As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Magic The Gathering: Arena] The CCG that started it all, now F2P. New set incoming

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Kay wrote: »
    Assure/Assemble is indeed a great card.

But I'm not going to first pick it in Arena draft where the bots hate Gold cards, Selesnya is the weakest guild, and there's removal that fits in Boros right there.

Bwah? Selesnya is super strong! I'd put it higher than Golgari for sure and Dimir is a lot harder to draft since they made the AI change.

Also I'ma go do some drafts riiiiight now! twitch.tv/sniperguygaming

• cncaudatacncaudata Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »

But I'm not going to first pick it in Arena draft where the bots hate Gold cards, Selesnya is the weakest guild, and there's removal that fits in Boros right there.

Bwah? Selesnya is super strong! I'd put it higher than Golgari for sure and Dimir is a lot harder to draft since they made the AI change.

I do not discount your opinion, but the draft experts I know of (ie the channelfireball crew) think selesnia is worlds below the rest. Golgari isn't super strong so much as black is. And it is very easy to splash with green so you can get great dimir cards too.

I dont know how things change in arena after they've updated things. It seems to me that now dimir is over drafted by the bots, and boris has *appeared* open. I got a ... whatever the non-aurelia rare is 4th pick pack 2.

If you've had great selesnia drafts I'd be interested. Maybe the experts are wrong or the arena environment is different.

PSN: Broodax- battle.net: broodax#1163
  • SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    cncaudata wrote: »

I do not discount your opinion, but the draft experts I know of (ie the channelfireball crew) think selesnia is worlds below the rest. Golgari isn't super strong so much as black is. And it is very easy to splash with green so you can get great dimir cards too.

I dont know how things change in arena after they've updated things. It seems to me that now dimir is over drafted by the bots, and boris has *appeared* open. I got a ... whatever the non-aurelia rare is 4th pick pack 2.

If you've had great selesnia drafts I'd be interested. Maybe the experts are wrong or the arena environment is different.
    This got me curious, so I did a quick google but the only things I found before I got bored were one of LSV's articles (he rates Boros, Dimir, and Selesnya as top 3) and this tweet.

• DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    I don't think anyone has had chance to put a deck together for it, yet. I was thinking about it, but I'm too tired to brew right now.

Also I lost my 7/x winstreak in Constructed Event. :(

7/2, 7/1, 7/0, 7/1, 6/3 ;_;_;_;_;

I feel like a broken record, but please share! What are you playing, what are you winning against, how many sick beats did you have?

Spicy spicy Rakdos burn. Given the performance I am convinced this is a Real Deck, that is only going to get better with Alliances' release.

Only black cards maindeck are Sword Point Diplomacy, because it is hot, and Sovereign's Bite.

Deck's core is Sword Point Diplomacy, Risk Factor, Sovereign's Bite, Electrostatic Field, and the usual red burn package. It's mono-r without Frenzy/Flames of Kheld, cutting back on some of the Firebrands.

How much of it is playing very fast straight to the face for you, and how much is controlling the board with burn while you refill your hand?

Hey that sounds like my deck

My last game I played a Sword-Point Diplomacy on turn 4 with an Electrostatic Field out. Hit an Inescapable Blaze, Sovereign's Bite, and second Electrostatic Field. He paid the life to exile all three. 10 points of damage on turn 4.
    Turn 5 was a Doublecast into another Sword-Point. It was brutal.
    Then Risk Factor, Risk Factor, Lightning Strike to kill.

• cncaudatacncaudata Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Surfpossum wrote: »

This got me curious, so I did a quick google but the only things I found before I got bored were one of LSV's articles (he rates Boros, Dimir, and Selesnya as top 3) and this tweet.

I've listened to the more recent podcasts, and they are all essentially flipped on selesnia and izzet. It just didn't play out the way they thought at first, convoke is way too slow, izzet can be incredibly explosive or very controlling.

Most recent ranking from after the pro tour was:

1. Dimir
    2. Izzet
    3. Boros (but it is bad to draft unless you know it's open because white socks and izzet doesnt want the same red cards)
    4. Golgari (but it works to draft because you can get great black cards, you might end up dimir, and it's easy to splash thanks to green)
    7. Selesnya

All if this is based on PTQ players and MTGO leagues, though, and arena could totally be different. I know I certainly haven't been able to get a dimir deck I liked in arena.

cncaudata on
    PSN: Broodax- battle.net: broodax#1163
    I was gonna ask because I know they were big on selesyna originally. I guess I should start listening to their podcasts, I remember enjoying that in the past.

