As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Magic The Gathering: Arena] The CCG that started it all, now F2P. New set incoming

• Options
    cncaudatacncaudata Registered User regular
    Blargh, cant wait to fill the vault and get some wildcards so I can try another deck out.

This is, hilariously, not so different than my first experiences with paper magic, when I had enough money to put together one reasonable deck and had to play it over and over.

PSN: Broodax- battle.net: broodax#1163
  • Options
    furbatfurbat Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Not to rain on your parade, but the vault gives you less wildcards than you probably earn a week from daily gold rewards. I'm with you though... It's going to take me another 2 weeks to put together the deck I want to play.

On a positive note, each deck should take a lot less to put together than the last one last. By the time the next expansion rolls out in january, I figure I'll be able to play whatever I want.

I was looking at a tournament top 8 Dimir deck and I pretty much already have all the cards for it. There is a really cool selesnia token/explore deck that looks fun too.

furbat on
  • Options
    cncaudatacncaudata Registered User regular
    furbat wrote: »
    Not to rain on your parade, but the vault gives you less wildcards than you probably earn a week from daily gold rewards. I'm with you though... It's going to take me another 2 weeks to put together the deck I want to play.

On a positive note, each deck should take a lot less to put together than the last one last. By the time the next expansion rolls out in january, I figure I'll be able to play whatever I want.

I was looking at a tournament top 8 Dimir deck and I pretty much already have all the cards for it. There is a really cool selesnia token/explore deck that looks fun too.

Yeah, the one thing I don't regret is that I specifically chose a deck that used rares on duals. I've got a good base now so that things should be easier and easier to build as time goes on (as opposed to something like RDW where it takes a bunch of rares that just will never be used in another deck unless it's mostly the same idea).

PSN: Broodax- battle.net: broodax#1163
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    I made the day 2 cut for the first time in an individual GP! Drakes!

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    I've gone 23-10 with Golgari in Competitive Event (bo1) today and boy howdy are a lot of people playing mono-red.

mono-red steals a lot of games in BO1

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    I'm MilskiMilski#15439 if anybody wants to direct. We should probably put all the names in the OP.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    i would like to argue that mono red is a fantastic control deck once it drops frenzy

it controls the board and the face

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    i'm not gonna let you argue that

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    I made the day 2 cut for the first time in an individual GP! Drakes!

Milwaukee? Nice!

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    :/
    There is absolutely nowhere in this game to play an awful deck.
    Bo1 needs to be sorted not by deck rarity but like nearest neighbour distance to a netdeck.

I just want somewhere I can experiment without getting my butt handed to me.

discrider on
  • Options
    Direct battle with friends also playing jank experiments?

The game needs a vs AI gauntlet for stuff like that, tbh.

ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    If your deck is entirely counter, clear, draw, and 4 Teferi's, I am absolutely going to make you play out the entire game until I run out of cards to draw without feeling even slightly bad.

Especially since Teferi is his own fucking protection from decking himself.

• Options
    edited November 2018
    Docshifty wrote: »
    If your deck is entirely counter, clear, draw, and 4 Teferi's, I am absolutely going to make you play out the entire game until I run out of cards to draw without feeling even slightly bad.

If you want to make them play out the game but don't want to sit there just make a script that presses space every 30 seconds. This is really the most polite thing to do obviously. You don't want to deny them the 45 minute game of solitaire they so crave.

Alternatively, people don't play forever games when their gold is on the line so stick to Bo1 constructed events.

furbat on
  • Options
    FiskebentFiskebent DenmarkRegistered User regular
    When I first started with Arena I was disappointed that there was no AI to play against. If there had been one, I would probably only have played against that. So I'm glad that there isn't an AI to play against, because playing against other people is fun.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    The opponents in constructed events are particularly weak. Just had the easiest 7 win run of my life. Sunday morning is easy pickings.

furbat on
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Most Teferi decks have some other wincon in there. I haven't seen one that is JUST Teferi. But yeah that'd be boring as all hell.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

If you want to make them play out the game but don't want to sit there just make a script that presses space every 30 seconds. This is really the most polite thing to do obviously. You don't want to deny them the 45 minute game of solitaire they so crave.

