As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Keyforge: The Age of Ascension is upon us!

• crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    I taught the game to 2 people during lunch today. Didn't get to play myself, but no biggie there; I'll get a game in next time :)
    I did manage to see an 8-Æmber swing on the last turn though, so that was fun.

From watching, it seems like knowing when to fight and when to reap with your creatures is going to be pretty important.

My best is something like 12-13 at once using Too Much to Protect and another steal effect to deny my opponent their third key. They had no way to stop me making my third on their turn after that since I had 16+ then.

Yep, that was the card. They used it to steal 4, and then stole a few others.

• PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Oh man, this deck that came in my starter seems kinda mean.

Stavos "Sword" Whitebullet

So many board clears and damage.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    This fucker:

core-201.jpg

Let me tell, you this fucker does some work. I had like a third of my opponent’s deck in my archive at game end.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Yesssss. A buddy found some decks at a shop, including a starter set for us.

What is this I don't even.
    Hello J.E. Quickpoint of the Belligerent Pike. Let's be friends.

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Wait...

How did you keep it alive?

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    Cantido wrote: »
    Wait...

How did you keep it alive?

Luckily my opponent lacked removal, and otherwise I kept clearing his board such that he never had two guys of the same house able to attack and get past the Elusive trait.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    So, I went to learn the game yesterday and got a 4 Horsemen Deck out of my 2nd booster deck. (Posilla, Fallen Den Defender) Felt pretty good. My core set booster decks were ok. I went 2-2 at the event, but could've gone at least 3-1 if I didn't hose up my last turn (Forgot to have a creature on the board to capture amber with Brobnar MVP Pile of Skulls after dropping Coward's End to clear my opponent's board)

EDIT: Also Library Access is very silly if you keep drawing into Logos and/or you have Phase Shifts in the deck

Matev on
    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Matev wrote: »
    So, I went to learn the game yesterday and got a 4 Horsemen Deck out of my 2nd booster deck. (Posilla, Fallen Den Defender) Felt pretty good. My core set booster decks were ok. I went 2-2 at the event, but could've gone at least 3-1 if I didn't hose up my last turn (Forgot to have a creature on the board to capture amber with Brobnar MVP Pile of Skulls after dropping Coward's End to clear my opponent's board)

EDIT: Also Library Access is very silly if you keep drawing into Logos and/or you have Phase Shifts in the deck

Library Access is a silly card, yes. I've seen it pull some swingy bullshit. Wild Wormhole is another notable, as it actually becomes two draws (and can hit off-house stuff into play).

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    edited November 2018
    My second deck is the oddly named Bear Letitia Soccertrap.

Logos fun.

With two Quixos and two Braineaters I can establish a strong controlling Logos board whilst simultaneously building a massive hand of the other houses for follow up.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    The Wolf that Puritanically Toasts Heroes

and Dr. K. Shadowscream

are my 2 favored names of the 4 decks we have.

Dr K looks like a pretty decent Dis deck.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    So here's an extremely dumb rules ruling from the first update to the rulebook
    I have a creature that has the card Biomatrix Backup (CoTA 208) attached. Its my opponent’s turn and they use one of their crea-tures to attack and destroy my creature. What happens?

Since it is your opponent’s turn and they are the active player, they will get to make all decisions for all cards. In this case Biomatx Backup has the word “may”, meaning that the effect is optional. Thus if your creature is destroyed with the upgrade on it during your opponent’s turn, your opponent will decide whether the card is put into your archives or not.

so this card is useless unless you destroy yourself, cool

6F32U1X.png
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Richard Garfield said in a thread on bgg that that effect was supposed to be mandatory and they missed it. Guess they are using the rules as written instead of errataing that specific card, which is understandable. It does make the card... Not good. Or less good definitely.

Ah_Pook on
    Just means you play it and make a suicide attavk with something I think.

• Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    Wat...that is quite possibly the dumbest ruling I've ever heard. The active players making all decisions makes...some sense. But it's usually active player chooses effect order, not chooses whether their opponents effects even activate or not!

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
    Such a strict adherence to players requiring zero input on their opponent’s turn is required for potential planned online play I reckon. It’s the only way it makes sense.

You’d think the sky was falling from the usual over-reactions on the net but needing to make sure the guy dies on your own turn isn’t too bad. Still a very usable card.

MhCw7nZ.gif
    Oh damn. Aurbits is doing Keyforge tokens too. I've got a set of his Netrunner PCB ones, and they're super nice.

persona4celestia.jpg
    Such a strict adherence to players requiring zero input on their opponent’s turn is required for potential planned online play I reckon. It’s the only way it makes sense.

You’d think the sky was falling from the usual over-reactions on the net but needing to make sure the guy dies on your own turn isn’t too bad. Still a very usable card.

Yeah it's not that bad, but I still find it a lil odd they're doubling down on the mistake instead of just issuing an errata

6F32U1X.png
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Oh damn. Aurbits is doing Keyforge tokens too. I've got a set of his Netrunner PCB ones, and they're super nice.

Those super shiny looking keys are definitely on my radar for if I get into this as a scene.

MhCw7nZ.gif
    There's no way to scan the QR code on Android I guess?

• RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

You can get the app on Android, I've got it. I couldn't find it by searching in the store but that was a couple days ago; I found I link to it directly.

• Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    Rius wrote: »
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

You can get the app on Android, I've got it. I couldn't find it by searching in the store but that was a couple days ago; I found I link to it directly.

I couldn't find it day of, but was able to search for it online and push the download to my phone from the web Play Store.

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    There is also a string underneath the QR code so if you dont have a scanner or are using the website you can input the code manually.

