As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Fallout] Remember when we said no NPC's or Companions in West Virginia ? Never mind.

• FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Norgoth wrote: »
    Fairchild wrote: »
    Quick and dirty, but should make it easier if it’s in the OP

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-cZ5jfm9K4eBWa8z5Kyw_0G5OkcSnt88X8wySvq5F1E

Will you be able to maintain that, Norgoth ? If so I'll link it in the opening post.

Yeah not a problem.

Great, done.

• BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    I have so much adhesive, I've just stopped picking it up. Screws are the big thing holding me back.

• CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    Is there a good reason NOT to craft all your junk items into bulk?

• vamenvamen Registered User regular
    So I'm having a good time with the game, but it runs like hot ass on PC. And I run pretty much every other game at max without issue. I've lowered a lot of settings but it's still pretty bad. Anyone seen any ini tweaks or anything that have been helpful?
    Hopefully, the performance patch in a few days will do the trick if not.

• DacDac Registered User regular
    Jesus christ that DMV quest almost made me uninstall the game, rofl.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    vamen wrote: »
    So I'm having a good time with the game, but it runs like hot ass on PC. And I run pretty much every other game at max without issue. I've lowered a lot of settings but it's still pretty bad. Anyone seen any ini tweaks or anything that have been helpful?
    Hopefully, the performance patch in a few days will do the trick if not.

It runs like stale shit in windowed/borderless mode for me, but flawless in fullscreen.

edited November 2018
    There's a bunch of performance tweak discussion here.

EDIT: I can say that personally I made a Fallout76Custom.ini file in both the game install folder (%PROGRAMFILES(X86)%\Bethesda.net Launcher\games\Fallout76 by default) and %UserProfile%\documents\My games\Fallout 76. Its not clear which location is the vital one. In the ini file I pasted the following:
    [Display]
    bFull Screen=1
    bFullScreen=1
    bBorderless=0
    fDOFBlendRatio=0
    fDOFMinFocalCoefDist=999999
    fDOFMaxFocalCoefDist=99999999
    fDOFDynamicFarRange=99999999
    fDOFCenterWeightInt=0
    fDOFFarDistance=99999999

[ImageSpace]
    bDoDepthOfField=0
    bDoRadialBlur=0
    iRadialBlurLevel=0
    bDynamicDepthOfField=0
    bMBEnable=0
    bScreenSpaceBokeh=0
    bLensFlare=0

My depth of field and motion blur is now gone, and while the game ran basically fine before, it seems to be a bit smoother now.

Cog on
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Cog wrote: »
    Is there a good reason NOT to craft all your junk items into bulk?

It wastes plastic and doesn't lessen the weight that much. You really only bulk things to sell them to vendors when you are overflowing.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    Plastic is plentiful and every little bit of stash space is worth it.

edited November 2018
    e: I stand corrected, the bulk steel is 0.15 units lighter than the total weight of the steel and plastic used. So for 300 steel you're saving about 1.5 total units. I guess that's worth it? I'd rather bulk it and go sell it than just use bulking to save a tiny bit of space. That way I'm turning clearly excess resources in to caps.

GnomeTank on
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    My problem is that vendors never have any caps on hand.

What kind of genius put out a ton of shit that costs 1100+ and even some plans that costs 11000+ and yet I can barely get caps anywhere because of the vendor bottleneck... It also seems to take days before they restock.

Sirialis on
    Sirialis wrote: »
    My problem is that vendors never have any fucking caps.

What kind of genius put out a ton of shit that costs 1100+ and even some plans that costs 11000+ and yet I can barely get caps anywhere.

Level 9 right now, I have not spent a single cap on anything and I think I have like... 190?

I don't vendor much, mainly because the 90% loss on the base value feels bad. I have some vendor perk cards, but essentially everything at this point has been invested in enabling me to carry more loot.

• Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Is there something I selected that's letting this guy 10 levels above me kill me over and over?

