As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

G&T Secret Santa! Assignments now!

• anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    This is the last thing I'm buying for myself before Christmastime... But I stand by this one.
    special edition covers of the d&d holiday gift set that comes out Friday
    nd0qv95pew53.jpeg

edit: sorry was on my phone didn't realize the vertical picture posted absurdly large so i cut that one out

I don't even play D&D (I'm in the process of learning it because it does sound awesome) but these look amazing. What are these holiday sets though? Custom covers that they do around Christmas or something?
    anoffday wrote: »
    Santa and Santee:

I just beat Ocarina of Time for the first time...

This doesn't really have anything to do with SS. I'm just excited and wanted to share.

Not to overrun the Santa thread with Zelda talk, but I love Zelda. Did you beat Majoras Mask either? What about Breath of the Wild? Did you try out Hyrule Warriors? :biggrin:

I do have MM for the 3DS, but haven't started yet. That might be soon.

I also have Hyrule Warriors and Breath of the Wild for my switch and they are both amazing and I'm sure I will continue to put hours into them until it's some crazy number.

Currently playing through link between worlds.

Yeah I've kind of been on a Zelda kick.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Mystery Amazon package in the mailbox. Not sure if from G&T or CF SS. Will post image later when I get home.

Edit: Here we go!

399if7vzd1xz.jpg

The mystery begins!

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    This is the last thing I'm buying for myself before Christmastime... But I stand by this one.
    special edition covers of the d&d holiday gift set that comes out Friday
    nd0qv95pew53.jpeg

edit: sorry was on my phone didn't realize the vertical picture posted absurdly large so i cut that one out

I don't even play D&D (I'm in the process of learning it because it does sound awesome) but these look amazing. What are these holiday sets though? Custom covers that they do around Christmas or something?

So those three books are called the core books, but they always sold them separately. they also only started doing these special covers partway through their book releases for this edition of the game, so the core books haven't gotten a special edition cover and they haven't been bundled together (it also comes with a dungeon master screen with similar art) before. There's a normal bundle with the standard art which i assume is just available now going forward, but there's also these versions that are exclusive to gaming stores (though not otherwise more expensive than the regular if you're looking for gifts!) and these are gorgeous. I haven't even really played a tabletop rpg since college, but the combination of working at a game store for the last few months and a lot of friends who do play has made me interested enough to jump on these

• lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    FYI, sometimes Amazon just slaps a sticker on a box and sends it. We're buying our son a Nerf gun and they just put a sticker on the Nerf box and sent it through the mail. I guess they really want you to spend the extra $ for a gift wrap.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    lwt1973 wrote: »
    FYI, sometimes Amazon just slaps a sticker on a box and sends it. We're buying our son a Nerf gun and they just put a sticker on the Nerf box and sent it through the mail. I guess they really want you to spend the extra $ for a gift wrap.
    I dunno, that sounds like a great way to reduce waste (why recycle a box you didn't need to use to begin with?). It would also keep shipping costs down, but I feel like they're a company that doesn't exactly worry about that the way the rest of us do. :P

• JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    Honestly, I kind of prefer getting boxes. Then again, I have cats who love to sit in them and a niece who looks at a nice, big cardboard box and thinks "car" or "rocketship" and breaks out her markers to customize it.

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Ooh, Old Man's War was a good book!

PSN: jfrofl
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Is there a way to see what books someone owns on Kindle?

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote: »

I don't think there is. I just looked up myself while in incognito mode and the only thing I could find was my wishlist. Seems like you'd have to ask through proxy or whatnot. Or just take a risk and send it as a gift so if they do have it then they could gift it further.

• KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    I got Old Man War as a gift through this very Secret Santa a couple years ago and really enjoyed it!

I always love seeing the usual suspects pop up every year in terms of gifts given.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    I really wish I could get into books. I really do. I have tried so many times but they just don't hold my attention like I want them to.

• cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I'm not going to reference the obvious book related Secret Santa quote, you know the one.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    It’s not even Thanksgiving, and my Santa is dropping ebooks into my account

YL9WnCY.png
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    I'm not going to reference the obvious book related Secret Santa quote, you know the one.

Did you just call me a book?

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • jclastjclast Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    I really wish I could get into books. I really do. I have tried so many times but they just don't hold my attention like I want them to.

Do audio books work for you? You still get the stories but in, maybe, a more palatable format.

camo_sig2.png
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    jclast wrote: »

Do audio books work for you? You still get the stories but in, maybe, a more palatable format.

That's how I consume most of my books. I only have a 5 minute commute to work, but I can listen to snippets here and there and it's gotten me through maybe a dozen or more books the past few years.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • FremFrem Registered User regular
    shadowane wrote: »
    ArcSyn wrote: »

I don't think there is. I just looked up myself while in incognito mode and the only thing I could find was my wishlist. Seems like you'd have to ask through proxy or whatnot. Or just take a risk and send it as a gift so if they do have it then they could gift it further.

If someone has linked their Amazon account with Goodreads and has a public profile, their Kindle purchases are automatically added to it? I think? Maybe?

If the worst happens and you do end up gifting the recipient a Kindle book they own, it's pretty straightforward for them to exchange it for a gift card. You can refund books you gifted others, but only if you gifted more than one, apparently? Strange.

• MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    Attn: Operation Velveeta Sunrise has concluded. Mission report imminent.

They aren't too bad. I was listening to Ready Player One in audio form for a while but still didn't finish it.

Also Santa if you could give us electricity to our house that would be amazing! Stupid ice storm. And none of our neighbors lost theirs... Just us.

• Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    I got a package from Amazon! I'm assuming it's from my Santa since I wasn't expecting anything else. I won't be able to open it until later today, though, so we'll see!

Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular

They aren't too bad. I was listening to Ready Player One in audio form for a while but still didn't finish it.

To be fair, that may not be the fault of the format on that one

edited November 2018

I know that lots of people hate the book but I was definitely enjoying it. I just kind of stopped. I used to lay down in bed early to listen to it but then I changed jobs and spent more of my free time working. I wish I could work and listen to them at the same time, but I'm a software developer. It just doesn't work lol

Edit: I definitely forgot that book is very divisive lol

urahonky on
  • theoriginalztheoriginalz PhillyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    3TX0C9Q.gif

Received an amazon package today...

Nice bag! https://photos.app.goo.gl/iLcp2chceh7bHto87

Ok.... https://photos.app.goo.gl/2qx5ErFvL7JcmboDA

Am I being punk'd, or was I really naughty this year? https://photos.app.goo.gl/WRcJx9FgtFog6G6JA

theoriginalz on
    Trade pins with me! Pinny LanyardjlB4Ded.png
  • Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular

I know that lots of people hate the book but I was definitely enjoying it. I just kind of stopped. I used to lay down in bed early to listen to it but then I changed jobs and spent more of my free time working. I wish I could work and listen to them at the same time, but I'm a software developer. It just doesn't work lol

Edit: I definitely forgot that book is very divisive lol

Reminds me, I got RPO last Christmas from cousins but haven't got around to actually read it. Let's see how it goes.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • ElinElin Registered User regular
    Guys Santa requested pictures of my dogs. I swear this is by request.

Dogs https://imgur.com/gallery/QMOeYKy

Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    3TX0C9Q.gif

Up early to go have breakfast today...and I have been assailed with a top secret Santa code!
    swcnotf6ajvd.png
    AKA- I'm super pumped to have a bunch of Blizzard balance! This means I can afford to pick up the year-long boost in Heroes of the Storm, which I was really wanting to do this year.
    THANK YOU SANTA!

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
    zajuv94tzte1.png

Woke up this morning to find this in my inbox. I played Shovel Knight on the 3DS and loved it. Always wanted to get all the DLC stuff, but you know how it goes. Since it's been so long, I could easily restart the whole game and have it feel fresh.

Thanks Secret Santa! Care to reveal yourself yet or are you going to remain mysterious for a bit longer?

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • ZeroCowZeroCow Registered User regular
    Santa is busy in the workshop. Next step is getting some elves to help with painting.
    fpa55umpuho7.jpg

PSN ID - Buckeye_Bert
    Magic Online - Bertro
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    3TX0C9Q.gif

Woohoo! Surprise parcel in the mail turned out to be a proper delight! Thanks Santa!
    you the best @Antoshka!
    JE0pjXx.jpg

• MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    Augh.... we are moving in to the new place this weekend, and I haven't had time or cat to take pictures. Should be tonight.

• anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Spyro is pure joy. Much like Kirby, you can't be in a bad mood and play that game. Kirby, Stardew Valley, and now Spyro are my go tos for those "I just want to forget I'm an adult right now" days.

Steam: offday
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Spyro is pure joy. Much like Kirby, you can't be in a bad mood and play that game. Kirby, Stardew Valley, and now Spyro are my go tos for those "I just want to forget I'm an adult right now" days.

I've been surprised at how well the games have held up. I had really fond memories of those games from when I was a kid, but coming at them now, they still play really well. The whole flow of seeing gems up on a ledge or something you can't get to and looking for a way to come back to it throughout the level feels really good.

Stabbity_Style.png
    3TX0C9Q.gif

Finally had time to open my gift!
    31007266147_eaab5d7826_c.jpg
    Wild Package Arrives!
    My cats showed little interest but Sam liked it!

45222223974_9175e9c3e7_c.jpg
    Here's the gift note

45033885035_45985b423e_c.jpg
    It's a book!

45946200541_7069ebc376_c.jpg
    This book is awesome! It's basically a photo history of every game console ever.

45946200901_e49e6a5068_c.jpg
    Here's some random pages.

45033884875_d8168658b8_c.jpg

Santa, this gift is amazing! I've already read about a quarter of it--I'm taking my time. Thanks for such a great present!

• Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    3TX0C9Q.gif

Wild Package Arrives!

Here's the gift note

It's a book!

This book is awesome! It's basically a photo history of every game console ever.

Santa, this gift is amazing! I've already read about a quarter of it--I'm taking my time. Thanks for such a great present!

They were just pimping that on the Giant Beastcast! Sounded pretty extensive.

Stabbity_Style.png
    3TX0C9Q.gif

Wild Package Arrives!

Here's the gift note

It's a book!

They were just pimping that on the Giant Beastcast! Sounded pretty extensive.

It's got a TON of stuff I've never heard of in there. Even some V-Tech consoles.

• ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Just a heads up if you have a Canadian Santee - Canada Post is definitely still doing rotating strikes and it'll probably impact any delivery times here. This is as much a "try not to go for something with a tight deadline" warning as it is an "If it takes longer than you're expecting for something to arrive, don't start to worry immediately" reassurance.

• shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    Just a note for my Santa. I just picked up a new year of PS Plus and I'm going to get God of War. If I pick up any other games, I'll post here about it. Also I just updated my amazon wishlist, but it's all kind of expensive stuff since I couldn't think of much of anything.

• Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    *Twiddles thumbs*