Had some real silly games tonight even though it wasn't crazy succesful in draft. 7-2 with the one from last night, 3-3 with a boros deck that lost to other boros decks, and now a dimir deck that is super janky but has a ritual of soot that blows up boros real good. One boros guy had 2 of the 2/2 first striker mentors, 3 healer hawks, the 1/1 that makes more tokens

And then I ritual of sooted him. I got down to 1 hp, stabilized, came back to win! Winning with 1 hp will never not feel awesome

• SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    I was gonna ask because I know they were big on selesyna originally. I guess I should start listening to their podcasts, I remember enjoying that in the past.

Had some real silly games tonight even though it wasn't crazy succesful in draft. 7-2 with the one from last night, 3-3 with a boros deck that lost to other boros decks, and now a dimir deck that is super janky but has a ritual of soot that blows up boros real good. One boros guy had 2 of the 2/2 first striker mentors, 3 healer hawks, the 1/1 that makes more tokens

And then I ritual of sooted him. I got down to 1 hp, stabilized, came back to win! Winning with 1 hp will never not feel awesome
    That last game was ridiculous and lots of fun to watch.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

I've listened to the more recent podcasts, and they are all essentially flipped on selesnia and izzet. It just didn't play out the way they thought at first, convoke is way too slow, izzet can be incredibly explosive or very controlling.

1. Dimir
    2. Izzet
    3. Boros (but it is bad to draft unless you know it's open because white socks and izzet doesnt want the same red cards)
    4. Golgari (but it works to draft because you can get great black cards, you might end up dimir, and it's easy to splash thanks to green)
    7. Selesnya

All if this is based on PTQ players and MTGO leagues, though, and arena could totally be different. I know I certainly haven't been able to get a dimir deck I liked in arena.

I think it is super, super, SUPER important to point out that draft in paper/MtGO and draft in MtGA are completely different beasts. In MtGA you're drafting against an AI whose cards disappear into the goddamn ether, and playing against people who got a completely different pool.

1. Dimir
    2. Izzet
    7. Selesnya

I certainly wouldn't be surprised if this was the case. I generally tried to draft Selesnya on my first few runs and never really felt like I managed to build a deck that had some kind of strong plan to it the way the Golgari or even terrible Izzet decks I've tried have.

Mostly I was entertained by that tweet.

• Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Decided to reinstall after the patch, hoping the reduction in stack times would make things more playable. Good news: it does. Not perfect- the timer still runs on the stack, but the time stuff is up is short enough now it's usually doable.

And ended up having the single most ridiculous game I've ever had in MTG. The opponenent had a black/white Vampire deck, and lots of early removal. Two Pridemates, two Leonin Vanguards and three leonin warleaders in the graveyard later, and I'm staring at 6 HP on my end and a single Vanguard. Against a 4/4 Vampire that hurts me when I take damage and a 2/2 Lifelink vampire.

Fortunately, there was Settle the Wreckage and I stabilized on...1 HP. Drew Ajani and managed to stall long enough to ult. We stalled there because I was drawing nothing but mana and my opponent couldn't build up fast enough to get past three cats a turn. I was expecting the game to end with mull, and I was down on cards. But then the opponent put down Dawn of Hope and started drawing cards, probably hoping to draw something that would let them punch through. I was content to stall. They got a couple of angels in play via the angel that makes more angels when you gain life.

Eventually I built up to a huge army of cats and drew Shali, Voice of Fuck you. They attacked with the angels, but I dropped the main one with Seal Away.

When I started pumping those cats multiple times a turn (who says mana flood is useless?) they dropped a vampire that drew them one card for each vampire in play. And came within one card of decking. At this point they went "good game" and knew they were screwed and just did a single angel swing for the hell of it.

Since they were tapped out and going to die on the draw anyway, I swung with everyone, waited for blocks, and then popped Make a Stand.

Before and after, last turn attack..
    jc3tossuie67.jpg
    sdn9es09bds0.jpg

Phoenix-D on
    Oh my god the deckmaster thing lets you click on the deck to see what's in it? That would be handy for when I forget what's in my own draft deck! Why did no one tell me that!

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    I've gone 23-10 with Golgari in Competitive Event (bo1) today and boy howdy are a lot of people playing mono-red.

