As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Western Animation] RIP Peter Sallis

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    In case you're wondering, The Grinch is getting mixed reviews leaning a smidge positive, so yeah, it's an Illumination film.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Yeah, every in-depth review I've read/listened to is basically "there might have been something more there, but they didn't develop it at all; still, it's entirely inoffensive and not truly bad".

• Options
    Me: I love Toy Story, but I dunno, I have no idea what hook they could add that would make me sign up for another one.
    Pixar: There's now a talking spork tortured by the concept of its very existence.
    Me: *buys ticket*

https://youtu.be/LDXYRzerjzU

• Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    The spork really raises questions about what constitutes a toy and by extension what gains sentience. That it seems to know it's 'wrong' makes it seem like they're going to lean hard into this, and I'm FULLY ON BOARD. A Pixar film exploring the philosophical conundrums posited by the basic conceit the film is portraying is something I've been dying to see, and I think they could only really do this with Toy Story. Cars has a similar issue but I think they know the audience for that IP wouldn't be as willing to accept that sort of thing.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    What if they did a movie that actually revealed and explained how the toys are alive? Like, what kind of nightmarish eldritch power floods action figures and toy cars with life-force and grants them mobility and cognition? Where does that power come from, and why?

What if that movie is this movie?

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    What if they did a movie that actually revealed and explained how the toys are alive? Like, what kind of nightmarish eldritch power floods action figures and toy cars with life-force and grants them mobility and cognition? Where does that power come from, and why?

What if that movie is this movie?

The toys outlive humanity past apocalypse and are just the ancient unevolved precursors of Cars, which have displaced an extinct humanity as the superior lifeform on the planet.

• Options
    If the angsty spork wasn't enough for you, how about a Key and Peele reunion?

https://youtu.be/nQk7DWW4mz8

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Poster for the angsty spork wondering why sporks exist:

hcbcpwn5dmsp.jpeg

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    She-ra seems ok.

I have some issues with how fucking stupid some of the characters acted early on in the first two episodes but Im sure itll be addressed

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Toy Story 4: What is my purpose!?

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    All I can say is Mr. Pricklepants better be in this one because he became my favorite character during the Toy Story of Terror special.

https://youtu.be/gOmyJViNF0E

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    She-ra seems ok.

I have some issues with how fucking stupid some of the characters acted early on in the first two episodes but Im sure itll be addressed

This first season seems to be very much a "let's get to know all of the characters" thing. The result is that it's pretty much all Episode Of The Week stuff. The animation quality is all over the place. I liked it in the first two episodes, but the third and fourth were a severe step down, and then it mostly recovered in the sixth and seventh. I'm looking forward to episode eight, and I understand that it's supposed to be one of the better episodes in the series.

I've seen the show described as trying to copy elements of Avatar: The Last Airbender, The Legend of Korra, and Steven Universe, and I think that that's fair commentary and not at all a bad thing. On the whole, I'm enjoying it.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    Reviews for Ralph Breaks the Internet are leaking out. Spoilers about, but the consensus seems to be it's damn near as great as the first one and isn't just Internet Reference: The Movie.

• Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Reviews for Ralph Breaks the Internet are leaking out. Spoilers about, but the consensus seems to be it's damn near as great as the first one and isn't just Internet Reference: The Movie.

Well that is a welcome surprise. I hadn't passed judgement but there were lingering concerns. Less so once the Disney Princesses trailer(s?) started proliferating on the internet. But still, I loved Wrech It Ralph so to have early reviews being promising is very very welcome indeed.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Wreck it Ralph 2? OH, you mean Emoji Movie 3?

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    here's pretty much my stance on Toy Movie 3 rolled into probably the best episode of China, IL ever. And there were a *lot* of good episodes.

start to about 00:50
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKhFuRctLk4&list=PLBqvbK76CIqcrKQF6abFhRZ-BlttCTNAn&index=79

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    here's pretty much my stance on Toy Movie 3 rolled into probably the best episode of China, IL ever. And there were a *lot* of good episodes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKhFuRctLk4&list=PLBqvbK76CIqcrKQF6abFhRZ-BlttCTNAn&index=79

The last Tango in paris stuff doesnt hold up super well though

• Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    I wish I had seen this in theaters to hear the audience reaction:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UY09EnD_Pak

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UY09EnD_Pak

That's only about half as bad as what they did to get rid of Aquaman the first go around.
    Make sure to always cut up plastic 6-pack holders before throwing them away kiddos!