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    I'm getting to the point where I'm actually min/maxing my perk cards a bit. I have the 90% RadAway card, but I don't walk around with it equipped, I just toss it on when I need to us RadAway. I figure this will become a really common game system at later levels, where you'll min/max your park cards for what you're doing at the time.

Is there something I selected that's letting this guy 10 levels above me kill me over and over?

He should become wanted unless you are already wanted when he killed you. The first shot should do almost no damage and you can just disengage and not fire back. If he's wanted it shouldn't be long before someone comes along to take his attention, since you show up as a big red symbol on the map when wanted.

• Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »

He should become wanted unless you are already wanted when he killed you. The first shot should do almost no damage and you can just disengage and not fire back. If he's wanted it shouldn't be long before someone comes along to take his attention, since you show up as a big red symbol on the map when wanted.

...cool

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Honestly, at 10 levels you could probably take him. Leveling doesn't scale much in this game the way it would in a typical MMO. Way more about whether you're staying on top of gear/gun upgrades as you hit the level milestones (basically every 5 levels for weapons and 10 for armor).

Edit: For example, at level 31 I took down a 49 player who was trying to steal my workshop. Both in Power armor, but mine was obviously in better condition and I had must have had much better guns because he wasn't even denting mine, while I was cracking his pretty well.

Mvrck on
  • Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    ~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • The DeliveratorThe Deliverator Slingin Pies The California BurbclavesRegistered User regular
    Boy it feels good to get your 3rd workshop up and running only to have the game crash, thus negating 30 minutes of work.

• MetallikatMetallikat Registered User regular
    I've made the decision to wait the year or two for personal servers and mods. The weight and stash limits are getting to me something fierce.

• DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    Workshops seem like they might form the basis for a low risk non griefing resource based PvP in this game

I like it

So far nobody seems to grab the ones I’m grabbing anyway but I can see it being a good way to force conflict between players while letting most players avoid it

616610-1.png
    FYI - If you plan on building any Power Armor, stock up on Gears, Screws and Springs. Never pass by a clipboard again!

• vamenvamen Registered User regular
    A little late on my reply but thanks all for the links and suggestions for my performance issues.

GnomeTank wrote: »

...cool

There's an option to turn on pacifist mode, so you can't accidentally initiate PvP.

Mvrck wrote: »
    FYI - If you plan on building any Power Armor, stock up on Gears, Screws and Springs. Never pass by a clipboard again!

I pick up literally everything. If it's not nailed down, it's being taken back to base to break down. I'll probably use the "tag for search" stuff later when looking for specific stuff, but right now, it's all junk to scrap all the time.

• DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    Can you tag something other than through crafting and missing a resource?

616610-1.png
  • The DeliveratorThe Deliverator Slingin Pies The California BurbclavesRegistered User regular
    Disrupter wrote: »
    Can you tag something other than through crafting and missing a resource?

If you have any of what you're looking for you can tag it from the junk screen on your pip boy.

• Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Honestly, at 10 levels you could probably take him. Leveling doesn't scale much in this game the way it would in a typical MMO. Way more about whether you're staying on top of gear/gun upgrades as you hit the level milestones (basically every 5 levels for weapons and 10 for armor).

Edit: For example, at level 31 I took down a 49 player who was trying to steal my workshop. Both in Power armor, but mine was obviously in better condition and I had must have had much better guns because he wasn't even denting mine, while I was cracking his pretty well.

31 to 49 maybe, but I fought a level 30 guy at level 67 and I just laughed as rounds plinked off me before i finished him with one hit.

PS you can opt out of PVP by turning on pacifist in the gameplay options menu. You will not be able to attack other players, accidently or otherwise, and other players can only hit you once with reduced damage to initiate the "do you want to fight?" thing.

Yes springs are very important. The Sugar Hill bunker has a ton of clipboards, including a shelf in the control room that has about 10 sitting there. You also want to stock up on black titanium. Mole miners drop suit scrap which can be broken down into it. You can find them on and around the excavator reliably.

