As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Formula One & motorsport] Round 16, Russia: In Soviet Russia, V12 drives you!

• Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    If Bottas continues this "form" in to 2019, he's going to guarantee that seat goes to Ocon/Russel in 2020. He's been completely out of it since Russia. I get it, that was crushing, but part of being a top tier driver is bouncing back from crushing situations.

As far as the Ocon/Verstrappen thing...
    Ocon was clearly in the wrong, not up for debate...but the difference in mindset between Lewis and Max was on full display. Hamilton even said it very bluntly in the post race car-side interview. Max is a go getter, and sometimes it's not to his benefit. Should Ocon have made that lunge? No, but as a race winning top tier driver you need to know when you have more to lose and drive accordingly. If Max lets him go there and then catches right back up, he'll get blue flags. Yeah, he'll lose a bit of time, but he likely wins the race.

It's the difference in mindset between a five time champion and someone that it's easy to forget is only 21.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCzkaX2DL7w

• davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »
    Found this on the youtubes, thought you guys might enjoy it. From the F1 2018 game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3fXrizmbq4

Funny physics for sure but I have to believe they have the damage model cranked way down because in my races that sort of collision would be race over immediately. Game would just go into retirement slow motion killed by drunk driver music. “That was a big one, tell me you’re alright”

• VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Veevee wrote: »
    Found this on the youtubes, thought you guys might enjoy it. From the F1 2018 game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3fXrizmbq4

Funny physics for sure but I have to believe they have the damage model cranked way down because in my races that sort of collision would be race over immediately. Game would just go into retirement slow motion killed by drunk driver music. “That was a big one, tell me you’re alright”

They absolutely had the game set to cosmetic damage or whatever the game calls it, but I've watched that video a couple dozen times at this point and I'm still amazed by it.

Edit: Also, I believe this was an online race and he was being purposefully wrecked by a troll. This wasn't rewound dozens of times to get it just right.

Veevee on
  • tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Ocon/Verstappen
    The whole "cars about to be lapped should just get out of the way immediately" thing is dumb, and Max pretended like Ocon wasn't even there. When you watch the Ocon onboard, they are side-by-side, and Max just slams the door. For people complaining about Ocon spoiling the leader's race, how about the leader being more careful when another car flies up behind you on the straight and tries a pass?

EDIT: Also my favorite LOL stat is that Hamilton has won HALF (50/99) of the grands prix since 2014. Yeesh.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Ocon/Verstappen
    I feel like this happens a lot in F1, Ocon never completes the pass, he’s not entitled to track position that he can’t establish. Verstappen is not and shouldn’t be required to give way to a lapped car. And anyway, Ocon would have been given blue flags in the next sector as the Red Bull car would be bearing down on him through that sector. What a waste.

• altidaltid Registered User regular
    tsmvengy wrote: »
    Ocon/Verstappen
    The whole "cars about to be lapped should just get out of the way immediately" thing is dumb, and Max pretended like Ocon wasn't even there. When you watch the Ocon onboard, they are side-by-side, and Max just slams the door. For people complaining about Ocon spoiling the leader's race, how about the leader being more careful when another car flies up behind you on the straight and tries a pass?

EDIT: Also my favorite LOL stat is that Hamilton has won HALF (50/99) of the grands prix since 2014. Yeesh.

You might have this the wrong way around. Verstappen wasn't lapping Ocon, Ocon was attempting to un-lap himself by passing Verstappen.

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Mc zany wrote: »
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    If Bottas continues this "form" in to 2019, he's going to guarantee that seat goes to Ocon/Russel in 2020. He's been completely out of it since Russia. I get it, that was crushing, but part of being a top tier driver is bouncing back from crushing situations.

As far as the Ocon/Verstrappen thing...
    Ocon was clearly in the wrong, not up for debate...but the difference in mindset between Lewis and Max was on full display. Hamilton even said it very bluntly in the post race car-side interview. Max is a go getter, and sometimes it's not to his benefit. Should Ocon have made that lunge? No, but as a race winning top tier driver you need to know when you have more to lose and drive accordingly. If Max lets him go there and then catches right back up, he'll get blue flags. Yeah, he'll lose a bit of time, but he likely wins the race.

It's the difference in mindset between a five time champion and someone that it's easy to forget is only 21.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCzkaX2DL7w

It's almost like racing for the lead and trying to race a back marker to prove a point are different things.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Formula 3 had a really rough crash in Macao this weekend.