Alternatively, people don't play forever games when their gold is on the line so stick to Bo1 constructed events.

I ran into 3 separate Teferi decks during a 5-3 run last night.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I keep losing connection to the server today.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    I hate this P1P1. I guess... Collar?

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    I'd take Hired Poisoner or District Guide.

ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    just had a Dimir mirror match that made me thankful i play an aggro deck. :)

• Options
    SaurfangSaurfang Registered User regular
    Isn't that a... Dimirror match?

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Saurfang wrote: »

Izzet really the time to make terrible puns? I swear.

• Options
    edited November 2018
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Most Teferi decks have some other wincon in there. I haven't seen one that is JUST Teferi. But yeah that'd be boring as all hell.

I had a game take at least 30 mintues vs a Teferi nexus of fate deck. At around minute 5-6 they started chaining nexus of fate. But I was committed to seeing the game play out so during the game I set up a script to auto press space every 20 seconds and walked away.

They did end up having a win con at some point, but I'm not just going to give them a win if they don't.

furbat on
  • Options
    I feel like direfleet poisoner is pretty close to playable. If it also had flying, I would run 4x copies of it. It bypasses dive down and hex and procs midnight reaper.

So close. If there was a 3 mana version with flying, flash, and deathtouch...

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I hate this P1P1. I guess... Collar?

District Guide is probably the safest, though Menagerie is better than I first expected. They pushed the 1-drops enough that it's not super unlikely you'll have a dead one, and both Golgari and Dimir have a lot of utility 2s and 3s.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Saurfang wrote: »

Ban Saurfang

• Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    I snagged the District and ended up Boros either way. Woops!

Did I miss patch notes about them removing win rewards after 6? I'm not seeing anything but Gold. EDIT: er never mind. Client reset fixed.

TheBlackWind on
    PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular

Yeah, those I concede.

This dude had counter, card draw, one board clear.

And Teferi

His last three cards in his deck were the other Teferi. He would cast it, then -3 to put it back in his deck. He didnt even have any way to mill opponents, it was solely about frustrating people in to conceding.

I did paper work while occasionally hitting space. It was near the hour mark when I finally decked out.

• Options
    This looks pretty epic. Dunno about crafting the 20 rare lands but I think I have most of the rest of the deck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rnAjEnKXJA

• Options

Advertising you're writing a script to rope people you don't like seems like extremely poor form

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    milski wrote: »

Advertising you're writing a script to rope people you don't like seems like extremely poor form

I'm not roping them because I don't like them, I'm making them play the game out. Don't put me in a position where I either have to concede or sit there for an hour. If 10 minutes into the game you've done nothing but chained nexus of fate, I'll just set a script to auto space and walk away. So far I've done it once and I did it during a game where I had enough time to get frustrated, install the program, write the script, and set it to work all while tabbing back to pass priority. I get that everyone finds different things fun, but if you really want to play a deck that relies on your opponent conceding or sit there for an hour you deserve to sit there for an hour every few games.

Also, on 3 7 win runs in constructed events in a row!

My last game 7 was against merfolk. So assuming the match making algorithm is paring people up against others with the same win/loss record, you can go pretty far with just a starter deck out there. I don't really trust the match making algorithm is working though.

furbat on
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Fiskebent wrote: »
    When I first started with Arena I was disappointed that there was no AI to play against. If there had been one, I would probably only have played against that. So I'm glad that there isn't an AI to play against, because playing against other people is fun.

Well, yeah.
    Playing jank against other people playing jank would be best.

Besides draft, which needs gold from not drafting, and so can't always be played.