3cl1ps3 on
    3clipse wrote: »
    I've gone 23-10 with Golgari in Competitive Event (bo1) today and boy howdy are a lot of people playing mono-red.

It's cheap and easy enough to play, it's a very common deck.

All this MTGA is making me wanna dabble in paper again. Or maybe MTGO, but probably paper since that's at least more social.

• LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular

mono-red is both good and cheap.
    it has 0-2 mythics and 12 rares, and you could get 8 of those rares drafting the current set.

it's my go-to ladder deck because i can bang out 12 games an hour with it.

• furbatfurbat Registered User regular
    edited November 2018

I see mono-red, izzet, mono-u, and mono-white. At least for the first few games of the run.

What sucks with CE is if you get a bad match up on game 1, you can get jank control decks for the next few games. But once you get to like win 4, it's all mono-red and smooth sailing for golgari.

furbat on
  • KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    I don't think anyone has had chance to put a deck together for it, yet. I was thinking about it, but I'm too tired to brew right now.

Also I lost my 7/x winstreak in Constructed Event. :(

7/2, 7/1, 7/0, 7/1, 6/3 ;_;_;_;_;

I feel like a broken record, but please share! What are you playing, what are you winning against, how many sick beats did you have?

Spicy spicy Rakdos burn. Given the performance I am convinced this is a Real Deck, that is only going to get better with Alliances' release.

Only black cards maindeck are Sword Point Diplomacy, because it is hot, and Sovereign's Bite.

Deck's core is Sword Point Diplomacy, Risk Factor, Sovereign's Bite, Electrostatic Field, and the usual red burn package. It's mono-r without Frenzy/Flames of Kheld, cutting back on some of the Firebrands.

How much of it is playing very fast straight to the face for you, and how much is controlling the board with burn while you refill your hand?

Honestly depends on the matchup, and my hand. I just woke up so I'll post something more in depth one I'm more awake. There are key cards that MUST eat a shock in some matchups, though. Mostly stuff with lifelink, and Electromancers in the Phoenix Drake deck.

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    No posts in two hours! Okay then!

Here's my current maindeck list for Competitive Event BO1:
    4 Electrostatic Field (GRN) 97
    2 Fiery Cannonade (XLN) 143
    4 Ghitu Lavarunner (DAR) 127
    4 Viashino Pyromancer (M19) 166
    2 Lava Coil (GRN) 108
    4 Sovereign's Bite (M19) 120
    4 Sword-Point Diplomacy (XLN) 126
    4 Lightning Strike (XLN) 149
    4 Risk Factor (GRN) 113
    4 Shock (M19) 156
    4 Wizard's Lightning (DAR) 152
    4 Dragonskull Summit (XLN) 252
    9 Mountain (XLN) 273
    3 Swamp (XLN) 269
    4 Cinder Barrens (M19) 248

Not sure I'm feeling the Cannonades, as I feel fairly favoured vs white weenie UNLESS they drop Benalish Marshall into Benalish Marshall into Benalish Marshall on 3, 4 and 5. That was pretty harsh (and I lost that game.) I might switch them out for a pair of Price of Fame, purely because Boros Angels feels close to unwinnable sometimes. I've only played against the deck twice, but the first time was very close, in that they got a Lyra out, swung with Aurelia and regained 6, but then my Sword-Point followup put them in an unwinnable position thanks to the Sovreign's Bite and Wizard's Lightning in there.

I was mashed once by GW Lifegain Tokens, but Cannonade should help there immensely, just got to wait for them to tap out for March of the Multitudes, then clean up after it resolves. Love that it's instant speed. But a two-of that helps win one matchup doesn't seem like a great idea.

Other things I'm toying with are Duress, Ritual of Soot (but I don't think so given how light on black mana the deck currently is) and actual unconditional removal for stuff I can't burn.

Prime Targets that Must Die: Electromancer. Shock this every time. Enigma and Crackling Drakes should probably be dealt with too - there's a lot of that deck on the ladder and they can win out of nowhere with a big cantrip turn. Wildgrowth Walkers must also be dealt with immediately, or Golgari will put their life-total out of range of your burn.

Mono-Red seems fairly simple, your Sovereign's Bites help immensely there, and your creatures are mostly well placed. Lavarunner and Pyromancer should be used to block and trade off vs their creatures, point burn at face, and they're usually not fast enough given your incidental lifegain and 0/4 blockers.