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    I'm kinda surprised they got away with a joke that's just "Robin and Raven get a couple shot dead in front of their child".

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

8qizc2bjpobm.jpg

• Options
    edited November 2018
    Robin watching leaned forward with an open mouth smile makes it even funnier.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »

8qizc2bjpobm.jpg

I am thinking about changing my av.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    It's the pearls that get me.

Those little touches that show the writers and artists care about DC

• Options
    Pfft, Teen Titans Go is just for little kids, etc.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular

Yeah but which side though

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    So I binge-watched She-Ra.

It looks pretty nice for the most part, if a bit inconsistent.

The world and its characters don't make much sense. It's very Steven Universe in that every character and culture is kind of ridiculously unrealistic and the world doesn't feel like it genuinely reacts to its own events.

It feels like they were desperately trying to straight up rip off Avatar quite a lot and they did not do very well at it because it was also very rushed while avatar made you *feel* things.

The emotional character moments are mostly okay, except when they force some characters to suddenly change personality so they can be taught a lesson.

The villains mostly don't make any sense at all. I mean, Kyle. Seriously. Kyle?

Overall it's okay, but anything that makes it special is hampered by what makes it ridiculous or very-young-child-oriented. I liked it better than Disenchanted, at least.

• Options
    T-DangerT-Danger Registered User regular
    A new trailer for the LEGO Movie 2, starring Chris Pratt as 'Obvious Toxic Masculinity Metaphor'.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cksYkEzUa7k

• Options
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    That's some meme marketing right there...

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Rex Dangerfist is the best character in the Lego Universe and he's only shown up for 20 seconds.

I know he's supposed to be Pratt's characters but man if he was Kurt Russell that would have been perfect.

• Options
    If you need any further convincing to see Ralph Breaks the Internet, the movie includes a scene you won't expect put together by a Disney great. (Who wasn't involved in the first movie.)
    There's a song by composer Alan Menken.
    That Vanellope sings because she's a Disney Princess, and Disney Princesses need an "I want" song. It's titled...
    "There's a Place Called Slaughter Race."

• Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    I saw it last night. I found it to be VERY disappointing, but that scene and the other Disney Princess scenes were really good.

• Options
    CururuCururu Registered User regular
    For those that are interested in such things, stick around until after the credits of Wreck it Ralph 2 for a sneak peek scene from Frozen 2.
    It goes pretty much like you think it would, given the theme of internet memes.

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Just back from Ralph Breaks The Internet. I'll concur with prior opinions that it's... okay. Probably the worst crime it commits is the big "Ralph learns his lesson for this movie" scene has some seriously stilted writing on the dialog, very "Mr. Lucas, you can write these lines but you can't say them". The handling of the Disney Princesses was a high point, as was a reference that actually caught me by surprise...
    When Vannelope sends the Stormtrooper flinging off into space by making him click her popup, he lets off the Wilhem Scream.

But overall it feels like the comedy is very... "internet"? That is to say, heavy on the references, cringe comedy, cheap surprises, and so on. That is to say, not genuinely good humor. (It's called the "lowest common denominator" for a reason.)

And the referential comedy felt it stayed closer to the forefront than the first movie. One of the things that really helped Wreck-It Ralph was the fact that after the initial surge of spot-the-reference, the narrative was primarily driven by the universe's own rules and the games they made up for the movie. Here the big brands are more conspicuously in view throughout, which feels... garish and corporate. Again, totally fitting to the modern Internet! But you don't get away with "fitting" when it's also irritating and unpleasant.

Clever at times, but mostly just... okay. That's the Internet for you.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Well I found something amazing
    https://youtu.be/UYLy95Qji00

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    'Partial'? Nonsense. It's perfect as it is.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Steven Universe: Diamond is Unbreakable

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    OMG Bill has hair at the end of that short we must know what happened

This discussion has been closed.