopped up my chicken, and when I had enough weird extra-thick sorta fried sorta-not sope shells or tortillas, I spread a little beans on a couple, topped that with some of the broiled chicken, a little spicy crema, some Nando's extra-hot peri-peri sauce, a little crumble of cotija cheese, and some pico de gallo.

Oh good lord.

I'm going to have to get me some corn husks. I'm going to have so much fun with fresh masa.

Did you add some water to rehydrate the masa a bit? Most of the time that's an essential step.

• Options
    Did you add some water to rehydrate the masa a bit? Most of the time that's an essential step.

Upon further review, I bought a sope press. No wonder I ended up with something that made me think 'well, I'll just make a kinda-sope!'.

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    It's cold. There's wrestling on tonight. People are coming over. I've got plenty of onions, chorizo, Italian sausage, and a jar of chili powder from my local spice purveyor (Volcanic Peppers).

Time for a chili.

Everyone has a weird variant on chili that only they do, which is what makes chili magical. My personal weirdness is replacing the beans with mushrooms and hominy which yes sounds weird but is actually the best.

So, cooking thread, what's your personal touch on chili?

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    Half a bottle of stout and a pureed ancho chili to supplement the chili powder. I like to buy the canned ones in adobo sauce, blend 'em up, and freeze portions in little ziplocs.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I use venison, a jar of tomato sauce, a little can of chipolte peppers in adobo sauce, onions, green peppers and a dark beer and cook it forever

I have an idea that Xocoveza would be amazing in chili, but I haven't tried it yet

• Options
    edited November 2018
    I tried it last week! You're right, it's a great fit. But I get the feeling that beer is going to haunt me around July.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Does anyone here have any experience with canning/preserving? I have a lot of onions to use up so want to make some chutney, just not sure what kind of jars I need. I can find ones with special 2-part lids which seem to be intended for canning, but then others with normal lids that also seem to be used for it. So I'm not sure which to get.

• Options
    I grew up using the two-part lids, and they're very reliable. Anecdotally, they're less likely to "spring" or come unsealed during storage, since you can give the ring one last tightening after they cool without twisting the sealed lid.

The one-piece lids are a bit more convenient for repeated opening and closing. If you go this direction, make sure you buy ones with a tattle button in the middle so you can tell if they've sprung before you open them.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Sometimes if I feel like the hassle, I'll replace the beef in chili with squirrel, but it's a pain in the butt. Tasty though. It has to simmer for like 8 hours cause squirrel is tough

• Options
    JimBobtheMonkeyJimBobtheMonkey Registered User regular
    I've only ever used the 2 part lids and I've never had any issues with them. I also have some plastic 1 piece lids that I use after I've opened a jar, but that is only for short term storage.

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    It's cold. There's wrestling on tonight. People are coming over. I've got plenty of onions, chorizo, Italian sausage, and a jar of chili powder from my local spice purveyor (Volcanic Peppers).

Time for a chili.

Everyone has a weird variant on chili that only they do, which is what makes chili magical. My personal weirdness is replacing the beans with mushrooms and hominy which yes sounds weird but is actually the best.

So, cooking thread, what's your personal touch on chili?

San Marzano canned tomatoes and just, like, so much garlic

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I'm a regular Homer Simpson apparently. I'm making pot roast today for the first time, using my slow cooker for the first time. I was browning the meat as per recipe instructions prior to loading up said slow cooker, and suddenly the smoke alarm goes off. I look out into the living room and it's FULL of smoke. The kitchen? Nothing. The pan had no smoke rising out of it. The meat wasn't burned. So I'm confused.

I couldn't fit everything into the cooker. My stupid ass forgot to check the recipe for what quart size cooker it was meant for.

So y'know this is off to a good start.

• Options
    SalSal Damnedest Little Fellow Registered User regular
    I was at my grandma's this evening for her birthday, and as a light appetizer I found this vegan recipe for baked sweet potato taquitos

U4fWYl8.jpg?1

I evidently chose poorly when buying tortillas as many of them fell apart, but it was overall easy to make, and a tasty and relatively healthy snack

xet8c.gif

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    So aside from the potatoes at the very top being dry, my pilot run pot roast actually came out okay. I know how to fix it and play around with it. I'm very happy right now.

• Options
    Henroid wrote: »
    So aside from the potatoes at the very top being dry, my pilot run pot roast actually came out okay. I know how to fix it and play around with it. I'm very happy right now.

I had an inexplicably good pot roast sandwich at some dive bar in some no-where place in Nevada earlier this year. Dyer, NV, population 259, managed to serve up a surprisingly good meal. Done well, it's a great way to make delicious food out of otherwise inediblely tough beef.

• Options
    so for my next sausage experiment (which sounded a lot better when I thought it as opposed to typing it out), I'm thinking pork shoulder, black trumpet mushrooms rehydrated in white wine, salt, and .... what?

black trumpets have a great flavor but anything like garlic or sage will drown it out. anyone have any ideas?

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Where is that smiley with the eyebrows bouncing up and down

• Options
    edited November 2018
    :winky:

edit:

I wonder if something mild like leeks would work well

Xaquin on
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Tonight's sourdough

xqgytupg0adj.jpg

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    That looks amazing!

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    update: tastes amazing too!

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »

Any special ingredients or straight up sourdough?

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    :winky:

edit:

I wonder if something mild like leeks would work well

You probably need the question ingredient to be acidic, sweet, or both. I think sweet sounds better, personally. Maybe some teriyaki or tonkatsu sauce to hit a little Asian flare?

• Options
    webguy20 wrote: »
    tynic wrote: »

Any special ingredients or straight up sourdough?

Nope, just boring ol' bread with starter, strong flour, water, salt, time.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    If you have a good starter you don't need much more to get great flavor.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I made one starter with disappointing results, like two years ago

I've been meaning to try again

• Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    Got a loaf of Jim Lahey's No-Knead bread proofing in the kitchen right now. It was requested by my mother in-law for Thanksgiving and she still doesn't know how easy it is to make.

Also going to make these two bad boys tomorrow:
    https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/11/rustic-apple-cranberry-pie-recipe.html
    https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/11/extra-smooth-pumpkin-pie-recipe.html

I want to remake my sourdough starter because I love sourdough but I'm also trying to limit my carbohydrate consumption so I should probably refrain.

• Options
    AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    Gonna repost this from the bad food thread, in case anyone doesn't read it:

Don't eat or buy romaine right now, especially in the eastern states/provinces. E.coli outbreak. https://www.cdc.gov/ecoli/2018/o157h7-11-18/index.html

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    so for my next sausage experiment (which sounded a lot better when I thought it as opposed to typing it out), I'm thinking pork shoulder, black trumpet mushrooms rehydrated in white wine, salt, and .... what?

black trumpets have a great flavor but anything like garlic or sage will drown it out. anyone have any ideas?

Pepper and nutmeg

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    V1m wrote: »

Pepper and nutmeg

Five spice! Five spice is great in savory dishes and it's great in sausage!

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I have switched to a pressurized filter

It is so much more forgiving without a really good grinder and very fresh beans

Here is a cappuccino
    74dgwx7pxay1.jpg

This discussion has been closed.