Mono-White sometimes does the work for you. I do not mind Ghitu Lavarunner becoming a 1 mana 4 damage spell, or a Pyromancer becoming a 2 mana 6 damage spell (through blocking an Adanto Vanguard and forcing the indestructible ability), and usually the pilot doesn't realise how bad paying four life is. And if they do, and don't attack, you're still winning as their play is doing nothing for them.

Play on their turn as much as possible - the exception to this with Risk Factor is when a land-drop would be good and they're low enough on life to consider giving you the cards, or if they drop an unblockable merfolk and they're tapped out in mono-U. If you have a shock (or if you're playing Fanatical Firebrand, which I was, but took out as it's just a 1 mana 1 damage spell a lot of the time) drop it on the merfolk and force them to take another turn to set up a Curious Obsession target. As a rule, play Sword-Point Diplomacy before Risk Factors, and hold off on Risk Factors until they're on 7-8 life. It's also amusing how much an opponent will panic-tank when you hit them with Sword-Point and they try to figure out what it does, or tank on a Risk Factor knowing that both options will probably end up with them very, very dead.

Fun deck, and I think it's only going to get better in Alliances. Blood Crypt will help a lot, and hopefully we get some efficient aggressive Rakdos creatures, some unique and efficient Rakdos spells, and I'm hoping for a Skullcrack effect, or an improved Blightning like spell.

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    i got to draft a gorgeous izzet deck but alas, i went a mere 5-2, as a deck that can reliably phoenix does have some pretty jank opening hands they have to mull sometimes

liEt3nH.png
  • P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    drafted an okay selesnya deck. currently 4-2 but two of those victories went the distance and had me deck my opponent (one of which involved them actively misplaying into decking themselves, as they played a midnight reaper with <10 cards and then let me accelerate their draw ahead of mine)
    stressful!

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Drafted a crap Golgari deck. Went 1-3.
    Especially insulting was mulliganing to 5 against white weenies, and then not getting the third mana I needed to play Memphetic and wipe his board. With 2 Memphetics in hand and after using mulligan scry to put the third on the bottom of the deck.
    Whilst almost needing to discard, after a 2 land initial hand.

Man, first 5 games of this run so far have been against izzet. If you lose the first match in CE you get paired against izzet all day long.

furbat wrote: »

I see mono-red, izzet, mono-u, and mono-white. At least for the first few games of the run.

What sucks with CE is if you get a bad match up on game 1, you can get jank control decks for the next few games. But once you get to like win 4, it's all mono-red and smooth sailing for golgari.

It's smooth sailing if you ever draw your Wildgrowth Walkers, which I didn't in about half the monoR games (and it's a 4of), heh. Some bad luck there for sure. When you can stick 1 or 2 the game basically ends because they can't ever kill it and you heal through everything they have.

That's basically the game plan vs. everything. Izzet is hard because they maindeck 4 coppies of lava coil. And if you don't apply enough pressure, you lose. You can beat mono-red by just making them blow all their removal on your champions.

Mono-white/boros you just have to live long enough to cast finality. Alternatively, golden demise ends the game quickly.

Hardest match ups are izzet and mono-U for me. In both of those you are at the mercy of their draws basically.

I've found Jeskai to be the hardest in bo1, because I'm not mainboarding Duress or Carnage Tyrant which are the main weapons against Jeskai while Chupacabra is useless (etc). Mono-U you are definitely at the mercy of their draws but if don't blow you out with multiple Djinns by turn 4 or a Curious Obsession you can't get rid of, they run out of steam real fast.

edited November 2018
    Fortunately, Jeskai basically does not exist in constructed events. There is pretty much nothing you can do against control in Bo1. I think I see Teferi maybe once every other day.

furbat on
  • NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Just popping in to say kudos to WotC for adding the specific things I requested re: tutorials about deck building to the Arena client. Dunno if other people complained in the official forum, if WotC people read this forum, or if it was in the cards (heh) all along, but it's greatly appreciated.

edited November 2018
    Ughh, 1-2 so far this run. So much mana screw. Last game I died on turn 6 with 2 lands. Ugghhh followed by a game where I drew nothing but land, 3 llanowar elves, and one other creature, and a find by turn 7.

Woot.