Also whomp whomp no core sets available but I got to watch other people play at an event I didnt even know about I guess. Some familiar faces will own cards so my biggest worry of not having anyone to play regularly seems ill founded. And they have two stores so theres another event at the other store next saturday! Hopefully they will have cores stocked by then :D

Bedlam on
    Ok, new favorite name in my deck pool.

Death, the Sidekick of Sourglade.

My first Logos deck has Library Access.

I cycled through my deck three times in one round.

• DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
    So played my first few games yesterday. From 8 pm untill 130 am. We had a lot of fun.
    My interpretation of the houses so far.
    Logos - the house of card advantage
    Mars - the house of OP green dudes
    Sanctum - the house of big dudes
    Brobnar - the house of bigger dudes and beat down
    Dis - the house of discard and dude destruction
    Shadows - the house of balance or balancing in your favour
    Untamed - the wild and swingy house?? We had only 1 deck with untamed.

My favourite deck is Sultan F. Solisi so far.
    A logos - mars - Shadows deck.
    Logos helps with card advantage, mars has big dudes and fun stuff like shatter storm and shadows has bait and switch.
    I archive a lot and draw a lot with logos.
    Than I draw a shit ton of cards with One of two battle fleets.
    Finally I can bait and switch or use Bruno to stall my opponent.

steam_sig.png
  • bobAkirafettbobAkirafett Registered User regular
    I went 1-2 with one of my decks today. The third game lasted a long time, and was close. Was a house mirror match. It was my Luddite Rebel deck

akirasig.jpg
    Untamed - the wild and swingy house?? We had only 1 deck with untamed.
    The ramp house. Similar to how Green (Magic) and Druid (Hearthstone) can ramp mana, house Untamed can gain Amber very quickly in a turn and also forge additional keys. They also have several graveyard recursion effects.

• MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Holy crap, they really ballsed up this random name generation lark.

No excuses with unfortunate random syllable combinations here. They clearly just used a very poorly vetted word list.
    bxrf04hf3ly11.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=762f045a2a8af33a67c63b7c10b7175a282d2a7f

But that's great! I would want to be The Pilot Who Jabbers at Heternormativity. :D

Mahnmut on
    Steam/LoL: Jericho89
    Yus! Three decks cracked and all 7 houses hit. That's pretty much ideal.

w73pjc53csg9.jpg

MhCw7nZ.gif
    After playing a good bit, I think that... hrmm. It's a fun game, but i think it's a little too long for what it is currently. It's definitely going to need some much clearer support and guidance on how to play your great deck against your friend's garbage deck. No one was using the bidding system at all last night, but games were too long to run the series of 5 with chains system either.

edited November 2018
    I've heard people talk of long games, but in my experience across quite a number of decks now, I've yet to have a deck need reshuffling due to running out. Amber may change hands a lot, but it seems to be created much faster than it is destroyed so things fairly swiftly move to some kind of conclusion.

Maybe people need to re-think their instincts and are concentrating more on fighting when a few good turns of reaping ember would win them the game? Or do more playing of instants purely for the imber generation rather than holding on to them?

Or maybe I've just happened to not come across much omber removal in the decks I've seen.

It's a crazy game to try and discuss.

Umber.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    I think both learning games (using the base decks) I've seen have taken about an hour. I'm sure a lot of it has to do with trying to control the board instead of reaping. I'm not really sure the best logic for fighting vs reaping yet, but I'm starting to think reaping might just be better overall unless you have a specific creature to remove, or bonuses for fighting.

edited November 2018
    I think part of it is learning a whole new card game. This is the first game Ive played where the goal isnt to smash your opponents face or reduce their draw pile to nothing.

And part of it is playing with a new deck, you are still learning the cards and their interactions and such. And a different house combination could change your strategy drastically. In another game you would build a deck beforehand and play it out, but this game we've mostly been opening the decks and playing them right there so we are discovering the deck as we go.

And clearly its jAmber wAmberior

Bedlam on
    I think both learning games (using the base decks) I've seen have taken about an hour. I'm sure a lot of it has to do with trying to control the board instead of reaping. I'm not really sure the best logic for fighting vs reaping yet, but I'm starting to think reaping might just be better overall unless you have a specific creature to remove, or bonuses for fighting.

Yeah, I think there's a strong instinct to fight and kill things when you don't need to. It's definitely a trap I've fallen into.

In a lot of games, beating down your opponent's stuff works because eventually they run out of gas and so now they're empty, you're not, and you can proceed with your strategy unimpeded. In Keyforge, your opponent is unlikely to ever run out of gas. In fact, the faster you burn your gas the more gas you get. So if you spend all your time getting rid of your opponent's gas you're basically running in place while they dig closer to any outs they have. And since you're probably using an established board, you're probably not going through as many cards each turn as them (because your hand quickly fills with the houses you aren't using), which means they're seeing more gas each turn than you are. This is a recipe for them making a comeback.

edited November 2018
    Okay, wow, I’m really liking this deck I got for our launch tournament. 3-1 so far.

Muskard, the Outstanding Marches Chief.

I may have generated 11 Æmber in one turn.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    edited November 2018
    Oh my. Vanity searching my surname (Bean) in the vault and...

vgcdsonyy9px.png

That’s all a bit Ramsay Bolton.

It’s not even random. Three hits for ‘sausage’ in the vault and they are all grinders.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
    I used to want a Sanctum deck to complete my colleciton.

Then I faced a Sanctum Untamed deck with double purge, two Bulwarks beside each other and two Mushroom Men on the flanks.

Now Sanctum is my sworn enemy. Fuck Sanctum.

This is true, Sanctum sucks ass to play against

but what if you were the one controlling the Sanctum...

6F32U1X.png