17 year old Flörsch hit another driver at well over 200km/h and was catapulted over the track side through a fence into a construction. She's in the hospital right now but seems to be more or less fine.

Quite a wonder after seeing the crash.

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    It looks like:

- Sophia Flörsch has a fractured spine. She says she's fine (!), but will be having surgery tomorrow.
    - Sho Tsuboi has lumbar pain and is under observation.
    - Marshall Chan Cha has unspecified injuries to face, jaw and chest.
    - Photographer Chan Weng Wang has a lacerated spleen.
    - Photographer Minami Hiroyuki suffered concussion.

(source: this video on Youtube that shows the crash at multiple angles and has text commentary overlaid. No injury detail, SFW, just multiple angles of an incredibly violent racing car crash.)

That is one of the most staggering, jaw-dropping, horrendous crashes I've ever seen, certainly that everyone survived. Here's hoping for a full recovery for all involved.

Motorsport be dangerous, yo.

Jazz on
    Woa.

Yeah.

edited November 2018
    Wow. Incredibly lucky no one was instantly killed.

I've seen some crashes that were probably more violent, but they were violent in expected ways, like a NASCAR Cup car rolling over multiple times at Talladega or Daytona. I don't think I could ever expect to see a car launched through a catch fence at 200+km/h

I think the only crash videos I've seen that I would rank as worse than this incident is the 1955 Le Mans Disaster when a magnesium body car crashed sending flaming pieces of magnesium and other car parts into the spectators killing a total of 83 (most physically violent crash, caused Merc-Benz to stop competing in all racing competitions until 1989), and the F1 crash that killed Tom Pryce and a saftey worker that was on track at the time (most gruesome) DO NOT LOOK UP THE TOM PRYCE VIDEO spoilered for possibly triggering
    YOU WILL SEE A MAN LITERALLY RIPPED IN HALF

I instantly dropped whatever friendship I had with the person that tricked me into watching the Tom Pryce video. I don't necessarily regret having seen it, but I sincerely wish I never have.

Veevee on
  • SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Just finished the doc on Billy Monger, shown on BBC2 tonight and it was everything I hoped it would be, absolutely inspirational.

If you can, track it down on iplayer because it's a wonderful piece of tv

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
    In "holy shit it's actually happening" news, Robert Kubica will be returning to a race seat in F1 with Williams next year.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/kubica-williams-race-deal-2019/4301134/

Please, racing gods, let Williams actually have a good car again...

edited November 2018
    Sophia Flörsch had an 11-hour operation to repair her spine after her horrendous F3 crash, but she says she's doing alright, isn't paralysed, and has to stay in Macao for a few more days until she's able to be transported. And naturally she's determined to get behind the wheel again.

Link includes video footage of the crash viewed from the grandstand, SFW with no injury detail:
    https://www.standard.co.uk/news/world/racing-driver-sophia-floersch-tells-fans-she-survived-well-her-11hour-operation-to-fix-shattered-a3995121.html

All the best to her, glad to hear she's doing as well as could be hoped.

Jazz on
  • SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    That's fantastic news for Flörsch and fantastic news for Kubica as well!

Honestly the casualty that I'm most worried about from that Macao crash is the marshal that got hit in the face, even from the off I was of the mind that "spine fracture" sounds scary, but cyclists have that happen a lot in crashes (like Annemiek van Vleuten at the olympics in Rio) and mostly recover well, but hits to an unprotected face are always bad and much more iffy in the outcomes.

7qmGNt5.png
  • altidaltid Registered User regular
    That was bloody scary.
    A car going upside down is always incredibly worrying. Worse still was that getting out was slow and there was fire. A good thing it went out easily. Could hear Hulkenberg was nervous on the radio.

Very very glad Hulkenberg got out and appeared mostly ok in the end.

altid wrote: »
    That was bloody scary.
    A car going upside down is always incredibly worrying. Worse still was that getting out was slow and there was fire. A good thing it went out easily. Could hear Hulkenberg was nervous on the radio.

Very very glad Hulkenberg got out and appeared mostly ok in the end.
    He's a lucky boy.

I'm sure it'll be very heavily analysed; there seems to be separate cases for the halo being helpful, and being a hindrance.

• CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Albon to replace Hartley at Torro Rosso next year https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/albon-confirmed-toro-rosso-2019/4304672/

Shame to see Hartley leave but it was good to see him get a second chance. Hopefully we'll see him back in sports cars, WEC, or Formula E sometime soon.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
    Brexit could hit British-based F1 teams and European races, say McLaren
    Jonathan Neale, the chief operating officer at McLaren, has warned the result of a no-deal Brexit may put the ability of teams to stage Formula One meetings at risk. Seven of the 10 teams are based in the UK and there will be nine races in Europe next year. According to Neale, McLaren are already working with partners within the sport in an attempt to ensure they are ready to deal with potential difficulties.

If parliament rejects the prime minister’s deal in December there is a possibility of the UK leaving Europe with no deal on 29 March next year, although other scenarios are still possible. By then, the F1 season will have started and the first European race is in Spain on 12 May. Mercedes, McLaren, Williams, Force India, Renault and Red Bull are all in the UK, while Haas have their headquarters in the USA but a base in Banbury.

edited December 2018
    Apparently McLaren did a thing at Bahrain where they had Jimmie Johnson (from NASCAR) and Alonso swap cars. They used a 2012 V8 F1 McLaren, which I think is the last year of what I will always call the quintessential F1 engine sound. They put out a little trailer a couple days ago, with a note

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fb0pTpqGkpU
    You can see a special programme on SKY Sports F1 in the week of 17 December. Keep an eye on @SkySportsF1 and @McLarenF1 for schedule details.

Edit: Also on the F1 channel, an explainer for the aero changes next year. Hopefully the changes work as intended

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCJTf6E4BbY

Oh, and a cool 360 video of Hulkenberg's rollover

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjhuPdqHE9Y

Veevee on
    Formula E is committing 100% to being WipeOut now, adding boost pads

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRZHDFm124s

(Ok sure it's kind of like DRS, but BOOST PADS)

7qmGNt5.png
  • Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    WHAT

• KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    Formula E is so fucking cool

• Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    We're a step closer to F-Zero being a real thing. :)

• ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    The new Formula E cars pretty much look like they'd fit right in on an F-Zero or Wipeout track, I love the redesign.

I'm going to miss the mid-race car swap a little. I mean, great that the new cars can go the distance, but seeing the drivers have to switch cars was an event unto itself at times.

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    so if anyone is a former iRacer or thinking about it.. they just put out an update that I think might finally be The One

they added live weather and day/night cycling. no rain, but sun movement over time + clouds are fully simulated w/ track temperature impact

one of my only complaints about iRacing is that the physics tended to be so static that uhh... you can get to unrealistic levels of hotlappery by just grinding a track for 50 hours, because there's no break wear, no chassis fatigue, and while the tire model is very good, the racing surface itself was fairly static, so you could get very predictable performance even with temperature variances

i just did 2 hours of lapping during a sunrise and the impact was noticeable as the sun rose, and was incredible. i actually had to *gasp* adjust my braking. This + dynamic surface rubber has really made it fun to play, and I think rewards a more well rounded driver

• tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    I watched the Formula E race from the other day (it's on Youtube) it was... actually pretty fun? The new cars are way more racey than the old ones it seems.

steam_sig.png
  • ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    The Attack Mode activation zone is just as video game-y as I thought it would be, I love it.

Better yet everyone missing the zone because that is totally something I do all the time *grumble grumble*.

• TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    I found it pretty hard to follow the race due to conflicting liveries, not having the liveries displayed on the position tracker, the position tracker itself (were the blue chevrons explained?) and that the commentary kept talking over the team radio.
    They also didn't really explain very well why drive through penalties were being issued . Near the end of the race the drivers in #1 and #3 were given drive through penalties, a massive deal, yet it was glossed over when the commentary didnt even know why race control had done it.

Unrelated but was disappointed to see Vandoorne have such a poor first showing. He qualified well - was there an issue with the car?

The racing itself was enjoyable with plenty of dives and bullying (early on Montoya parked himself on the inside line going three wide into a corner and wedged himself through, it was great haha! Beep beep outta my way, I'm a motorist).

