As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[FFXIV] Job Action trailer out now. So shiny!

• turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    Blue Mage gets some amount of extra XP for killing monsters in the overworld.

They basically made a single player grinding job.

What the fuck.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Lalafell
    You could just restrict Blue Mages from duty finder until they've learned certain essential actions. Banning them outright from the easiest way to just jump into stuff is... ugh.

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    BLU will have a different experience calculation, so in field leveling is viable.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Larlar
    sounds like they really forced themselves to add blue mage without being able to figure out a way to make an enemy skill mechanic work in the real game

BahamutZERO.gif
    Roegadyn
    Masked Carnivale is basically BLU endgame, and in this, elemental weaknesses will exist.

Roegadyn
    This is basically the worst way this could have gone. It's sounds like a complete snore. You basically grind mobs for 50 levels to unlock some colosseum challenge thing.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Au Ra
    i think it sounds fun but i am also not someone who was hardcore invested into blu as a playable regular class

liEt3nH.png
    edited November 2018
    Roegadyn
    You just need to see a tech, not get hit by it.

So no, you don't have to be on the business end of a morbol.

Learning is not 100%, however.

AngelHedgie on
    Lalafell
    Aaaand there's an RNG drop system on learning skills.

Roegadyn
    Learning moves is not guaranteed. You have a small chance to learn it each time you kill an enemy who you saw use it.

So it's grinding AND random chance bullshit.

X22wmuF.jpg
    Lalafell
    Not a single part of this sounds like a good time. If this was the only way they could add BLU to the game, I'd rather they just pass it by and work on other stuff.

Au Ra
    for me a big question is that if it's kind of sequestered in its own area, what comes back to my main job

do i get a bunch of interesting BLU gear for glamour? or is it just gonna be like, i unlock a little wind-up blue mage minion

liEt3nH.png
    Lalafell
    Was gonna say that the BLU specific gear could be glamoured to other casters. But that's not how it works for other artifact gear.

So I dunno.

Roegadyn
    Ugh, if you want to learn a move from a boss or something in a dungeon you can't solo unsynched have to wrangle up people to go grind it with you until you do.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    Miqo'te
    Shiva will be easy.

PF
    "BLU ability farm. Come get stepped on."

Lalafell
    The combination of random chance of getting skills, with a boss-length fight to roll those dice, and the fact that since you're learning a move you're missing some actions, will be lots of fun, I'm sure.

Au Ra
    i mean technically they did say that the random chance of skills varied based on enemy

i would expect that to mean the hardest enemies to actually fight would have the highest likelihood of dropping moves. my expectation would be that primal fights were 100% for example

liEt3nH.png
  • TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    All this BLU talk imma be over here being SQUALLINA LIONHART

Lalafell
    The random chance of learning shouldn't be a thing to begin with. I'd much rather learn my moves like Strago, not like Soma Cruz.

Lalafell
    I mean, it's not like I'm not still excited for new stuff; I'm looking forward to the rest of the Ivalice raids and the crazy story direction of ShBr, and whatever the two new jobs will be.

But man, in the moment, everything about BLU is such a bummer. I think it's because it's one of my favorite job concepts in the franchise, and it seems like they just fumbled it. Fumbled it in what I'm sure was an earnest desire to make it feel like Spider-Man Blue Mage, but a definite fumble nonetheless.

• SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    Hyur
    There is a big portion of people from whom the mechanics of BLU is more important than just monster skill aesthetics, and they didn't see a way to do the first in a satisfying way while making it feel like an actual blu mage I guess

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
    Lalafell
    I see so many people saying that customization is the most important part of the job and it makes me wonder how many people have specifically FFXI as their one and only idea of what BLU is.

• SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    Hyur
    probably not many

the main identity of BLU is "learn a bunch of random shit from enemies with no connecting theme some of which is broken"

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
    Roegadyn
    I'm wondering - you should be able to go into squadron dungeons with BLU.

• TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Miqo'te
    Ffxi’s blue mage was so fun. We’ll see what it looks like in game.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
    Roegadyn
    I would much, MUCH rather they have compromised a bit on how BLU would work than have my favorite classic FF job get turned into something I have zero interest in.

Even the way they are making BLU work sounds bad to me. Random skill learning chance, skills are weird and unbalanced, carnival thing seems to be all about just bringing whatever the enemies are weak too.