In other news, it turns out the pics from the Scorchbeast Queen fight didn't come out right
    Apparently I have a bug where taking pics in power armor results in a black screen. This was the only pic I managed to salvage since it was taken with photomode:

Da64Rhr.jpg

The loot:
    Ultracite power armor right leg plans
    Ultracite PA explosive vent mod (adds more damage when falling on an enemy from above)
    Ultracite Fusion Cell plan
    Combat armor torso that adds 1 per and 15 dr if you're standing still
    Combat armor right arm that adds 1 to int and adds a chance for you to be automatically revived when you fall
    Radiation removal shower plans
    A LVL 50 tesla rifle that does 177 damage, double to the first hit if target has full health
    Memories

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
    T-t-triple post (in one post?)

• GhlinnGhlinn Registered User regular
    That Tesla Rifle looks great, Been really liking the mostly basic one I've been running around with. It's amusing to go to the forest and just chain lighting everything down.

steam_sig.png
    If anyone needs some Fusion Cores hit me up? Though I can't imagine anyone would since they seem to drop like candy.

• FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Telephones, Typewriters, and Desk Fans are also great sources of screws and gears. Telephones add the very rare Fiber-optics, too.

Well shave my back hair and call me an Elf, I thought they had turned off Fast Travel for 76. Imagine my surprise to learn that you can travel to your CAMP for free. Dangit that would have saved me A LOT of time around the Grafton Water Park, which is a real slog.

Yeah you can travel to vault 76, your Camp, your party members camps and party/friends for free. Everything else costs caps depending on how far away it is.

steam_sig.png
    Holy shit you can travel to 76 for free?! Things I did not try...

• NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Also because fast travel costs are based on distance you can often fast travel to a nearby free point and then fast travel again to where you want to go for a discount.

It’s also free to travel to workshops you own.

Also because fast travel costs are based on distance you can often fast travel to a nearby free point and then fast travel again to where you want to go for a discount.

Knew I forgot one. Yeah I use the travel to free ones for a discount trick a lot.

steam_sig.png
  • Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Ghlinn wrote: »
    That Tesla Rifle looks great, Been really liking the mostly basic one I've been running around with. It's amusing to go to the forest and just chain lighting everything down.

Better make sure you turn on pacifist mode if you use it in groups with more than one party though, also don't use it at Whitesprings or any other place where hitting an NPC aggro's the whole complex on you, the chain lightning will spread to them.
    Ghlinn wrote: »

Knew I forgot one. Yeah I use the travel to free ones for a discount trick a lot.

I've had a lot of people add me to friends just to use me as a fast travel point. I always accept because I think its one of you guys. A level 104 guy did it to me right after the Queen raid, I was too dumbfounded as to how he reached 104 so early to be mad though.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • KaimakaKaimaka Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Sirialis wrote: »
    I’m looking for good places for semi permanent CAMP spaces, the golf course is a neat looking place where I’ve put down my CAMP for now and the hotel right next to it has a ton of vendors, unfortunately their caps stash seems like its shared between all of them.

I have a shit ton of stuff to sell but noone to sell it to, I have no idea where we are supposed to get hundreds of thousands caps to pay for all these plans if many vendors have linked caps stashes and only carry a paltry amount of 200 each.

Trying to come up with some creative CAMP blueprints too, the ability to lock doors with master level locks can make my camp into a fortress against other players.

North up the railroad a bit from Whitespring is a Raider vendor in a train station who being a different faction has a different pool of caps. Also in the locked bunker on the Whitespring resort ground (locked behind a string of quests) is another faction with a vendor with yet another pool of money, and drug recipes for stimpack, antibiotics etc. Over to the east is a place called Harpers Ferry that has a Freefolk vendorbot called Winslow.

I think I've found five factions total, so I can make 1000 caps a day selling, or 1300 if I can catch Grahm the Super Merchant

Kaimaka on
    2bas2j6qpsiv.gif
    Switch Friend Code: SW-3349-7357-2013
    3DS Friend code: 3093 8504 2352
  • SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Thats good info, still a moronic economy system that just makes no sense though.

... I just logged in and the CAMP I spent a decent amount of time making yesterday is just gone without a trace.

Thats super.

Sirialis on