As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Fallout] Remember when we said no NPC's or Companions in West Virginia ? Never mind.

FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?"Registered User regular
edited June 2019 in Games and Technology
Year 2 announcement trailer, from E3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2XdwS4lcZM

The official Bethesda page: https://fallout.bethesda.net. No NPC's, dialogue trees, or Companions ? Um, yeah about that...

The Wiki page: http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_76

I wish I could say that it's full of crafting and questing information, but that wouldn't be true. Is the game playable Solo ? So far, yes, with few problems for me outside of defending the captured resource stations. Apparently the end game is where grouping becomes important, but I'm far away from there.

Norgoth is kindly maintaining a spreadsheet of PA people with their in-game handles: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-cZ5jfm9K4eBWa8z5Kyw_0G5OkcSnt88X8wySvq5F1E

Mod Index, from the old thread. Note that none of these are tested for FALLOUT 76:

Glazius': https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/37827287#Comment_37827287

Axen's: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/37827409#Comment_37827409

McHoger's: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/37828266#Comment_37828266

Jealous Deva's: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/37829364#Comment_37829364

Steel Angel's: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/37830463#Comment_37830463

Bronze Koopa's: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/37831846#Comment_37831846

Strikor's: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/37834657#Comment_37834657

jqF5Ulf.jpg

Fairchild on

• FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    I move my camp constantly. It's absolutely worth the cap cost to have it near where you're questing and farming.

What's the best way to get plans? I feel like I want to start working on some gear plans, maybe metal armor or something.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
  • SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    I saw the plan for "Signs and letters" for sale, I'm guessing its like the one from Fallout 4 where you can spell full sentences etc.

Price? ... 11.000 caps.

• Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Just took out the Scorchbeast Queen with a group of about 12 people. My god that fight was insane, it felt like a proper raid/boss fight. Not only do you have to deal with the Queen who has a rediculous amount of hitpoints (hitting her with a fatman wouldn't even visibly move the needle), but supercharged versions of every other high level mob you can think of come at you as well. She also regens her health completely once you get her to the halfway point for the first time. TBH It's a miracle we were able to kill her at all, but we did. It took all of us working together in different roles to win. Some were tasked with repairing the missile launchers at the camps we set up around her, some were tasked with going around resurrecting downed teammates, others focused on clearing the mobs swarming us so the core group could focus on dealing damage to the queen. Like a proper raid! Her corpse actually despawned before I could get the hunting trophy pic, but I have some shots of the fight itself. I'll post those after I have some time to recuperate. Hit about 6 or 7 levels, 4 of which were during the fight itself. Got some good loot, and some cool pics, but I'd have to say that the best part was marching into the nuke zone with 12 other people all wearing power armor right after the blast, it was like something out of a movie.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
    edited November 2018
    Some useful things I came to grips with tonight:
    • Junk weighs less broken down, and nearly every large "area" has a crafting station in it to break stuff down. Handy.
    • You can make "bulk" versions of the basic resources at the tinker station which you can then sell to vendors. Very handy for clearing up some overflow resources from your stash. Things like steel, cloth and wood are so easy to come by I tend to have a ton taking up space.

After playing for about 10 hours today, I think this game has more going for it than it seems at first glance. It certainly has some quirks, most of which Bethesda has pledged to fix...but there is definitely something here. I was very skeptical that the "core Fallout loop" would play out in a multiplayer online environment, but so far it very much has. Even without NPC's to interact with it manages to be incredibly content rich. I'm always running in to a little side quest or an event to jump in to. The sense of exploration is incredible. I've seen maybe 15% of the map and there is so much more to see.

I think this is the kind of game people aren't going to "get" at first and it's not going to review particularly great, but I think as time passes and quirks are smoothed out and content is added, it's going to grow on people.

GnomeTank on
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    Out of curiosity: I remember uproar before the launch of this game because player to server connection wasn't encrypted, which could lead to rampant hacking and cheating. Has anyone here encountered any of that? I don't own the game, but I'd imagine there would be a lot more complaints about this if it actually were an issue.

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

Out of curiosity: I remember uproar before the launch of this game because player to server connection wasn't encrypted, which could lead to rampant hacking and cheating. Has anyone here encountered any of that? I don't own the game, but I'd imagine there would be a lot more complaints about this if it actually were an issue.

I've not encountered any hacking that I'm aware of, but that's a very small sample size.

I thought I read in the last thread that the no encryption thing was bunk, but I can't find the link now.