• Options
    In paper if your opponent ulted teferi and wiped your entire board, including lands, and they still had a teferi on the board that you couldn't possibly do anything to, I'm pretty sure a judge would call that game if it was taking forever. Since Teferi can tuck himself and prevent a mill loss that way, you're absolutely going to lose.

It's a risk of playing that sort of deck on MTGA that your opponent might sit there and make you actually go through the motions for an hour, but it seems like kind of poor form to make them do it if you have literally 0 chance of winning.

• Options
    BoomerAang SquadBoomerAang Squad Registered User regular
    I'll probably get steamrolled by aggro, but this is a fun Izzet deck!

d93rqhb81280.jpg

• Options

I'm not roping them because I don't like them, I'm making them play the game out. Don't put me in a position where I either have to concede or sit there for an hour. If 10 minutes into the game you've done nothing but chained nexus of fate, I'll just set a script to auto space and walk away. So far I've done it once and I did it during a game where I had enough time to get frustrated, install the program, write the script, and set it to work all while tabbing back to pass priority. I get that everyone finds different things fun, but if you really want to play a deck that relies on your opponent conceding or sit there for an hour you deserve to sit there for an hour every few games.

My last game 7 was against merfolk. So assuming the match making algorithm is paring people up against others with the same win/loss record, you can go pretty far with just a starter deck out there. I don't really trust the match making algorithm is working though.

Taking 30 seconds an action to pass priority is absolutely roping people. You just feel justified about it because you don't like the decks you play against.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    In paper if your opponent ulted teferi and wiped your entire board, including lands, and they still had a teferi on the board that you couldn't possibly do anything to, I'm pretty sure a judge would call that game if it was taking forever. Since Teferi can tuck himself and prevent a mill loss that way, you're absolutely going to lose.

It's a risk of playing that sort of deck on MTGA that your opponent might sit there and make you actually go through the motions for an hour, but it seems like kind of poor form to make them do it if you have literally 0 chance of winning.

A judge would not call it game, because that's not their perogative, but they'd absolutely give you a warning for slow play if it took you any longer than 5 seconds to draw go when you have no lands on the board and should absolutely be aware of whether you could play a land + a threat in a single turn based on your draw.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular

Taking 30 seconds an action to pass priority is absolutely roping people. You just feel justified about it because you don't like the decks you play against.

Yeah nah, I gotta disagree.

You either concede to those decks or play for an hour in hopes to pull out a win. Neither option is particularly Fun and more often then not those people are banking on you to concede right away.

So screw em.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Axen wrote: »

Yeah nah, I gotta disagree.

You either concede to those decks or play for an hour in hopes to pull out a win. Neither option is particularly Fun and more often then not those people are banking on you to concede right away.

So screw em.

Except if they ult teferi and remove all your lands, unless they're at 2 health and you've got shocks, it's going to be impossible for you to win. They're immune to decking because of Teferi. Also since they're blue there's a good chance they have counterspells so the shock is a longshot.

Sidenote, I have Teferi in my mill deck and I've NEVER gotten to ult him. So I wonder what list these people are running that they get to do it often enough to make people want to go get a script.

If you really wanna run that script, just reduce the time before it hits next. 30 seconds is a looong time for a priority pass.

• Options
    NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    discrider wrote: »
    :/
    There is absolutely nowhere in this game to play an awful deck.
    Bo1 needs to be sorted not by deck rarity but like nearest neighbour distance to a netdeck.

I just want somewhere I can experiment without getting my butt handed to me.

There just sadly isn't a way to do this that wouldn't just get gamed by tryhards I think. Hearthstone has a casual mode but it's mostly people trying out their new tier decks. The place where there is the most silliness in Hearthstone is at the rank floors. These are spots where your rank can't go down even when you lose. Rank 5 for instance is full of people playing whacky decks because they are tired of grinding. I'm not sure how magics ranking system is going to work but if they could implement something like that I would enjoy it.