I dunno how people are avoiding the low/high roll of the game without running all 1-2 drops.

furbat on
  • RendRend Registered User regular
    I was up against a control deck, they managed to get Teferi out, but very low life, I need to just get attacks in. I play a hostage taker with no other creatures on board.

Next turn I play another hostage taker, take first hostage taker hostage. My thinking is if they clear my hostage taker, the first one comes back instantly.

Next turn I draw a hostage taker. Gotta dps as fast as possible, so I play it. As this point I realize its ability is not may, which means it takes hostage taker two hostage. This causes hostage taker one to come back, and as it enters the battlefield, it takes hostage taker three hostage. This causes hostage taker two to come back, and as it enters the battlefield, it takes hostage taker one hostage.

In related news, I discovered that mtga lets infinite loops run for awhile and then calls a draw.

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Been doing a good bit of drafting and I think it's about time to build my standard deck. I have a decent pool so I think I have options. What's the preferred site to look at general deck rankings?

What is this I don't even.
  • ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    So with direct challenge out when are we setting up a forum wide tournament?

Maybe just precons to make it fair?

• KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    I would be up for a tournament

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • BoomerAang SquadBoomerAang Squad Registered User regular
    Rend wrote: »
    I was up against a control deck, they managed to get Teferi out, but very low life, I need to just get attacks in. I play a hostage taker with no other creatures on board.

Next turn I play another hostage taker, take first hostage taker hostage. My thinking is if they clear my hostage taker, the first one comes back instantly.

Next turn I draw a hostage taker. Gotta dps as fast as possible, so I play it. As this point I realize its ability is not may, which means it takes hostage taker two hostage. This causes hostage taker one to come back, and as it enters the battlefield, it takes hostage taker three hostage. This causes hostage taker two to come back, and as it enters the battlefield, it takes hostage taker one hostage.

In related news, I discovered that mtga lets infinite loops run for awhile and then calls a draw.

look what i did
    to the game
    for value
    -LSV

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGXG5rNe_tI

ChaosHat wrote: »
    So with direct challenge out when are we setting up a forum wide tournament?

Maybe just precons to make it fair?

Just precons would probably boil down to everyone using the vampire deck. Maybe commons/uncommons or something?

Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Been doing a good bit of drafting and I think it's about time to build my standard deck. I have a decent pool so I think I have options. What's the preferred site to look at general deck rankings?
    This is just the first decent looking thing I found when I went looking.

I would also be down for a tournament, probably. I think I would generally prefer no restrictions but am not strongly opinionated about the matter.

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular

I am somewhat partial to MTG Arena Pro. Mainly because it only has decks buildable in MTGA.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
    Axen wrote: »

I am somewhat partial to MTG Arena Pro. Mainly because it only has decks buildable in MTGA.

This was probably what I was looking for. I was poking around on goldfish but that's really MtgO.

edited November 2018
    It took me 4 runs to get my 7 win today. But, I got 2 mythics again. That makes 4 for the day! I got at least one 7 win run every day this week. I dunno what my average is though. I've been doing 3-4 runs a day and I have at least 1 bad run a day. 17-11 for the day and up 300 gold. Not making a ton of gold but making a few hundred a day for playing the games I need for quests and getting a bunch of cards.

oqlcjzb3skld.gif

I actually saw a few mirror matches today. One of the things I did was took out my 2x golgari findbroker for 2x eldest reborn. In the mirror I won a few games by using the findbroker in their graveyard to set up the infinite findbroker/reborn chain. In the other match ups having the eldest reborn is just better.

Also, the RNG on free card rewards has to be bugged. That's my 2nd Naru Mecha and 3rd curicible of worlds. I keep getting 2nd-3rd copies of the same mythics, lol.

Put me down for a tournament.

furbat on
    Axen wrote: »

This was probably what I was looking for. I was poking around on goldfish but that's really MtgO.

MTG goldfish exports to MTGA too. I like the site because you can look at the deck lists of tournament finishers. The MTGA specific sites seem to have pretty suspect quality levels when it comes to deck lists. A lot of the decks are bad.

The only caveat with MTG goldfish is that tournament decks are not Bo1 decks and tournament meta is not Bo1 meta. So if you do that you are kind of on your own. But from personal experience, izzet, mono-red, and mono-u are very popular. Golgari/Mono-Green/Mono-White/Boros are slightly less so.

Stupid question cause I've seen it a few times and still don't know the answer: What's Bo1?

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Best of one.