These kinks can be ironed out so hopefully they're onto it

steam_sig.png
  • MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'm also a little bit disappointed with the commentary and camera stuff, it was worse than my brain remembers it being in previous seasons. Definitely hoping that they'll get things sorted out based on feedback; it sounds like there's a lot of new first-time viewers this time around.
    TeeMan wrote: »
    I found it pretty hard to follow the race due to conflicting liveries, not having the liveries displayed on the position tracker, the position tracker itself (were the blue chevrons explained?) and that the commentary kept talking over the team radio.

The chevrons were mentioned a couple times during the race, as well as with a small overlay in the upper-left corner of the screen. In case the explanation was needed, the chevrons indicate that a driver is in Attack Mode, which lasts for four minutes. Each chevron is one minute, so at the start of Attack Mode, you'll see a small arrow tip plus three full chevrons. At less than one minute remaining, it's just the small arrow tip.

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    MrBlarney wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm also a little bit disappointed with the commentary and camera stuff, it was worse than my brain remembers it being in previous seasons. Definitely hoping that they'll get things sorted out based on feedback; it sounds like there's a lot of new first-time viewers this time around.

The chevrons were mentioned a couple times during the race, as well as with a small overlay in the upper-left corner of the screen. In case the explanation was needed, the chevrons indicate that a driver is in Attack Mode, which lasts for four minutes. Each chevron is one minute, so at the start of Attack Mode, you'll see a small arrow tip plus three full chevrons. At less than one minute remaining, it's just the small arrow tip.

Ohhhh I didn't realise Attack Mode lasted that long, I thought it'd be for a minute tops to account for single straight. That's three laps of boost power

steam_sig.png
  • MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    MrBlarney wrote: »

Ohhhh I didn't realise Attack Mode lasted that long, I thought it'd be for a minute tops to account for single straight. That's three laps of boost power

It kind of has to last that long in order for it to be worth it, since you lose a few seconds to go off line into the activation zone. From what I remember from what little qualifying there was for this race, I'd say that there was a three or four second difference between standard power (200 kW) and full power (250 kW). Since Attack Mode gives half of that bonus (+25 kW; Fanboost gives the other +25 kW for its short burst) you'd need two or three laps to make up for the loss in time from activation. Even though everyone has to take the mandatory number of Attack Mode activations, you'd need to make it a tactical bonus to sell its appeal, rather than a consideration of minimizing loss.

4463rwiq7r47.png
    There isn't much to do in the offseason, so the FIA went and made a funny video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ea4XVLqXhM

• DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    so if anyone is a former iRacer or thinking about it.. they just put out an update that I think might finally be The One

they added live weather and day/night cycling. no rain, but sun movement over time + clouds are fully simulated w/ track temperature impact

one of my only complaints about iRacing is that the physics tended to be so static that uhh... you can get to unrealistic levels of hotlappery by just grinding a track for 50 hours, because there's no break wear, no chassis fatigue, and while the tire model is very good, the racing surface itself was fairly static, so you could get very predictable performance even with temperature variances

i just did 2 hours of lapping during a sunrise and the impact was noticeable as the sun rose, and was incredible. i actually had to *gasp* adjust my braking. This + dynamic surface rubber has really made it fun to play, and I think rewards a more well rounded driver

I wish Assetto Corsa Competizione was a bit more popular online, because I'm really enjoying the whole experience, but racing against AI is a bit unexciting. I'm thinking about going back to iRacing, and maybe I will in a couple of months, just to be able to buy some tracks for a nice season on the 911 RSR.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
    Arivabenne out at Ferrari

probably not deserved... I guess they expected to win this year, but I don't really see it as his fault. If Vettel was on form it would have been a nearly even battle.

Drovek wrote: »

I wish Assetto Corsa Competizione was a bit more popular online, because I'm really enjoying the whole experience, but racing against AI is a bit unexciting. I'm thinking about going back to iRacing, and maybe I will in a couple of months, just to be able to buy some tracks for a nice season on the 911 RSR.

It's pretty good for just lapping. TBH I can't comment on the status of online competition on iRacing... I don't race. I only do practice sessions, but I still enjoy it on the occasions I do hop in.

• Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    Arivabenne out at Ferrari

probably not deserved... I guess they expected to win this year, but I don't really see it as his fault. If Vettel was on form it would have been a nearly even battle.

I disagree, while Vettel was on top in the early part of the season Mercedes had the advantage for the last two thirds. Even if Vettel had been flawless he would not have been able to keep up.

This discussion has been closed.