I guess if this is what the people that absolutely won't budge on how BLU should work wanted then I'm happy for them but I doubt I'll even bother to unlock it.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Miqo'te
    probably not many

the main identity of BLU is "learn a bunch of random shit from enemies with no connecting theme some of which is broken"

Which is weird to me, since the main blue mage I am familiar with is Strago from FFVI, Enemy Magic materia from FFVII, or Ronso Rage from FFX and all of them had a much more limited and specific blue mage ability list than what is being proposed. The implementation in those games is why I always thought that the blue magic learning would just be something that shows up in the blue mage class quests and not in another spot when they got around to implementing the class in FFXIV. I wasn't expecting something more akin to Gau's Rage ability which was full of useless skills and needlessly long. If they go for the super long list of randomly learned abilities then they are going to end up being samey or there's going to end up being skills that are completely broken.

Caedwyr on
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Larlar
    how did blue mage work in 11? they added it right after I quit IIRC

BahamutZERO.gif
  • TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Miqo'te
    how did blue mage work in 11? they added it right after I quit IIRC

Every enemy type has an ability you can learn. That ability must be used by the enemy, and then you have to kill the enemy. That gives you a chance of learning. The odds increased based on your blue magic skill level vs the level of the ability you were learning. The odds weren't really that bad; like 50% or something.

You then set spells to be used. Each spell had a certain number of points required to set it, and your maximum number of points increased as you leveled. Additionally, Blue Mage had no passive abilities in XI; instead, differing combinations of spells would grant passives, so you would mix and match spells for use and spells for passives.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
    Roegadyn
    It seems like the ff14 skill list is getting inflated a lot to use that elemental weakness system they're putting in the Masked Carnival thing.

They have shown a couple moves that are just cone aoes of different elements.

X22wmuF.jpg
    edited November 2018
    Lalafell
    So, after sleeping on it, I think that Blue Mage is almost not a bad idea.

The Masked Carnivale is actually something I would like to try out, and I can hope that the random chance of learning isn't too terrible (even though that idea is a bad one to begin with). The fact that you can't DF anything can be balanced out by the fact that you can still PF (except that that then prevent your team from doing anything with less than the full set of party members).

What really sucks is the level restriction, because apparently that'll still be a thing in Shadowbringers, with BLUs only getting a max level of 80 several major patches in. Being only able to do less-than-max-level content, when combined with not being able to use the duty finder alone, is really gonna restrict what you can actually do. Because who is actually going to form/join parties for older content that they usually just see via various duty roulettes?

This could be fixed if they lifted that DF restriction and made BLUs be able to hit 80 on release of Shadowbringers. And yeah, I understand the worry of ability-less BLUs trolling people in the roulettes. But that could be fixed by locking them out unless they've learned certain essential skills. And this kind of ability check would benefit the rest of the game to lock out other sorts of ability trolls. Level 80 Lancer wants to queue for the latest Raid Finder fight? Sorry, but it seems like you haven't learned Jump. It would be good for other players, not just BLUs.

But yeah, it's a combination of these two things; you can join parties, but you're also restricted to content that nobody's forming explicit parties for.

Enlong on
  • SkwigelfSkwigelf Passed out in a cloud of farts and cigarette smoke.Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    We'll have to see what the XP gain for BLU looks like, also with New Game+ coming, you might be able to run old MSQ quests again(and they might even give the MSQ level of XP for non-max-level characters!)

Lalafell
    The EXP gain is one thing, but they're getting their level cap raised late compared to the other jobs.

• TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    as someone who leveled every combat job, not for end game use, but just for the fun of making progress and seeing the questlines, I am fucking stoked to try blue mage

Hyur
    Yeah the more I think about it, I wasn't gonna switch my main from WAR, which means all I'd ever do on BLU is level it and maybe run a few trials, so really ill get more out of this

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
    Roegadyn
    Ok in happier thoughts,

They said the last Ivalice raid will have "a big hint" for the new player race.
    They also said they didn't get to add Balthier into the game but another character from FF12 may make an appearance.

Fran as a ff14 character? That'd be pretty cool.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    I'm torn because I love rabbits and naturally wanted to roll a viera from the start, but I've grown to love my big, dumb roegadyn character, and I don't know if I could bring myself to fantasia him.

Au Ra
    every part of me has been waiting for the inner tdot conflict ever since viera were leaked

liEt3nH.png
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Au Ra
    Watched the Shadowbringer trailer. I have no idea what just happened but it was awesome. Loved the instant job changes.

This discussion has been closed.