I’ve got 2 “Regenerating” pieces of armor that supposedly should heal me slowly when out of combat... Problem is, they dont seem to do so.

• NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Sirialis wrote: »
    I’ve got 2 “Regenerating” pieces of armor that supposedly should heal me slowly when out of combat... Problem is, they dont seem to do so.

Are you wearing power armour?

If you are all your normal armour is unequipped whilst wearing it so the regen won’t work.

I wasnt when I checked them, I got the first regenerating piece at level 22, before I could even use power armor.

Have tried watching my hp out of combat for a couple of minutes, no change.

Is it just me, or are slow firing, high damage, guns kind of the way to go right now? Everything I have that's fast firing seems to have way more TTK, despite being higher level in some cases. I find my handy named .44 (name escapes me) to still be some of the best TTK I have unless I'm in a swarm situation where spray and pray helps.

edited November 2018
    Yeah, automatic weapons do kinda crap damage and eats through ammo too fast,

Sirialis on
  • The DeliveratorThe Deliverator Slingin Pies The California BurbclavesRegistered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Is it just me, or are slow firing, high damage, guns kind of the way to go right now? Everything I have that's fast firing seems to have way more TTK, despite being higher level in some cases. I find my handy named .44 (name escapes me) to still be some of the best TTK I have unless I'm in a swarm situation where spray and pray helps.

I've noticed the same thing. I have a tuned up lvl10 hunting rifle that does serious work at range, and for up close fun times I switch to my shotgun. As much as I love my 10mm pistol it just doesn't get it done.

The faster guns are incredible vs players because player HP is very low compared to mobs. A full clip from a 10mm smg ends most people. The slower guns give people time to stim.

Norgoth wrote: »
    The faster guns are incredible vs players because player HP is very low compared to mobs. A full clip from a 10mm smg ends most people. The slower guns give people time to stim.

Good to know for PvP. I'll keep my 10mm SMG on me for that purpose. For PvE high damage, slow firing seems to be the ticket.

edited November 2018
    GnomeTank wrote: »

Good to know for PvP. I'll keep my 10mm SMG on me for that purpose. For PvE high damage, slow firing seems to be the ticket.

Maybe, it seems on your cards I think.

I’m max rifleman and expert rifleman and it means my semi-auto combat rifle is my best DPS weapon by far.

I think at a basic level your right, but maybe theirs builds based on the faster guns? Would be intresting to see.

Edit:Just had my first power armour vs power armour fight. It’s a hell of a slug fest compared to being non armoured. (Feels real right for how it should be though)Does validate my theory though. The slower firing guns give too much time between shots for the stim to regen health. Luckily an autoshotgun does work.

Norgoth on
    Now my regenerating perks work...?

Odd.

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Sirialis wrote: »
    Now my regenerating perks work...?

Odd.

Yeah, there's so much "it doesn't work right now, check again in five minutes" things around.

I have a regular carrying capacity of 170. Every now and then it jumps up to 250 and stays there until I do something that causes a recalculation, then it drops back to what it should be.

• Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    So I know that the Brick walls are at Harper's Ferry, do you'll know where the other wall plans are?

• Beyond NormalBeyond Normal Lord Phender Registered User regular
    I'm only lv18 but I acquired a SMG that sets enemies on fire from a quest around lv13 or so. I think it was called Cold Case. Anyway, it's good for clearing out groups of ghouls, scorched, and annoying animals.

But mostly I use my hunting rifle. I've got about 1,000 rounds and it's ammo type is super common.

Battle.net: Phender#1108 -- Steam: Phender -- PS4: Phender12 -- Origin: Phender01
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Looking for adhesive? Go fight Anglers.

Speaking of enemy types that drop things: Supermutants are gun powder fountains.

• Khade97Khade97 PE10, UKRegistered User regular
    Had a couple of great fights last night where by chance me and another player just happend to be in the same place. Taking on a over-powering yao guai when you are taking shelter in one building and another guy is across the street.. and you are both just taking potshots out the windows is more fun than it has any right to be.

I also got my hands on som parts of Raider Power Armour so that has opened up a few more options of where I can go. Now I just need to find the rest. Oddly, for both the Raider, T-45 and T-51 I have looted so far, all of them came with the helmet, left arm and torso. Is that just chance that they all had the same three items, or is that the same for every discoverable suit in the map?

• CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    Khade97 wrote: »
    Had a couple of great fights last night where by chance me and another player just happend to be in the same place. Taking on a over-powering yao guai when you are taking shelter in one building and another guy is across the street.. and you are both just taking potshots out the windows is more fun than it has any right to be.

I also got my hands on som parts of Raider Power Armour so that has opened up a few more options of where I can go. Now I just need to find the rest. Oddly, for both the Raider, T-45 and T-51 I have looted so far, all of them came with the helmet, left arm and torso. Is that just chance that they all had the same three items, or is that the same for every discoverable suit in the map?

Chance. I have a small pile of T51 chest/left leg/right arm, and none of the other parts.

Of course I can’y Wear any of it yet! Damn levelled armour.

• Khade97Khade97 PE10, UKRegistered User regular
    Yeah, the leveled armour isn't something I like. I can see why they did it, but it will inhibit "fashion" at the top end (which coming from Warframe and Dark Souls I know is the true end-game).

On another topic, how does the INI file work? I have Fallout76.INI, Fallout76Custom.INI and Fallout76Prefs.INI - I created the Custom one myself and added some changes but it still seems to only be reading the default ones.

I logged in just now to two Scorchbeasts just hanging out, right above me...Maybe I shouldn't have my camp so close to Charleston.

• Alex WilderAlex Wilder Registered User regular
    Just so it is in the new thread my Bethesda name is Alexw1lder. Add me if you want to group up. I should be playing off and on all day.

Time is a flat circle
    edited November 2018
    I’m looking for good places for semi permanent CAMP spaces, the golf course is a neat looking place where I’ve put down my CAMP for now and the hotel right next to it has a ton of vendors, unfortunately their caps stash seems like its shared between all of them.

I have a shit ton of stuff to sell but noone to sell it to, I have no idea where we are supposed to get hundreds of thousands caps to pay for all these plans if many vendors have linked caps stashes and only carry a paltry amount of 200 each.

Trying to come up with some creative CAMP blueprints too, the ability to lock doors with master level locks can make my camp into a fortress against other players.

Sirialis on
  • BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    The golf course has the advantage of being protected by friendly robots. Though, I also encountered an enemy there that one-shot another player...

• Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    The issue with the golf course is it's the worse kept secret now and whenever I build there, when I log in again, someone else has a camp there.

• DacDac Registered User regular
    Finally found a Power fist. It's even a puncturing one!

This White Knight perk in the agility tree that you unlock at 39 is a must have for me now. 90% reduction in armor degradation, and armor is now cheap AF to repair? YES PLEASE.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
    Quick and dirty, but should make it easier if it’s in the OP

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-cZ5jfm9K4eBWa8z5Kyw_0G5OkcSnt88X8wySvq5F1E

Will you be able to maintain that, Norgoth ? If so I'll link it in the opening post.

• DacDac Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    Looking for adhesive? Go fight Anglers.

Or just make a glue farm.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    Man I opened a pack and got a second lock pick card but now I can’t find it...

Damn really wanted lock pick 2.

Also someone explain workshop resources to me. I spent like an hour looking for places to drop my copper and silver extractors in the airport but no go

Also is workshop kinda full on PvP? Like if if someone wants to take it from me it’s straight up pew pew time?

616610-1.png
  • Alex WilderAlex Wilder Registered User regular
    Disrupter wrote: »

Also someone explain workshop resources to me. I spent like an hour looking for places to drop my copper and silver extractors in the airport but no go

Also is workshop kinda full on PvP? Like if if someone wants to take it from me it’s straight up pew pew time?

Lockpicking and Hacking perk cards work different than every other perk card. You don't combine them. You need to equip different lvls of them like lockpick, expert lockpick, and master lockpick. You can't just equip 2 regular lockpick perks. In fact I believe if you have two, one will just disappear making it impossible to equip.

Time is a flat circle
    Fairchild wrote: »
    Quick and dirty, but should make it easier if it’s in the OP

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-cZ5jfm9K4eBWa8z5Kyw_0G5OkcSnt88X8wySvq5F1E

Will you be able to maintain that, Norgoth ? If so I'll link it in the opening post.

Yeah not a problem.

• DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    Disrupter wrote: »

Lockpicking and Hacking perk cards work different than every other perk card. You don't combine them. You need to equip different lvls of them like lockpick, expert lockpick, and master lockpick. You can't just equip 2 regular lockpick perks. In fact I believe if you have two, one will just disappear making it impossible to equip.

Ahhh ok. That makes sense

616610-1.png